Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Should I get SSX if I'm not good at it?

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

The demo was actually really fun, but I have a feeling I'll never get a gold medal in any event. 
    The best I can do in the demo is 4 mill on trick and 3rd place on race.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

All the more reason to get it if you ask me. A big part of the fun is learning the courses, improving yourself, and finally pulling off a kickass string of tricks that nets you a great score after dozens of failed attempts. The worse you are at the outset, the more of those moments you have ahead of you.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

What's the fun in getting something that you are already good at? If you start at the bottom you can only improve, which leads to a bigger sense of accomplishment than if you started out on top.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lightsoda

Depends on how competitive you are I guess. I have spent countless hours on SSX3 just doing big air and super pipe because it's so much fun to trick out. I probably would've gotten SSX either way, but it does add alot for me to have a bunch of rival times and scores!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the gameplay in itself can be alot of fun, is it enough for you? You might get better at it if it is!

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MrRedwine

These guys just want you to get it so that they can be higher then you on the leaderboard. Don't listen to them, you probably won't have any fun at all with the game if you aren't top 100 in the world.

Obviously, I am joking. You should get it.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @mosespippy said:

What's the fun in getting something that you are already good at?

Fighting games are games you would want to get when your already good at them.
    lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lightsoda

@MrRedwine: Shhhhhh...

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you like the game get it. Nobody gives a shit if you're bad. If you're entertained or enjoying yourself that doesn't matter.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

I have a better time in games like these when I'm not good at them, since there's more room to improve.

It's like Rock Band 3: I'm utterly terrible at pro keys, but I see improvement every time. I'd hate to be one of those people that has each song mastered, since at that point you're just eking out an extra point or two every once in awhile, and missing a single note is grounds for a restart.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By myniceicelife

The more you play the better you get. And even though you may only do that good on the tracks that are in the demo, who's to say that you wouldn't be able to kill it on a different course? Give it a try, do the World Tour mode, level your characters, and don't get bummed if someone beats you. More motivation to get better :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I misread the title upon glancing at it...

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deskp

If its fun, get it!!

D_Justice91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By D_Justice91

I know that's not the best you can do. When it comes out, look up tips and tricks to improve. Watch ghosts of better players. 4 mil and 3rd place is not the best you can do. I have faith in you. Get the game. It's going to be SEEEIEIEEEAACCCKKKKK. Sick.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dany

Do you like to have fun? Then YES! Leaderboard whatever.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BPRJCTX

Listen, i used to be really good at SSX3, the only game i ever played competitively, i even won some contests on PSM, 3 months in a row, having to beat my own scores, cos there was nobody else up to it.

But, you know how i got there?

I got there not because i wanted to be good at it, i got there because i just wanted to have fun, and that game was so much fun, that i just kept playing it.

Obviously, just by playing it and having fun, you'll get better.

And even if you don't become number one, who gives a fuck, it's just a video game!!!

So, just have fun...

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer

Dude, who cares if you're good at it. The only question is: Did you have fun?

If you had fun and want to play more of it, get the game. You'll get better as you play and learn. Add some folks from GB to your friends list and you'll be competing and having a blast!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was fun then yes. If not fun then no.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By frankxiv

i was super into the idea of a new ssx game, but playing the demo just kinda re-confirmed that i've always been bad at, and have never been able to get into, those kinds of games and that isn't going to change with this one.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By MEATBALL

I've found myself a little on the fence about picking the game up for similar reasons. I've been enjoying the demo, but after putting a lot of time into it and only managing silvers it was really starting to become disheartening/frustrating. Then again I've happily bought games in the past that I've been terrible at and still been happy with my purchase - like Super Street Fighter IV.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@Shun_Akiyama: It's also important to note that the scores in the demo are probably exaggerated for the sake of the demos longevity. The first half of the game you will probably have to beat scores like 200,000 to get Gold and it will slowly start amping up. Golding those earlier tracks will not only be enjoyable but good practice for when they start throwing out Million score goals.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Barrabas

@Humanity: Are you sure about that? I was kind of under the impression in explore everything was available right away and you go where you please. I could be wrong about that though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Humanity

@Barrabas said:

@Humanity: Are you sure about that? I was kind of under the impression in explore everything was available right away and you go where you please. I could be wrong about that though.

I'm not a 100% on that but I can only assume since it's still a video game theres some sort of progression and you'll have to unlock courses.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Barrabas

@Humanity said:

@Barrabas said:

I'm not a 100% on that but I can only assume since it's still a video game theres some sort of progression and you'll have to unlock courses.

I had figured that the story mode was there for the progression / learning curve elements and that explore would be a completely open mode for taking on medals and friend's high scores. I suppose this is all purely conjecture though. I'll find out one way or the other on Tuesday.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

The only reason that you shouldn't get SSX is if you truly hate yourself.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Humanity

@Barrabas: I suppose then I was directing my earlier posts towards the story aspect. I remember in On tour some of the earliest drops when you're ranked 100-90 have challenges like "Grind 100m" and thats it and they give you an entire drop for it. So going through that stuff one by one as they slowly get more and more challenging will be like a training mode and you don't have to feel terrible because you can't beat someones 40mil score on Explore.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By EarlessShrimp

As long as you find it fun that's fine! I mean I suck at fighting games but I still play them. Fun is paramount, skill is secondary.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seesic

If it's a fun game and you have the money, go for it. I'm sure you'll get better if you put time in and unlock new boards.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jozzy

@onimonkii said:

i was super into the idea of a new ssx game, but playing the demo just kinda re-confirmed that i've always been bad at, and have never been able to get into, those kinds of games and that isn't going to change with this one.

Yup, I always like the idea of these type of games but never actually enjoy playing them. The demo saved me from making that mistake again.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gike987

@Humanity said:

@Shun_Akiyama: It's also important to note that the scores in the demo are probably exaggerated for the sake of the demos longevity. The first half of the game you will probably have to beat scores like 200,000 to get Gold and it will slowly start amping up. Golding those earlier tracks will not only be enjoyable but good practice for when they start throwing out Million score goals.

You can get more than 200,000 in a single trick. I'm pretty sure the medals will be similar to the demo. Once you figure out how to get high scores (holding one trick while spinning is better than many short tricks) the scores are really not that hard to beat, I get around 15 million almost every run.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By JasonR86

@Shun_Akiyama said:

The demo was actually really fun, but I have a feeling I'll never get a gold medal in any event. The best I can do in the demo is 4 mill on trick and 3rd place on race.

Sort of like every single video game ever made, you'll probably get better at it with time.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#31  Edited By Dimsey

If I only bought games I were good at I wouldn't have very many games. 
    I don't believe practice makes perfect but it can make at least sort-of-okay, so long as you're having fun who cares?

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Twiggy199

Practice makes perfect.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrRedwine

Remember also that you are playing with characters who have no bonuses for equipment attached to them. When you play the full game you will get gear that boosts your performance to some extent. This will help you beat the scores set by the game. Scores set by other players, however, will also include the gear bonuses, so that will just take practice.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Shun_Akiyama said:

The demo was actually really fun, but I have a feeling I'll never get a gold medal in any event. The best I can do in the demo is 4 mill on trick and 3rd place on race.

@onimonkii said:

Good news. You should see my recent post: http://www.giantbomb.com/ssx/61-33393/great-news-for-people-who-suck-at-the-demo/35-537286

tychris91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tychris91

@ShaggE: Haha that's me (well used to be me) with the RB and GH franchise. Stopped playing due to the fact I had no more reasonable comp. But on topic even if you suck you should still get it becasue when you get good you can think back at when you weren't so good and that's an amazing feeling. Plus as long as you are having fun it shouldn't matter

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bunnymud

I sucked HARDCORE at the demo (never played a SSX game before) and I still cannot wait for tomorrow. Goals are a thing to strive towards and I away the rewards with a constant grin.

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CapnThrash

i posted this in another thread, but if anyone wants to add someone who's not super good at this game, feel free to add me on XBL: CapnThrash

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By mcbonjon

I've played a fair amount of the game and I can say, I'm decent for a n00b to this. This is my first snowboarding game and I'm having a blast with the game.

To me that's all that matters.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vao

try the race with zoe. I tried maybe 10 times with mac and was always 5-10 sec slower then silver. someone mentioned that to me and i got first easy. the +15 speed is really nice for a race :P

Your also be racing your friends list too so as long as you add a bunch of other noobs to your rider.net you should be fine :P

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bribo

REDACTED

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zaccheus
    @Bribo: C'mon duder, one thread was locked already, isn't that enough? 
    Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bribo

@Zaccheus: Catastrophe averted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.