Pour one out for SSX

#1 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Remember SSX, it's probably the best sports game for people that hate sports games. It came and went like a flash of lighting. It's been completely dead for months now, but it was really good while it at it's top.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Wow, really?

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Will always be a great game in my eyes.

#4 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
Wow, really?
Yeah people have moved on, big time.
#5 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

EA's own fucking fault - releasing SSX a week before ME3. Must have lost at least 50% of the community right then and there. That's what they get for making space in January and February for SW:TOR, and then pushing two games into the timeframe of a week, just for both of them to make their fiscal quarter.

The 20 odd tracks that work well for trick events are pure bliss, most of the rest is a matter of taste - and some of it is pure shit. Just hope SSX was successful enough to warrant a further iteration. This time all-out trick centric, and no more of them silly bottomless pits and shit.

It's still in my PS3 though, and I intend to play it every now and then. It's great fun. Guess NFS : Most Wanted 'A Criterion Game' will replace it later this year as pure and endless arcade fun console game spinning in my PS3.

#6 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Seppli: and it came out the same day as Binary Domain. Snowboard can't compete with Biiiiiiig Bo.
#7 Posted by zombie2011 (5055 posts) -

@Totori said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
Wow, really?
Yeah people have moved on, big time.

Well what do you expect, how the hell do you ship SSX with no head to head multiplayer? As soon as i found out SSX basically only had Autolog i lost all interest in the game.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

@Totori said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
Wow, really?
Yeah people have moved on, big time.

Well what do you expect, how the hell do you ship SSX with no head to head multiplayer? As soon as i found out SSX basically only had Autolog i lost all interest in the game.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I thought too. Three or four of my friends and I were all going to pick it up day one but then none of us did because it had no head to head. The game seemed awesome but a multiplayer game with no head to head seemed like it was destined to die fast.

#9 Posted by Fracture (157 posts) -

Yeah, Open world SSX with multiplayer would have been a lot more fun than what we got. I don't think the "Hundreds of Levels" really grabs people anymore like it used to. People don't want hundreds of anything, they want like 10 or twenty things that are awesome and are re-visitable (look at the Call of Duty games).

Look at games like Burnout Paradise for inspiration. There was So much to do in that town both offline and online that made the entire experience so much fun and it all sat in one level.

#10 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

Coonce hasn't been playing it for weeks, therefore it's dead.

Online
#11 Posted by jakob187 (21776 posts) -

I haven't plugged it back in for a while now, but that's solely because my account got hacked for a while there. Also, the TV on the Xbox station that I use at work died, so that didn't help matters any. By the time I FINALLY got my fucking Xbox account back, Diablo III was out.

The one thing that I remember about the game was that it felt too dense. I didn't need nearly the number of events they put into the game. Moreover, there were too many tracks that involved these unnecessary obstables and massive gaps to cover, large drop-offs that led to me hitting "restart" way too often. That was one of the major deterrents that kept me from going back before my account got hacked.

It was also released in a packed schedule. The Darkness II, Syndicate, Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning...everything was coming out around that game's release. EA really screwed the pooch on that one.

#12 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

Just putting this out there. If somebody with more competence then me created an SSX race night of some sort I would totally attend.

#13 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Yeah, it had an okay run....but ultimately it just didn't have the legs needed for heavy competition. Leaderboard chasing gets a little old after a month.

It was a blast though, can't wait for the next one.

#14 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

It's too bad for anyone trying to get in now. That first couple of weeks going against everyone was pretty amazing and some of the most fun I'd had for some time.

#15 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I got all the achievements for it then quickly forgot about it....it was decent but it didn't hook me like the original and tricky did.

#16 Posted by RedRoach (1216 posts) -

@Seppli said:

EA's own fucking fault - releasing SSX a week before ME3. Must have lost at least 50% of the community right then and there. That's what they get for making space in January and February for SW:TOR, and then pushing two games into the timeframe of a week, just for both of them to make their fiscal quarter.

The 20 odd tracks that work well for trick events are pure bliss, most of the rest is a matter of taste - and some of it is pure shit. Just hope SSX was successful enough to warrant a further iteration. This time all-out trick centric, and no more of them silly bottomless pits and shit.

It's still in my PS3 though, and I intend to play it every now and then. It's great fun. Guess NFS : Most Wanted 'A Criterion Game' will replace it later this year as pure and endless arcade fun console game spinning in my PS3.

That's exactly why I stopped playing. When it came out, I played it non effing stop. SSX 3 is in my top five from last gen. Then a week later ME3 came out and, that consumed me for about 2 weeks. When I was done I tried, but could not get back into SSX to save my life.

#17 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I found the single player really hard, I couldn't tell whether I was just bad or it was just hard. I did like the game though, it looked nice and played nice and had a cool soundtrack. I should revisit that game at some point.

#18 Posted by rmanthorp (4064 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Yeah, it had an okay run....but ultimately it just didn't have the legs needed for heavy competition. Leaderboard chasing gets a little old after a month.

It was a blast though, can't wait for the next one.

So much this. I hoped they learned and take on everything that people thought flaws and move forward, I want to see SSX Tricky 2013.

Moderator
#19 Posted by Demoskinos (15188 posts) -

Kinda sorry I bought it TBH. It was okay but man did it fizzle out fast.

#20 Edited by Sweep (8986 posts) -

@will_leisure said:

Coonce hasn't been playing it for weeks, therefore it's dead.

In fairness though, the reason Coonce hasn't played the game for weeks is because he has been out abseiling down the Himalayas into Hot Tubs full of beautiful women.

Moderator
#21 Edited by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

The one thing that I remember about the game was that it felt too dense. I didn't need nearly the number of events they put into the game. Moreover, there were too many tracks that involved these unnecessary obstables and massive gaps to cover, large drop-offs that led to me hitting "restart" way too often. That was one of the major deterrents that kept me from going back before my account got hacked.

Yeah, what the fuck? Finding a track that doesn't involve tiny caves you can barely trick in, narrow paths filled with trees, bottomless pits or darkness is like winning the lottery. That combined with terrible controls and pointless rewind makes it the most awfully misguided game since Ninja Gaiden 3. You would think it would be one of those situations where playtesting would actually do some good. Complete shit all over. Not since Sonic Generations have I returned a game so quickly to the libeary.

#22 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@rmanthorp said:

@Mesoian said:

Yeah, it had an okay run....but ultimately it just didn't have the legs needed for heavy competition. Leaderboard chasing gets a little old after a month.

It was a blast though, can't wait for the next one.

So much this. I hoped they learned and take on everything that people thought flaws and move forward, I want to see SSX Tricky 2013.

I would love to see that. I liked the original SSX, but Tricky was such a great update of it that I think a similar thing with this series would be super successful (gameplay wise, at least; dunno about sales).

#23 Posted by brownsfantb (401 posts) -

As a big fan of the original PS2 games, I was really disappointed with this one. Even though they backtracked from the Deadly Descents stuff a little bit, it still wasn't the same. The individual characters weren't as unique as they used to be and those stupid helicopter pilots had more spoken dialogue, which I didn't understand at all.

#24 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

It's still on my buy list with a ton of other stuff.

#25 Posted by Twinsun (495 posts) -

I wasn't a fan of the level design, they chose quantity over quality imo.

#26 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Modern gaming. Release, abandon, remake.

#27 Posted by jaycrockett (492 posts) -

I bought the Mount Eddie DLC and immediately regretted it. While the track is good it's still not up to the standards of the previous games.

It looks like this game sold about half of what SSX 3 did, so there may not be an opportunity to correct it's mistakes.

#28 Edited by OldManLight (914 posts) -

i liked this game but what they needed to make was SSX 3 with multiplayer. Not to say that this game is bad, but they didn't satisfy most people that were fans and sure didn't make any new ones. Also, how do you make a racing game that doesn't let you race other players in real time? It could've used another few months of dev time to add some features IMO.

#29 Posted by gla55jAw (2698 posts) -

@OldManLight said:

i liked this game but what they needed to make was SSX 3 with multiplayer. Not to say that this game is bad, but they didn't satisfy most people that were fans and sure didn't make any new ones. Also, how do you make a racing game that doesn't let you race other players in real time? It could've used another few months of dev time to add some features IMO.

There was a free update that let's you race other players in real time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.