Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Square Enix Producing Another MMO for Some Reason

• 110 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Despite the fact that the publisher hasn't exactly had the best track record with MMO development thus far-- Final Fantasy XI was tepidly received, but managed a decent audience following; Final Fantasy XIV...not so much--Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada seems awfully sure of the company's ability to develop and maintain a bunch of these things.

I don't know what the hell that is, but it seemed like a pretty good visual metaphor for Final Fantasy XIV. Because it's weird, and on fire.
    I don't know what the hell that is, but it seemed like a pretty good visual metaphor for Final Fantasy XIV. Because it's weird, and on fire.

In a transcript posted yesterday of the publisher's May 13th earnings call--which was translated by Andriasang--Wada stated that the company has a new MMO title in development that the company hopes to announce in this fiscal year. What that title is, exactly, is unclear at the moment, but it is something separate from the current titles Squeenix already maintains. Wada believes that the company having two-to-three different online subscription-based titles will help maintain the company's cash flow.

That probably doesn't do much to quell the seething hate currently residing within anyone still playing Final Fantasy XIV. Wada did apparently go out of his way to mention the problems currently plaguing that title and to state that fixing it will take a little longer, but that a "target" is in sight. So that's reassuring. Probably. Okay, not really.

Also, no word yet on that PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV, but I'm guessing there's not very many of you out there still keeping a candle burning for that one.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Despite the fact that the publisher hasn't exactly had the best track record with MMO development thus far-- Final Fantasy XI was tepidly received, but managed a decent audience following; Final Fantasy XIV...not so much--Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada seems awfully sure of the company's ability to develop and maintain a bunch of these things.

In a transcript posted yesterday of the publisher's May 13th earnings call--which was translated by Andriasang--Wada stated that the company has a new MMO title in development that the company hopes to announce in this fiscal year. What that title is, exactly, is unclear at the moment, but it is something separate from the current titles Squeenix already maintains. Wada believes that the company having two-to-three different online subscription-based titles will help maintain the company's cash flow.

That probably doesn't do much to quell the seething hate currently residing within anyone still playing Final Fantasy XIV. Wada did apparently go out of his way to mention the problems currently plaguing that title and to state that fixing it will take a little longer, but that a "target" is in sight. So that's reassuring. Probably. Okay, not really.

Also, no word yet on that PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV, but I'm guessing there's not very many of you out there still keeping a candle burning for that one.

Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Mechwing

One word. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sayishere

Oh my, Square Enix stop it...STOP IT, stop.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

whyyyyyy indeed 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People need to stop making MMOs.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By groin

Alex writes the best headlines. I always know he wrote the article from the headline alone.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Because they did such a fine job with FFXIV

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Norusdog
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    People need to stop making bad MMOs.
    fixed for ya.
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sil3n7

Great title and caption.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beforet

Third time's the charm, mother fuckers! WOOO

Edit: How...did I get the First! quest with that?

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By Little_Socrates

XD This is gonna be what they announce at E3 instead of Kingdom Hearts III? I love you, Square. YOU SO SILLY!

Maddoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Maddoc
    @Mechwing said:
    One word. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    Probably because FFXI has basically been the only thing keeping them in business for years now
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta
    @Norusdog said:
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    fixed for ya.
    do you mean 95% of them
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

MMO's that don't do that well must still make obscene amounts of money, because so many people seem to be quite willing to make more of them despite the overall lack of success in most cases.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Norusdog said:
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    fixed for ya.  
    Saying bad MMOs is a little redundant. 

Also squareenix is fucking crazy right now. I have no idea what they're trying for in the publishing world. Maybe just throwing everything at a wall to see what sticks. 
    xeroxkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xeroxkitty

Squenix MMO's make baby Chocobos cry.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ventilaator

FFXV GOOOOOOOOOO

buhssuht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buhssuht

they r making a new one because they know 14 was so bad and it's too late to fix it.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By ShadowKnight508
    @Mechwing said:

One word. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Agreed...with the flop that was FFXIV, why would they bother doing another MMO? I want my Kingdom Hearts III, Square Enix....not more MMO's *shakes head*
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Maddoc: Your kidding me right,  that game has been out for years! they have released   so many games since then that have been successful and others not, ya they make money of finafantasy 11 but that is not their main cashflow.  Not as many people play that game now but there is still a very good community going on.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bestostero

Final Fantasy XI was good, but Final Fantasy XIV was DREADFUl!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sixpin

I remember when Square mattered. I blame The Spirits Within for the downfall of one of my former favorite publishers.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

Maybe they should start making old-school turn based RPGs again. They seemed to be doing just fine when they were making those, and I'd be happy to buy them.

drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By drew327

Image caption hilarious, LOL

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By elyhaym

Just... stop, Square. Just stop. 
    It ain't even funny anymore. You've become akin to a chicken with its head cut off, flailing spastically about in a feeble attempt to recapture your former glory and it is quite frankly beyond sad now.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By tebbit

Please God don't sully another core Final Fantasy title for this. Ever since 11 it's been hit and miss, and now with XIV to bookend that weird batch, FFXV is gonna be a return to form!

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lokilaufey

It'll be interesting to see where they go with this. SE seems to be a lot about experimentation lately (much to the chagrin of their more closeminded fans, it seems) and seems FFXIV's trouble really didn't get them down about it. I honestly don't care if they want to make this as long as they keep putting out solid singleplayer experiences too. In my opinion, they have.

On the other hand, I could just mimic the most common response I've seen to this kind of news across the internet: "STUPID SQUARE ENIX HOW DARE YOU EXPERIMENT, HOW DARE YOU TRY NEW THINGS OR TRY AGAIN AFTER A FAILURE, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO CATER TO ME A SINGULAR AMERICAN CUSTOMER YOU'VE NEVER MET! SDKJFHKSDFLDGLH!!"

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Kyle
    @chickenpotpi said:
    It'll be interesting to see where they go with this. SE seems to be a lot about experimentation lately (much to the chagrin of their more closeminded fans, it seems) and seems FFXIV's trouble really didn't get them down about it. I honestly don't care if they want to make this as long as they keep putting out solid singleplayer experiences too. In my opinion, they have. On the other hand, I could just mimic the most common response I've seen to this kind of news across the internet: "STUPID SQUARE ENIX HOW DARE YOU EXPERIMENT, HOW DARE YOU TRY NEW THINGS OR TRY AGAIN AFTER A FAILURE, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO CATER TO ME A SINGULAR AMERICAN CUSTOMER YOU'VE NEVER MET! SDKJFHKSDFLDGLH!!"
    So putting out an unfinished, functionally broken MMO and then firing their development staff is called experimenting these days? We live in strange times, indeed.
    walterbennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By walterbennet

Square's gonna cut to the chase for this title, and call it WORLD OF WARCRAFT KILLER: THE MMORPG.

Hippolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hippolord
    @groin said:
    Alex writes the best headlines. I always know he wrote the article from the headline alone.
    This
    thiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thiz

Square Enix is slowly turning into one of the worst companys. The only thing thats rescuing them is the (hopefuly) good remakes that Eidos are making with Thief 4, Deus Ex 3 and maybe Legacy of Kain 6.

Summoboomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Summoboomo
    @chickenpotpi: Well, when a company puts out a game like Final Fantasy XIV, a game so bad they were too embarrassed to charge their monthly subscription fee, one can understand why people would be hesitant to jump on board the next MMO train. Square doesn't have any good faith stored up with most of their MMO fanbase. It's understandable to look at this announcement and then just laugh.

Because, you know, it turns out these guys don't really know how to make MMOs, and lost a lot of money on their last MMO, so clearly the answer is to make another MMO.
    admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By admanb

FFXIV is out?

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By elyhaym
    @chickenpotpi said:
    It'll be interesting to see where they go with this. SE seems to be a lot about experimentation lately (much to the chagrin of their more closeminded fans, it seems) and seems FFXIV's trouble really didn't get them down about it. I honestly don't care if they want to make this as long as they keep putting out solid singleplayer experiences too. In my opinion, they have. On the other hand, I could just mimic the most common response I've seen to this kind of news across the internet: "STUPID SQUARE ENIX HOW DARE YOU EXPERIMENT, HOW DARE YOU TRY NEW THINGS OR TRY AGAIN AFTER A FAILURE, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO CATER TO ME A SINGULAR AMERICAN CUSTOMER YOU'VE NEVER MET! SDKJFHKSDFLDGLH!!"
    Solid singleplayer experiences, you say? Haaaave you met Mindjack?
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Norusdog
    @XII_Sniper said:
    @Norusdog said:
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    fixed for ya.  
    Saying bad MMOs is a little too common now-a-days.  Also squareenix is fucking crazy right now. I have no idea what they're trying for in the publishing world. Maybe just throwing everything at a wall to see what sticks. 
    fixed for you as well :-D
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Norusdog
    @Laketown said:
    @Norusdog said:
    @TripMasterMunky said:
    fixed for ya.
    do you mean 95% of them
    more like 85-90% of em ya.  They try to copy each other too much (rift vs wow) or are just plain terrible (FFXIV)
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By meteora

Making multiple of half-ass MMOs is worse than having a decent or good MMO.

RXSideEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RXSideEffect

Lets be honest...when was the last year Square mattered? What happened to games like Einhander, Xenogears, and I guess you could call them "classic FF" games? This company has been developing in a vacuum for a decade now. Any goodwill they got for XI is and should be gone. I don't mean to rant but these guys really did make great games back in the day..I dunno best of luck to you Square but Im not gonna hold my breath on any project they have in mind 

Caldacity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Caldacity

I know chasing Blizzard is pretty pointless now, but I don't see how running 3 average games concordantly is any better that spending time making 1 great game...development costs and time should be fairly equal. It's not like Square Enix are running a Torchlight operation where they legitimately need cash to continue with any other product, is it?!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Viisven said:
    I know chasing Blizzard is pretty pointless now, but I don't see how running 3 average games concordantly is any better that spending time making 1 great game...development costs and time should be fairly equal. It's not like Square Enix are running a Torchlight operation where they legitimately need cash to continue with any other product, is it?!
    Yes, they are continuously losing money on projects like FFXIII, because of the massive development costs.   
    MMO's are a quick and dirty method of making money, they cost little to run but people seem willing to keep paying the subscription fee's. 

Though I do have to give them credit for waiving the fee for XIV until they think it's good enough.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mcfart

About 11 months ago they said they were intending on fixing FF14 cause they knew how bad it was. Guess some guy was just like "fuck it, lets put this behind us and try again".

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Let's just let this franchise die for a while...please? Make proper RPGS square...just forget about this crap!

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Phoenix87

The definition of insanity is making the same mistake and expecting a different result. Hang it up Square Enix. Seriously.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#46  Edited By Mento  Moderator

MMOs only make crazy money if you're willing to invest a lot of server- and manpower on making sure it runs smoothly and updates regularly. If Squeenix is just treating them as some kind of necessary evil to bankroll their other projects, it's no wonder FFXIV turned out the way it did.

Though to be fair, creating shoddy MMOs is a much better business strategy than creating shoddy CGI movies.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phish09

Part of me feels that Squenix should just stop making games at all for the time being. Just take a step back and look at your place in the industry and maybe start fresh in a few years when you have some original ideas to bring to the table. I'm worried that they have done nothing but tarnish their reputation in the last 5 years or so, and if it keeps up they will lose the Western market entirely.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vinsanityv22

Jeez Alex; could you write that article with any more cynicism, please? ;)

Yes FFXIV is a bit of a disaster. But Square still ran FF11 successfully. They keep trying to do newer, more interesting, more charming MMOs too - like the short-lived Fantasy Earth Zero (short lived here in the US anyway; it's pretty successful in Japan and China). And also that Wakfu game with the great sprite art.

So lay off the cynicism man. If they're bringing on more interesting MMOs, and pushing them as hard as a Final Fantasy, than this can only be a good thing. There's a lot more people working on things there than just the FFXIV team.

Of course, all the Tetsuya Nomura led teams suck there too currently. *sigh*

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Creigz

Square Enix needs to stick with what they know from now on. Unfortunately they have dollarsigns (or Yen signs?) in their eyes after seeing how much money Blizzard and other companies with paid subscriptions make. They don't want to downsize the company and unfortunately their only real big seller is Final Fantasy, and they can't pull an Activision on that series and release one every year.  

-If anyone at Square Enix comes across this...don't release a Final Fantasy every year..please.

Sammann31415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sammann31415

I think this isn't what we think it is.  

Just because Sqenix is releasing a game doesn't mean it's their FF studio by any means - it could be from a small studio.  It could also be a low-budget, sprite-based thing along the lines of Dungeon Fighter - you know, something that could be run on any machine, browser-based, cheap to play, integrated with Facebook or iOS or both.   Maybe a Kingdom Hearts-based MMO brawler.

With the exception of Guild Wars 2, that's pretty much the only kind of MMO I'd be interested in at the moment, and I don't think the more MMO-focused gamers would trust Square with another big-budget thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.