Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Pour one out for SSX

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Totori

Remember SSX, it's probably the best sports game for people that hate sports games. It came and went like a flash of lighting. It's been completely dead for months now, but it was really good while it at it's top.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Wow, really?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TentPole

Will always be a great game in my eyes.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Totori
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    Wow, really?
    Yeah people have moved on, big time.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

EA's own fucking fault - releasing SSX a week before ME3. Must have lost at least 50% of the community right then and there. That's what they get for making space in January and February for SW:TOR, and then pushing two games into the timeframe of a week, just for both of them to make their fiscal quarter.

The 20 odd tracks that work well for trick events are pure bliss, most of the rest is a matter of taste - and some of it is pure shit. Just hope SSX was successful enough to warrant a further iteration. This time all-out trick centric, and no more of them silly bottomless pits and shit.

It's still in my PS3 though, and I intend to play it every now and then. It's great fun. Guess NFS : Most Wanted 'A Criterion Game' will replace it later this year as pure and endless arcade fun console game spinning in my PS3.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Totori
    @Seppli: and it came out the same day as Binary Domain. Snowboard can't compete with Biiiiiiig Bo.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

@Totori said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    Wow, really?

Well what do you expect, how the hell do you ship SSX with no head to head multiplayer? As soon as i found out SSX basically only had Autolog i lost all interest in the game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@zombie2011 said:

@Totori said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
    Wow, really?

Well what do you expect, how the hell do you ship SSX with no head to head multiplayer? As soon as i found out SSX basically only had Autolog i lost all interest in the game.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I thought too. Three or four of my friends and I were all going to pick it up day one but then none of us did because it had no head to head. The game seemed awesome but a multiplayer game with no head to head seemed like it was destined to die fast.

Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fracture

Yeah, Open world SSX with multiplayer would have been a lot more fun than what we got. I don't think the "Hundreds of Levels" really grabs people anymore like it used to. People don't want hundreds of anything, they want like 10 or twenty things that are awesome and are re-visitable (look at the Call of Duty games).

Look at games like Burnout Paradise for inspiration. There was So much to do in that town both offline and online that made the entire experience so much fun and it all sat in one level.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wjb

Coonce hasn't been playing it for weeks, therefore it's dead.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I haven't plugged it back in for a while now, but that's solely because my account got hacked for a while there. Also, the TV on the Xbox station that I use at work died, so that didn't help matters any. By the time I FINALLY got my fucking Xbox account back, Diablo III was out.

The one thing that I remember about the game was that it felt too dense. I didn't need nearly the number of events they put into the game. Moreover, there were too many tracks that involved these unnecessary obstables and massive gaps to cover, large drop-offs that led to me hitting "restart" way too often. That was one of the major deterrents that kept me from going back before my account got hacked.

It was also released in a packed schedule. The Darkness II, Syndicate, Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning...everything was coming out around that game's release. EA really screwed the pooch on that one.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By NickL

Just putting this out there. If somebody with more competence then me created an SSX race night of some sort I would totally attend.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mesoian

Yeah, it had an okay run....but ultimately it just didn't have the legs needed for heavy competition. Leaderboard chasing gets a little old after a month.

It was a blast though, can't wait for the next one.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshthebear

It's too bad for anyone trying to get in now. That first couple of weeks going against everyone was pretty amazing and some of the most fun I'd had for some time.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss

I got all the achievements for it then quickly forgot about it....it was decent but it didn't hook me like the original and tricky did.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedRoach

@Seppli said:

EA's own fucking fault - releasing SSX a week before ME3. Must have lost at least 50% of the community right then and there. That's what they get for making space in January and February for SW:TOR, and then pushing two games into the timeframe of a week, just for both of them to make their fiscal quarter.

The 20 odd tracks that work well for trick events are pure bliss, most of the rest is a matter of taste - and some of it is pure shit. Just hope SSX was successful enough to warrant a further iteration. This time all-out trick centric, and no more of them silly bottomless pits and shit.

It's still in my PS3 though, and I intend to play it every now and then. It's great fun. Guess NFS : Most Wanted 'A Criterion Game' will replace it later this year as pure and endless arcade fun console game spinning in my PS3.

That's exactly why I stopped playing. When it came out, I played it non effing stop. SSX 3 is in my top five from last gen. Then a week later ME3 came out and, that consumed me for about 2 weeks. When I was done I tried, but could not get back into SSX to save my life.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

I found the single player really hard, I couldn't tell whether I was just bad or it was just hard. I did like the game though, it looked nice and played nice and had a cool soundtrack. I should revisit that game at some point.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Mesoian said:

Yeah, it had an okay run....but ultimately it just didn't have the legs needed for heavy competition. Leaderboard chasing gets a little old after a month.

So much this. I hoped they learned and take on everything that people thought flaws and move forward, I want to see SSX Tricky 2013.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi

Kinda sorry I bought it TBH. It was okay but man did it fizzle out fast.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@will_leisure said:

Coonce hasn't been playing it for weeks, therefore it's dead.

In fairness though, the reason Coonce hasn't played the game for weeks is because he has been out abseiling down the Himalayas into Hot Tubs full of beautiful women.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grissefar

@jakob187 said:

The one thing that I remember about the game was that it felt too dense. I didn't need nearly the number of events they put into the game. Moreover, there were too many tracks that involved these unnecessary obstables and massive gaps to cover, large drop-offs that led to me hitting "restart" way too often. That was one of the major deterrents that kept me from going back before my account got hacked.

Yeah, what the fuck? Finding a track that doesn't involve tiny caves you can barely trick in, narrow paths filled with trees, bottomless pits or darkness is like winning the lottery. That combined with terrible controls and pointless rewind makes it the most awfully misguided game since Ninja Gaiden 3. You would think it would be one of those situations where playtesting would actually do some good. Complete shit all over. Not since Sonic Generations have I returned a game so quickly to the libeary.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@rmanthorp said:

@Mesoian said:

So much this. I hoped they learned and take on everything that people thought flaws and move forward, I want to see SSX Tricky 2013.

I would love to see that. I liked the original SSX, but Tricky was such a great update of it that I think a similar thing with this series would be super successful (gameplay wise, at least; dunno about sales).

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By brownsfantb

As a big fan of the original PS2 games, I was really disappointed with this one. Even though they backtracked from the Deadly Descents stuff a little bit, it still wasn't the same. The individual characters weren't as unique as they used to be and those stupid helicopter pilots had more spoken dialogue, which I didn't understand at all.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By NMC2008

It's still on my buy list with a ton of other stuff.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeushbien

I wasn't a fan of the level design, they chose quantity over quality imo.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Modern gaming. Release, abandon, remake.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By jaycrockett

I bought the Mount Eddie DLC and immediately regretted it. While the track is good it's still not up to the standards of the previous games.

It looks like this game sold about half of what SSX 3 did, so there may not be an opportunity to correct it's mistakes.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By OldManLight

i liked this game but what they needed to make was SSX 3 with multiplayer. Not to say that this game is bad, but they didn't satisfy most people that were fans and sure didn't make any new ones. Also, how do you make a racing game that doesn't let you race other players in real time? It could've used another few months of dev time to add some features IMO.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By gla55jAw

@OldManLight said:

i liked this game but what they needed to make was SSX 3 with multiplayer. Not to say that this game is bad, but they didn't satisfy most people that were fans and sure didn't make any new ones. Also, how do you make a racing game that doesn't let you race other players in real time? It could've used another few months of dev time to add some features IMO.

There was a free update that let's you race other players in real time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.