Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

SSX - Only 1 in 5 Tracks Feels Like It's Made With Love and Care

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Been getting back into SSX the last couple of days. What stood out to me most was, how many tracks feel half assed. Like something that's not been professionally designed and playtested and polished. Barely modified randomly generated tracks. Most productions mock up a tonne of levels for their game, and cut everything that's not living up to 'their' standard, and only produce in earnest the best concepts. A shit level in SSX is simply labeled a 'Survival Level' or something.

As a semi-compulsive somewhat-completionist, when I get hung up on doing something unfun in SSX, it can be hours spent on crap filler content. The dillution of quality content and game experience is sad. I'd rather spend 5 times more time on brilliant tracks like Serenity and Bulldog, than waste time on butt-fuggly and unpolished turds as found on many a mountain range all around the globe.

A lot less crap and some more gold nuggets, that'd be awesome. If only I knew good tracks from bad ones by their names. Too often I spend big coin on some global event, just to find out that it's a shit track and I don't really enjoy my stay there. Haven't quite learned the names of the 50+ tracks to know which ones are fun to play on the different types of events - respectively which ones are completely unfun, unpolished turds.

SSX has A LOT of content. Much of which is brilliant. If you'd cut out all the crap, that'd make SSX consistently brillant, rather than flaky (but still good). I really hate that it's up to me to make it so. Why do I have to sift through a tonne of crap to find the (plentyful) nuggets of brilliance I enjoy so much? Isn't that the gaming industy professional's job?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Seppli

Been getting back into SSX the last couple of days. What stood out to me most was, how many tracks feel half assed. Like something that's not been professionally designed and playtested and polished. Barely modified randomly generated tracks. Most productions mock up a tonne of levels for their game, and cut everything that's not living up to 'their' standard, and only produce in earnest the best concepts. A shit level in SSX is simply labeled a 'Survival Level' or something.

As a semi-compulsive somewhat-completionist, when I get hung up on doing something unfun in SSX, it can be hours spent on crap filler content. The dillution of quality content and game experience is sad. I'd rather spend 5 times more time on brilliant tracks like Serenity and Bulldog, than waste time on butt-fuggly and unpolished turds as found on many a mountain range all around the globe.

A lot less crap and some more gold nuggets, that'd be awesome. If only I knew good tracks from bad ones by their names. Too often I spend big coin on some global event, just to find out that it's a shit track and I don't really enjoy my stay there. Haven't quite learned the names of the 50+ tracks to know which ones are fun to play on the different types of events - respectively which ones are completely unfun, unpolished turds.

SSX has A LOT of content. Much of which is brilliant. If you'd cut out all the crap, that'd make SSX consistently brillant, rather than flaky (but still good). I really hate that it's up to me to make it so. Why do I have to sift through a tonne of crap to find the (plentyful) nuggets of brilliance I enjoy so much? Isn't that the gaming industy professional's job?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mesoian

@Seppli said:

As a a semi-compulsive somewhat-completionist, when I get hung up on doing something unfun in SSX, it can be hours spent on crap filler content. The dillution of quality content and game experience is sad. I'd rather spend 5 times more time on brilliant tracks like Serenity and Bulldog, than waste time on butt-fuggly and unpolished turds as found on many a mountain range all around the globe.

A lot less crap and some more gold nuggets, that'd be awesome. If only I knew good tracks from bad ones by the name. Too often I spend big coin on some global event, just to find out that it's a shit track and I don't really enjoy my stay there. Havent' quite learned the names of the 50+ tracks to know which ones are fun to play on the different types of events - respectively which ones are conpletely unfun - unpolished turds.

Agreed. Though there are 151 drops, only about 40 of them feel like amazing experiences.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

Sorry you feel that way.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Eh, it's going to happen when they want to include so many peaks.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Eh, it's going to happen when they want to include so many peaks.

If only I wasn't compelled by some mysterious force, to play them all. I have a 5 in 1 chance to play something shit. That are shit odds. Even if the absolute number of awesome stuff is actually pretty high.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

i agree a little. one thing that i hate is some mountains with holes in them. there are jumps and the jump leads right into the whole. i think the rookie part of the mountains are good as they don't have too many holes in them.

another thing that i don't like is the rewind feature. during races it's pretty useless as it makes everyone else stay normal but you can rewind. if you lose big time then you should just restart. trick it, it subtracts a couple of thousand points. all in all, rewind feature is useless.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

All I need is Serenity, baby. I could play that track all goddamn day. I need to get back into SSX.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By jaycrockett

The problem is there are no trick tracks. And no race tracks. The only tracks specifically build for anything are the survival tracks.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MethodMan008

I agree.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BPRJCTX

Quality over quantity.

I should have known, when they started talkin' about the huge number of tracks in the game.

@jaycrockett said:

The problem is there are no trick tracks. And no race tracks. The only tracks specifically build for anything are the survival tracks.

Seriously, i would have been happy with 3 big ass fake crazy mountains, like in SSX3.

With well designed tracks for racing, and well designed tracks for tricking, not a ton of random multipurpose tracks, that half of them aren't even fun to play, with all the bottomless pits...

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Jaktajj

Why does everyone love Serenity? I thought Serenity was boring as fuck. I love the tracks which can kill you very easily. It makes tricking more fun and more satisfying when you land it and is actually a challenge.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

I'd go even further ... most of the tracks are complete rubbish and the rest is mediocre at best. They should've focussed on including fewer but better tracks. Even the good ones aren't as good as the tracks in SSX3, for example.

Unfortunately, the demo got my hopes up and made me buy the game. Huge mistake as it turned out to be one big disappointment. Sold the game after 3 days.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Vestigial_Man

Outside of the survival events, I really hate the death chasms that litter some levels. With how useless the rewind system is you're forced to restart leading to hours spent infuriated, memorising routes down the mountain that allow for a decent combo to be preserved. One of the Mt. Fuji stages was awful for this, absolutely no fun whatsoever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.