Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl

Game » consists of 2 releases. Coming Sep 05, 2024

The formerly-cancelled sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 announced, and its going multi-platform

• 74 results
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Maybe they'll deliver this time.

I'm talking about how much of the game was cut since 2004. And that it was buggy as hell.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I thought of an example of other games that has been consolized by a pc exclusive developer that really downgraded a game similar to stalker. Recent developer crytek also went consolized with their latest game when they were an exclusive pc developer. Now we get linear corridor levels that's not even an open world game, combined dumbed down nano suit abilities where they combined it instead of seperate abilities because it's too difficult for some, medium low level graphics, a completely differenet landscape and the destruction of a great game that's streamlined. That's when you streamlined it too much imo, then pretending your original audience for your pc exclusives doesn't exist.

I mean what's to stop stalker series from streamlining the whole inventory system, taking away recoil from the gun, removing trajectories that bullets even in real life has, reducing the size of levels, removing directX 10, 11 support from the pc version, reducing graphics quality and mod support which was part of stalker games or reducing the difficulty significantly? I like multiplatform games, I really do, however I don't like it when the pc version gets canabilized and reduced in quality. Pc gamers are pc gamers because they don't like limitations, they can't compromise that easily, otherwise they would of just get a console since a good cpu is about the same price. I'm just speaking in general about the topic, not directed at anyone, not everyone likes pc gaming. One other interesting example is dragon age orgins, I heard we will lose the top down view feature because it sells more on consoles and they won't put it in because of that. Stuff like that goes too far imo is sort of inexcusable because it changes the gameplay of the pc version. The odds are stalker games will be streamlined. Hopefully more developers can find a balance and not sell out completely. I mean developers has to make money, which means they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I mean even I felt fustrated by stalker games, it's not that easy to sell to a general audience.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Three0neFive

I'm going to go ahead and say this is a bad idea, but not for the reason most people are.

I mean, the STALKER games are already pretty buggy, I feel that splitting their focus between 2 different platforms (they can pretty much just take the PC version and set it to low/med 1280x720 for the 360, PS3 is a whole other story) will only serve to worsen the problem.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Diamond:  I said that just because you play games on a lot of platforms doesn't mean that you don't have preferences in that regard.  I assume from your comments that you do NOT buy most of your games on the PC, and yes, that does in fact make you less of a PC gamer than me and therefore less qualified to talk about the effects that console gaming have on PC gaming as a whole.  Yes, I buy most multiplatform games on the PC because I enjoy the particular perks that PC gaming provides.  Unless a game is an awful, terrible, horrible port, I will probably buy it on PC.  Are my priorities not in the right order?  Let me decide that, but don't act like I'm the more ignorant one here when it comes to PC gaming and all the things that come with it.

I brought up graphics in passing because that is a perk of PC gaming, though once again, is not the reason I choose to do so.  I'm not trying to make this into an "OMG PC IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CONSOLE" flame war,  and you're right, most of the STALKER experience COULD be brought to consoles.  Everything but the graphics and the mod support and the interface and the controls.  You're absolutely right, it IS possible to do.  It IS within console capabilities.

But the past has shown that this is almost NEVER the case.   The human brain is inherently good at recognizing patterns, so I'm sorry if reading this news set off a few alarms in my head.

What purpose is all this complaining for?  It's for discussion.  This is, after all, a forum, a place to share opinion, and a lot of people are worried about this news.  Deal with it.

I love the STALKER series too much to not buy this game, and if it has mod support, I'll be more than happy enough with it after fixing all the issues that will inevitably come with this.

PS.  Writing "having three essential actions bound to one key in a third person shooter on the PC" off as "streamlining" makes my skin crawl.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MrKlorox
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " Writing "having three essential actions bound to one key in a third person shooter on the PC" off as "streamlining" makes my skin crawl. "
    ESPECIALLY when said game doesn't even have fucking controller support. We can't even use the original control method the game was designed around.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    "Hitman console rage in 3...2.....1.... "
    You know me too well. However they can have it, since it's a fustrating game. They will know how it feels like to play the game a bit, then don't play it for a year, then play it again and really like the game. "
    To be fair, though that was initially posted in a tongue in cheek snarky way - I do have to agree that they may have to (and i hate the term) 'dumb it down' for consoles. 

The interface is clunky enough as it is on PC right now (though I have not played the latest STALKER game so maybe it improved?) and there's an awful lot going on in STALKER - systems and mechanic wise that im not entirely sure they would try to keep everything and the kitchen sink within a console port. 
    I'm actually expecting something similar in depth to fallout 3 with this one.
    GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By GrandpaJelly

Consoles = Stupid?  I guess so. I hope this game doesn't scare me as much as the ones before it 
    /pussy

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By c1337us

If it gets released I'll probably buy it on console to be honest.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By Sooperspy
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " First Battlefield 3, now this. August is the shittiest month of the year. "
    Just wait until Jeff fires himself after giving Kane and Lynch 2 a bad score.
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By zaglis

So the dumbing down begins!
    Exactly what STALKER fans want - an easier game!

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jim_dandy

I loved the original STALKER. It was a bit hard to get into, but once you get used to it, it's amazing. The shooting mechanics are some of the best, as they used real ballistic modeling, and the loot system felt right as it forced me to choose between supplies and unique firearms/equipment. 

Not to mention going into dark places was actually foreboding.

I think that with the extra cash they made from sales of the original STALKER they'll be fine with going multi-platform. I can only hope they keep the good stuff that made it so immersive while fixing the translation errors and weird bugs that would crop up.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By MaskedGamer

You can't have mods on a console...

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Smersh

2012 release... so it'll be out in 2015?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By oraknabo

Console doesn't have to mean dumber or less complex, You guys sound like you're taking about a version for the iphone. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MrKlorox
    @oraknabo said:
    " Console doesn't have to mean dumber or less complex, You guys sound like you're taking about a version for the iphone.  "
    Have you ever played STALKER before?
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By borodin
    @oraknabo: It doesn't *have* to no, but sometimes it does mean that.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By oraknabo
    @MrKlorox: I own the book it's based on, the Tarkovsky movie and all 3 games. I'm currently re-playing Call of Pripyat. 
     I guess I must not "get" stalker if I trust the people who made it to make a good game with any controller though. 

Anyone who thinks there have never been complex console games has never played a console. Complex games do not always require complex control schemes. 

All you console haters need to chill out. They're still making it for PC and they've even said the console version will be a port of the PC version, not the original. You will still get to play it the way you like and still get all of your mods. I really don't get all of the whining.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MrKlorox
    @oraknabo said:
    " @MrKlorox: I own the book it's based on, the Tarkovsky movie and all 3 games. I'm currently re-playing Call of Pripyat.  I guess I must not "get" stalker if I trust the people who made it to make a good game with any controller though.  Anyone who thinks there have never been complex console games has never played a console. Complex games do not always require complex control schemes.  All you console haters need to chill out.  "
    Right, because that's exactly what I said after all. You totally don't get it. And I'm a console hater. Check.  

@oraknabo said:
    " They're still making it for PC and they've even said the console version will be a port of the PC version, not the original. "
    Do you have a citation? I'd love to read such a thing from GSC.

@oraknabo said:
    " You will still get to play it the way you like and still get all of your mods. I really don't get all of the whining. "
    Then you should already be aware that mods aren't about the luxury of making it play the way we want. They're about the necessity to fix the massive gaps the developers left between the original description and the final game. It's more about expecting GSC to pull a Molyneux and over-promise while delivering half.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By oraknabo

"play it the way you like" = "with a keyboard and mouse"  

It was on both GSC's message boards and their facebook page. You are free to locate them. It might be a good idea to read these things anyway before complaining. That's not targeted at you, just some general advice.

You may or may not be a console hater. I was speaking to them.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By oraknabo
    @MrKlorox: Also, what other reason is there to ask someone if they've played a game than to imply that they don't understand it? Were you really just curious if I've played it or not?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MrKlorox
    @oraknabo:  Yes I was. Half the people who chime in on these type of threads (ie the Battlefield 3 one) have never played the original games. 

I wasn't implying you didn't get it. I was asking if you had a chance to.
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By ViciousReiven

Awesome!  
    The game looked pretty cool, but there was no way in hell I was playing it on PC.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#73  Edited By Ping5000

lol

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jack268
    @Ping5000: Did you just bump a 15 month old thread to write "lol"? 

That's some great insight right there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.