Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

First 4 Hours - Thoughts

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By intarcouch

So I got the game from the Steam sale over last weekend. I personally *HATED* STALKER SoC, but I'm finding this game to be completely enjoyable, utterly addicting, and downright scary at some parts (THOSE GODDAMN BLOODSUCKERS/SNORKS MAN)! Although I was kinda confused at first, since the game feels kinda lacking in the whole "story & dialog" parts: ie the russian/english translation; but after I got used to the game, I was having a blast just running around being scared shitless (especially when it turned dark outside).  

I'm digging the upgrade system, as I am finding it to be very in-depth (the way that each certain gun has their own plentiful upgrades, as well as all those certain pieces of armor), and the gameplay is pretty damn challenging (but not too hard), playing on the Veteran difficulty as recommended by many of you. Also, the weapon degradation isn't that bad... it actually kinda makes the game more challenging/fluid because it makes (me personally) want to search for new weapons. 

This is the first game I've played in a while that actually *FEELS* like a true PC game. 

All-in-all I'm loving the game so far. I feel like it does a bunch of shit right that the first STALKER couldn't. I just wish I knew a few people around here who weren't playing the SC2 beta/Heavy Rain so that I could talk to about this amazing atmospheric game (or maybe I'm just jealous).  

Remember- this is coming from a dude who ABSOLUTELY HATED the first STALKER.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By spaceturtle
    @intarcouch:
    I have to be honest and say that I do not really understand this topic you've started, and why you've started it. Dont mean to be an asshole, but it doesnt open up a discussion about the game. Hell, it doesnt open up a discussion about anything.

BUT! If you need someone to agree with you then Im totaly in! CoP is a great game. I didnt HATE SoC, I actually found it to be a lot of fun. And a good game experience. But I didnt love it. But when I bought Clear Sky I got a whole new sense about what stalker was about. And therefore I was looking very much forward to CoP. And CoP turned out to be more than I expected.
    Now, you're only 4 hours into this game (or, at least at the time this topic was made) so I guess you havent passed a final judgement about the game. But I personally didnt like the ending. It was alright, I shouldnt be complaining, but not as good as it could have been. What do you think?
    intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By intarcouch
    @SPACETURTLE: I guess I should've posted "what are people's first thoughts on the game having/having not played the first?" Or "Thought From a STALKER Virgin"

Yeah, I haven't gotten to the ending yet... but frankly I don't even want the game to end anytime soon. I'm starting to backtrack more, and really trying to get a handle of every artifact in the zone as possible.  Also- I haven't played Clear Sky at all.

My only beef with the game so far, and this is minor, is where is the armor? Yes, I can purchase that one trenchcoat and that one piece of normal armor from the dudes in the first two zones... but when do I get a badass piece of armor like some of those mercs have? This problem arose to me with the weapons at first... and then I eventually looted a badass shotgun and an assault rifle, so I was pretty stoked about that.  

Even though I'd much rather find armor on my own- should I look at a guide for this game? 
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By spaceturtle

I was mostly joking about the topic-stuff. Any topic regarding CoP is a great topic! ;)

I definitely know what you mean. I never wanted the game to end either. So I went ahead and did all the side-quests which btw are really good in  this game compared to clear sky for example. I dont know about you, but I had about 30 to 35 hours on my firstplaythrough. I really took my time with this game. I know you havent finished it yet, but how much you got so far? As I've come to understand the game can be completed pretty fast. Most people I've talked to have completed it in 10 hours.

Yeah, about the armor and guns. There isnt really that many "good" guns lying around in the beginning of the game. There will be more eventually of course. What I always focus on in the beginning of the game when I dont have that much cash, is collecting artfacts. By selling artifacts you can obtain a pretty decent sum of money pretty fast. With that money, head over to Nimble, the guy in top floor of the first stalker base, the stranded boat. Skadovsk or something, dont remember the name of the base... Anyways this guy, Nimble sells you special weapons. For a pretty high price thou. But there is a lot of money going around in the game, so shouldnt be a problem. Also, the guns he sells are usally better than anything else you can find in the zone. You will still have to upgrade them thou. The same goes for armor. I think he can sell you the seva suit. Which is a badass armor. I think its catogorized under exoskeletons. I have this thing where I dont play stalker with the heavy armors like the seva suit. So I usally stay away from them heavy armors and go for something a little weaker.

You should also do some missions for Beard located in the same base as already mentioned. The base in Zaton that is. He deals with artifacts so there is also a lot of money to be made from him. But like you said, you would like to FIND the armors. I dont really know where to find armors thou. If there even is such a place that is worth looking through for armors. There is definitely possible to find them. But I would assume that its hard to find armors by looking for them. Occasionally you'll stumble over a armor you may like. But if you really crave a good armor go to Nimble.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jmrwacko

Hmm, I hated the first STALKER as well solely because of the presentation issues and the clunky inventory interface, and because you were stuck with crappy weapons and three clips of ammunition fighting Russian special forces that took fifteen shots to kill, until 5 hours into the game. Maybe that means I will like this game?

intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By intarcouch
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

@SPACETURTLE said:

Yeah, about the armor and guns. There isnt really that many "good" guns lying around in the beginning of the game.

Pfft, I don't know what you're talking about, no good guns lying around in the beginning? I spent probably the first half of my 32 hour long CoP first playthrough with the hunting rifle. No joke. That thing was just so powerful and so satisfying. 
    Plus, it feels so... Stalker-y. Runnin' around in my raggedy outfit, gunnin' down dudes and barely makin' it by. Seriously, you should try playing the game relying heavily on the hunting rifle, at least for the beginning. It is very satisfying.     

@intarcouch:
    if that spoiler tag is for the ending, and if it complains about how it sucks, then I agree.

If it isn't about the ending, and is instead about the mission where you get into Pripyat with your crew, and you are saying it is awesome, then I agree completely.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron

CoP is a great game.  It's also very, very easy, even on the hardest difficulty. And it lacks the challenges and scare factor of SoC. CoP is a great return to the franchise, but it doesn't have the same magic the first game did. (and CS doesn't count, that was a buggy nightmare) 

I like all the little additions they put in, like the blowouts, the upgrades, the sleep system, and the revamped artifact-hunting stuff. Still, I can't help but think that this shit should've been in SoC (and a lot of it WAS, but was disabled for some reason, see the Oblivion Lost mod). Also, of all the areas, I actually found Pripyat itself the most lacking. There's not much there, most of the buildings are inaccessible, and aside from Monolith snipers, there's no real challenging enemies roaming around. 

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422
    @intarcouch said:
    " So I got the game from the Steam sale over last weekend. I personally *HATED* STALKER SoC, but I'm finding this game to be completely enjoyable, utterly addicting, and downright scary at some parts (THOSE GODDAMN BLOODSUCKERS/SNORKS MAN)! Although I was kinda confused at first, since the game feels kinda lacking in the whole "story & dialog" parts: ie the russian/english translation; but after I got used to the game, I was having a blast just running around being scared shitless (especially when it turned dark outside).  

I'm digging the upgrade system, as I am finding it to be very in-depth (the way that each certain gun has their own plentiful upgrades, as well as all those certain pieces of armor), and the gameplay is pretty damn challenging (but not too hard), playing on the Veteran difficulty as recommended by many of you. Also, the weapon degradation isn't that bad... it actually kinda makes the game more challenging/fluid because it makes (me personally) want to search for new weapons. 

This is the first game I've played in a while that actually *FEELS* like a true PC game. 

All-in-all I'm loving the game so far. I feel like it does a bunch of shit right that the first STALKER couldn't. I just wish I knew a few people around here who weren't playing the SC2 beta/Heavy Rain so that I could talk to about this amazing atmospheric game (or maybe I'm just jealous).  

Remember- this is coming from a dude who ABSOLUTELY HATED the first STALKER. "
    While I have a hard time seeing how you hated the first STALKER but love this one in general, regardless of that, I'll just agree that CoP is a fucking great game. I'm loving it too, and its for sure the best game they've launched with easily, barely any technical hiccups, and its just beautiful to look at on so many levels without the broken optimization like Clear Sky.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By thatfrood
    @emkeighcameron:
    I agree. This is why I wish so dearly that they could somehow implement all of these gameplay improvements in SoC. But I know that that just won't happen. 
    But yeah, even without a crosshair and on hardest, which is how I played it, the game only challenged me when I had to kill those fucking burers. But that's something I hope a mod fixes. Not so much make the enemies have more hitpoints (because god knows the burers do not need any more fucking hitpoitns) but just limit the amount of ammo that's dropped, so that you are encouraged to use the shotgun and pistol more often. 
    I never even bothered using an abakan or ak because the ammo for the Groza was so plentiful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.