Does anybody else want to see this franchise resurrected?

#1 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

Or sadly, is it just me?

#2 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Man, I have some great memories playing this with my cousins. One of the few games everyone in my family was good at.

Also, one of the few gamecube games I really enjoyed.

#3 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

The last and only game I played in this series was SSX Tricky so going on that game alone, I'd have no problem seeing this game resurrected. The question, though: is there any place for these type of games right now. Tony Hawk has had to reinvent itself several times already and I haven't heard much about Pure lately but on the other hand, Burnout is outlandish and a arcadey and doing just fine so a sense of polish has to be seen in this game. If it's the least bit half-assed, it'll get utterly ignored in this day and age.

#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (843 posts) -

It's not just you; I'd love to see it return as well. Those games were good until On Tour was released, that's when the series went downhill. Which is truly a shame, because it was a great series.

I'm really hoping it'll make a comeback sometime in the near future, and that the developers won't make the same mistakes they did with the last two games.

#5 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I was just thinking about SSX the other day. I was pretty burnt out after SSX3, but I freakin' loooooved Tricky. One of my top 10 PS2 games. I'd love to see those guys do another.

#6 Posted by agentboolen (1760 posts) -

It was cool but it would need something special added to it to make me interested. Stay the same formula and just upgrade graphics I wont buy.

#7 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Hell yea!

#8 Posted by amandackrueger (251 posts) -

Me...no...little sister, yes. Although she wouldn't upgrade to an XBOX 360 since she couldn't get "Toe jam and earl 3" to play on mine.

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@coonce said:
" Or sadly, is it just me? "
Dude- you already know my answer :D

In fact- i think somebody should take the source engine and the SDK from L4D and make a SSX mod for it in which every trick you do - a zombie is launched towards you - you get a split second to pull of a reaction shot in which your score is then multiplied

Halfway down the track a tank would spawn and start chasing the competitors down slope, at this point you can distract him team-knocking other competitiors over - therefore distracting the tank - the witch will run backwards and forwards along the finish line just to be an uber annoyance - and when you reach the bottom of your run - you have to make a break for the changing rooms, and then lock the doors just in time to turn and see all the other surviving participants and spectators torn apart.
IT COULD BE CALLED LEFT4SLED!!!

Or - a standard entry into the franchise would also be rad 
#10 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Coonce, you just jumped about five levels on my coolness meter.  SSX3 = godly game.

100% completion over here.  = D

Unfortunately, On Tour and Blur were travesties.  If they did bring the franchise back, it would have to be like SSX3 or nothing at all.
#11 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

It'd be cool, but I wouldn't be upset if it didn't happen. Is EA Big even still around?

#12 Posted by Lashe (1245 posts) -

SSX3 was one of my fave PS2 games. Although recent iterations have seemed somewhat lacking -- I did not enjoy the introduction of skis. An open world SSX3 title like SSX game would go down a treat.

#13 Posted by Big_D (169 posts) -

Tricky and 3 were amazing. My roommate and me played them for hours. Too bad it's already been confirmed to be dead.

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

I'm not an SSX fan myself but I think there are a lot of people who'd like to see a new SSX title.

#15 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

I would like to see it too. I thought it was just me also!

#16 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

Yeah Tricky and SSX3 were some of the funnest games ever. I'd definitely like to see the franchise resurrected if they followed the formula of those two games and made some nice next-gen upgrades that go beyond upgraded graphics.

#17 Posted by Lashe (1245 posts) -

I never realised SSX3 was BC on the 360.

I think I might invest the few quid it would be to play that game again.

#18 Posted by HawkSE (216 posts) -

Yeah I would definitely want SSX resurrected. 

I loved Amped 3 and it's great, but it's no SSX 
Shaun White is no SSX 
Stoked is no SSX 

I'm all for it, I want SSX5!

#19 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Tricky was a blast, but I think the series ran its course.

#20 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I'd love a new SSX game, they were awesome :).

#21 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I have some fond SSX memories but I can live without it.

#22 Edited by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@skrutop said:

" Tricky was a blast, but I think the series ran its course. "

Dude...seriously? Edit: 666 POST...3:)
#23 Posted by AaronAlex (182 posts) -

SSX tricky was so much fun, i have fond memories of that game! 
I think if SSX were to come back, it would need to go so over the top. 
Insane cliff jumps, just gravity defying tricks. Come on EA what are you doing

#24 Posted by HawkSE (216 posts) -

I actually had my question read about if EA was bringing back the SSX series on the 09-29-09 Bombcast. Listen for Scott from California

#25 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I loved SSX and SSX Tricky.

After that, the series just got either too convoluted or stale for me to care.  However, enough time has passed that, if they wanna bring this series back with some new mechanics, I'd be super down to play a new one.  It always just had such an over-the-top and just different take on the sport of snowboarding that it deserves to exist in some form.

#26 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

There needs to be a new SSX game, seriously.
#27 Posted by skunk (240 posts) -

I friggin' loved SSX3 and would like to see a new one. Everything about 3 was awesome, especially the music. That shit just gets you pumped lol.

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

To be honest, I've never played an SSX game before but, I've always wanted to try one.

#29 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Yeah, why not? I think snowsport games are pretty fun and SSX solidified my likeness for it.

#30 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

I have fond memories of the PSP game so yeah.

#31 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Can't say it'd really be a "resurrection". I mean, it can't have been more than two years ago that the last entry came out. SSX doesn't have to be like Madden and come out every year. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard from a sequel yet, but I have little doubt it is on the way. That said, I'd rather have a new 1080

#32 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
"

I loved SSX and SSX Tricky.

After that, the series just got either too convoluted or stale for me to care.  However, enough time has passed that, if they wanna bring this series back with some new mechanics, I'd be super down to play a new one.  It always just had such an over-the-top and just different take on the sport of snowboarding that it deserves to exist in some form.

"
This to the letter.
#33 Posted by MrPiZzA (95 posts) -

The fans have spoken.  Now EA has to deliver

#34 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

SSX Tricky was the first game I got for the original Xbox and I loved it. SSX3, not so much. The whole open mountan thing just seemed like less of a game than the totally different look of the stages in the previous game. They also took out all of the charecters with famous voices like David Arquette, Billy Zane, Marcy Grey and Lucy Liu. So as long as they make it more like Tricky then yea, I'd totally buy it.

#35 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

I've only played/own Tricky, which was pretty good, but I'm still not sure. Wasn't really interested enough to look at the later titles.

#36 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

FUCK YES!

I've been going on random rants about SSX3.

I currently want to play SSX3, but sadly it's the only game my PS3 won't run out of all my PS2 games.

#37 Posted by thedrinkinggeek (29 posts) -

Definitely! I am tired of the Shawn White games......I enjoy the level of ridiculousness that came with the SSX games!!!

#38 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I want a new SSX harder than Coonce does : (

#39 Posted by Stackboy (489 posts) -

There were rumblings that Criterion were working on a new SSX, pre E3. But that turned out to be NFS Hot Pursuit (don't get me wrong, I am very excited about). 

I would kill for a new SSX. More in the vein of SSX3. Still play that on gamecube today.

#40 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@coonce said:
" Or sadly, is it just me? "
Definitely! I loved SSX, even the later ones. They were a lot of fun. Would love to see some more SSX action. Would be a good thing and I think its been long enough now! 

Is EA even doing EA Big anymore? That could be part of the problem as to why we haven't seen anymore yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.