Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Stuff I'm hating (Ranty rant rant!)

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Okay, I need to vent!!

Firstly, who's idea was it to put in 'instant fails' into the courses?!? If you ramp up the speed of the game, and stick the camera lower down when jumping off into the unkown, whats the fucking point of making it so you can just fly off the edge of a mountain and die?! You can rewind, but the penalty for that means you might as well restart the course!!

Second, changing the prewind system. WHY would I prewind holding a direction if that means my rider is GOING TO STEER IN THAT DIRECTION WHILST PREWINDING?!?! It just means I'll fly off the jump at the wrong angle!! Anyone who's played the old games knows you line up your jump in advance and prewind to fly off in the right direction with the right spin!!

Third, the trick system. They keep saying 'ohh for all you originals, use the buttons' WELL WHERES MY OPTION TO USE THE FUCKING SHOULDER BUTTONS?! Y'know, like in the ORIGINAL ones?! JESUS! It doesnt feel like theres anywhere near as many tricks as their used to be!!

Apologies for the obviously childish nature of this, but I've just restarted for the 5th twatting time against Elise because of some grindable edge chucking me off the side of the cliff!! This game is INSANELY unforgiving!!

Oh, and the redesigns of the characters SUCK ASS. They made Elise ugly for chrissakes!!! Wheres my OTT dudes shouting constantly?! So far....hating this :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

1. It's for challenge. After a lot of pracitce I can consistently make it though some of the more difficult tracks in one go

2. Just prewind later, you get the same speed on your spins.

3. Pretty sure the classic control scheme uses the shoulder buttons.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By bloodlines

Use classic control scheme if you want too use the shoulder buttons.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Yeah, its such a steep learning curve, and so far the course design seems horrible!! And unless I'm missin something (360 version) the tricks are on the face buttons and gear, boost and grinds are on the shoulders!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Change the control scheme in the options... I JUST tried it myself and it works. It also feels like you turn less when prewinding on this setup too. Might solve a few of your problems.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BPRJCTX

Ok, i agree with most of what you said, so i'm just going to correct you on these:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

Third, the trick system. They keep saying 'ohh for all you originals, use the buttons' WELL WHERES MY OPTION TO USE THE FUCKING SHOULDER BUTTONS?! Y'know, like in the ORIGINAL ones?! JESUS! It doesnt feel like theres anywhere near as many tricks as their used to be!!

So, what they mean with that is, there's an option in the menus, where you can change your control setup to clasic controls, meaning it will controll exactly like SSX3.

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

Oh, and the redesigns of the characters SUCK ASS. They made Elise ugly for chrissakes!!! Wheres my OTT dudes shouting constantly?! So far....hating this :(

Yeah i kind of agree, and i already said that, that could have been avoided if they had added character costumization like in SSX 3, that way you could just make 'hem look the way you wanted.

And about the characters shouting, they still do, but it's hard to hear it 80% of the time because of the remix engine.

And now let me leave my gripes with it.

They made playing the World Tour mode feel like a waste of time, i made a great score on one of the tracks in world tour, went to check it out on explore to see where i standed, and it wasn't there, made me feel like a dumb fuck restarting all those times, and makes me not want to touch world tour again.

And, about the online mode they have, the Global Events, i wanted to believe in it, but it just doesn't feel like you're playing online, i know that when you see players, those guys are there, but it just feels like you're always playing alone.

I have to say that i had more fun playing online in SSX3, almost 10 years ago, on the freaking PS2.

I like what they did with the online, but there's no reason why they couldn't have done both the Global Events, and regular online races and trick events, like in SSX3.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

OOOoooooOOOO SWEET!! I'll get stuck in with this then! When you do the tutorial, and select 'buttons', it should totally have let the option for ol' school controls be in there as well!!

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

What's a bit of a pisstake, is that changing to the old controls doesnt change the loading screens or anything like that, so you're constantly reading one thing and interpretting it differently. Its very counter-intuitive!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By iam3green

yep, problems there. i don't mind too much of the face buttons but i hate how sometimes when i am holding jump button but i have enough speed to get in the air person ends up doing a grab.

yeah, online doesn't really feel online.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaLe

I'm most disappointed by how quickly I've become bored with the game. The demo really had me pumped but after playing the game for only 1 day I'm already tired of it. Wasn't what I expected I guess.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djratchet

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

What's a bit of a pisstake, is that changing to the old controls doesnt change the loading screens or anything like that, so you're constantly reading one thing and interpretting it differently. Its very counter-intuitive!

That I will agree with, kinda lazy on their part to not re-write the tips for Classic, but odds are you know the controls if you turned em on.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By CandleJakk

@ShalashaskaUK666: Hit the back button. The camera will pull out considerably. It's much better.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

So after playing for a good couple hours, I'm starting to get used to the controls a bit! I tried classic but after already playing the demo and a few races with the newer controls, as well as any tutorial things being in the new controls, I'm jus gonna stick with them!

It seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure how character progression is gonna feel because you start out spinning and flipping LIKE A BOSS, and with the randomness of the gear you get, it might be a case of your mate beating your time because he randomly got access to a faster board!

I'm not sure if overall, looking at the character designs, overall art style and multiplayer approach, whether I'd have preferred Tricky Part 2 or not. Just more awesome voice work, larger than life characters, the rival system implemented more, and no BULLSHIT story haha!

I do love the idea of racing down Mt Everest though, even if in actuality it'll probably make me rage so much I'll look like Asura! MAJOR ups and downs with this game. Initially anyway!

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By eccentrix

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

some grindable edge chucking me off the side of the cliff!!

There's one rail I always hit which I forget sends you flying straight into a pylon. It's possible to go in between the girders, but still frustrating.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

@eccentrix said:

@ShalashaskaUK666 said:

some grindable edge chucking me off the side of the cliff!!

There's one rail I always hit which I forget sends you flying straight into a pylon. It's possible to go in between the girders, but still frustrating.

Yah is that conscious design or what? There are a ton of rails and jumps that seemingly hurl you towards tree's, walls or just a random direction that doesn't line up with anything coming up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.