STALKER 2 is dead and so is GSC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

What a shame. :\

http://ukranews.com/ru/news/ukraine/2011/12/09/59663

The translation which I found on GAF basically boils down to 2 reasons.

1) One of the ukranian law enforcement structure was interested in taking control over GSC (translation - they wanted to capture the company and have their money/control their direction).  < Wtf
2) Grigorovich didn't like how STALKER 2 development was going,

Bye Stalker...

#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3479 posts) -
#3 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

:(

EDIT: Apparently they haven't!

http://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker/status/145156370390454272

God let it be true...

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Packie said:

God let it be true...

Link is broken 

I hope they're still in business, Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are easily two of the best PC shooters ever made!
#5 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4045 posts) -

Noooooooo, we need all the Eastern Bloc-iness we can get these days. I hope it's all a lie

#6 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -
@Packie said:

God let it be true...

The company director tweeted saying it's true that they closed.
#7 Posted by Liber (647 posts) -

Fuck Stalker, Cossacks was their best game.

#8 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3631 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOO! This is the worst. Somebody better check on Dave, make sure he's alright.

#9 Posted by geirr (2386 posts) -

This is a bummer if true.

#10 Posted by wafflesrok (17 posts) -

sad face

#11 Edited by drp23 (6 posts) -
#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

That'd be a bloody shame.

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6069 posts) -

Not entirely sure whether I believe this. Especially when all I have seen so far are shitty sensationalist threads like this.

#14 Posted by falling_fast (2148 posts) -
#15 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -

I never did get in to any of the STALKER games but I sure as hell appreciated them from a distance. Sad day.

#16 Posted by Bongos (186 posts) -

God damn it.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14467 posts) -

it's not happening stalker 2's gonna come out and it's gonna be the best game ever

#18 Posted by Nentisys (882 posts) -

Damnnit, I love Stalker.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14467 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Bethesda should buy the license and stick STALKER into the rotation between Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

jesus christ are you dumb, that would be the worst idea ever

#20 Posted by bybeach (4616 posts) -

no trust the internet....

NO TRUST THE iNTERNET!!!!!!

#21 Posted by Animasta (14467 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

Bethesda should buy the license and stick STALKER into the rotation between Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

Sure, they could give it to Obsidian. I don't see how that could go badly or upset anyone.

yes please that would be the 2nd best outcome (1st obviously being the team keeps working on it)

#22 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

Whats wrong with that? Seems fine to me. I like all three of those games series a lot, and obviously STALKER is very different in gameplay from those other games, but its not an awful idea, especially if they got the original team working on it. STALKER with a bigger budget? Sounds good to me.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -
@Liber said:

Oh FUCK I never realized they did Cossacks 

I fucking love Cossacks so much.
#24 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -

Noooooooooo!!! All the Stalker games were awesome.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14467 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

Whats wrong with that? Seems fine to me. I like all three of those games series a lot, and obviously STALKER is very different in gameplay from those other games, but its not an awful idea, especially if they got the original team working on it. STALKER with a bigger budget? Sounds good to me.

that's saying that they would have Bethesda working on the games though, which would probably be a disaster

also that bourkovski guy is not the CEO, or any connection to GSC at all, so who knows at this point.

#26 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I hope it's not true... I love the STALKER franchise :(

#27 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Commisar123 said:

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

that's saying that they would have Bethesda working on the games though, which would probably be a disaster

also that bourkovski guy is not the CEO, or any connection to GSC at all, so who knows at this point.

There are way worse fates for franchises then getting Bethesda working on your games.

#28 Posted by Hosstile17 (747 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

@Animasta said:

@Commisar123 said:

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

There are way worse fates for franchises then getting Bethesda working on your games.

Yeah, Treyarch getting their hands on it. HEY-O!

#29 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

@Animasta said:

@rebgav said:

Sure, they could give it to Obsidian. I don't see how that could go badly or upset anyone.

yes please that would be the 2nd best outcome (1st obviously being the team keeps working on it)

Yep, amazing open world games with a lot of jank and a lot of loot, I don't see why not.
#30 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Liber said:

I love Cossacks to no end!

The game is so fantastic... and that even though the tech at that time cannot even be compared to what we got nowadays. Then again, somehow all non Blizzard RTSs just got horrible over the last years :(

Who made Cossacks 2? I suppose not the same guys, right?

#31 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Fallout 3 set in Kiev? That'd be pretty cool, especially if they have the Soviet version of Liberty Prime. Communist Robot destroy Imperialist!!

#32 Posted by Zyte (178 posts) -

Nooooooo! What the fuck!!?

#33 Posted by MB (11331 posts) -

Please continue in the comments of the article, thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.