Rumor: GSC Game World Closes Shop, All Development of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Ceases

• 155 results
Posted by Alex (1933 posts) -

When it was announced last August, few were surprised by the unveiling of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sequel. After all, GSC Game World's open-world first-person shooter managed to sell around four million copies worldwide, all but ensuring the franchise's continuation. Now, all of the sudden, any hope one might have had for more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks as though it has been dashed.

Short of some kind of miracle, this is looking like the end of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

There are a variety of conflicting reports appearing all over right now, but the gist of them amounts to this: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 development has completely ceased, and that GSC Game World will in fact be closing its doors.

The original news report on the subject, which appeared on Ukranian news site Ukranews, posited multiple theories as to the developer's closure. One particularly strange one involved Ukranian law enforcement expressing an "interest" in the company, whereas another simply stated that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 development had not been going particularly well, and that company founder Sergei Grigorovich had simply had enough.

Initially that report was denied by the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. twitter page, but that denial has since been deleted. RockPaperShotgun reached out to GSC Game World, and merely got a "Sorry, no comments at this point" response.

Several outlets have cited comments from a Twitter user named Dmitri Bourkovski as confirmation that the studio has closed, but Bourkovski appears to have no direct connection to GSC Games World, and even says as much elsewhere in his Twitter feed.

We'll update this story if any additional details leak out, but as of right now, it's all looking pretty dire.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1933 posts) -

When it was announced last August, few were surprised by the unveiling of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sequel. After all, GSC Game World's open-world first-person shooter managed to sell around four million copies worldwide, all but ensuring the franchise's continuation. Now, all of the sudden, any hope one might have had for more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks as though it has been dashed.

Short of some kind of miracle, this is looking like the end of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

There are a variety of conflicting reports appearing all over right now, but the gist of them amounts to this: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 development has completely ceased, and that GSC Game World will in fact be closing its doors.

The original news report on the subject, which appeared on Ukranian news site Ukranews, posited multiple theories as to the developer's closure. One particularly strange one involved Ukranian law enforcement expressing an "interest" in the company, whereas another simply stated that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 development had not been going particularly well, and that company founder Sergei Grigorovich had simply had enough.

Initially that report was denied by the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. twitter page, but that denial has since been deleted. RockPaperShotgun reached out to GSC Game World, and merely got a "Sorry, no comments at this point" response.

Several outlets have cited comments from a Twitter user named Dmitri Bourkovski as confirmation that the studio has closed, but Bourkovski appears to have no direct connection to GSC Games World, and even says as much elsewhere in his Twitter feed.

We'll update this story if any additional details leak out, but as of right now, it's all looking pretty dire.

Staff
#2 Edited by Sankis (64 posts) -

All the good GSC guys left and made Metro 2033 anyway.

Really weird set of rumors, though, but GSC was never one for details.

#3 Posted by bobdude1234 (20 posts) -

Sucks if this is true :(

#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -

I hate all of humanity!

@Sankis said:

All the good GSC guys left and made Metro 2033 anyway.

Really weird set of rumors, though, but GSC was never one for details.

Too bad Metro eats shit and doesn't have any of the redeemable elements of the Stalker franchise.
#5 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

If this is true, this is the worst news. STALKER is a god damn achievement. I'd love to see what was next from that team.

#6 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4237 posts) -

nooooooooooooooooo

#7 Posted by Soviet666 (287 posts) -

PR stunt.

#8 Posted by wafflesrok (17 posts) -

My eyes are raining

#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

That's a shame.

#10 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

And MW3 continues to sell millions of copies.
This is fucked up world.

#11 Posted by therealminime (232 posts) -

I don't want to see Dave's face when he finds out, that is going to be a sad man. I hope it is not true.

#12 Posted by catdog (5 posts) -

So sad=(

#13 Posted by Zohar (116 posts) -

Guess I'll just have to wait for fallout 4 to get my open world fps fix. :{

#14 Posted by Applederp (116 posts) -

This can't be right. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is pretty much the Halo of the East.

Oh well, though. We still have a great S.T.A.L.K.E.R. modding community

#15 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

Goddamn it....

I really don't want this to be true...

#16 Posted by big_jon (5707 posts) -

I know a fair few people will be sad about this.

#17 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

This shit SUCKS EGGS.

I loved Call of Pripyat! IT WAS STABLE! THEY FINALLY CRACKED THE FORMULA GOD DAMN IT

#18 Posted by Lightdud (56 posts) -

@mm665: Agreed

#19 Posted by arch4non (442 posts) -

My whole day is ruined. The STALKER series was one of my favorites. Truly unique in this world of brown and bloom elite military "doodz."

#20 Posted by Animasta (14632 posts) -

I've heard from someone that GSC is being investigated for tax fraud, due to their CEO skimming profits.

#21 Edited by Bistromath (583 posts) -

If you pirated a STALKER game, Fuck You.

#22 Edited by MrKlorox (11197 posts) -
@Zohar said:

Guess I'll just have to wait for fallout 4 to get my open world fps fix. :{

As if Bethesda would offer even a fraction of similarity to the deep gunplay mechanics of the Stalker series. It lies somewhere between Red Orchestra and Battlefield 3 right now, and Metro is too confined and corridor'd to give a true sense of how the physics are and provide an appreciation for how they work. RIP STALKER. Your influence will be remembered by fans, and buried by competing publishers. Far Cry 2, Borderlands, Dead Island, you are imitators and failures. Go fuck yourselves.
#23 Posted by lordofultima (6204 posts) -

Damn, I still reinstall STALKER sometimes and give it a whirl, the game was so open and crazy. That's a darn shame.

#24 Posted by Llama (180 posts) -

@hills: why would you? you can pick the whole series up on steam for a nickel

#25 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

Such is life in the Zone.

#26 Posted by Skytylz (4023 posts) -

I need to play more Stalker, it was great last time I played. I really don't know why I stopped playing.

#27 Posted by RuthLoose (773 posts) -

'Mo Russian hookers 'Mo problems.

#28 Posted by CodeFire (180 posts) -

What!!?!? Noooooo!!! :C

#29 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

WHAT!?

#30 Posted by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

I find this to be a real fucking giant bummer. STALKER 2 was one of my most anticipated games.

Generic FPS #23 gets money up its ass even without asking while less generic FPS games like STALKER get shut down. Oh this wonderful world.

#31 Posted by Guyzea (814 posts) -

NO FUCKING WAY!! DO SOMETHING GABE NEWELL!!! >:( :(

#32 Posted by Falk (85 posts) -

One of my favourite franchises. Very sad if this proves true.

#33 Posted by rts375 (56 posts) -

Well, this sucks. Looks like we'll just be getting more linear shooters filled with quick time events.

#34 Posted by CodeFire (180 posts) -

One of the only companies that knew how to make great looking metal cases for their games...

Damnit...

#35 Posted by Humanity (8706 posts) -

Not very surprising that a Eastern European developed game that was as riddled with bugs as with innovative new ideas has died off. I was actually surprised they lasted as long as they did.

#36 Posted by Terranova (581 posts) -

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, was really looking forward to Stalker 2 I Loved the first even more so with the 2009 complete mod, sad day indeed another small but great dev disappears.

#37 Posted by RetroVirus (1455 posts) -

This sucks, I really liked Shadow of Chernobyl.

#38 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

That would suck. Especially if the bit about law enforcement is true, although it technically wouldn't be a surprise. If this is true, someone should at least pick it up, preferably the Metro 2033 guys.

#39 Posted by whylessness (77 posts) -

mods

#40 Posted by AssInAss (2521 posts) -

Nooooo! Stalker was the most interesting and innovative FPS in this past decade. The way it did non-scripting and AI routines in open world games, paved the way for RDR's animals, Skyrim's dragons, heck even Bioshock's big daddies where shit happened without your involvement.

#41 Posted by HyperionXR (272 posts) -

A sad day indeed. Can't say I didn't support 'em. Bought all 3 games, plus imported the wacky european collectors editions.

#42 Posted by filtersweep (16 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#43 Posted by agemyth (92 posts) -

No!! When I told you to "Get out of here, STALKER." I didn't mean this!

Not like this.

#44 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

Damn that is horrible news.

#45 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Get out of here GSC.

#46 Posted by Skittlenizzle (69 posts) -

This is really depressing. =[

#47 Posted by Superfriend (1517 posts) -

Great.. now everything is going to shit. I blame the Russian election. Yeah right, you heard me, Mr. Putin. Stop messing with Ukranian games you piece of crap!

Seriously though, this is bad news. I kinda liked Stalker in concept and was hoping for an improved sequel. Sad day :(

#48 Posted by Aas (603 posts) -

Get out of here, bad news!

#49 Edited by Cyber5 (1 posts) -

This better all be some kind of misunderstanding. I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (even Clear Sky). :C

#50 Posted by PXAbstraction (311 posts) -

It's been confirmed by a rep from 1C. Apparently releasing STALKER 2 on PC was not going to make them enough money to turn a profit and their attempts to get a deal to publish it on consoles all fell through. They decided to close up shop before running out of money and apparently their staff will be paid for a couple of months.

This sucks. At the rate AAA developers and publishers are going under (it was rumoured yesterday that THQ will be out of money by the end of next year and every other publisher that isn't Activision is losing money), there will be no one left to make those kinds of games soon. I don't want a world of iOS and social crap but it appears that it's become impossible to turn a profit making AAA games anymore and with the new consoles, costs will go up even more. Again, this sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.