10 million WTF HOW?

#1 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

I've played almost all the SSX games and I love them, but the high scores in this one are just too much! How is it even possible to get some of these? I'm tricking non-stop, keeping insane combos, doing ubers like a madman but I can barely get silver most of the time. Am I missing something?

#2 Posted by Mesoian (1573 posts) -

The trick is to link every trick you can without ever letting the rising score bank, and getting the trick multipler to 20x as quickly as possible. You can also use things like the wingsuit or Half pipe Areas to keep high rotational tricks going.

That being said, I am no good at trick events at all...

#3 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

I watched that video of the 40 million run on Youtube, switched to the face buttons, and it just clicked for me.

#4 Posted by MrKlorox (11207 posts) -

I was about to shit myself. There was no way this game would sell 10 million copies.

But it's about points....

#5 Posted by RuthLoose (780 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

I was about to shit myself. There was no way this game would sell 10 million copies. But it's about points....

If only they kept the Call of Duty Deadly Descent theme in there. 12 million first week for sure.

#6 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

Like Will said, try watching a good run on Youtube and it will 'click'. I was doing an average of around 10 million points but after watching a 3 minute 20 million video, the first run I did afterwards on the Global Event Serenity, I banked 40 million. It's such an amazing feeling when it 'clicks' in and you're carving like you're on butter.

#7 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3568 posts) -

@depecheload said:

I've played almost all the SSX games and I love them, but the high scores in this one are just too much! How is it even possible to get some of these? I'm tricking non-stop, keeping insane combos, doing ubers like a madman but I can barely get silver most of the time. Am I missing something?

I'm not that great at racing, but I'm fairly good in trick events. Try this, and tell me if it helps:

Use the new control style. The less you have to touch the awful xbox d-pad the better.

JUMPING: As you approach a jump, you should hold down the A button, and you should hold your left stick in any direction (up, down, left, right, or a diagonal) This is called pre-winding. As you reach the end of the ramp, you should let go of the A button (which will cause you to jump), and keep holding the left stick in your chosen direction. When you make your jump, you'll find that you will spin or flip much faster than you normally would.

TRICKING: While you're in the air, let go of the buttons, and move your hand to the right stick. Pull it in one or two directions, and then hold the stick in any direction. Think about the skydiving tutorial for help. As long as you're spinning or flipping, and holding a direction on the right stick, you're going to be scoring points.

LANDING: To land safely, simply let go of the control sticks, and you'll automatically adjust yourself for a safe landing. After you land, you should hold the X button to board slide, and the right trigger to boost. As you board slide, you will continue your combo. Once you reach tricky or super tricky mode, you will have unlimited boost, and you will keep that ability for as long as you can keep your combo alive.

TRICK EVENTS: Long combos are the key to a gold medal, but there is a risk / reward element to keep in mind. The longer your combo is, the more points you'll get from finishing it, but if you bail then it will have all been for nothing. When trying to get a silver or gold medal, at least while you're learning the game, you should probably end your combos now and then if you're afraid of losing the points that you've earned so far. When you can get gold every time, you can move on to trying to combo the entire event.

#9 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

@RuthLoose said:

@MrKlorox said:

I was about to shit myself. There was no way this game would sell 10 million copies. But it's about points....

If only they kept the Call of Duty Deadly Descent theme in there. 12 million first day for sure.

Fixed.

#10 Posted by yoshisaur (2661 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

That's what I thought coming in here, lol.

#11 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

You have to combo a good chunk of the track to get 10,000,000. Combo the whole track and you get ridiculous scores. I have trouble with that second part.

I'm glad I put like 10 hours into the demo though, I came into the game with a good advantage.

#12 Posted by CapnThrash (144 posts) -

Remember time doesn't matter during trick events.

#13 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

Sigh.

I keep trying, I chain together massive combos that last more than half the run, I do super and ubers non-stop, I mix it all up so I never get or rarely get a duplicate trick penalty, I don't use rewind, I never wipeout. All that and the best I can do is silver!

I just don't get it at all! I even watched videos online, from what I can tell I'm doing the exact same thing they are and I'm still not getting high scores.

It's soooo frustrating! I feel like I'm missing some basic game mechanic, but the game doesn't explain anything after the basics. If you're going to require INSANE scores to win, then you really should explain how to get those scores!

I'm mixing up tricks, I'm tweaking tricks, I'm not wiping out. That should = gold. Even with the "classic" controls this game doesn't play like vintage SSX. You really can't pre-wind anymore. Pre-winding in the old game meant you were locking yourself into place while turning your upperbody. Unless I'm mistaken you can't do that now. Can you? Is that what I'm missing? because that's a basic core element of the old games. Without it, it really doesn't feel like SSX to me.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21644 posts) -

10 million is a bad run for me.

#15 Edited by Barrabas (325 posts) -

You can definitely prewind. In fact it's essential. If you're not doing that it's at least part of the reason you're having a hard time.

#16 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

@jakob187: Well then wtf am I doing wrong?

#17 Posted by csl316 (8144 posts) -

@depecheload said:

Mix up your tricks, link them with ground tricks, don't speed through trick events, don't hit stuff, prewind properly so you can get a good spin, tweak the trick, do your signature move when you can. Next to your score, it'll light up 3 times before your combo gets busted. Avoid that by ground tricks or jumping or something.

I've been playing since the beginning, so I prefer the classic controls by a mile. But I fear change, so maybe standard might work better for you.

#18 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@depecheload said:

Mix up your tricks, link them with ground tricks, don't speed through trick events, don't hit stuff, prewind properly so you can get a good spin, tweak the trick, do your signature move when you can. Next to your score, it'll light up 3 times before your combo gets busted. Avoid that by ground tricks or jumping or something.

I've been playing since the beginning, so I prefer the classic controls by a mile. But I fear change, so maybe standard might work better for you.

Did all that. Can't figure out what I'm doing differently than all the videos I'm watching. Getting to the point where I really don't care. Made it to my first wingsuit stage. Ugh. What a mess. Who thought of that? Jump. Open wing suit. MAGICALLY TURN THE WRONG WAY. Die. No way to make up lost time. Give up. Repeat.

Hey, there are obviously people here who love this game and think it's great. Awesome. I hope you all have fun. I am not one of you. I miss my old-style SSX games with the real old style controls. I give up.

#19 Posted by csl316 (8144 posts) -

@depecheload said:

@csl316 said:

@depecheload said:

Did all that. Can't figure out what I'm doing differently than all the videos I'm watching. Getting to the point where I really don't care. Made it to my first wingsuit stage. Ugh. What a mess. Who thought of that? Jump. Open wing suit. MAGICALLY TURN THE WRONG WAY. Die. No way to make up lost time. Give up. Repeat.

Hey, there are obviously people here who love this game and think it's great. Awesome. I hope you all have fun. I am not one of you. I miss my old-style SSX games with the real old style controls. I give up.

You know, a negative mindset isn't the way to get over a hurdle.

I'm confused about "real" old style controls. I started playing this and sort of picked up right where SSX 3 left off. Is there a drastic difference I'm unaware of?

#20 Edited by CapnThrash (144 posts) -

game's been out a day, dudermobile.

give it some time.

#21 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

I'm trying real hard to stay positive, but the game is not helping me. I'm not saying it's horrible, it just might not be for me.

And the controls aren't the same. Before you could "lock" into a prewind. Unless I'm mistaken now, you can't charge up a spin while going straight can you? That was the point before. You'd hold down the jump button, press the d-pad in the direction you wanted to spin, and then release the button while holding the direction. Now when you do that you keep moving in that direction when you're on the snow, so you have to prewind at the very last second. Makes the game way too frantic for me.

And I don't come to SSX for tools, armor and flying suits. I want wacky tracks inside melting glaciers, or a massive indoor trick park inside a Tokyo megadome.

#22 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I asked myself the same question everytime I look at the leaderboards for Lips, it's a damn mystery.

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

OMG! LOL!

#24 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@depecheload said:

I'm trying real hard to stay positive, but the game is not helping me. I'm not saying it's horrible, it just might not be for me.

And the controls aren't the same. Before you could "lock" into a prewind. Unless I'm mistaken now, you can't charge up a spin while going straight can you? That was the point before. You'd hold down the jump button, press the d-pad in the direction you wanted to spin, and then release the button while holding the direction. Now when you do that you keep moving in that direction when you're on the snow, so you have to prewind at the very last second. Makes the game way too frantic for me.

And I don't come to SSX for tools, armor and flying suits. I want wacky tracks inside melting glaciers, or a massive indoor trick park inside a Tokyo megadome.

Sadly, I think it has a little do to with classic controls since doing a nose press with the analog stick isn't that ideal and it's somewhat crucial to keep a combo going. Using the face buttons seems to be the most efficient way right now. You can prewind forward (front flips are worth more than spins anyway) without moving. I recommend watching a Youtube video of someone scoring a lot of points, it'll help out.

#25 Posted by DukesT3 (1893 posts) -

I switched to the classic controls and I felt right at home. Just got my first 15mil score on one of the global events for gold, now that dude with 70mil? Shiiiiiiiit but just keep trying and when I go down the hill I usually throw in a 360 or a rodeo to keep my combo up, hit up some rails while doing flips and spins for good measure and try to land back on them.

#26 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@depecheload: Not that it's any consolation, but I quit too. I realized that I simply cannot play this game. I even had somebody watching me play in the room, who is reasonable at it, and he couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing wrong either.

I played the demo for several hours, and I've played at least 15-16 hours of the full game so far, and I rarely even manage to complete a course, let alone get higher than bronze in anything. I have managed to destroy my thumbs though, as I tried harder and harder to get controls that feel completely unresponsive to me to do anything at all. I need a few days off before I'm even going to be able to hold a controller without it hurting.

Alas, I wanted so hard to love this game, but after damn near 25 hours of playing and not getting any better in that time, I think I have to cut my losses, and admit that I just can't do it. There aren't enough hours in a day for me to get good enough at this thing to have any real fun at it.

#27 Posted by CrazyBagMan (836 posts) -

The timing for prewinding is definitely different than it used to be in that you don't need to do it for nearly as long to get the full effect. I see this as a positive thing since I don't have to be lined up for my jump 100 feet in advance.

#28 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3568 posts) -

@depecheload said:

If you are doing a board press while you prepare to jump, prewinding should barely move you left or right. Basically, I rarely approach a ramp without the X and A button held, along with the trigger for boost. And as said, if it's still an issue, prewind forward for flips instead of left or right for spins.

#29 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Use the face buttons, it's way easier

#30 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

So the key to scoring big is only dropping your combo when you have x20 multiplier. This is how the scoring works: when you do a trick the trick score x multiplier is added to your score and also the trick score without multiplier is added to your combo pool, when you drop the combo the multiplier is applied to your pool total and that's also added to your score. If you do have x20 you can drop your combo and it's not a big deal. You will loose tricky (you have 10 seconds of guaranteed tricky and super tricky and after that it keeps going as long as your combo) but generally you will get it back in few jumps. It's not ideal since doing super übers during a big air will give you 10 times the point that basic tricks do, but you can still score ok.

If the drop is long and you have trouble keeping your combo the whole time just make sure you have x20 multiplier and let it drop. The best way to get your multiplier up fast is doing multiple tricks on a rail. Just watch your multiplier and when it goes up change the trick. Many drops have long rails at the beginning that work great for this. The multiplier also goes up by one basically with every decent trick. Few flips don't necessarily cut it.

Always tweak grabs. Tweaked grabs are always worth more points and there is no reason to not do it every time and as fast as you can. Always hold one grab. One 5 second grab is worth more than ten 1 second grabs. Focus on big jumps. Doing few flips and a grab doesn't give you much, but the points go up exponentially the more flips you do and the longer you hold the grab. Only do flips. Back or front doesn't matter, but flips are always worth more points than spins or flip/spins. It's also much more easier to prewind flips since you can do it earlier.

Try to find an optimal line where you can jump from ramp to ramp. If you are a bit away from your next jump you can easily do a flip or a double flip without a ramp. You can also do ground trick to keep your combo going but this will heavily limit your ability to steer. Duplicate tricks are death. You barely get any points for them and also they make your combo countdown go down almost immediately. If you do make a duplicate trick try to do another grab fast or if you don't have time do a ground trick immediately after to keep your combo going (unless you have x20 multiplier).

I hope this helps someone. I really don't know what the problem can be. Never drop a combo without x20 multipier. If you can do that you should do pretty well already. Then just try to get your multiplier up as fast as possible and you do even better.

Edit: also it's worth mentioning that if you bail your combo is gone. If you rewind you will only loose more point, you don't get your combo back. If you have a habit to bail, it might be good to cash your combo when you reach x20 multiplier.

#31 Posted by Xeiphyer (5597 posts) -

Theres no time limit for trick events, so zig zag down the mountain. Try and go off jumps at an angle instead of straight on, so you don't go down the track as fast.

Remember though, you lose your trick combo very fast if you're not going down the hill, so keep moving.

#32 Posted by Bloodfarts (63 posts) -

Although I'm no SSX savant, this game feels like I remember the old games. To me at least.

#33 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

So the key to scoring big is only dropping your combo when you have x20 multiplier. This is how the scoring works: when you do a trick the trick score x multiplier is added to your score and also the trick score without multiplier is added to your combo pool, when you drop the combo the multiplier is applied to your pool total and that's also added to your score. If you do have x20 you can drop your combo and it's not a big deal. You will loose tricky (you have 10 seconds of guaranteed tricky and super tricky and after that it keeps going as long as your combo) but generally you will get it back in few jumps. It's not ideal since doing super übers during a big air will give you 10 times the point that basic tricks do, but you can still score ok.

If the drop is long and you have trouble keeping your combo the whole time just make sure you have x20 multiplier and let it drop. The best way to get your multiplier up fast is doing multiple tricks on a rail. Just watch your multiplier and when it goes up change the trick. Many drops have long rails at the beginning that work great for this. The multiplier also goes up by one basically with every decent trick. Few flips don't necessarily cut it.

Always tweak grabs. Tweaked grabs are always worth more points and there is no reason to not do it every time and as fast as you can. Always hold one grab. One 5 second grab is worth more than ten 1 second grabs. Focus on big jumps. Doing few flips and a grab doesn't give you much, but the points go up exponentially the more flips you do and the longer you hold the grab. Only do flips. Back or front doesn't matter, but flips are always worth more points than spins or flip/spins. It's also much more easier to prewind flips since you can do it earlier.

Try to find an optimal line where you can jump from ramp to ramp. If you are a bit away from your next jump you can easily do a flip or a double flip without a ramp. You can also do ground trick to keep your combo going but this will heavily limit your ability to steer. Duplicate tricks are death. You barely get any points for them and also they make your combo countdown go down almost immediately. If you do make a duplicate trick try to do another grab fast or if you don't have time do a ground trick immediately after to keep your combo going (unless you have x20 multiplier).

I hope this helps someone. I really don't know what the problem can be. Never drop a combo without x20 multipier. If you can do that you should do pretty well already. Then just try to get your multiplier up as fast as possible and you do even better.

Edit: also it's worth mentioning that if you bail your combo is gone. If you rewind you will only loose more point, you don't get your combo back. If you have a habit to bail, it might be good to cash your combo when you reach x20 multiplier.

Thanks for this. I've been having a problem in that I can get up to a certain amount of millions of points but all my GB friends have between 2X and 3X more than more. For example, I forget which global event, but I'm stuck getting around 20 Million with my highest 25 million, but everyone else is around 35 and the highest is 50. I'll try all this out and see if I do better though.

#34 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

I had the same problem, now starting to post regular silver/gold.

biggest thing is to keep your combo chain (lower left) going as long as you possibly can and then cash that in when your combo multiplier is at 20x for maximum return. If you keep your combo chain going it seems to make it easier to accrue points more rapidly. Also, use nose or tail grind (manual in tony hawk pro skater) to link rails and kickers where the big points come from.

for me, i had to remember to...

never do the same grab 2 times in a row

you don't have to tweak every grab. (seems to trigger a duplicate trick penalty when doing signature tricks)

prewind in favor of rotation rather than flips

change up your trick on rail grinds every few seconds to get a combo built up faster.

Good Luck.

#35 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I've found that banking combos at the right time is better than hoping for a massive combo from start to finish. If I can bank two 500,000 combos with 20x multiplier that's 20 million points not even counting the huge score from uber tricks alone. I strong uber flip for me can come in at over 1,000,000 on it's own.

Edit: Sheesh I feel sorry for some of you guys, I'm getting depressed cause I'm only in Platinum with 43 million!

#36 Posted by Chaser324 (6331 posts) -

@RiotBananas said:

I've found that banking combos at the right time is better than hoping for a massive combo from start to finish. If I can bank two 500,000 combos with 20x multiplier that's 20 million points not even counting the huge score from uber tricks alone. I strong uber flip for me can come in at over 1,000,000 on it's own.

So true. The bonus you get for even a 70 or 80 combo chain is only a few hundred thousand points. The key is really just making sure you bank the combo while you have a 20x multiplier.

#37 Edited by iseemonsters (10 posts) -

I've been a big SSX fan ever since I bought the original for my shiny new PS2 back in the day - and I definitely think this one has captured the feel an SSX game for me. I wonder if maybe part of the problem is your expectations of yourself? I'll readily admit to sucking at games generally, despite the amount of time I spend playing them - so right now I'm satisfied with at least placing and grabbing some credits from Global Events. I'm definitely not expecting to be in the Diamond and Platinum brackets. I also think the heavy online multiplayer focus in this version, while perhaps one of its key strengths (in that it's managed to get someone who rarely plays online like me to be really excited about it), also tends to give you a bit of an inferiority complex if you're not careful. Finally, I also remember how much I thought I sucked at SSX On Tour back when that came out - it took me a long time to get into the rhythm of building up combos, multipliers etc. - but eventually I "beat" the game - so I'm hoping that just like in that version, with some practice it'll all start to come together.

Also - the cashing in when you get to 20x and the changing tricks rapidly on rails advice was awesome! Thanks!

#38 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

@depecheload said:

Sigh.

I keep trying, I chain together massive combos that last more than half the run,

There's your problem....massive score come from 100 trick combos that last a whole run with massive extended tricks. At least that's what it took me to get 22,000,000 on one run,but still the Diamond score was 81,000,000....I have no clue how you do that.

#39 Edited by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

@depecheload said:

Sigh.

I keep trying, I chain together massive combos that last more than half the run,

There's your problem....massive score come from 100 trick combos that last a whole run with massive extended tricks. At least that's what it took me to get 22,000,000 on one run,but still the Diamond score was 81,000,000....I have no clue how you do that.

That's still my problem too. I do a massive whole run combo and can't get past the 20-25 Million bracket. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Are the people getting 50+ Million on a really high level character with crazy board trick stats? Is that my problem? My highest character at this point is like level 6.

#40 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

#41 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

@Vinny_Says:

I do all that. Still can't get the big scores. Well, I gave up and am much happier now. There are actual good games out there I can play instead.

#42 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

You should go to youtube and check out some 50 million runs and you realize pretty quickly why you are only getting 20 million.

Here is an example from the demo drop Bulldog:

So what happens here is that he gets his Super Tricky and multiplier up before he even start the run and that pretty much does it. Also you might see the density of tricks. He's barely on the ground. Also he's not in a hurry, he doesn't boost to the next jump but goes almost vertically (but not so much that he looses his multiplier) and jumps from all possible slopes. When he gets to the dam he has over 12 million points... When I run my "good" 25 million runs I have maybe 5. That's what getting your multiplier and Super Tricky up at the beginning does. It's also worth noting that in the demo you have level 4 equipment, which is terrible. With a legendary level 10 trick board this same run would be worth even more points.

I can't do this - probably never will, but its stupid to say you don't know how it's done.

Here is another example for good measure 92 million on Serenity:

My best is somewhere around 35 million, why? Because I do about third of the tricks. Pretty simple.

#43 Edited by samcotts (2258 posts) -

It's probably already been mentioned multiple times (reading's hard), but holding one trick > trying to do as many as possible.

That's probably not the key to turn you into a pro though. 10 million isn't really a crazy score at all. 40 million+ is.

#44 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

So I just realized that you can spin with the standard controls about 3 times faster... I did a terrible run with standard controls (it's hard to change your mindset) and I still did better than my good classic control run. I guess I have to spend this day to learn the new controls.

#45 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

Everyone was thinking copies sold?

Anyway, I'm pretty good, and rarely do that crappily. I figured out it's all about releasing the right stick as late as possible and then steering your rider into the snow with the left. Lets you get every point you can.

#46 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

All my scores are going up 20-50% already with the standard controls... DO NOT USE THE CLASSIC CONTROLS! At least not until they fix what I assume is a bug.

#47 Posted by Grillbar (1798 posts) -

@depecheload said:

HAH you should see someone on my friends list. (might allso be a giantbomb member he scored about 42mil where i got 12 so yearh

#48 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

Never lose the hype.

#49 Posted by Junpei (726 posts) -

@depecheload: as far as magically turning the wrong way when you open the wing suit it will take you in the direction you are facing. Meaning, if you pull it out midspin it can be a crapshoot where you end up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.