Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

Not in current week's New Games or Bombcast did I miss something?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

I completely understand a general lack of interest in PC only Eastern bloc games.  I get that.  But to have Imagine Reporter and not this game in the scheduled release section either tells me that nobody remembered or those games are based on direct contact from publishers.

However this game I have seen on various websites, including the Queen's own GiantBomb.com, that it is scheduled to be released this week.  I more or less expect the guys to have forgotten about the game before this week but why was it missing in the New Releases section of the podcast?  Did bitComposer just drop the ball on this one or did people honestly forget?

I'm just making noise right now because I'm worried it will take ages for anyone to notice this game is supposed to be on store shelves right now.  In GB's defense, I had no idea when this game was coming out prior to the favorable GS review the game got.  However there is nothing I can see that says this game is not coming out this week.  I think we'll see physical copies later in the week but still...

Anyone else with me on this or am I just crazy?  This game launches this week right?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bacongames

I know this is in poor taste but man the thread meant to raise awareness died faster than [insert washed up actor]'s career.

I won't "bump" the thread again so the mods can at least give me that.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Dude

Yeah it threw me off when I walked through Target the other day and saw it on the shelf. I normally just check the dates of games I want to get on Giant Bomb, but Pripyat totally flew under my radar some how as well. But as long as I get it, I'm happy, STALKER series is one of my favorites.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

It might have something to do with it being listed under the Dave Snider series of videogames. AKA busted ass eastern bloc games. 

They don't have the best of reputations. I played the original Stalker and encountered more bugs then that time my house was infested with ants.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By PufferFiz

I was wonder that myself.
    After I got reports target had it in stock. I went there last night and picked up a copy.
    I really hope they do a quick look

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bacongames

Busted or not, I see no reason why the game got straight up ignored this week.  I mean they did a quicklook of Global Agenda.  Really?!  No name crappy instanced MMO and not STALKER?  Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I felt like this game deserved more attention.  It's not even in the list of new releases and that's what drove me to make this thread in the first place.

Should I email the guys?  I don't want to come off as a snob but if they forget about this game, then I worry it will never be mentioned on the site ever.  Game got a North America release and now I see people are seeing in on store shelves.  Horrible lack of PR but c'mon this shouldn't happen, I don't care where the game comes from.

On these rare occasions GiantBomb disappoints me.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Dude
    @Tuffgong said:
    " Busted or not, I see no reason why the game got straight up ignored this week.  I mean they did a quicklook of Global Agenda.  Really?!  No name crappy instanced MMO and not STALKER?  Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I felt like this game deserved more attention.  It's not even in the list of new releases and that's what drove me to make this thread in the first place. Should I email the guys?  I don't want to come off as a snob but if they forget about this game, then I worry it will never be mentioned on the site ever.  Game got a North America release and now I see people are seeing in on store shelves.  Horrible lack of PR but c'mon this shouldn't happen, I don't care where the game comes from.  On these rare occasions GiantBomb disappoints me. "
    I agree, and the point that the game is full of bugs that @jadeskye made is pretty dumb seeing as how the guys have done quick looks of games like Rouge Warrior.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By MildMolasses

Honestly, I haven't really seen it mentioned anywhere. I have to think that this has more to do with the publisher not reaching out to the press than anyone willfully ignoring it. Afterall, when Ryan does the new releases, all the dsi and wiiware stuff is just coming straight off of press releases. It's not as though he goes and researches it all
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By thatfrood

Yeah, I noticed it wasn't mentioned, but I didn't really expect them to mention it. If anyone would have brought it up, it would have been Dave, and he's probably busy/playing other games.
    But the game is hella fun. I love STALKER.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By gike987
    @The_Dude said:

" @Tuffgong said:

" Busted or not, I see no reason why the game got straight up ignored this week.  I mean they did a quicklook of Global Agenda.  Really?!  No name crappy instanced MMO and not STALKER?  Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I felt like this game deserved more attention.  It's not even in the list of new releases and that's what drove me to make this thread in the first place. Should I email the guys?  I don't want to come off as a snob but if they forget about this game, then I worry it will never be mentioned on the site ever.  Game got a North America release and now I see people are seeing in on store shelves.  Horrible lack of PR but c'mon this shouldn't happen, I don't care where the game comes from.  On these rare occasions GiantBomb disappoints me. "
    I agree, and the point that the game is full of bugs that @jadeskye made is pretty dumb seeing as how the guys have done quick looks of games like Rouge Warrior. "
    And I have heard this is the STALKER game with the least number of bugs, not that it says much.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bacongames
    @The_Dude said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    I agree, and the point that the game is full of bugs that @jadeskye made is pretty dumb seeing as how the guys have done quick looks of games like Rouge Warrior. "
    The GS review pointed out multiple times that it is the most stable version of STALKER yet.  No crashes or bugs in their whole review playthrough, which makes that even less true. 

@MildMolasses: I get that, which is why I'm making it known that this game is totally out this week.  Bombcast mistakes are fine, that is more related to publisher contact than anything I'm sure.  However the complete lack of any mention anywhere is shocking to me.  Not to say the site has had no precedent for ignoring Eastern Bloc games, but its one of the biggest and most successful of the games to make it to the west.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cube

It's kind of disappointing. I hated STALKER 1. A lot. Nothing impressed me, I didn't like it at all.

BUT, I want the STALKER games to sell well because I believe there is a certain effort that goes into them that shouldn't go unrewarded.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

The first stalker was far better than Clear Sky, so I really unfortunately don't hold much hope for this being that great.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I've checked out some reviews and most say it's the most polished of the STALKER games. The European sites were not as kind. Here's the reviews shown on Metacritic. I thought for sure Dave would do a Quick Look.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bacongames
    @Claude said:

" I've checked out some reviews and most say it's the most polished of the STALKER games. The European sites were not as kind. Here's the reviews shown on Metacritic. I thought for sure Dave would do a Quick Look. "

Given how cynical some reviewers can get, a 79 average is not even close to being a bad score.  

@pause422 said:

" The first stalker was far better than Clear Sky, so I really unfortunately don't hold much hope for this being that great. "

From what I can tell (GS review referenced here) the game drops a lot of Clear Sky's problems.  I consider it the proper sequel to the original and expect to love it as much as the first.  

@Cube said:

" It's kind of disappointing. I hated STALKER 1. A lot. Nothing impressed me, I didn't like it at all.  BUT, I want the STALKER games to sell well because I believe there is a certain effort that goes into them that shouldn't go unrewarded. "

I loved it a lot and as someone who really cares about the series, I only see it as fair that I say something when its launch goes unnoticed.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By jeff
    @Tuffgong: It looks like the game did, indeed, ship to stores this week. At least that's what the US publisher is claiming. But after doing some checking around, it's not getting very good distribution at all. The closest thing I've seen is Amazon, which claims they'll stock it on 2/7. GameStop's listing it as backordered, which probably means they haven't received any copies at all yet. Most other retailers (and Steam) don't even know it exists.

So if we end up getting our hands on a copy, we may do something on it. We'll see.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
    @Tuffgong:  I agree. I always take the Metacritic score with a grain of salt. I usually just read the reviews to see if I want to purchase or not. I loved the first STALKER, but I was afraid my PC was getting too old to play further games in the series. I'm still tempted though. Hell, it might run better on my aging PC than the first one. One review even mentioned that they incorporated the ideas behind the Oblivion Lost mod.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @Claude: There's a benchmark for CoP that's been out for a while.  Runs a bit worse than STALKER with Complete 2009 and looks worse too, IMO (with maxed details at least (forget if the benchmark had options)).
    The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Dude
    @Jeff said:
    " @Tuffgong: It looks like the game did, indeed, ship to stores this week. At least that's what the US publisher is claiming. But after doing some checking around, it's not getting very good distribution at all. The closest thing I've seen is Amazon, which claims they'll stock it on 2/7. GameStop's listing it as backordered, which probably means they haven't received any copies at all yet. Most other retailers (and Steam) don't even know it exists. So if we end up getting our hands on a copy, we may do something on it. We'll see. "
    good to hear it from the man himself, thanks for responding Jeff. It seems crazy to me how...stealth-fully this game was put out.  
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bacongames
    @The_Dude said:
    " @Jeff said:
    " @Tuffgong: It looks like the game did, indeed, ship to stores this week. At least that's what the US publisher is claiming. But after doing some checking around, it's not getting very good distribution at all. The closest thing I've seen is Amazon, which claims they'll stock it on 2/7. GameStop's listing it as backordered, which probably means they haven't received any copies at all yet. Most other retailers (and Steam) don't even know it exists. So if we end up getting our hands on a copy, we may do something on it. We'll see. "
    good to hear it from the man himself, thanks for responding Jeff. It seems crazy to me how...stealth-fully this game was put out.   "
    Before posting I did look at GameStop and saw the back order, missing on Steam, and the Amazon thing as well.  Weird how this game for intents and purposes was released on stores shelves this week but it wasn't at the same time.

If a game gets released one week and appears on store shelves the next, I can see where it would get passed by.

I am so glad we got word from the top though.  However small I made a bit of an impact.  Yay!
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Claude
    @Diamond said:
    " @Claude: There's a benchmark for CoP that's been out for a while.  Runs a bit worse than STALKER with Complete 2009 and looks worse too, IMO (with maxed details at least (forget if the benchmark had options)). "
    I installed STALKER Complete 2009 and it brought my PC to its knees. I just don't have enough VRAM for all those hi-rez textures. Oblivion Lost ran better on mine with medium to high settings.
    erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By erinfizz
    @Tuffgong: Just as a reminder, but as far as games listed in the New Games section of GB, those are pulled straight from release data. On any game page, you can click Releases on the left bar or top of page to add the info.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Jeff said:
    Jeff, I have the game in my hand right now. From what I hear target is the one that has them all. When I went there were 2-3 more copies left.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Diamond
    @Claude: CoP might run better for you then, try the benchmark.  Complete 2009 is definitely taxing, but the CoP benchmark ran a bit worse for me.
    icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By icyroy05

Yeah, I was really surprised to see CoP at Target about an hour ago.

Completely forgot it was coming out. Still pondering on whether to pick it up or not.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PufferFiz
    @icyroy05 said:
    " Yeah, I was really surprised to see CoP at Target about an hour ago.  Completely forgot it was coming out. Still pondering on whether to pick it up or not. "
    I say do it, It is not out anywhere else (not even steam) so might as well, It is not like the price will drop anytime soon, and you get a SWEET MAP AND STICKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

Call of Pripyat is the best in the series and most stable by far. Bugs are not an issue.  And it runs much better than Complete 2009 mod on a 512 mb card.

Waiting until the shitty no-name distributor puts it in stores other than Target. Or better yet Steam. I read that each Target got four copies.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bybeach

@ jeff and whomever, I have had this game since tuesday (feb 2) of this week, even though it was suppossed to be a 2 day order. On top of that, they sent me the collectors edition. For the reduced pre-order price and all, how nice!

I can`t say much about the game itself, except some aware reviewers out there are giving it respecable reviews. For myself, i`m only an hour in, mostly messing with mass effect 2, but the scenery in Call of Pripyat is as usual both bleak and beautiful. The game played right off the bat, and supposedly this time they have it together, having been out in Russia for awhile.

This would seem right up Dave`s alley, perhaps.

Avatar image for theineffablebob
    TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By TheIneffableBob
    @Cube said:
    " It's kind of disappointing. I hated STALKER 1. A lot. Nothing impressed me, I didn't like it at all.  BUT, I want the STALKER games to sell well because I believe there is a certain effort that goes into them that shouldn't go unrewarded. "
    The STALKER games have sold very well. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky have sold over 3 million copies combined. That is massive.
    icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By icyroy05
    @PufferFiz:  Went back today and bought it. The stickers are what sealed the deal for me. 

@bybeach:  Did your copy have a plain black DVD case inside the card board sleeve, as in no cover art on the actual DVD case?
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bybeach

Minor, but I didn`t much like how the dvd came, in that it was somewhat exposed in a semi open case with a heavy mill plastic wrap to prevent direct contact on much of the Read side. Best to put the whole case back in the sleeve, solves the problem when storing, and what i would do anyways so no biggie.  

The art was in the fold out portion with the sleeve, and also came with a 26" X 17 and 1/2" poster of the area/pics, and on the other side, a tree explaining weapon upgrades and other info. I Also got the stickers. It`s the german Collectors edition that is suppossed to rock, with a stalker inscribed lighter. I could care really,  but I was suprised I got what i did. The new paper/print smell hit me like the inside of a new car as soon as I opened the outer sealing, I almost wondered if the fragrance was added! Nice thicker than usual manual also, plus the stickers. I do not know though if the manual is enhanced  over the regular edition. 

To be frank, i`m really stoked over this game going by the bit I have played, and much more what I have read.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696

Weird. I saw a glimpse of this game somewhere. But can't figure out where. The problem is that I can't find it anywhere.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karkarov

It is sort of funny to say this since you wouldn't really think to check it but Newegg actually has it in stock, it is even on their little front page for the "pc games and accessories" section.  I think the only version released out there is the collectors, I actually tried looking for a plain old normal one and could not find one.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By frankxiv

stalker owns, i hope dave does a quick look of this new one, i've heard good things from the euro release.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgentofChaos

Please at least give us a quick look. A review would be pushing it for a game that will likely be 3 out of 5 stars.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By shirogane

Weird, i thought i saw it on the new games page here, but then i checked. I hadn't heard of this until i saw it somewhere, which i was certain was the New Games page on GB, so where the hell did i see it? 

I've still yet to play the first game, even though i have it.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bybeach

Right now at Gamerankings, Call Of Pripyat is 83.43%. by around 7 vetted. GB of course is vetted there also. Probably it`s a bit off-step survival/fps/rpg Pc game. It doesn`t gratify right away. Shadow of Chernobyl became one of my absolute favorites. I hope this does it once more, the world had potential depth. Along with the shooting mechanics I eventually got down. Well, better weapons! Better everything.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Nekroskop

The game is 17 Euros on Steam. Pick it up or get out of here, Stalker...
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

Quoth Jeff yesterday: 

"I just bought STALKER last night. We'll do something with it soon."

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By snide
    @Tuffgong: We've done a quick look of pripyat that should go up soon. My quick reaction? Much more polished than the previous two games and if you're a fan of the Eastern Bloc genre of games this is easily a winner. STALKER games might not be recommendable for pure FPS audiences but if you're the kind of dude/dudette that felt you were somewhat cheated by the lack of complexity of Fallout 3, then this is your game. It's an intelligent, complex and flawed game.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bacongames
    @snide said:
    " @Tuffgong: We've done a quick look of pripyat that should go up soon. My quick reaction? Much more polished than the previous two games and if you're a fan of the Eastern Bloc genre of games this is easily a winner. STALKER games might not be recommendable for pure FPS audiences but if you're the kind of dude/dudette that felt you were somewhat cheated by the lack of complexity of Fallout 3, then this is your game. It's an intelligent, complex and flawed game. "
    Funny you say this because I bought Call of Pripyat because of the promotion/discount and I'm now more than half-way in my second playthrough.  I'm a big fan of the series and this one feels right, I just wish there was more to play.  Shorter than Shadow of Chernobyl for sure.  I think it would have been nice to have a boatload of missions from either Freedom or Duty, like in the original, that's my only real complaint.  That and the English voice acting of course.  But for 20 bones, I CANNOT be more happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.