New SSX Concept Art from EA

#1 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

Here are some (massive) images from the Deadly Descents website. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out exactly which direction EA is heading with this game. It doesn't feel at all like the previous games (lighter/goofier) in franchise. 

#2 Posted by thebatmobile (978 posts) -

I like the first image, at least.

#3 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

I think they should take the direction shown in the left-most image 

Or has a private pic from coonce's own collection snuck in?!

#4 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@thebatmobile said:
" I like the first image, at least. "
#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...gonna upload that first image to Reddit so I can get some karma.

#6 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

I hope it doesn't get all dual joystick realistic (Skate) or something weird like that. Then again that third picture in the dude is like 40 feet in the air flying over a chasm.

Slightly worried, but the first picture makes it alright for now.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

what the hell is on the right? are we going to be snowboarding during an alien invasion or something?

#8 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -
@coonce: Is that the lead designer in the first picture?
#9 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

This is getting more do-not-want by the second... Such a pity.

#10 Posted by Menseguez (181 posts) -

The first pic is interesting.

The actual concept art looks quite...extreme? I guess that's what they're going for.

#11 Posted by littlereaper (22 posts) -

I'm going to take a guess and say you didn't mean to add the first picture.

#12 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

I'm actually interested in this game after reading about the sheer number of slopes they generated with satellite technology and about the gadgets like ice picks and wing suits.

The girl in front doesn't know how to show off her booty. And is that a regular xbox?

@Aus_azn said:

" This is getting more do-not-want by the second... Such a pity. "

I recommend reading the article in the latest EGM. I was completely uninterested before reading it. I still say they should have kept the whimsical SSX name off of it.
#13 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Sure.

#14 Edited by Okari (166 posts) -

The concept of an action oriented snowboarding game is intriguing, and the concept art is giving me some hope for the game. It doesn't scream out 'SSX' to me. The look of the game actually reminds me a lot of Dark Summit.

#15 Posted by Dawglet (312 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" what the hell is on the right? are we going to be snowboarding during an alien invasion or something? "
That would make me 10 times more excited for this game if so.
#16 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I hope it doesn't get all dual joystick realistic (Skate) or something weird like that. 
I just read a pretty interesting article on EGM.  They talk about members from the previous teams being on this team and how they are NOT going to be making a snowboarding sim (like Skate -- which I do enjoy, its just not SSX) -- which is what I was fearing. 

The article goes on to discuss their new tagline, "Race it. Trick it. Survive it.".... go check it out if you have a few minutes. Also grabbed some new elise concept art. 

#17 Posted by Hailinel (22718 posts) -

I wasn't aware that all-girls flag football was a side-mode in this game.

#18 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Hailinel: That's actually the full game.
#19 Posted by Hailinel (22718 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" @Hailinel: That's actually the full game. "
So this is like Dead or Alive Extreme, then?
#20 Edited by Dany (7886 posts) -
@coonce:
The far right one was used before for something, maybe SSX3 or on tour but I'm sure that is not new

I do not want to play another Dark Summt

Why are they doing this?
#21 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Hailinel: Yes, except in the Himalayas. With Helicopters.
#22 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

SSX3 tried to do that stuff with the peaks. 

Those images remind me of the highest peak in SSX3.  

Dangerous, dark and cold as hell.

#23 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

Is he fucking boarding thru Middle Earth in that last screen?...

#24 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -
@coonce said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I hope it doesn't get all dual joystick realistic (Skate) or something weird like that. 
I just read a pretty interesting article on EGM.  They talk about members from the previous teams being on this team and how they are NOT going to be making a snowboarding sim (like Skate -- which I do enjoy, its just not SSX) -- which is what I was fearing. 

The article goes on to discuss their new tagline, "Race it. Trick it. Survive it.".... go check it out if you have a few minutes. Also grabbed some new elise concept art. 

"
Thank you for this good sir. Lovin her new boobs...I mean look. Hopefully Psymon and Mac get the same makeover. 

The upgraded look...not the boobs.
#25 Posted by Andorski (5111 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" ...gonna upload that first image to Reddit so I can get some karma. "
Upboat.
#26 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

It kinda looks like the third peak of SSX 3, right at the top. Coincidentally that was one of my least favourite levels from SSX 3.

#27 Edited by rmanthorp (3696 posts) -
@coonce: Videos for the "Race it. Trick it. Survive it." modes are starting to appear online. Personally really liking the new survive it more than I thought, use of dynamic camera angles and changing snowfalls along with wing suits and snow hooks! Exciting stuff.

Race it: 

Survive it: 

#28 Edited by coonce (1429 posts) -

@Rufi91: this is awesome! thanks for the heads up my man!

Mac Gameplay:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.