Surely one of the most unique and creative games ever?

#1 Edited by 1p (760 posts) -

It's crazy. I almost can't believe it exists. Am i dreaming, guys?

Did 100% the game today. I love the humor, and all the cool ways to solve the puzzles. I actually love almost everything about this game. If it wasn't for the occasionally bad framerate, i would consider it flawless.

#2 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I thought the framerate was intentional, to make it look like stop motion.

#3 Edited by 1p (760 posts) -
@ryanwho:
During cutscenes, yes. But especially in the later levels, it becomes an obvious performance issue.
#4 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

Have you played Grim Fandango?

#5 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Have you played Grim Fandango? "
#6 Edited by 1p (760 posts) -
@Jimbo:

@TheDudeOfGaming:

Yes i have. That was years ago and i don't remember a lot about it, though. Have been meaning to go back. It also qualifies!

#7 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Yes, and maybe the best game of 2011. We'll see how Uncharted or The Last Guardian turns out.

#8 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
" Yes, and maybe the best game of 2011. We'll see how Uncharted or The Last Guardian turns out. "
That may be my most anticipated game of the year.
#9 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

Simply amazing. I can't wait to get home and play some more. Simply beautiful!

#10 Posted by bkbroiler (1621 posts) -

Tim Schafer really knows how to make completely different out-there games, concept-wise. When those concepts align with fun gameplay, it is remarkable. 

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Have you played Grim Fandango? "
I have yet to find a good Let's Play of it (I don't like playing games on my crap laptop, even if they're old)
#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -
@smitty86 said:
" @Grissefar said:
" Yes, and maybe the best game of 2011. We'll see how Uncharted or The Last Guardian turns out. "
That may be my most anticipated game of the year. "
Ooh that's this year? Things just keep getting better and better! 
 
I really need to play this game though, it looks great, and the gameplay seems really fun. I love games that offer multiple solutions to problems. 
 
About how many levels are there, and generally how many puzzles per level?
#14 Posted by bkbroiler (1621 posts) -

You're right, I shouldn't give Schafer sole credit. That's pretty stupid of me. Everyone at Double Fine is damn talented. 

#15 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

I had so much fun playing this, didn't really want it to end.  
 
Some of the puzzles were a little bit easy though as a lot of the characters you need would be just randomly standing really close to the puzzle when earlier they were far away.  
 
Double Fine should stick to these smaller games it suits them a lot better. 

#16 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I couldn't agree more, I loved it. Playing it again and going to try and S rank it. 
#17 Posted by Ramboknife (114 posts) -

Any word on if they said it's coming to Steam at all?

#18 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -
@Ramboknife said:
" Any word on if they said it's coming to Steam at all? "
publisher doesn't want to pony up the money for a PC version, so probably not
#19 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @Ramboknife said:
" Any word on if they said it's coming to Steam at all? "
publisher doesn't want to pony up the money for a PC version, so probably not "
I don't believe that at all. They said that about Brutal Legend and then EA put Deathspank 1 & 2 and Shank on Steam. THQ also put Darksiders on Steam which isn't guaranteed sales given the genre. Sounds like Double Fine is just looking for an excuse
#20 Posted by august (3836 posts) -
@zoner said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Ramboknife said:
" Any word on if they said it's coming to Steam at all? "
publisher doesn't want to pony up the money for a PC version, so probably not "
I don't believe that at all. They said that about Brutal Legend and then EA put Deathspank 1 & 2 and Shank on Steam. THQ also put Darksiders on Steam which isn't guaranteed sales given the genre. Sounds like Double Fine is just looking for an excuse "
I'm vaguely interested in what you think the real reason is, then.
#21 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@august said:
" @zoner said:
" @Laketown said:
" @Ramboknife said:
" Any word on if they said it's coming to Steam at all? "
publisher doesn't want to pony up the money for a PC version, so probably not "
I don't believe that at all. They said that about Brutal Legend and then EA put Deathspank 1 & 2 and Shank on Steam. THQ also put Darksiders on Steam which isn't guaranteed sales given the genre. Sounds like Double Fine is just looking for an excuse "
I'm vaguely interested in what you think the real reason is, then. "
No clue. Maybe Double Fine doesn't think it's worth the effort? I can think of VERY few games THQ doesn't put a pc port out for at one point or another.
#22 Edited by Trebz (487 posts) -

I'm a couple hours in so far and while it's not their best-written game (that honor still goes to Psychonauts), it's their best venture in gameplay. I love the "explore all of your options" element of the objectives. And it's probably the most original concept of the year unless someone makes a dating simulator about silverware or something.

#23 Posted by BoringK (262 posts) -
#24 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I just finished it and loved everything about it. It could have been a little longer though, but other than that it was perfect.

#25 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

I love this game, really hope that more content is added.

Got 100% (ingame) a few days ago and I think I have only ever done that for one other game.

#26 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

The final boss battle is nothing short of brilliance. 
And the cutscene preluding to it is amazing.
 
Only thing ticking me off is that my achievement bugged so I have to do the game all over to get all of those hi-jinks in the airship again.
List says 10/10 but it's saying 9/10 in the summary.

#27 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Don't call me Shirley. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.