My faith in Square Enix is dead.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
Andvari said:
"Zenaxzd said:
"suneku said:
"atejas said:
"Zenaxzd said:

I am more than happy Sakaguchi is gone, personally. Something happened with that guy since he broke Square's bank and a lot of the stuff he works on now seems to be less than good. The only real thing I feel Mistwalker has over SE personally is Nobuo's music. I sorely missed wonderful music in FFXII and am sure I will hate not having him on board in XIII (then again blue dragon had some crappy music overall I thought which I found really weird).
"
Eh, I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I like Lost Odyssey better than any FF I've played. Then again, I have yet to play VI, VIII, and IX.
Lost Odyssey is, in fact, my favourite jrpg. I know."
FFIX is easily my favorite Sakaguchi game of all time, it has many homages to his old school FF games. Blue Dragon sucked, LO was good. That's about all Mistwalker has right now so I have no high hopes for them.

For the record, UEMATSU is doing FF13 music, but he's co-composing it. Still, whenever he co-composes, it still turns out to be classical Uematsu music."
Hmm really on the co-composing it? I could of swore he was only doing the theme again. Still if that is the case then fuck yea that restores a lot of my hope in the quality of the music being up there again. (Also, man I totally love FFIX myself, I just replayed it earlier this year and keep getting the urge to do it again. That ending scene gets me in tears of joy everytime)."

I'm sorry...what?! Hitoshi Sakimoto's score for FFXII was amazing! It was reminiscent of his work on Tactics, large sweeping overtures and developmental pieces that helped bring Ivalice to life. Like Tactics, FFXII was about the plight of nations and war. Before XII, Final Fantasy always focused on the individual characters and their stories, their bouts of amnesia, their secrets, their tales of love. True, FFXII is an incredibly different game from the rest of the series, but it is still a great addition to the lineup.

It's music? Well, Uematsu could never compose the right music for this project. That is not me disparaging his work. Nobuo Uematsu is incredible talented, but his music is incredibly thematic. The use of leitmotifs and specific instruments representing characters and places is obvious, but generally only secluded to a specific piece. This makes for fantastic pieces of work, that are incredibly memorable and poignant. Hitoshi Sakimoto writes much larger works, with more overencompassing thematic elements, and less leitmotifs. It is perfectly suited for this game, which focuses, as previously mentioned, on nations and war instead of individuals.

Maybe that's why a lot of older Square fans do not like the game's story: no amnesiac heroes, not much in push and pull love scenes, and no OMGWTF revelations (except maybe for Balthier). I digress: in the defense of the music, maybe they are not the most memorable pieces--no one pulls them out during dinner parties--but they are epic and worthy of respect."
Hello random person with 1 post, go read other FF threads I've posted in before typing so much text about how great XII is, since you are just preaching to the choir to me since its my favorite in the main numbered series.

Still though, besides a few of the tracks (a lot of which reappeared in FFTA2 oddly enough) I dislike XII's soundtrack greatly.
#52 Posted by DJGhostmare (71 posts) -
Zenaxzd said:
"Andvari said:
"Zenaxzd said:
"suneku said:
"atejas said:
"Zenaxzd said:

I am more than happy Sakaguchi is gone, personally. Something happened with that guy since he broke Square's bank and a lot of the stuff he works on now seems to be less than good. The only real thing I feel Mistwalker has over SE personally is Nobuo's music. I sorely missed wonderful music in FFXII and am sure I will hate not having him on board in XIII (then again blue dragon had some crappy music overall I thought which I found really weird).
"
Eh, I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I like Lost Odyssey better than any FF I've played. Then again, I have yet to play VI, VIII, and IX.
Lost Odyssey is, in fact, my favourite jrpg. I know."
FFIX is easily my favorite Sakaguchi game of all time, it has many homages to his old school FF games. Blue Dragon sucked, LO was good. That's about all Mistwalker has right now so I have no high hopes for them.

For the record, UEMATSU is doing FF13 music, but he's co-composing it. Still, whenever he co-composes, it still turns out to be classical Uematsu music."
Hmm really on the co-composing it? I could of swore he was only doing the theme again. Still if that is the case then fuck yea that restores a lot of my hope in the quality of the music being up there again. (Also, man I totally love FFIX myself, I just replayed it earlier this year and keep getting the urge to do it again. That ending scene gets me in tears of joy everytime)."

I'm sorry...what?! Hitoshi Sakimoto's score for FFXII was amazing! It was reminiscent of his work on Tactics, large sweeping overtures and developmental pieces that helped bring Ivalice to life. Like Tactics, FFXII was about the plight of nations and war. Before XII, Final Fantasy always focused on the individual characters and their stories, their bouts of amnesia, their secrets, their tales of love. True, FFXII is an incredibly different game from the rest of the series, but it is still a great addition to the lineup.

It's music? Well, Uematsu could never compose the right music for this project. That is not me disparaging his work. Nobuo Uematsu is incredible talented, but his music is incredibly thematic. The use of leitmotifs and specific instruments representing characters and places is obvious, but generally only secluded to a specific piece. This makes for fantastic pieces of work, that are incredibly memorable and poignant. Hitoshi Sakimoto writes much larger works, with more overencompassing thematic elements, and less leitmotifs. It is perfectly suited for this game, which focuses, as previously mentioned, on nations and war instead of individuals.

Maybe that's why a lot of older Square fans do not like the game's story: no amnesiac heroes, not much in push and pull love scenes, and no OMGWTF revelations (except maybe for Balthier). I digress: in the defense of the music, maybe they are not the most memorable pieces--no one pulls them out during dinner parties--but they are epic and worthy of respect."
Hello random person with 1 post, go read other FF threads I've posted in before typing so much text about how great XII is, since you are just preaching to the choir to me since its my favorite in the main numbered series.

Still though, besides a few of the tracks (a lot of which reappeared in FFTA2 oddly enough) I dislike XII's soundtrack greatly.
"
Ugh, last time I use quotes, because I meant to be general and not aimed at anyone in particular. So I apologize if I offended you, but I only meant to give in my two cents on the subject. Yet, you must admit that there is this general fervour for Nobuo Uematsu, this unmitigated fandom from most people who can name any of his songs, but are oblivious to any works by any other Japanese composer. It was the general blasting of FFXII, and non-Uematsu music, that prompted my opinion. What I wrote meant to be an opinion on the subject, not an attempt at converting anyone, you included. If anything, I am happy to see someone else who feels strongly about that game as well.

And at the topic of random, I spend my time on the site updating wikis instead of posting on the forums. Sure I have one post, but you have to start somewhere, right?

P.S.: The reappearance of these tracks, I would assume, are most likely to create recurring themes throughout the games featuring Ivalice. I haven't heard those versions as of yet (Lord knows I have barely the time to get to FFTA2), so I wonder, are they direct ports, or reorchestrated versions?
#53 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I am playing Chrono Trigger at the moment, for the first time. I never got around to play that game.

Mind you, I don't usually enjoy "classics", most of the time I feel that the appeal people say these games have comes 90% from nostalgia. But Chrono Trigger, without a doubt, in almost every regard is a better game than Final Fantasy X and every Square-game that came after.

I think that's interesting.

#54 Edited by BoG (5187 posts) -

Yeah, I wish they were good again, like they were in 1997-98. Busahido Blade, Einhander, Ehrgeiz, Power Skates, Chocobo's Dungeon, Chocobo's Racing... Those were the days.

Also, shame on everyone who didn't like FFXII. All those who hate on FFX, though, kudos.
#55 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

In my opinion RPG's are "lesser games" in this modern time.

#56 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
Gizmo said:
"In my opinion RPG's are "lesser games" in this modern time."
Like Fallout 3?
#57 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I love Squeenix as much as the next-

As much as those dudes on forums about Final Fantasy but come to think of it they haven't made a fantastic non-port or remake game since maybe even FFX, unless you like Dragon Quest....which I definitely do. 11 was an MMO that wasn't that great, FFXII was just BAD. I guess The World Ends With You and Crisis Core are exceptions, but those are portable games.

I'll buy FFXIII no matter what but it's kind of depressing to see how Japanese devs are really declining on Consoles this generation. Hoo-rah for Capcom I guess.
I really don't know why I have such fanboy love for them though....I mean, the only main FF game I've actually beaten is I and II. I'm on the last dungeon in 6 but I don't wanna grind, I'm a good half way through 4 and 5 but I believe I'm lost, I own 3 but I just can't stand it anymore and I'm about 20 hours into FF7 but I just don't care enough to play it.

#58 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -
Red said:
"they haven't made a fantastic non-port or remake game since maybe even FFX, unless you like Dragon Quest....which I definitely do. 11 was an MMO that wasn't that great, FFXII was just BAD. I guess The World Ends With You and Crisis Core are exceptions, but those are portable games."
Portable games or not, they are still fantastic titles worth noting, especially WEWY. Whatever console it is on, it can stand with the best of previous years. You're also forgetting the original Kingdom Hearts, and lesser known titles like Radiata Stories. I'd also love to know how XII was bad, it was a fantastic title.
#59 Edited by Red (5994 posts) -
BoG said:
"Red said:
"they haven't made a fantastic non-port or remake game since maybe even FFX, unless you like Dragon Quest....which I definitely do. 11 was an MMO that wasn't that great, FFXII was just BAD. I guess The World Ends With You and Crisis Core are exceptions, but those are portable games."
Portable games or not, they are still fantastic titles worth noting, especially WEWY. Whatever console it is on, it can stand with the best of previous years. You're also forgetting the original Kingdom Hearts, and lesser known titles like Radiata Stories. I'd also love to know how XII was bad, it was a fantastic title."
Here's where we come to a crossroads of opinion my moderator friend. TWEWY is fantastic, it's probably one of my favorite games. Ever.
Problem is that Squeenix said they won't make another because it was so unique and weird it wouldn't sell. Sucks. Royally.
I also don't see the point of Kingdom Hearts, say what you will about how much you love the story, graphics, music, voice acting, characters I guess I could see your point there but as a game it blows. Gameplay is just horrible. I tried so hard to like KH but I just couldn't get over that annoying gameplay leap.

XII was a mess. It's not bad but it is bad for a Roman numeral. The combat system was just so boring, story wasn't much and Balthier was the only likable character. I like Final Fantasy for being able to tell an awesome story, with awesome characters, awesome music, cutting-edge graphics and at-least exciting gameplay that puts you in control of your favorite characters.
XII just didn't feel like you were in control of anything. It's like if Mass Effect was an RTS....and had a lot of grinding.....and license boards....and the key Final Fantasy ease to get lost.
#60 Posted by Robot_Vampire (49 posts) -

I think that their games have been of suib par recently but they still take pride in the FF series, so we can all look forward to FFXIII hopefully =).

#61 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -
Red said:
"BoG said:
"Red said:
Portable games or not, they are still fantastic titles worth noting, especially WEWY. Whatever console it is on, it can stand with the best of previous years. You're also forgetting the original Kingdom Hearts, and lesser known titles like Radiata Stories. I'd also love to know how XII was bad, it was a fantastic title."
Here's where we come to a crossroads of opinion my moderator friend. TWEWY is fantastic, it's probably one of my favorite games. Ever.
Problem is that Squeenix said they won't make another because it was so unique and weird it wouldn't sell. Sucks. Royally.
I also don't see the point of Kingdom Hearts, say what you will about how much you love the story, graphics, music, voice acting, characters I guess I could see your point there but as a game it blows. Gameplay is just horrible. I tried so hard to like KH but I just couldn't get over that annoying gameplay leap.

XII was a mess. It's not bad but it is bad for a Roman numeral. The combat system was just so boring, story wasn't much and Balthier was the only likable character. I like Final Fantasy for being able to tell an awesome story, with awesome characters, awesome music, cutting-edge graphics and at-least exciting gameplay that puts you in control of your favorite characters.
XII just didn't feel like you were in control of anything. It's like if Mass Effect was an RTS....and had a lot of grinding.....and license boards....and the key Final Fantasy ease to get lost.
"
I don't like KH either, but so many people love it, the success is undeniable.
As for XII, it is a matter of tastes. I loved the gameplay, I found it deep and addictive. The story I found to be a fascinating tale of political intrigue and a conflict unlike any other we've seen in games. The only characters I really found bland were Vaan and Penelo, but they were just copypastes of previous FF characters.
#62 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

^^^

So the main characters sucked, but the rest were OK?
I guess I can't try to argue over whether FFXII was good or not but it's just way too middle of the road. You don't hear that many people arguing whether FFVI was good or not do you? I just hope FFXIII does something similar to what Valkyria Chronicles did: take a concept we've seen and done before and then add a cool gameplay hook and something to make it different. Then add on the Final Fantasy production values and we got a classic.
#63 Posted by ChestyMcGee (135 posts) -

It all went down hill when Final Fantasy X came out. FF7, 8 and 9 are some of the best games ever, all deserving 9/10 or more. I wouldn't give FF10 more than 7/10.

#64 Posted by pweidman (2319 posts) -

Based on TLR, there's plenty of reason to have faith in SE.  How many in this thread have actually played it???   Very few I'm sure.  Well I have beaten it, and most of the DLC.  There is room for criticism for sure.  The game must be loaded to the HDD to perform well...damn shame.  There is no doubt in my mind the game was pushed out.  There are some design flaws as well that I would hope SE addresses in a sequel.  That said, I sure hope they make a sequel(left very open at the very end of credits), because the game is a blast, and oh so addictive.  The battle system is very fun to tinker with, maybe a little too constrictive(the design stuff I mentioned) and random in order choices, but getting the right formations, and the correct members in the unions to beat the boss at hand is very fun and extremely satisfying when successful.  The story is ok, but the cutscenes, graphics, art and monster models, as is the sound in the game, effects and music,  are all amazing.  GO play the game, give it a DL, and a chance, and you'll be surprised how good, addictive, and challenging the gameplay is.  Much better than blindly judging SE, and trusting rushed reviews by reviewers that didn't bother to do that.

#65 Posted by kokushishin (1 posts) -

I don't like the slew of hack 'n slash games, but that's about it.  

Both companies have rereleased games for decades and the current batch is actually pretty good.  I wish SD III would be among them or as a VC release, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

Last Remnant is basically a tile-less wargame.   Install is your friend, and  large armies tend not to be as purty.  It's amazing how much of the qqing is basically about GRAFFIX.

#66 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

They sure do piss me off. I have already ranted about them on site a few times before.

#67 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I've been on Square-free diet for a few years (aside from trying MLAAK), but several of their upcoming titles intrigue me :)

#68 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

All Square puts out is just Final Fantasy games, and also trying to appeal to the western market--people who are not really into JRPG--by making games only for the 360 like Star Ocean. I remember they made kick-ass games that were not Final Fantasy games, like Xenogear,Tobal, etc.

#69 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Eh, this gen they only have been doing one classic FF title, they've been pretty creative otherwise with the CC brand's different directions, Star Ocean, The Last Remnant, more Kingdom Hearts (for the DS no less) and a couple of other titles like The World Ends With You and ... Well, people have already mentioned most so, yeah. I'm pumped for the next Dragon Quest and CC titles personally. DQ for the classic JRPG and CC for those creative different titles they used to make, despite its brand name. Agreed about Xenogears being an incredible title.

#70 Posted by MidnightCoat (1 posts) -

Well let's make this simple:
FFI -> FFX was good right ? I agree
We the fans wanted a FF-X2. The developers never intended to make a X2 so they rushed it... And the result.. Not all that great.
Then they made FF-XI which was an MMO so we can't really count this one in the series.
after this came FF-XII Which was new and different then the previous Final Fantasy game.
The game was still great to my opinion and it was pretty challenging. The game was just different. So I wont say was a failure 'cause it was good.

Then came FF-XIII Which was a total failure because of just how linear it was. But they made up to it in FF-XIII2, the game was confusing but at least you had a better gameplay, it was the opposite of linear.

After that came the 2nd MMO FFXIV. Never played it..

And now FFXV is coming out it looks pretty good and it's adapted to today's technology.

So in conclusion after FFX they failed 2 games (X-2 and XIII) and 2 other games where MMO. I think you should wait a bit until FFXV comes out. If the game sucks then yeah Square Enix is crashing, if it doesn't they learned from their mistakes.

#71 Edited by Demoskinos (14737 posts) -

@midnightcoat: And how pray-tell does XIII being linear at all speak to its quality or lack thereof? Especially with vast sections of Final Fantasy X a game seemingly everyone admires has huge chunks of the game that are extremely linear?

#72 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10868 posts) -

Locked because of necro-ing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.