Most Annoyingly Difficult Drop?

#1 Edited by Skillface (566 posts) -

I think Hush in Africa is pretty ridiculous. A dark tightrope walk through a small cavern, with lava drops nearly everywhere. You can grind the ridges, but some ridges literally lead you directly into the chasms. I've come close to throwing my controller a few times.

Am I crazy? Did anyone else have difficulty with this track? Which ones have frustrated you?

Edit: Btw, I've got plenty of room for SSX duders, so add me up if you want, GT: Skillface

#2 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Any ridge mired in darkness.

Africa is, by far, the most difficult course in the game.

#3 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Any drop in Africa. Goddamn that darkness is ridiculous.

#4 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3083 posts) -

The dark continent.

#5 Posted by clandestine (15 posts) -

Hush is the backcountry darkness drop right? (I should really know this, I always get that and Incoming mixed up). That's definitely the hardest from a pure frustration perspective (although no rewinds survival is pretty fun on it I think).

#6 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

The Africa drops are very annoying because of how you can't see anything most of the time.

#7 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Most of Africa. The darkness combined with all the dumb lava pits.

#8 Posted by MethodMan008 (824 posts) -

I'm having trouble in Africa and the Alps right now.. Can't even beat World Tour. :(

Oh well, explore and global events <3 <3 <3 <3

#9 Posted by aurahack (2286 posts) -

I was having a motherfucker of a time on the first O2 tank race in the Himalayas. Kept falling off because I couldn't concentrate on balancing my oxygen levels with tricks, being in first and boosting. :T

The drops in Africa are nutty, though. I got through it pretty quickly in World Tour, but god-damn if that Survival drop isn't scary.

#10 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Some of the runs on Patagonia are insane as well. Having such a thin track and falling off each side is brutal.

#11 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Ouch, not looking forward to Africa then

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Pulse googles. For everyone except this one you are not timed. This one you are going against Griff which was a pain

Also, there is one after you complete all the 9 deadly descents which was a real PAYNE!!

I dunno, I don't think anything except for the wing suit works.

#13 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: Eh, when attempting the achievement you get for finishing one of those survivals without a head lamp, you'll come to love those lava pits since they're your only light source (and a good indicator of incoming death.)

#14 Posted by JacDG (2128 posts) -

The oxygen one was just downright dumb, and every single drop that has large crevasses all over the place are somewhat annoying to me, rather have my courses clean and simple to be honest, only thing about this game that I don't like.

#15 Edited by Melvargh (508 posts) -

I'm on the Grudge Match Deadly Descent, and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I want to punch a hole through the TV.

#16 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3885 posts) -
@clandestine said:

Hush is the backcountry darkness drop right? (I should really know this, I always get that and Incoming mixed up). That's definitely the hardest from a pure frustration perspective (although no rewinds survival is pretty fun on it I think).

Hush and Incoming are both backcountry drops.  Red Light and Corkscrew are the main peak drops.  Personally, I found Incoming to be even worse than Hush, but perhaps I'll need to re-run them to decide. 

After playing every course, I'd have to say that The Monster in the Himalayas, Last Call in Patagonia, and both Sentinel and One Step Ahead in the Alps are all just ridiculous.  I seriously doubt I'll ever play them again, but it's nice to know that they're there for the handful of insane pro-level players that SSX games seem to attract.
#17 Posted by Xenos_19 (118 posts) -

Some of the final deadly decents are a pain, especially the last two - are just stupid, I've had to do them over 20 times just to complete a full run without completely getting facerolled.

Some of the pulse goggle stuff can be tricky , lots of drops, gotta time a lot of your jumps correctly.

Everything would be much easier if the rewind function worked like in many single player racing games, where all the opponents get rewinded as well, but I believe it is designed the way it is to work in global events, where anyone can rewind at any time (given it is allowed), and not rewind everyone in the match.

#18 Posted by Humanity (9871 posts) -
@Skillface I think I was trying to beat your 11mil on that one African drop that starts twith 3 big cave tunnels - I gave up at 9mil. The part that annoys me the most about that run are the low ceilings that make it impossible to trick 90% of the time. Not to mention the curved walls where I've a couple of times jumped a chasm at an angle, hit the side wall, grinded upwards in a loop and somehow BACKWARDS into the lava..
#19 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I've concluded that this game is already "very hard", and I haven't hit Africa yet. I found the Himalayas one to be very difficult, mainly because I use classic controls and trying to get oxygen meant doing a board press.

#20 Edited by Deathpooky (1440 posts) -

Oxygen was the one I found most annoying, mainly because it was hard given how I hold the controller to hit RB and RT, and oxygen seems to go down pretty quickly. The darkness and white out ones are also pretty bad at times, mainly for parts of the course that are a little misleading or hide drop-offs. Made it very memorization heavy to avoid hidden pits or disguised cliffs.

Probably had to spend at least 10-20 runs for each of the last three big races to get through the World Tour. And I almost broke a controller in the last race. Going down with Griff, almost done and in the lead, turn to make a jump and he comes out of nowhere and knocks me off the course. God damn that bastard.

#21 Posted by Syndrom (363 posts) -

i fucking hate that grudge match in the deadzone drop, that thing is fucking ridonkulous

#22 Posted by Xenos_19 (118 posts) -

@Deathpooky: You're absolutely right how it's all about memorization - I also have to do 20 runs just to get through the course.

I've still not beaten the final Griff race / deadly decent - I'm doing everything pretty much perfectly, but he seems to be going very fast, and when I'm in the lead coming out of freaking nowhere.

#23 Posted by Deathpooky (1440 posts) -

@Xenos_19: When I finally beat him I felt a little lucky. I think the computer can fall and use rewinds at times same as you and I think that's how I got ahead. He runs the course pretty fast regardless.

Getting through the dark zone and avoiding some of the hidden drops was all memorization though.

#24 Edited by Melvargh (508 posts) -

Finally beat the Grudge Match. I do a two button+tweak and spin at least 3 times out of the chopper to land in tricky. Then stick to the right to get around the section before the darkness drop. You have to get super tricky as you drop into the darkness so you can just speed through a line you've memorized, and then use the wingsuit to skip over a bunch of the ledge section right after. It's pretty simple from there, as long as you're already ahead of Griff.

#25 Posted by MildlyPsycho (77 posts) -

The god damn grudge match it a super hard drop! I wanna toss this controller!

#26 Posted by Blackout62 (1389 posts) -

Guys let me tell you how to beat Africa:

Pulse Goggles.

I'll take my Nobel Peace Prize now.

Also I say the Grudge Match should be stricken from the game?

#27 Posted by ZenGaijin (125 posts) -

Africa without a doubt is the most unenjoyable section of this game. Never would have thought I could beat an SSX event by not boosting for tricking and slowly moving forward. Absolutely horrible idea!

#28 Posted by Enai (213 posts) -

I thought the second to last deadly descent was the worst by far. So many drops into the void it felt unfair and the pulse goggles mechanic is a bit rubbish

#29 Posted by gike987 (1771 posts) -

Definitely Last Call. That track is insane, I managed to get through it but I had to rewind almost every jump.

#30 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

@Melvargh said:

I'm on the Grudge Match Deadly Descent, and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I want to punch a hole through the TV.

I genuinely cannot do this one. All I can say is that Griff improved his game between that last Deadly Descent (where he fell all over the place like a fool) and that grudge match.

#31 Posted by Mikey2D (219 posts) -

Try to get the 'Do you see what I see' achievement - its the deadly decent from Africa but with no torch allowed. Some how I managed to do it first time - but it was nerve racking as hell.

I think the worst has to be the pulse google deadly decent against Griff - so frustrating and holes EVERYWHERE!

#32 Posted by LoktarOgar (401 posts) -

I got the trophy for beating the Africa DD without pulse goggles/headlight on my first try. I know I got lucky as ****, but it still makes me feel so good.  When I was going against Mac, and the DD itself during world tour, it took me a whole bunch of tries.

Whiteout probably took me the most tries. The first part of the level is such a pain, even when compared to the second half of the same level. Grudge match took me a good long while too, but probably a little less long than Whiteout. Getting the Whiteout without pulse goggles trophy... god, it makes my hair stand on end (I haven't done it yet, but just the thought...).

#33 Edited by gike987 (1771 posts) -

@LoktarOgar: The track is not actually that much harder without pulse goggles, just follow the the flares.

#34 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

I actually didn't have much trouble in Africa, The Death Zone is whats really pissing me off right now, everytime I get the dark area Griff just smokes me because that area is super hard to navigate quickly, its very narrow and all ice, and you don't get any ice axes.

#35 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Africa yes, FUCK THAT DARKNESS SHIT

#36 Posted by Yossarian (56 posts) -

@MildlyPsycho said:

The god damn grudge match it a super hard drop! I wanna toss this controller!

I generally am not one to rage quit...

#37 Posted by Barrock (3552 posts) -

Fuck this grudge match in it's ear! I finally got to the end and I was a whole 10 seconds ahead of Griff.... and I go over the cliff. Do I have to jump at the helicopter?

#38 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@Deathpooky said:

Oxygen was the one I found most annoying, mainly because it was hard given how I hold the controller to hit RB and RT, and oxygen seems to go down pretty quickly. The darkness and white out ones are also pretty bad at times, mainly for parts of the course that are a little misleading or hide drop-offs. Made it very memorization heavy to avoid hidden pits or disguised cliffs.

Probably had to spend at least 10-20 runs for each of the last three big races to get through the World Tour. And I almost broke a controller in the last race. Going down with Griff, almost done and in the lead, turn to make a jump and he comes out of nowhere and knocks me off the course. God damn that bastard.

I agree. Oxygen is definitely the worst deadly descent. The other ones such as Antarctica, wingsuits, pulse goggles and darkness can usually be managed by going slowly and thinking through what you are doing.

I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy events where you are limited from using the gear you would normally use, like no solar panels in Antarctica. Prevents you from just holding down the RT button and makes the game much more about being in control of your rider.

#39 Posted by Stackboy (510 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Fuck this grudge match in it's ear! I finally got to the end and I was a whole 10 seconds ahead of Griff.... and I go over the cliff. Do I have to jump at the helicopter?

Yep.

I don't find any tracks annoying, some just take more time to learn than others.

#40 Posted by Fracture (157 posts) -

The last levels of the story potion of the game are not only the hardest for me but downright dumb. THe point of the deadly descents up till that point is just survival and then they go and turn them into a race against an AI opponent that never fails, and pile them back to back as if I needed any more reason tho hate this game. I have at this point failed to beat the final one and I just had to take the disc out of the xbox and put it away. I really hate what they have down with this franchise as every other SSX was just pure fun with a little challenge. This is a few fun levels with tons of massive headaches making up the majority of the game it seems.

#41 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

@Melvargh: I stayed up till 3 last night trying to beat this damn race. 3 hours of straight attempts at it, and nothing. The worst part was I beat it three times, but it was so close the game didn't register my victory and instead told me to try again. Three. Times. I really, really hate the end of that course where the game goes "WOOAAH, AVALANCHE TIME! Ain't it whacky!?!?!" and you get covered in rocks like gak on Slime Time Live. I eventually learned to just use the wingsuit to fly over most of it.

#42 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

I'm staying far, far away from Africa in explore mode simply because I hated the Deadly Descent stages so much. The whiteout condition race against Griff was also a bunch of shit, but at least I could see semi-well, and it all boiled down to execution and memorization. There are some stages in the Alps that are also incredibly difficult. Trying to make SSX a game about precision and perfect timing is just plain wrong.

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Most of the drops in Africa are very annoying.....and the final showdown with Griff is challenging as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.