Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl

Game » consists of 2 releases. Coming Sep 05, 2024

The formerly-cancelled sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 announced, and its going multi-platform

• 74 results
    bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler
      http://www.gsc-game.com/

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in development, officially 

GSC Game World announces S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - the official sequel to best-selling game series - in development now. A completely new multi-platform technology developed by GSC will make the core of the game.

"After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us" - said Sergiy Grygorovych, CEO of GSC Game World.

The game is scheduled for release in 2012.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

Add something to your post this is spam.

But ,this is awesome news

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz

Eff... 

STALKER is not a multi-platform game in my mind. That game has such a broad scope, and has so many complex systems, that I can't see it working on consoles without being simplified to an enormous degree.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

So S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is going to be dumbed down? Huh.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Mattalorian

Unfortunate news... I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but making it multiplatform will compromise what that game is about. Some games need to stay on PC, developers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This scares me.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noodlearms

FUCK. YES.  

No Caption Provided
    Still, buying for PC.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By DukeTogo

If Metro 2033 can be on consoles, Stalker can, since Metro was far more obtuse with the whole bullets as currency and item decay.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By PufferFiz

well I won't say it is going multi just yet, sounds like they are working on a new multiplat engine. So whether it is going to get ported or what not I don't think we can say that just yet.

however if they dumb is down even in the slightest I will be pissed.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By OmegaPirate

Hitman console rage in 3...2.....1....

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By bacongames

No Caption Provided
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was about time they made a new engine because it was getting old.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @OmegaPirate said:
    "Hitman console rage in 3...2.....1.... "

You know me too well. However they can have it, since it's a fustrating game. They will know how it feels like to play the game a bit, then don't play it for a year, then play it again and really like the game.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @DukeTogo said:

" If Metro 2033 can be on consoles, Stalker can, since Metro was far more obtuse with the whole bullets as currency and item decay. "

Nope, try again. STALKER is way more complex than Metro and anyone who says otherwise hasn't played both games enough.

This is sad news.  Either they compromise the interface on PC to make it work on consoles, therefore dumbing the game down, or they keep the interface the same and piss off all the console gamers and reviewers.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scarace360

By multiplatform do they mean mac pc?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I think this is good news. Hopefully on top of their to-do list is fixing the fucking shooting mechanics. 

Seriously, STALKER was a fantastic game except for the whole shooting your enemies part. It could've been much more responsive.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @KingWilly said:
    " I think this is good news. Hopefully on top of their to-do list is fixing the fucking shooting mechanics.  Seriously, STALKER was a fantastic game except for the whole shooting your enemies part. It could've been much more responsive. "
    How much did you play?  I got frustrated with the shooting mechanics my first time through as well and stopped playing before I got out of the first area, but going back to it again I realized the shooting mechanics become really great with better weapons.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JP_Russell

No surprise there.  The only surprise in this day and age would be if a big budget FPS was announced that wasn't multiplatform.  

There's no question in my mind there will be some diluting of the game design from going multiplatform, the only question is how much.  Hopefully it will be kept to a minimum a la Bad Company 2 at the very least.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Animasta

oh man this is great news, and even though I'm a PC gamer, I do think this could work on consoles; the only thing from stalker 1 that doesn't work is the inventory. oh and leaning I suppose, but I dunno why you'd want to lean in the first games anyway.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " I think this is good news. Hopefully on top of their to-do list is fixing the fucking shooting mechanics.  Seriously, STALKER was a fantastic game except for the whole shooting your enemies part. It could've been much more responsive. "
    How much did you play?  I got frustrated with the shooting mechanics my first time through as well and stopped playing before I got out of the first area, but going back to it again I realized the shooting mechanics become really great with better weapons. "
    When I last played, I was on my way out of the first area and then it crashed. I reloaded and it crashed again. I checked for patches, found it, patched it, and then it erased all my saves. 

I had twenty hours invested at that point, and had absolutely no desire to play through it again.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

As soon as they get their engine to stop crashing they decide to make a new one to keep the crash-train rolling? Great. 

I can't see this going multiplatform as a good thing, S.T.A.L.K.E.R thrived as a very complex and difficult game and dumbing it down to fit in with the console releases won't be good for it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Eff... 

STALKER is not a multi-platform game in my mind. That game has such a broad scope, and has so many complex systems, that I can't see it working on consoles without being simplified to an enormous degree. "
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @KingWilly: Just keep using single shots over and over and don't go full auto, call of duty style. You save bullets that way and your accurate.  

However I don't know how console gamers are going to take this game, since most fps on consoles you can full auto and hit everything. It's going to be too difficult for them, it's like letting them play counter strike source, dying everytime.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Binman88

Great news. I have faith in GSC to keep the PC version as complex and "PC" as it has been - if anything, they may be forced to streamline a few elements for the better, which is a good thing in my book.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Impossibilium
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @DukeTogo said:
    " If Metro 2033 can be on consoles, Stalker can, since Metro was far more obtuse with the whole bullets as currency and item decay. "
    Nope, try again. STALKER is way more complex than Metro and if anyone who says otherwise hasn't played both games enough.  This is sad news.  Either they compromise the interface on PC to make it work on consoles, therefore dumbing the game down, or they keep the interface the same and piss off all the console gamers and reviewers. "

Yup. We'll be lucky if they keep Lean as a control option. Forget the bleeding, rad count and hunger mechanics.

This also means the dev team has more work to do and as much as PC gamers love STALKER we all know how hard it is for them now to mash out the bugs post-release.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JP_Russell
    @KingWilly said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    How much did you play?  I got frustrated with the shooting mechanics my first time through as well and stopped playing before I got out of the first area, but going back to it again I realized the shooting mechanics become really great with better weapons. "
    When I last played, I was on my way out of the first area and then it crashed. I reloaded and it crashed again. I checked for patches, found it, patched it, and then it erased all my saves.  I had twenty hours invested at that point, and had absolutely no desire to play through it again. "

It took you 20 hours to get out of the Cordon?  I'm a very laidback player who takes his time a lot, myself, and I don't even know how that's possible. 
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @KingWilly: Just keep using single shots over and over and don't go full auto, call of duty style. You save bullets that way and your accurate.    However I don't know how console gamers are going to take this game, since most fps on consoles you can full auto and hit everything. It's going to be too difficult for them, it's like letting them play counter strike source, dying everytime.   "

I figured that part out. Maybe I'm just used to playing shooters on consoles, but I do enjoy the PC shooter every now and again. My major gripe I suppose was the enemy's health. Basically I would sneak up on a few trench-coat wearing dudes and use both barrels of the sawn off on their backs, and they'd STILL be alive. 

That's just... no. 

That being said, the game was very good (and very buggy). I can't speak to it being "console-ized" like so many PC gamers fear, but if they do go multi-platform, I imagine it'll play a bit like Metro 2033. I heard it performed very well on consoles in terms of mechanics. 

Wouldn't know first hand, because I played the PC version. =/
    jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jos1ah

For me this is great news. I've wanted to play this game for a while, but my laptop has an integrated graphics card and thus couldn't do it justice. 
    I'm sure the PC version will still be what fans expect and as long as any console games are a labor of love it should be worthwhile.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Diamond

I can't wait until the fanboys are so used to this sort of news that they don't have to make idiotic comments with each and every one of these announcements.

Anyways, hopefully this means the developers refine their product on all platforms.  I don't think Metro 2033 was a terribly large success on 360 and PS3, so they'll have to decide how they want to spend their development money.  Hopefully they realize they don't have to compromise gameplay mechanics, but STALKER could use a lot of gameplay changes overall anyways.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By captain_clayman

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @JP_Russell said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    When I last played, I was on my way out of the first area and then it crashed. I reloaded and it crashed again. I checked for patches, found it, patched it, and then it erased all my saves.  I had twenty hours invested at that point, and had absolutely no desire to play through it again. "

It took you 20 hours to get out of the Cordon?  I'm a very laidback player who takes his time a lot, myself, and I don't even know how that's possible.  "
    That was the first map? The one I was on before the crash-fest involved a mission in the sewers where this psychic mutant kept trying to kill me. 

It's also been a couple years since I played STALKER, so I could be getting my zones confused.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Never was a fan of the other games, the shooting felt inacurate and the game as a whole cumbersome. Unless the sequel is done radically different then it'll be a pass.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

Eh... I should have expected multiplatformization. I had such high hopes for Stalker 2. Let's hope they stick as close to the original Stalker design notes as possible, regardless.

@KingWilly: I recommend Call of Pripyat. It's the best (and most playable) STALKER by far. I've only had one single crash in it out of the 70+ hours I spent in it.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JP_Russell
    @KingWilly said:
    " @JP_Russell said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    " @KingWilly said:

It took you 20 hours to get out of the Cordon?  I'm a very laidback player who takes his time a lot, myself, and I don't even know how that's possible.  "
    That was the first map? The one I was on before the crash-fest involved a mission in the sewers where this psychic mutant kept trying to kill me.  It's also been a couple years since I played STALKER, so I could be getting my zones confused. "

Ah, okay.  That's like the third zone you go into.  Still only about a sixth or fifth of the way through the game, though.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bionicicide

They need to streamline that game for me to be interested.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Eff... 

STALKER is not a multi-platform game in my mind. That game has such a broad scope, and has so many complex systems, that I can't see it working on consoles without being simplified to an enormous degree. "
    thiiiiiissssssssssss a thousand times this. also they dont know the first part of the story so they are going have to find some way to bring them into the loop.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Diamond said:

" I can't wait until the fanboys are so used to this sort of news that they don't have to make idiotic comments with each and every one of these announcements. 

Well I'm sorry that the track-record of "PC exclusive going multiplatform" has been less than good in the past.   The PC is a very different beast from consoles, so taking something specifically made for it and making it work on other platforms too often leads to losing a lot of what made PC gamers love it in the first place.  Instead of taking advantage of our platform, developers forgo that and force us into the limitations of lesser hardware with sub-par graphics, less than ideal interfaces, little to no mod support, and a lack of options overall.

You're not a PC gamer, so you wouldn't understand.  It's very different from console gaming, and our platform in too often underutilized.  Imagine if all the 360 and PS3 games you play now were developed with the Wii as the lead platform; a bit of an extreme analogy, but just trying to get the point across.

The STALKER series is loved by PC gamers because it has very deep and complex mechanics, and those are things that have traditionally been downsized when moving to a multiplatform model.  So, yeah, sorry that a lot of people like this game and don't want to see it become worse in any way.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
    @yinstarrunner: Today I'm just a gamer, and I game on PC as well as consoles.  I've pretty much always been that way since I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy in the early 90's.  The point of distinction is I'm not a fanboy with lots of misconceptions about what this announcement really means.  You might say I understand this better than you.  I understand this sort of announcement stirs a lot of fear in a lot of people, but those people fail to see the positives as well.

The biggest issue I see brought up is always graphics.  Sure, good graphics are nice, but the only limitations for a game like STALKER on consoles will be the graphics.  There's no reason to change the depth of the gameplay mechanics, and it's because of perverted concepts of what console or PC gamers want that causes some of those issues.

Sure some other developers really butcher the PC version, but many of those games wouldn't have been made at all if it weren't for the console versions.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By No0b0rAmA

First Battlefield 3, now this. August is the shittiest month of the year.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's possible they make the game for PC and make it just like the PC-exclusives, then port it to consoles and "dumb it down" in the process, isn't it? 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Diamond said:
    " @yinstarrunner: Today I'm just a gamer, and I game on PC as well as consoles.  I've pretty much always been that way since I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy in the early 90's.  The point of distinction is I'm not a fanboy with lots of misconceptions about what this announcement really means.  You might say I understand this better than you.  I understand this sort of announcement stirs a lot of fear in a lot of people, but those people fail to see the positives as well.

The biggest issue I see brought up is always graphics.  Sure, good graphics are nice, but the only limitations for a game like STALKER on consoles will be the graphics.  There's no reason to change the depth of the gameplay mechanics, and it's because of perverted concepts of what console or PC gamers want that causes some of those issues.  Sure some other developers really butcher the PC version, but many of those games wouldn't have been made at all if it weren't for the console versions. "
    QFT.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Diamond:  What? Gameplay will definitely change. They'll end up stripping out leaning, the diablo style inventory system, reduce the effect of bleeding/radiation/hunger (since there no longer the numerous hotkeys for items). This also prevents the possibility of any type of RTS or indirect unit control aspect. 

It's a controller issue. I suspect Far Cry 2 is what Stalker will be like on consoles. Or like Operation Flashpoint compared  to OFP: Dragon Rising.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Diamond:  What? Gameplay will definitely change. They'll end up stripping out leaning, the diablo style inventory system, reduce the effect of bleeding/radiation/hunger (since there no longer the numerous hotkeys for items). This also prevents the possibility of any type of RTS or indirect unit control aspect.   It's a controller issue. I suspect Far Cry 2 is what Stalker will be like on consoles. "

I wasn't aware Far Cry 2 was a terrible game? 

I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @MrKlorox: I think dragon rising is the worst way this can go.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By Deusoma

Good to hear! The first one was unnecessarily complicated and way too damn hard, maybe if they alter the gameplay to fit the console market it will be worth playing.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Deusoma said:

" Good to hear! The first one was unnecessarily complicated and way too damn hard, maybe if they alter the gameplay to fit the console market it will be worth playing. "

Then just make it a different game. Same as the Battlefield 3 argument. Call it some other name since that will not make it STALKER anymore.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Diamond said:

" @yinstarrunner: Today I'm just a gamer, and I game on PC as well as consoles.  I've pretty much always been that way since I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy in the early 90's.  The point of distinction is I'm not a fanboy with lots of misconceptions about what this announcement really means.  You might say I understand this better than you.  I understand this sort of announcement stirs a lot of fear in a lot of people, but those people fail to see the positives as well.

The biggest issue I see brought up is always graphics.  Sure, good graphics are nice, but the only limitations for a game like STALKER on consoles will be the graphics.  There's no reason to change the depth of the gameplay mechanics, and it's because of perverted concepts of what console or PC gamers want that causes some of those issues.  Sure some other developers really butcher the PC version, but many of those games wouldn't have been made at all if it weren't for the console versions. "

I game on consoles too, but I'm not going to spout off some bullshit about not having a preferential platform to play most of my games on.  For me, it just happens to be the PC.  I am not a PC "fanboy"  just because I like to play most of my games on one.  I am, however, a STALKER "fanboy".  The games offer a wholly unique experience with great atmosphere and deadly combat that few games can match.   I don't want the sequel to become something less than it should be because developers have to focus on "widening the audience" and making concessions for console hardware.

I don't give a shit about graphics.  That's not why I choose to play games on my PC, so it has no relevance to me.  What I DO care about is the interface, the controls, and the difficulty.  And the mod support.  Oh god, the mod support.  The ability to tailor my experience specifically to me; the ultimate embodiment of what PC gaming is all about that console gamers will never experience.  Now, what do all of these things have in common?  Most of them change when a PC game goes multiplatform.  They change to tailor to the console players while leaving the PC gamers in the cold.  There are exceptions (Dragon Age, Valve games, etc.), but most games do follow this route; for example, Mass Effect 2 on PC had the same button bound to Use, Sprint, and Take Cover.  On a keyboard with plenty of keys left over.  Nice.  It's the small things like that that you begin to notice when you play a lot of multiplat games on the PC, and they add up.

I love STALKER, and I don't want it to be less than it can be.   I'm not against multiplatform games at all, but STALKER already has an established MO, and it's not something I want to see follow the trend of other games like it.  I'm not in the business of stereotyping console gamers as mindless fuckwits like lots of other PC gamers do, I just call them like I see them.  To say "don't worry" because the developers MIGHT retain all the depth from the first game is not very poignant when you have precious few examples to use and I have a plethora.

Of course, if this has mod support, I'll be super happy, since it means productive individuals could fix the consolized UI (inevitable) and the bad controls (probable).
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mm665

This will not be S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jimbo

I think they should make a similar style game but in a new setting.  They could keep the name, but four games in the same shitty radioactive field might be a bit excessive.

They'll need to up their game a fair bit too.  Console gamers aren't exactly forgiving when it comes to rough edges.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Diamond
    @yinstarrunner:  You say I'm not a 'PC gamer' because I don't always buy the PC version of every game?  You have a preferential platform regardless of a game's quality?  I'd say your priorities are in the wrong order.

You're the one who brought up the graphics.  Everything but the graphics and mod support can easily be brought over the consoles.  Maybe the developers will foolishly think that console gamers want regenerating health or something, but that's the developers being dumbasses if they do so.  Mass Effect 2 was very much a console game, just like something like Street Fighter 4.  Did people complain that they didn't bind low fierce to a different button than high fierce on PC?  Sometimes streamlining works, I don't see how you could have a problem with the Mass Effect 2 example.

We're all past the age of always getting what we want.  Console games have changed and so have PC games.  What purpose does all this complaining, and in the cases of some people being willfully ignorant and offensive, serve?

Be wholly negative if you like, don't buy the game if it doesn't fit your every whim.  It's not gonna make you any more happy about it.  It's like Jeff complaining that Scott Pilgrim vs The World the game wasn't 'River City Ransom 2' in title.  It's pointless and stupid.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

It's kind of a bummer yes, but if if the developers are smart at all, there will be a pc version with all the bells and whistles we are used to,  and a console friendly version so those can get a STALKER like experience and if anything spread the name around. That way there will be more STALKER games and then we can hold hands and live in harmony!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.