Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Xbox 360 - Demo - 30 FPS. Good God.

• 114 results
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By JasonR86

It was fine. I've recently replayed SSX 3 and the new SSX is way, way faster and more fluid.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By joshthebear

You could have fooled me. It's plenty smooth and more than anything plays great.

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By blogpostnogood

@joshthebear said:

You could have fooled me. It's plenty smooth and more than anything plays great.

I've noticed allot of people don't mind 30 FPS, or even notice the difference. Someone mentioned that playing on PC sort of warps your expectations of FPS, think I should just keep jamming the game until I devolve into being unable to tell the difference between a nerfed frame rate and hardware kicking the gfx's ass. Thanks guys, always fun under the GB bridge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@astromanz said:

@joshthebear said:

I've noticed allot of people don't mind 30 FPS, or even notice the difference. Someone mentioned that playing on PC sort of warps your expectations of FPS, think I should just keep jamming the game until I devolve into being unable to tell the difference between a nerfed frame rate and hardware kicking the gfx's ass. Thanks guys, always fun under the GB bridge.

I play 90% of my games on pc and still don't notice.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#55  Edited By isomeri

@SlasherMan said:

@benspyda said:

@easthill said:

@benspyda said:

Anyone know why there is no PC version?

Because pirates. And the PC is dead.

$49.99 on steam and I'm sure it would have sold well.

I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic. I'm guessing they'd say something like the game's not suitable for a PC market according to their research or some such silliness. If I'm honest though, there was no reason to expect a PC release at all in the first place, since if memory serves, none of the previous SSX games showed up on PC either. Would have been nice to have PC version of course.

There is no way you could play SSX on a keyboard and mouse. I mean you could, but it would not be an enjoyable experience. Of course anyone with a brain and 25 bucks would play it on a controller, but I think that development on the PC still has to consider mouse & keyboard as the primary input method.

But yes, I would still love for a 60fps PC version with increased particle effects on the snow.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By buft

@astromanz said:

Inputs are done at 9000, rendering is done at derp with motion herp.

Derp with motion herp sounds great, like real back of box stuff.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zaglis
    @CrazyBagMan said:

@astromanz said:

@joshthebear said:

I'm sorry for your loss.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CptBedlam

@astromanz said:

Yea, no fuck this, this game would have rocked so much harder at 60 FPS.

No

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@Cloudenvy said:

It's not really a game that requires 60.

OH HELL NO....

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy said:

I disagree. For a good sense of speed you need 60fps.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By CptBedlam

@Swoxx said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I disagree. For a good sense of speed you need 60fps.

The sense of speed is incredible in the new SSX. It feels way faster than the previous SSX games.

Hot Pursuit runs with 30 fps as well by the way and it feels incredibly fast, too.

60 fps are only really necessary in fast-paced twitch shooters such as Counterstrike, Q3A etc.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By swoxx

@CptBedlam: It still won't be as smooth. I haven't played those two games so I can't speak for them, but the racing games I've played on both console and PC have always had a better sense of speed on the PC (when it runs at higher fps that is)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By Humanity

@CptBedlam: SSX does some weird speed effects which aren't that apparent I think. My TV has this LED Motion Plus option that kinda simulates 60FPS that looks real nice in FPS games making them buttery smooth, but I never use it because it causes some horrible input lag. I can use it in Gears, and Syndicate worked fine aswell but like Battlefield 3 is a no go. Anyway I turned it on in SSX to test it out, and the game completely lost all sense of speed. It was a seriously strange effect as sometimes it felt like the scenery around me was stopping or something.

habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By habibyjohnson

I dont think half of you idiots know what 60 FPS actually means. And the otha half of you think you know what it means, think you prefer it, then wonder why you think Killzone and Resistance look miles better than Call of Duty.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@habibyjohnson said:

I dont think half of you idiots know what 60 FPS actually means. And the otha half of you think you know what it means, think you prefer it, then wonder why you think Killzone and Resistance look miles better than Call of Duty.

Spot on, chap. Have a cookie!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx said:

@CptBedlam: It still won't be as smooth. I haven't played those two games so I can't speak for them, but the racing games I've played on both console and PC have always had a better sense of speed on the PC (when it runs at higher fps that is)

But that's not really what either of us were arguing, I was saying that it's not a game that requires 60.

Of course it would be smoother at 60.

@Lunar_Aura: DON'T YOU DARE TURN HOLO AGAINST ME.

No Caption Provided
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy: No game requires 60 fps.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx: So then my point still stands.

Quite a handful of people probably would probably argue that twitch shooters need to be 60 frames though.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Hitchenson

Oh, consoles, you so silly.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy: I never claimed it required it either, I said it was needed for a better sense of speed.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx: But you also said you disagreed with me...Effectively meaning that you think it needs it since I said it doesn't.

Unless you want to word it in another way?

D_Justice91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By D_Justice91

It looks fine dude, and it's fun as all fuck, just enjoy the game. SHRED THE N-N-N-GNAR.

#pronunciation

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By musubi

More and more games that run sub 60 fps bother the absolute shit out of me. Playing Twisted Metal right now and SO SO SO happy Jaffe insisted that it run at 60.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By musubi

@Swoxx said:

Uh...yeah they do. I wouldn't want to play a Ninja Gaiden game that didn't play at 60fps. The action is so fast paced you NEED 60 to react to what is happening. Fractions of seconds are between you dodging attacks and eating it for a game over a good portion of the time.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CptBedlam

@Demoskinos said:

@Swoxx said:

Uh...yeah they do. I wouldn't want to play a Ninja Gaiden game that didn't play at 60fps. The action is so fast paced you NEED 60 to react to what is happening. Fractions of seconds are between you dodging attacks and eating it for a game over a good portion of the time.

NG isn't forgiving, SSX is. No, you don't need 60 fps for SSX. It controls and plays perfectly fine.

Also, I'm certain if some of you didn't read that SSX runs at 30 fps, you would have zero issues with it when playing the game.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By andymp

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I bet if it ran at 30 but they claimed it was 60, 90% of you clowns would be happy.

This is true. I think the game looks amazing and plays amazing. Good enough for me, I judge a game on its merits and if the demo is anything to go by, this game has a lot of merit.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx: But you also said you disagreed with me...Effectively meaning that you think it needs it since I said it doesn't.

Unless you want to word it in another way?

I obviously did not mean the game required it to be playable. I meant that it required it for a better sense of speed. Again I haven't played it, but pretty much every game will have a better sense of speed with a doubled framerate.

Blackhebrew2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By Blackhebrew2

The game seems to flow like no other for me, I didn't even notice it was 30, you'll be fine.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By napalm

@astromanz said:

MOAR FACEBOOK AND TWOOTOR INTEGRATION LESS FRAMES PER SECOND THE ANIME AVATAR INTERNET PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN GO GO GO GO /DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are doing such a stellar job at proving your well-founded points.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zaccheus

I don't give a fuck. The demo is amazing.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cloudenvy: Technically some shooters need 125-250 FPS. Like in the CoD series when you're playing the game at 125/250 FPS you shoot faster and can jump farther because of a bug in the version of idtech they based their engine on (even though this was patched out of idtech ages ago.)

Anyway, "smoothness" is, a lot of the time, subjective. Someone who plays games at 100/120FPS on a CRT at 100/120hz (or even a 120hz LCD panel) after a while will start to think 60hz is utter garbage and slow.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By musubi

@CptBedlam: I'm not really disagreeing with you. I was just posting a rebuttal to the fact that dude thought that NO games needed 60. Which I think thats a lie. SSX may not be one of those games haven't played it. But games that almost damn near require 60 do exist.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vortextk

1: Being upset a game doesn't run at 60 on a console in 2012 while being glued to a gaming website? Get over yourselves, it's not a big fat fucking surprise people.

2: Yeah 60 would be "better". So what? 1920x1080 would be better. 3x 1920 x 1080 would be better. 8x AA would be better. A holodeck rendering it all in graphics indistinguishable from reality while you surf down a fucking mountain that tricks your brain into thinking it was real, would be better. People work with what they have.

2: Yes it is possible to poll a controller at 60z while still actually running a game at 30fps. Digitalfoundry has documented this before and if you haven't read them on eurogamer, you should.

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By blogpostnogood

Thanks for the 2k views guys. Appreciated.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By umdesch4

@Vortextk said:

1: Being upset a game doesn't run at 60 on a console in 2012

Forgetting everything else in this discussion, I have to say that yes...if you told me back 10 years ago when we were running games on a PC in 1280x1024 at just over 100 frames/sec* that in 2012 there would be games on current consoles coming out that couldn't do 60 FPS...I would have been surprised and somewhat bemused.

*Radeon 9700 PRO, circa 2002, running Doom 3 Demo for example.

PS. But lest I be totally misconstrued, I do think that SSX looks and feels fine to me, regardless of framerate limitations.

pyide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By pyide

Honestly, it is a bit of a letdown after the EA devs kept comparing it to Burnout on snow in the pre-release media, a series which is known for being 60 FPS while still looking great and having a fantastic sense of speed. SSX just doesn't compare to the feeling those games can provide, even when going as fast as you possibly can in the demo. They try to fake it with the motion blur but it's just not the same.

It's also a bummer coming off of SSX3 which was 60. I don't quite understand why the new one is capped at 30, the game really doesn't look that impressive or demanding for a 2012 release. Don't games late in a console's life cycle generally look better or run faster because the hardware has long been mastered? I think it's actually rather ugly much of the time because of the blurriness, but I am used to sharp PC games it's been a while since I've played something new on the console. Others have said that's FXAA at work and that's probably true, notoriously the worst form of anti-aliasing there is. Does a better job of blurring the screen as a post-process filter than it does in decreasing jaggies. Tangential rant aside, it's still fine and playable but it does hurt my eyes after a while.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I had a good time with the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaglis said:

@CrazyBagMan said:

@astromanz said:

@joshthebear said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Don't be sorry for me. I'm happier for not being an asshole who requires 60fps even when it doesn't matter.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#89  Edited By Humanity

You can clearly tell when something runs at 30 compared to 60FPS (just go load up RAGE you'll notice it) and as much as I'd like all games to run 60 I generally haven't played on PC for so long that I don't care anymore. Arguing for it is pointless because YAH it would be great if they could all run 60, and yah it sucks modern consoles are usually locked to 30 or less. Thats just how things are and until new consoles come out theres no point in even bringing it up. I used to be a HUGE pc gamer back in the day. I was one of those people who said they can't imagine seriously playing an FPS with a controller. I haven't touched a PC game in years now, I play a ton of FPS games on the 360, I got used to it, whatever. I'm willingly sacrificing all PC perks for that one sweet console perk of knowing my game will always work when I put it in the system and if it doesn't then it's a million people wide case and not just me mailing tech support with my esoteric ass pc setup and getting that awesome (have you updated your drivers?) support e-mail back.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By zaglis
    @CrazyBagMan said:

@zaglis said:

@CrazyBagMan said:

@astromanz said:

@joshthebear said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Don't be sorry for me. I'm happier for not being an asshole who requires 60fps even when it doesn't matter.

At least I'm not a moron who can't see and feel the difference between 30 or 60 FPS. Bwhaha!
    bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By bunnymud

I don't even know what that all means

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BlatantNinja23

couldnt even tell it was at 30

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By kindgineer

@astromanz said:

Hoping the 720 / next gen will have backwards compatibility. This hardware is starting to really do a disservice to the hard work people put into their games. Anyways, MOAR FACEBOOK AND TWOOTOR INTEGRATION LESS FRAMES PER SECOND THE ANIME AVATAR INTERNET PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN GO GO GO GO /DUBSTEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would play a Facebook game if it had dubstep.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#94  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@ccampb89: Can I interest you in a round of Wubs with Friends?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By John1912

Man I hate these stupid FPS posts. I swear the avg person who whines about FPS doesnt even know what the fuck they are talking about. They prob see the game stutter for a sec do to a problem in the code, or think some poor animation relates to the frames per second.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By kindgineer

@John1912 said:

Man I hate these stupid FPS posts. I swear the avg person who whines about FPS doesnt even know what the fuck they are talking about. They prob see the game stutter for a sec do to a problem in the code, or think some poor animation relates to the frames per second.

I hate posters who cannot tell the absolute difference in 30 to 60fps. Fuck games that are in 30 fps, and no one can tell me different. Then again, this is why I am a PC guy.

Edit: Not pointing you out as one of those John, just used you as my segway :D

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By andrew2696

So the demo was fun right? I mean fun is important. Apparently 60fps would make it more fun but for what it is I loved it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#98  Edited By benspyda

In Soviet Russia 30 FPS complains about you.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mrcraggle

#firstworldproblems

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By bunnymud

It was running at 60 FPS...then it took an arr....

/suicide

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.