Just a fair warning reguarding custom soundtracks and the 360.

#1 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

If you're planning on using your own music in the retail game and want it remixed, you're going to need playlists. Because of the archaic way the Xbox 360 handles music you can only make playlists out of music stored on the hard drive. Of course, the only way to get music onto your 360 hard drive is to rip them from CDs. So you're going to want to pick up some blank CDs if you plan on using digital copies of your music.

Edit: You can actually make a playlist using Windows Media Player and share it over the network. Doesn't work with Foobar sharing so I assume it's WMP specific.

#2 Posted by rmanthorp (3946 posts) -

What?! Is this confirmed? Source? Dude said before you could use a flashpen if I recall.

#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6536 posts) -

Does your custom soundtrack get "remixed" while you're playing like the on-disc music? If so, I could maybe understand this restriction.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by Village_Guy (2576 posts) -

In the past I have stored music on my 360 hard drive via a USB port - so I'm not exactly following why that shouldn't work now?

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

Does your custom soundtrack get "remixed" while you're playing like the on-disc music? If so, I could maybe understand this restriction.

That is what I've heard.

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (6536 posts) -

@rmanthorp: I don't think how you get the music on your hard drive matters. Of course, I also don't see why you shouldn't be able to just use them straight of the USB drive. It seems to me that the only restriction would just be against media streamed over a network.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Village_Guy: Really? I'm pretty sure you can only play the music off the flash drive, not transfer it to the HDD.

@rmanthorp:

#8 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

This seems very counter-intuitive. Why not make it easy for people, MS?

#9 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Is this for some special effect? Because if not just play it through the guide off a pc or usb stick.

#10 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -
Really? I'm pretty sure you can only play the music off the flash drive, not transfer it to the HDD.

Totally true, ran into that problem years ago and only remembered recently when I wanted to play some of my own music while playing SR3.

You can stream from a flash drive, rip CD's or ideally stream through a home network.

#11 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Hockeymask27: Yeah, it's just for the remix effect. You can still stream music.

#12 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Hockeymask27: Yeah, it's just for the remix effect. You can still stream music.

In that case your right for the most part. I've dealt with this in most of my sports/wwe games. There is a slight work around it involves creating the playlist on your pc and then the xbox thinks the playlist exists as long as the pc is on. Its still a pain the ass for games like nhl that for each team i had to make a seprate playlist for each team goal song ect...

#13 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I'll just use the boom box that sits behind me on my dresser.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Whatever. Listening to a remix of Catherine's Soundtrack will be pretty amazing.

#15 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@Azteck said:

This seems very counter-intuitive. Why not make it easy for people, MS?

Ahah, ahahahahhahaha

#16 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Hockeymask27: Wow, making a playlist on Windows Media Player and sharing it that way totally works. Thanks duder! Too bad it doesn't work with Foobar sharing though.

#17 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Hockeymask27: Wow, making a playlist on Windows Media Player and sharing it that way totally works. Thanks duder! Too bad it doesn't work with Foobar sharing though.

Glad I could help.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

I'm willing to jump through a hoop or two for a feature like that.

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Just be glad it's not as bad as custom music in the WWE games. You have to make a playlist for each song in that.

#20 Posted by bwheeeler (449 posts) -

So...what does remixing do to the music?

#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@bwheeeler said:

So...what does remixing do to the music?

It makes every track a top 10 hit and every player a member of Daft Punk.
#22 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I've never gotten WMP playlists to stream to my 360 (except using WMC obviously). Drives me nuts.

#23 Posted by ultrapeanut (385 posts) -

@Hockeymask27: Oh god, I remember doing that. Soooooo awkward.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Eh, I always play through my PC speakers anyway, so as long as I can must the in game music I'm good. Or better yet as long as I can pause a playing song in the dashboard, I won't even have to touch the settings.

#25 Edited by Mister_Snig (592 posts) -

I'm having some problems playing music off my laptop. I made a playlist in Windows Media Player with 89 songs, but my 360 only recognizes 81 of them. And out of those 81 files, my 360 is unable to play a handful of them. They're all MP3s, so I don't think it's a compatibility issue. Additionally, my laptop and my 360 are on a wired connection. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

#26 Posted by wizpig64 (31 posts) -

Is there playlist support in the demo? I can select music from my home server by using the guide button > media blade > select music just as i've always been able to, but it just plays overtop of the game's stuff.

#27 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@MisterSnig: Check if any of the songs have DRM or you could try this. Also, make sure the folders that contain your music are listed under the manage music library when you right click music in WMP. It doesn't seem to share the music correctly unless the folders are added.

#28 Posted by MachoFantastico (4684 posts) -

Seems worth going through a hoop or two to get that feature, it sucks still that Microsoft are so tight with all this though. Speaking of which I have still yet to create a custom soundtrack for the game yet, would have loved the ability to custom an overall soundtrack where I can add and remove from the official OST instead of being forced to create an entirely different soundtrack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.