Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Square Enix Expects $150 Million Loss For Last Year- Nomura Sighs

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools, 

Square Enix expects losses of over 150 million this year, also known as over -200% loss if you want to get fancy with percentages.  Square Enix blames the earthquake for the most part.  Final Fantasy XIV had nothing to do with it, it was mostly the earthquake.  Seriously, apparently Square Enix lost most their money in March due to repairs, costs to maintain, developments closing, etc.  Plus all the money they lost on FFXIV for not being up for a while.  

On the bright side, Versus XIII is still due out for late 2012, so all will be well in Square Enix's 2013 fiscal report...as every Kingdom Hearts fan, Nomura fan, and hardcore Final Fantasy fan have been expecting this game since 2005.

Nomura is still keeping Versus XIII exclusive to the PS3, and he can casually confirm that his name alone will sell more copies than FFXIII did.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Investors should now really be questioning why Versus is an exclusive.  They need the money and I very much doubt Normua's name is going to sell the game (certainly not outside of Japan), especially after the travesty that was FFXIII, not to mention that by next year we're going to have at least one next-gen system.  Are fanboy-ish loyalties really worth risking putting the company out of business?

Not that this bothers me, I'm hoping the game fails, simply so he has less control over the series in the future.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Investors should now really be questioning why Versus is an exclusive.  They need the money and I very much doubt Normua's name is going to sell the game (certainly not outside of Japan), especially after the travesty that was FFXIII, not to mention that by next year we're going to have at least one next-gen system.  Are fanboy-ish loyalties really worth risking putting the company out of business?

Not that this bothers me, I'm hoping the game fails, simply so he has less control over the series in the future.
    "
    I'm still baffled by the notion that FFXIII was a travesty.  The game sold well and found an audience.  That it didn't live up to the overblown expectations of people with no idea of what they should have expected isn't cause to call it a disaster.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Hailinel:It was a bad game in a long running series of good games.  It sold decently, but well below expectations and it generally disliked by gamers and fans (yes, it has a following, but so does FFVIII).  I consider that a disappointment and that had nothing to do with hype.  If you liked it, great..  For me, the only way I think I could be interested in another FF game would be if they done an XBLA/PSN title, in a similar style to the classic games. 
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By animateria
    @Hailinel said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Investors should now really be questioning why Versus is an exclusive.  They need the money and I very much doubt Normua's name is going to sell the game (certainly not outside of Japan), especially after the travesty that was FFXIII, not to mention that by next year we're going to have at least one next-gen system.  Are fanboy-ish loyalties really worth risking putting the company out of business?

"
    I'm still baffled by the notion that FFXIII was a travesty.  The game sold well and found an audience.  That it didn't live up to the overblown expectations of people with no idea of what they should have expected isn't cause to call it a disaster. "
    Agreed. FFXIII was plenty fine as a JRPG. 

I enjoyed the fact that it trimmed all the excess fat that a lot of JRPGs had/have and just gets down to business. 

Could have had less time Tutorializing but that's pretty much my only big compliant.

Besides, this incredible loss is due to the Japanese disaster, not really because of FFXIII. 
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By C2C
    @KaosAngel said:
    "Nomura is still keeping Versus XIII exclusive to the PS3, and he can casually confirm that his name alone will sell more copies than FFXIII did."
    Call me crazy, but I really don't think that Versus XIII is going to sell more.  XIII was fine but it did get a lot of hate because of its flaws not to mention the general hate that comes with every final fantasy title.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @C2C said:
    "Call me crazy, but I really don't think that Versus XIII is going to sell more.  XIII was fine but it did get a lot of hate because of its flaws not to mention the general hate that comes with every final fantasy title. "
    Yeah but Versus XIII is pretty much Kingdom Hearts.  I mean, just slap on the KH logo and no one would know the difference.  The game has constantly been in the top 3 most wanted games in Japan since 2005 and it has yet to drop...everyone's wanted VXIII over the regular XIII.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @animateria said:
    " Besides, this incredible loss is due to the Japanese disaster, not really because of FFXIII. "
    Nah... it's due to XIV.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

With all the earthquake shenanigans going on over there, it wouldn't surprise me if FFv13 got delayed.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @JJOR64 said:
    " With all the earthquake shenanigans going on over there, it wouldn't surprise me if FFv13 got delayed. "
    Bro, that shit already coming late 2012 for Japan...let's not say shit that no one wants.  The sooner V13 comes out, the sooner KH3 comes out.  
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

enough final fantasy, please.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By C2C
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @C2C said:
    "Call me crazy, but I really don't think that Versus XIII is going to sell more.  XIII was fine but it did get a lot of hate because of its flaws not to mention the general hate that comes with every final fantasy title. "
    Yeah but Versus XIII is pretty much Kingdom Hearts.  I mean, just slap on the KH logo and no one would know the difference.  The game has constantly been in the top 3 most wanted games in Japan since 2005 and it has yet to drop...everyone's wanted VXIII over the regular XIII. "
    You see, that's Japan.  I am interested in seeing how the game does on an international level after the polarizing response XIII had.  It doesn't matter if the gameplay is great if the quality of the Final Fantasy brand went down in the eyes of the consumer. Especially since it does have XIII on the title :/   
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Cornman89

I doubt Nomura's name is as marketable as you seem to think it is.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy

Even if Uematsu came back for Versus, his prescence alone would mean more than Nomura. Sakaguchi's return would be the end of all beings. Why did he leave SE anyway?

Nomura is simply the next best thing. He made some successful action RPGs and so since all the ACTUAL talent left SE they had to turn to Nomura.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:

"
    I'm still baffled by the notion that FFXIII was a travesty.  The game sold well and found an audience.  That it didn't live up to the overblown expectations of people with no idea of what they should have expected isn't cause to call it a disaster. "
    Star Wars prequels sold well and found and audience and they are clearly a travesty too.  Lame excuse for poor logic son.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Cornman89 said:

" I doubt Nomura's name is as marketable as you seem to think it is. "

Are you insane?!  Dude, look at Kingdom Hearts sales.  KH is the only thing that has been making Square Enix the most money....Nomura literary gave Square Enix their most profitable franchise in the past decade.  His fanbase is fucking huge with his artwork and story telling.  Kingdom Hearts alone made his name into stardom.  
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Cornman89 said:

Are you insane?!  Dude, look at Kingdom Hearts sales.  KH is the only thing that has been making Square Enix the most money....Nomura literary gave Square Enix their most profitable franchise in the past decade.  His face base is fucking huge with his artwork and story telling.  Kingdom Hearts alone made his name into stardom.   "
    Kingdom Hearts is popular because it's Final Fantasy fanwank with Disney elements.  I don't think Nomura has anything to do with what makes it popular, besides making characters that appeal to the 14 year old emo/hoody wearing fanbase.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By dagas

At this point I can't imagine being exited by anything SquareEnix makes. I've bought FFX-2, FFXII and FFXIII, but I've not really cared much since FFX. I've yet to finish FFXII and FFXIII. Persona 3 and 4 are pretty much the only JRPG's that have managed to really excite me the last decade.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

They should probably merge with a company that knows how to oversee their shit. Like Capcom.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cornman89
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Cornman89 said:

Are you insane?!  Dude, look at Kingdom Hearts sales.  KH is the only thing that has been making Square Enix the most money....Nomura literary gave Square Enix their most profitable franchise in the past decade.  His face base is fucking huge with his artwork and story telling.  Kingdom Hearts alone made his name into stardom.   "
    I don't entirely disagree. Kingdom Hearts has been very kind to Square's bottom line. You could even make the argument that KH is currently their most valuable IP. But so what? There are very few auteurs in the game industry. KH's popularity as a brand doesn't suddenly make Nomura one of them. I think you're overestimating how much of the potential audience even know his name.
    Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheBlindChessman

His face base is fucking huge

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By xyzygy
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

" @Cornman89 said:

Kingdom Hearts is popular because it's Final Fantasy fanwank with Disney elements.  I don't think Nomura has anything to do with what makes it popular, besides making characters that appeal to the 14 year old emo/hoody wearing fanbase. "
    LMAO this perfectly describes his fanbase!! hahaha good one :)
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

It's funny because V13 is going to sell shockingly outside of Japan.

The kind of kid who likes Kingdom Hearts probably doesn't know the name of the Publisher, let alone the writer/artist whatever the fuck that dude even does.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of people wanking over the name Nomura being attached to this is probably not any bigger than the fanbases who went crazy over KH cause it had "Sephy-poo" and Cloud or that it had the Nightmare Before Christmas in it and they ain't aching over any Versus XIII release.

I just don't see him as a big enough name to bank on by it's lonesome like a Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinji Mikami or whatever since even after what is it, 15 years? he's still in that Square bubble that Uematsu is still THE name in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.