Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Square Enix Producing Another MMO for Some Reason

• 110 results
    paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By paulunga

I could've sworn that Final Fantasy XI had the second biggest market share and subscriber base for a good, long while there. I mean, it's still gotta be selling pretty decently, they released the "Ultimate Collection" on Steam less than a year ago and are currently offering the "Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition" (only difference - kinda overpowered exclusive item that makes the first 30 levels less of a hassle).

Edit: Also, I still want my True Fantasy Live Online, Level-5. :(

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By splodge

Square Enix... modern day Zeerust game creators. (?!)

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By bonbolapti

A new MMO because they want to do it right this time.

seriously...

for reals....

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe they need another game to bring in the revenue because XIV isn't bring in the cash.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Heh, as soon as I read the blurb to this article I knew it was written by Alex x)

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#56  Edited By TadThuggish

Anybody want to hear a joke?  Okay. 

Square Enix.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Toxin066

Really? Another one? I can't help but view Square Enix as the Titanic. For a long while, I thought it was an unsinkable ship where my hopes for good games could rest easy. Now, my expectations are pushing women and children out of the way to get into one of the longboats. 

I mean, fuck. What happened to SE?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#58  Edited By sammo21

When you know you're gonna fail, fail big.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never much cared for any of Square-Enix's games, but I can't help but feel kinda sorry for them. They seem to be attempting to take the Nintendo route of "lets make games only for our diehard fans", but the problem there is that Nintendo can do that because they have such a large base. Outside of the diehard FF community, no one really cares about Square. I also think they have some false delusion that owning Eidos is enough to keep them connected to Western gaming, which is completely false.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By StrikeALight

This is just going to be another train wreck. FFXIV was unbelievably bad...even by MMO standards.

So out of touch.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By kerikxi

If Squeenix is seriously putting out another MMO, they need to shop it out to somebody else. Some studio they swallowed up must be able to produce a playable game. I played FFXI for years, but it was never not broken. It looks like 14 is doomed to the same fate.

talideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By talideon

I think this amounts to Square saying, "Dude, we're screwed! We need something we can milk subscribers for their sweet nutritious money with."

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By feigr

I'm always interested in new MMOs, even though I might not be very interested in playing them.

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By WrathOfBanja

Wada believes that the company having two-to-three different online subscription-based titles will help maintain the company's cash flow.

Because people are going to just play all of them, right? Pretty sure that's what all these MMOers do...

Skotina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Skotina

Oh c'mon, I understand that they have several guys paying monthly fees but hey, don't they see the the stupidity of their decisions? lol

knightlyknave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By knightlyknave

God, what is wrong with Squeenix? They are running their company into the ground.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Junpei

I stand by my long standing opinion that the downfall began with the merger. You had two companies competing and making each other better. Now you have one company lazily making titles that are lackluster and lacking any innovation. I miss Square Soft.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Vexxan

Pic caption made me laugh.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Romination

I guess Squenix just got tired of being a company.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#70  Edited By LordAndrew

Please don't be a numbered a numbered Final Fantasy MMO. Please don't be a Final Fantasy MMO.

Please don't be an MMO.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lokilaufey
    @Summoboomo: You're acting like XI doesn't exist. That did incredibly well in Japan, and has a cult following in US. They made XIV to try and continue that, but failed utterly. I'm not saying they didn't royally fuck up on XIV, they are just trying yet a second time to try and recapture what they had with XI. Though whether they learned from XIV at all is another matter entirely.
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Cubical

Unless it is secret of mana or chrono trigger  MMO and they are changeing there name back to square Soft and making good games again that are not endless crap final fantasy games starting with final fanatsy 7.

I dont give a fuck..  

Hell I would even take secret of evermore MMO  just to see if square can make anything other than crap final fantasy games again.  (Hint Tthey can not thats why they bought Edios to make worse games than they do so they look better next to them because edios has sucked since it;s inception)

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never get tired of your headlines, Navarro. Never.

lokilaufey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By lokilaufey
    @Elyhaym: Oh yeah, because ONE game totally means they fail at singleplayer experiences. 

Really, though. No, I never got around to playing that. I have played most (though not all) games aimed at the Japanese market they've localised for a very long time though. All of them were single-player Japanese RPGs for the most part, and as long as they keep making those (and I enjoy them) I'm happy.

@Kyle
    : XIV isn't the only experimentation they've done in the past decade. It's just the one they fucked up the most on, haha. As long as they thing there is a chance they can recapture the success they had with XI they'll probably keep taking a whack at the MMO market.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75  Edited By Evilsbane

Rofl, Square your so Fucking Retarded. Beat your main franchise into a pulp till even your fans start to drop out, and make lots of shitty MMO's, BRILLIANT!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#76  Edited By gla55jAw

WHYYYYYYY? They don't seem to get it.

Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Vaile

Square Enix, you so crazy.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Simplexity

Well, best of luck I guess.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

FFXI was excellent. XIV was garbage, but anyone who says XI was crap just doesn't like that style of MMO. XI was brilliant in its time.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Xeiphyer

Well, I have to think they learned some kind of lesson with FFXIV, and therefore they won't release whatever this MMO is until its actually ready to be released. All the ideas and concepts of FFXIV were great, so I imagine if they can actually spend some time on this new game before it comes out, it probably will be great.

I'll not get my hopes up, but I very much doubt it could be any worse than FFXIV.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By geirr

I'm sure they want to refine the FF14 engine and try to make a better MMO out of it 
    and not just let the years of development go to waste. 
    I mean the catgirls were cute, right? Yeah, maybe a new game with.. cat girls and CAT MEN! 
    Meee-ow!

DestroJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DestroJr

Played quite a bit of FFXI back in the day, got to the point where you needed a band of 24+ dedicated people to do anything and kinda gave up. Came back late after a bunch of adjustments were made and was fairly satisfied with the changes.

Have not touched FFXIV as it sounds like much of FFXI's original mistakes made their way back in and they are nit fixed yet. Will probably not give this new mmo much thought.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#83  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Little_Socrates said:
    XD This is gonna be what they announce at E3 instead of Kingdom Hearts III? I love you, Square. YOU SO SILLY!
    Kingdom Hearts III was already announced earlier this year.  Nomura confirmed it's the next game after Versus XIII is done.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84  Edited By Keeng
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    FFXI was excellent. XIV was garbage, but anyone who says XI was crap just doesn't like that style of MMO. XI was brilliant in its time.  
    FFXI is excellent. It's still my favorite MMORPG ever. I haven't played XIV yet, though.
    gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By gunharp
    @Mcfart said: 

About 11 months ago they said they were intending on fixing FF14 cause they knew how bad it was. Guess some guy was just like "fuck it, lets put this behind us and try again".

They are still updating the game a lot. I login every now and then to update and maybe gain a level or two. It also still doesn't require a subscription fee. The producer keeps the community updated every month with a letter on what their timetable is for patches and what is included in those patches. Those dudes are hard at work, to bad everyone reading this news piece doesn't know all that. I appreciate how transparent the dev team has been, it's really interesting.

@Sammann31415 said:

I think this isn't what we think it is.    Just because Sqenix is releasing a game doesn't mean it's their FF studio by any means - it could be from a small studio.  It could also be a low-budget, sprite-based thing along the lines of Dungeon Fighter - you know, something that could be run on any machine, browser-based, cheap to play, integrated with Facebook or iOS or both.   Maybe a Kingdom Hearts-based MMO brawler. With the exception of Guild Wars 2, that's pretty much the only kind of MMO I'd be interested in at the moment, and I don't think the more MMO-focused gamers would trust Square with another big-budget thing.

Exactly, the dofu/wakfu stuff is exactly what I was thinking. Everyone thinks Square just does huge budget stuff. For all we know it could be for iOS because they love their mobile platforms! Maybe they are teaming up with Pop Cap again *shrug* -- but yeah given the track record I don't mind the cynicism for the mmo news.

But why is it that every time Square Enix gets brought up you commentators beat your chest and echo the same shit I have been hearing about PC gaming for over five years plus. Ship maybe taking on water at the moment (earthquake, FFXIV, MindJack, Gun Loco) but she hasn't sunk yet. I've yet to read anything completely compelling that this company is going to be dead soon. Divisive opinion over FF titles doesn't really do it for me. Few years from now probably have a better picture on that.
    ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ThePilgrums
    @Little_Socrates said:
    XD This is gonna be what they announce at E3 instead of Kingdom Hearts III?
    Fucking seriously. I don't think THEY know what they're doing anymore. 

...Unless it's Crystal Chronicles for the Nintendo "Cafe". Then I might be excited.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MrKlorox

Remember waaay back when Squaresoft and Enix made awesome, unique games with depth that you just couldn't put down? Those companies are dead.

Philosoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#88  Edited By Philosoma

Dragon Quest MMO possibly?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Solh0und

You know it'll be FFXIV-2..... 

Because Squenix is cool like that!

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Enns

I'm betting it'll be casual. It has to be at this point.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ALavaPenguin

FFXI was pretty awesome and worthy of a sequel.  It wasn't for everyone but it was something truly unique and special.  FFXIV though... man that game was one of the worst I have ever played.  Honestly they need to make a more modern FFXI.  FFXIV was something completely different and total garbage.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#92  Edited By korolev

Well, maybe they've learned the lesson that FFXIV taught them. Maybe this one will be half-decent. Seems a bit of a kick in the pants to those who bought FFXIV, hoping that with repeated patches it would get better, but now have to accept the fact that XIV will wither and die and be replaced with something else. 

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pandashake

FFXIV had beautiful visuals, but had terrible game design. In the beta, not sure now, you could only do along the lines of three quests and two crafting quest. They were simple kill x monsters get a reward quest. The problem was there was a two real day waiting period before you can do quests again! Apparently, it's a balancing design so people who play less won't be left behind. The reality of their design decision was penalizing people wanted to play their game.

If this new mmo is another final fantasy mmo as a ditch and run effort from their last one, I hope they get it better this time and I can't wait to try it.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Demyx

you'd think an MMO from Square Enix would be awesome. And then FFXIV came out. 

so don't screw this up please.

emonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By emonk

I completely forgot there was even supposed to be a PS3 version of FF XIV. Wow.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By FreakAche

That image caption is amazing.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By kerse
    @MrKlorox said:
    Remember waaay back when Squaresoft and Enix made awesome, unique games with depth that you just couldn't put down? Those companies are dead.
    I remember that, it was before they merged.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By Faint

It's been apparent for some period of time now that my (formerly) favourite game company has absolutely no clue what they are doing.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#99  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @KaosAngel said:
    @Little_Socrates said:
    XD This is gonna be what they announce at E3 instead of Kingdom Hearts III? I love you, Square. YOU SO SILLY!
    Kingdom Hearts III was already announced earlier this year.  Nomura confirmed it's the next game after Versus XIII is done.
    I can't seem to find this. Can anyone give me a link confirming this statement?
    k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By k4el
    @Faint said:
    It's been apparent for some period of time now that my (formerly) favourite game company has absolutely no clue what they are doing.
    That can be said for many of the major Japanese game companies lately. They've seemingly lost touch with western audience sand are perplexed as to why.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.