Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

My Time on the Slopes With SSX

• 55 results
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MikeGosot
    @coonce said:

@MikeGosot said:

@coonce: Would you recommend to game for persons not interested in the online stuff? I mean, it's a bummer hearing the guy at the Quick Look saying "It's an extended tutorial mode".

Unfortunately, I did not get to play a ton of the single player campaign. From my understanding, it features some light fiction and does serve as a loose tutorial (in that it introduces you to some of the new gameplay mechanics and mountain challenges).

Personally, I'm not very big into typical online features either, but they are doing some very smart things in this space and these mechanics are so seamlessly integrated into the overall experience that you will likely gravitate to them more quickly than you anticipate.

If you really don't want to use any of the online features, there are around 10 characters (plus some unlockables (Eddie wasn't in the lineup, but has been in some trailers)) to level and more than enough content to keep you occupied for hours.

Meh, i think i will get it, but not at day 1. Thanks for the info.
    coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By coonce

@clandestine said:

@coonce said:

Its also quite neat to have someone from the SSX team here on our boards. I am incredibly fascinated by the development history of the SSX franchise and how the internal politics of a company as large as EA have shaped the tone and quality of each game in the series. More specifically, I'm curious as to why On-Tour was such a departure (stylistically, gameplay-wise, UI-wise and overall tone) from the rest of the games in the franchise.

I can't speak too much to the earlier games. Though we have folks on the team that have worked on almost all the iterations, I wasn't one of them. This was my first SSX.

From what I've heard, I think a lot of the stuff in On-Tour was because that specific team wanted to make something that really stood out from the other iterations. They wanted to make their mark, I guess. You can see somewhat of the same thing with our game, trying to make a game that's ours as much as it is a sequel, and the delicate balance of making that fit in with what the community rightly expects from an SSX game. If you're especially curious about On-Tour I'll ask a few questions to the series veterans on staff to see what they have to say.

Thanks for your candor. The development history of this franchise was always something I've been curious about. From some of the earlier videos your team was releasing it was apparent that members of the core team had come back for this game, which was a reassuring feeling.

Developing a sequel to such a beloved game is a gift and a curse. On one hand you must try to stay true to the roots of what made the original(s) so appealing while at the same time you have to offer a new set of unique mechanics to allow the game to stand on its own. Its a delicate balance but I get the feeling your team has pulled it off. Time will tell, but I'm really looking forward to picking up what you guys have put down.

Best of luck going gold -- see you on the slopes.

clandestine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By clandestine

@coonce said:

@clandestine said:

@coonce said:

Its also quite neat to have someone from the SSX team here on our boards. I am incredibly fascinated by the development history of the SSX franchise and how the internal politics of a company as large as EA have shaped the tone and quality of each game in the series. More specifically, I'm curious as to why On-Tour was such a departure (stylistically, gameplay-wise, UI-wise and overall tone) from the rest of the games in the franchise.

I can't speak too much to the earlier games. Though we have folks on the team that have worked on almost all the iterations, I wasn't one of them. This was my first SSX.

From what I've heard, I think a lot of the stuff in On-Tour was because that specific team wanted to make something that really stood out from the other iterations. They wanted to make their mark, I guess. You can see somewhat of the same thing with our game, trying to make a game that's ours as much as it is a sequel, and the delicate balance of making that fit in with what the community rightly expects from an SSX game. If you're especially curious about On-Tour I'll ask a few questions to the series veterans on staff to see what they have to say.

Thanks for your candor. The development history of this franchise was always something I've been curious about. From some of the earlier videos your team was releasing it was apparent that members of the core team had come back for this game, which was a reassuring feeling.

Developing a sequel to such a beloved game is a gift and a curse. On one hand you must try to stay true to the roots of what made the original(s) so appealing while at the same time you have to offer a new set of unique mechanics to allow the game to stand on its own. Its a delicate balance but I get the feeling your team has pulled it off. Time will tell, but I'm really looking forward to picking up what you guys have put down.

Best of luck going gold -- see you on the slopes.

Thanks for the well wishes. I think we're almost gold? Or maybe we are, it's a close race. Either way I'm excited to start playing against actual consumers soon, I need some new competition.

gondee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By gondee

@malnourish said:

Also, if anyone is interested, there is a very high-level discussion forum for SSX that has maintained activity for years and, if I recall right, a few members have worked with EA on SSX, it's here: http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/index.php

Hey, nice to see the plug. Thanks man.

So Coonce, I'm watching the Giant Bomb video for SSX, and I just want to give you props on asking intelligent questions - far and above other gaming websites vids if you ask me. You get SSX and you made the video 10 times better. If you're looking for a site to head to when you need a little help with the game, head on over to Merqurycity.com. I and a few of our other members flew up and playtested the game back in June and have been giving some feedback over the last few months. The game has turned out exactly as we hoped it would after seeing everything they planned 7 months ago.

More specifically, I'm curious as to why On-Tour was such a departure (stylistically, gameplay-wise, UI-wise and overall tone) from the rest of the games in the franchise.

I've heard from former SSX team members that a lot of the changes in On Tour were dictated by producers brought on from other game series, and as such were changes for the sake of changes, regardless of how negatively they impacted the franchise. On Tour was, honestly, a game made not for the love of it, but to just continue the series. The lack of love for it (the main producers and directors left the team after SSX 3) and other features of On Tour is pretty obvious when you look at it.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By stackboy

Great preview . Sounds like a few noticable changes for the series, but the QL makes it look great.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#56  Edited By Sooperspy

After watching the QL, I decided I need this game on day one. So what if ME3 comes out the week after.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.