Xbox 360 - Demo - 30 FPS. Good God.

• 114 results
#1 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

This is fucking horrible. 30 FPS, for SSX? Are you kidding me?

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

It's not really a game that requires 60.

#3 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

I feel as we get further and further into this generation, the consoles are being pushed more and more and 25-30fps is becoming the norm.

Now I find 30 fps to be fine in most games but damn I wish next gen would come sooner.

#4 Posted by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

Inputs are done at sixty, rendering is done at 30 with motion blur.

#5 Posted by rmanthorp (3694 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

That's the ticket. :D

#6 Posted by Hosstile17 (747 posts) -

This same argument came up when NFS Hot Pursuit was coming out. Then everyone played it and had a blast with it. You will be fine.

#7 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

Hoping the 720 / next gen will have backwards compatibility. This hardware is starting to really do a disservice to the hard work people put into their games. Anyways, MOAR FACEBOOK AND TWOOTOR INTEGRATION LESS FRAMES PER SECOND THE ANIME AVATAR INTERNET PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN GO GO GO GO /DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by cinemandrew (711 posts) -

@astromanz: I bet the game is WAY less fun with only 30fps.

#9 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

@Hosstile17 said:

This same argument came up when NFS Hot Pursuit was coming out. Then everyone played it and had a blast with it. You will be fine.

What he said.

#10 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

The Gravitude Bar • View topic - SSX Ubercast
http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...8998&start=500

TrickyEmu wrote:
Fast-paced games tend to look horrible at 30 fps or below. SSX 3 was known for its smooth animations and high framerate making everything flow like butter. What is the framerate in the game?

the inputs are done at 60. Rendering at 30 with motion blur
#11 Posted by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

Considering how good and fast the game looked in Giant Bomb's SSX Quick Look EX, I'd say the developer must have done a great job making 30FPS look good. I don't think this will be a big complaint come launch day.

#12 Edited by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

@astromanz: Glad I'm not the only one who listens to the ubercast!

#13 Edited by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

This sounds intriguing. I'd be interested to know how this works.

#14 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

@astromanz: Glad I'm not the only one who listens to the ubercast!

:)

#15 Posted by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

@astromanz said:

MOAR FACEBOOK AND TWOOTOR INTEGRATION LESS FRAMES PER SECOND THE ANIME AVATAR INTERNET PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN GO GO GO GO /DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are those correlated?

#16 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

@astromanz said:

MOAR FACEBOOK AND TWOOTOR INTEGRATION LESS FRAMES PER SECOND THE ANIME AVATAR INTERNET PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN GO GO GO GO /DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are those correlated?

I have no idea.

#17 Posted by billyhoush (1186 posts) -

I demand 24 fps for the full cinematic effect!

#18 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

I demand 24 fps for the full cinematic effect!

Full reflective snowboards coming right up! Inputs are done at six hundred, rendering is done at 6 with motion blur.

#19 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

Inputs are done at 9000, rendering is done at derp with motion herp.

#20 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

I bet if it ran at 30 but they claimed it was 60, 90% of you clowns would be happy.

#21 Posted by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

@astromanz: Are you ok?

#22 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I bet if it ran at 30 but they claimed it was 60, 90% of you clowns would be happy.

You can tell though. I mean, it runs at fucking 30, dude. Although its claimed the internal physics engine runs at 500FPS or what the hell ever.

#23 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

@astromanz: Are you ok?

Just experiencing some public forum fatigue.

#24 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

lol consoles

#25 Posted by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

@astromanz: Ok, just making sure. Thought you were stroking out or something. :P

#26 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (693 posts) -

@SlasherMan: It's pretty self explanatory. Input devices will be polled at a rate of 60Hz (And I guess the game itself runs at 60Hz) while the scene is rendered to the screen at a rate of 30Hz. The rendered image is updated every two "input frames". I imagine that the rendering is performed on a separate thread to the rest of the game. Either that or the rendering is interleaved within the rest of the game with a time slice that allows the rest to run at 60FPS and results in the rendered image being ready every two frames.

#27 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

@astromanz said:

@MethodMan008 said:

The Gravitude Bar • View topic - SSX Ubercast
http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum...8998&start=500

TrickyEmu wrote:
Fast-paced games tend to look horrible at 30 fps or below. SSX 3 was known for its smooth animations and high framerate making everything flow like butter. What is the framerate in the game?

the inputs are done at 60. Rendering at 30 with motion blur

What does that mean?

#28 Posted by MethodMan008 (796 posts) -

@TheHBK: Check out the post above yours! :D

#29 Posted by Stackboy (446 posts) -

I wasn't paying any attention to frame rate. I was more focussed on the sick mad flips I was doing.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

@MethodMan008: Thanks broski.

Well in that case that is really dumb.

#31 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Kung_Fu_Viking: Hmm. But if the scene is only rendered at 30Hz, how is polling input at 60Hz exactly helpful? Wouldn't it still be eventually governed by the scene render (i.e the slower of the two and what you see on screen, which is what ultimately dictates the feel of the game), therefore rendering the 60Hz input polling useless?
#32 Posted by GangsterPanda (25 posts) -

Does the game really beg for more? From what I've played of the demo, the game simply felt incredibly smooth.

Which features should've been removed in order to make way for a 60FPS game? I can't think of any.

#33 Posted by benspyda (1895 posts) -

Anyone know why there is no PC version?

#34 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

@benspyda said:

Because pirates. And the PC is dead.

#35 Posted by benspyda (1895 posts) -

@easthill said:

@benspyda said:

$49.99 on steam and I'm sure it would have sold well.

#36 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@benspyda said:

@easthill said:

@benspyda said:

I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic. I'm guessing they'd say something like the game's not suitable for a PC market according to their research or some such silliness.
If I'm honest though, there was no reason to expect a PC release at all in the first place, since if memory serves, none of the previous SSX games showed up on PC either. Would have been nice to have PC version of course.
#37 Posted by benspyda (1895 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@benspyda said:

@easthill said:

@benspyda said:

I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic. I'm guessing they'd say something like the game's not suitable for a PC market according to their research or some such silliness. If I'm honest though, there was no reason to expect a PC release at all in the first place, since if memory serves, none of the previous SSX games showed up on PC either. Would have been nice to have PC version of course.

That's probably true. Doesn't really bother me that much, I don't have as much of an issue with 30fps like some do. Although I can image that game running in 60fps looking pretty fantastic.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (34598 posts) -

Can somebody explain why this is a bad thing?

#39 Edited by CptBedlam (4438 posts) -

@astromanz: I have zero problems with that. 30 fps are perfectly fine unless it's some fast twitch shooter on PC.

#40 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1619 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
@benspyda said:

@easthill said:

@benspyda said:

I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic. I'm guessing they'd say something like the game's not suitable for a PC market according to their research or some such silliness. If I'm honest though, there was no reason to expect a PC release at all in the first place, since if memory serves, none of the previous SSX games showed up on PC either. Would have been nice to have PC version of course.
That's what I figured, the lineage isn't really on the PC. Not to say they shouldn't release it on that platform (since ideally, all games should be on more platforms so more people can play them, but you know, budgets and all that) or anything like that. Plus, don't sports games usually sell like garbage on the PC? I know SSX isn't really a sports game, but maybe it was close enough to that wheelhouse that EA didn't think it was financially viable enough to develop a PC version. But who knows, I'm just guessing here.
#41 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@beard_of_zeus: I know FIFA and FIFA Manager games sell like hotcakes every year on PC (despite many of those being crappy PS2 ports) in regions other than the US. I'm not sure about EA's other sports titles. They did stop releasing some of their games after Peter Moore took over and were strictly focused on consoles, but they seemed to have gone back to releasing on PC since 2010.

In my mind, I can't imagine the porting process being so expensive as to not be worth it all. If Alan Wake recouped its PC port costs in merely 48 hours, and that was a clearly well done port with quite a bit of effort that seemed to be put into it, it doesn't make sense that a lot of these quick-buck ports EA would do can't recoup their costs as well. Sure they might not sell spectacularly, but profit is profit, isn't it?

Whatever the case, it is ultimately their choice and as I said, there was really no reason to believe a PC version was coming anyway.
#42 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

Ya your right. You should show them by not getting the game. Boy will they regret that mistake

#43 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

@SlasherMan: EA stopped releasing the bigger sports titles after 2007 if I remember correctly, because I remember Madden 08 and Tiger Woods 08 were the last of those series to be on PC.

Anyway, as someone who used to prefer 100hz and thought 60hz and 60 FPS looked slow/choppy and held out the longest before switching to an LCD monitor, I don't mind 30 FPS if the motion blur is done right. I only mind on games that require mouse input. This game, to me, runs fine.

#44 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian: You're right, but I distinctly remember some announcement from EA Sports about them going back into the PC market a couple of years back. I never really followed their releases. I realize now that what they may have been talking about was this. Heh.
#45 Posted by Stackboy (446 posts) -

I would totally buy on PC. Getting it first on 360 and then when it gets cheaper will probably double up on PS3 for kicks.

#46 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: ok but as the supposed 10% I feel a bit let down.

Mind you the non existent track variety is more problematic.

#47 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

I guess you gotta find something to be annoyed about, its the internet after all.

#48 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

FUCK YOU EA. FUCK YOU WHERE YOU LIVE.

No really though, who gives a fuck? I sure don't notice unless it's an FPS.

#49 Posted by CrazyBagMan (801 posts) -

I haven't even noticed, and when a game needs more than 30 I notice.

#50 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

Yea, no fuck this, this game would have rocked so much harder at 60 FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.