Double Fine's Next Downloadable Game Announced

• 70 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The next Double Fine downloadable is a fine looking puzzle title called Stacking. It's not quite Tetris, though, oddly enough, there is a Russian twist to it. In the game, you'll control young Charlie Blackmore, the world's smallest nesting or Matryoshka doll. 

Charlie is on a quest to bring his family back together after an industrialist rips them apart, and the only way he'll be able to do so is by taking advantage of his stature. Enter the main gameplay mechanic: stealth-stacking into other dolls in order to acquire skill sets that'll help Charlie reach his goal.

Of course, the catch is that the bigger the doll Charlie jumps into, the bigger the next doll that he wants to stack needs to be. See? It's a puzzle game.

There's still a lot of stuff we don't know about Stacking, which is to be expected since the game won't debut on Xbox Live Arcade and PSN until Spring 2011. But here's a little something-something to hold on to until marketing ramps up: Double Fine is programming in multiple solutions to each puzzle you'll come across, and will toss out in-game rewards for being creative. I wonder if the guy in the video got anything special for seducing that guard?

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The next Double Fine downloadable is a fine looking puzzle title called Stacking. It's not quite Tetris, though, oddly enough, there is a Russian twist to it. In the game, you'll control young Charlie Blackmore, the world's smallest nesting or Matryoshka doll. 

Charlie is on a quest to bring his family back together after an industrialist rips them apart, and the only way he'll be able to do so is by taking advantage of his stature. Enter the main gameplay mechanic: stealth-stacking into other dolls in order to acquire skill sets that'll help Charlie reach his goal.

Of course, the catch is that the bigger the doll Charlie jumps into, the bigger the next doll that he wants to stack needs to be. See? It's a puzzle game.

There's still a lot of stuff we don't know about Stacking, which is to be expected since the game won't debut on Xbox Live Arcade and PSN until Spring 2011. But here's a little something-something to hold on to until marketing ramps up: Double Fine is programming in multiple solutions to each puzzle you'll come across, and will toss out in-game rewards for being creative. I wonder if the guy in the video got anything special for seducing that guard?

#2 Edited by Hashbrowns (650 posts) -

I'm really thrilled to see Double Fine finding an appropriate niche for their games.  I loved Psychonauts but Brutal Legend just did nothing for me.  The freedom of creative decision in downloadable games is a perfect fit for them.
#3 Edited by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

In Soviet Russia Matryoshka stacks you.

#4 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

unique

#5 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

WTF

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@dr_pineapple said:
" WTF "
I had the same reaction in a good way though :P
#7 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

So... they're matryoshkas...
but it looks like they're in... England?
I'm confused.

#8 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Neat looking game. Like to see Double Fine succeed. Let us not speak of Brutal Legend ever again. I forgive you.

#9 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Inception!

#10 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

I wanna be inside you!

sorry Sweep, I couldn't resist.

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Looks fun.

#12 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Color me semi-excited, it has the potential to be really great and it's definitely unique.

#13 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

This looks like... something. 
I'm not sure what it is, but I'm intrigued.

#14 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

Looks awesome. Hope its as good as Costume Quest.

#15 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

Really digging the music in the trailer. I'm excited for this. I think the downloadable games method is working well for Double Fine.

#16 Edited by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

Press A to Flatulate?

Sold.

#17 Posted by Daveyo520 (6751 posts) -

That one guy looks like this Carl nesting doll 
  http://www.adultswimshop.com/cat/Aqua-Teen-Hunger-Force/Aqua-Teen-Hunger-Force-Carl-Nesting-Doll.html

#18 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

That looks awesome, day one. 
#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8235 posts) -

AMAZING

#20 Posted by NowSayPillow (183 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" That looks awesome, day one.  "
#21 Edited by VibratingDonkey (877 posts) -
@Hashbrowns said:

" I'm really thrilled to see Double Fine finding an appropriate niche for their games.  I loved Psychonauts but Brutal Legend just did nothing for me.  The freedom of creative decision in downloadable games is a perfect fit for them. "

Yes. And it means more Double Fine games faster. So it's doubly fine. 
#22 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

This would be 'on my radar' if it were any other developer. Since it's DoubleFine, I'm instead eagerly anticipating it.

#23 Posted by Seraphim84 (409 posts) -

Ruined by industralists?  Russian?

This confirms it.  This game's the missing story to link Bioshock and Singularity's stories.

#24 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Another cool premise from double fine

#25 Posted by thealexray (66 posts) -

Dear Doublefine, 

Please take us back, we promise we'll be good this time. 

Love, 
PC Gamers

#26 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

Time to buy people

#27 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

As I said in the other thread, this looks amazing.

#28 Posted by regularassmilk (1412 posts) -

Dude, What.

#29 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Another game with awesome art that will probably be ruined by subpar gameplay!

Woooo wooo all aboard the Double Fine Express.

#30 Posted by Joker369 (877 posts) -

cool, I loved costume quest, so im open to anything double fine has to offer

#31 Posted by mcdrew77 (115 posts) -

I am very intrigued by the look of this game.

#32 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

Finally, an excuse to start a Matryoshka page!

#33 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

Comedy and unique gameplay, sold!

#34 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Not really sure about that.

#35 Posted by tourgen (4499 posts) -

could be fun?  unique enough to check out at least

#36 Posted by Zachariahus (131 posts) -

This looks goddamned ADORABLE!

#37 Posted by FoxMulder (1691 posts) -

lol what the helll....looks awesome 

#38 Posted by JeffTheBadger (21 posts) -

So excited for this! Gotta love Double Fine

#39 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

This reminds me of the game Messiah.

#40 Posted by newblacknoise (29 posts) -

Yep. This looks good enough to eat. Or at least buy.

#41 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

This seems creepy & awesome. I want to play it!

#42 Posted by shinluis (428 posts) -
@Seraphim84 said:
" Ruined by industralists?  Russian?  This confirms it.  This game's the missing story to link Bioshock and Singularity's stories. "
THIS
#43 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@demontium said:
" Time to buy people "
Slavery is illegal.
#44 Posted by dudeglove (7841 posts) -
Russian matroshka-related game?

#45 Posted by Wandering_Idiot (138 posts) -

Man, I really love the music in that trailer.  It also reminds me, through vague association, that I still need to buy P.B. Winterbottom.

#46 Edited by Arkanti (255 posts) -
@demontium said:

" Time to buy people "

Duder, slavery isn't cool

Edit: Damn you JeffGoldblum! I'm glad your movie career died, you hear me? GLAD!
#47 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

Well, that was certainly weird. I like weirdness!

#48 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

AWESOME. 

#49 Posted by JesseCherry (63 posts) -

Looks really interesting, and they don't have to stretch the concept to 20 hours. Great choice on the downloadable games.

#50 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @demontium said:
" Time to buy people "
Slavery is illegal. "
I... don't get it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.