Really struggling with the SSX soundtrack

Posted by Sunjammer (913 posts) -

My suggestion right now would be, if you already have some issues with what drum&bass and dubstep have become these days, you may want to leave SSX alone. It's that dominant a sound, and it becomes repetitive real, real fast.

Even the best tunes don't stand up to this kind of repeat play under these kinds of circumstances (such as, for instance, already being frustrated with a particularly hard drop), and considering how wildly formulaic drum&bass in particular can be, you'll be hearing the same generic intro or repeated drop over and over and over again.

I have to take breaks from the game regularly now, not because the game itself is tiring, but because the music drives me up the walls. Not all of it; There are some great tunes in there. But the repeat offenders, typically the d&b tracks, are really hard to stomach. It's a shame, because the game itself is super cool. It's like being given a decent 20 minute d&b mixtape; The first time you hear it, it's cool. Second time, still okay, no surprises. 10th time, you are dying for something else.

#1 Posted by Sunjammer (913 posts) -

My suggestion right now would be, if you already have some issues with what drum&bass and dubstep have become these days, you may want to leave SSX alone. It's that dominant a sound, and it becomes repetitive real, real fast.

Even the best tunes don't stand up to this kind of repeat play under these kinds of circumstances (such as, for instance, already being frustrated with a particularly hard drop), and considering how wildly formulaic drum&bass in particular can be, you'll be hearing the same generic intro or repeated drop over and over and over again.

I have to take breaks from the game regularly now, not because the game itself is tiring, but because the music drives me up the walls. Not all of it; There are some great tunes in there. But the repeat offenders, typically the d&b tracks, are really hard to stomach. It's a shame, because the game itself is super cool. It's like being given a decent 20 minute d&b mixtape; The first time you hear it, it's cool. Second time, still okay, no surprises. 10th time, you are dying for something else.

#2 Posted by Peacemaker (1104 posts) -

You could always make a custom playlist with your own music.

#3 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

You can upload your own music or just turn off the songs you don't like in the music section of Ridernet.

#4 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@Peacemaker said:

You could always make a custom playlist with your own music.

@PeasantAbuse said:

You can upload your own music or just turn off the songs you don't like in the music section of Ridernet.

Yeah, that.

Actuallty i kind of agree with you, some great tunes in there, but, i'm pretty tired of more than half of it.

That's why i'm working on setting up my custom playlist, right now.

#5 Posted by Stackboy (496 posts) -

Be cool like me and make a custom playlist.

#6 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Just make custom playlists. I did that and now couldn't imagine playing it any other way.

#7 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

@joshthebear: @Stackboy: Do you have to use a CD though? It seems so dumb. I have all my music ready to go on a flashpen I can't see why I can't use that.

#8 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

@rmanthorp said:

@joshthebear: @Stackboy: Do you have to use a CD though? It seems so dumb. I have all my music ready to go on a flashpen I can't see why I can't use that.

You can use a flashdrive on PS3, not sure about 360.

#9 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
@rmanthorp

Yeah, it's quite tedious but totally worth it.
#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I finally found a use for Windows Media Player, I pointed it to my iTunes library, and then made a playlist for SSX, and streamed it to the Xbox. It works with the effects and shit, so that's nice.

#11 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Yeah, that's a great way to do it but, i don't want to have my laptop on, whille i'm playing on the 360.

I used to have a desktop, and i would just leave that on the wholle day, but with my laptop, i always close it when i'm not using it.

It's just so stupid all the shit you have to go through, just to put your music into the 360, i mean fuck me, they even let you use pen drives as memory cards now, so why thet fuck do i have to make a cd to rip music to the xbox...

That just tells me that they don't even care...

#12 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

I could've sworn reading somewhere that Cut Chemist did the soundtrack. That would've been dope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.