Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

So, ehm, question...

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spaceturtle

I've heard you can tweak the graphics for this game with mods. How does that work? And if there is a softwere to use where could I get it? I have found some mods but none that really does anything to the graphics.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By bacongames

I'm assuming you are playing the newly released US version. I would say...wait. Mods so close to release are almost never a good idea. Give the modders time and they will come through. Sorry this isn't actual advice and it looks like stalker.filefront has plenty. I'm curious to know what it is you want to tweak? Something you don't like?

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Tuffgong:
    Yes, well, the Europian release. I would guess there isnt much of a difference between the two. I have cheacked out filefront, there is definitely some mods there. But none that really does anyting to the graphics. At least not what I expected. But like you said, its still pretty early on so I guess hoping for good mods this soon is probably not reality. I really just wanted to see if I could find some interesting things to tweak. Not looking for anything in particular. I havent played that much around with mods previously. Only some on Crysis. I peronally really enjoy the graphics on CoP. No complaints at all. Whats your opinion on the graphics btw?
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By bacongames
    @SPACETURTLE: As someone who practically whole days modding Shadow of Chernobyl, I can tell you it's a good idea to wait.  Actually I'm a heavy mod user with certain games (Oblivion I spent ages modding) and in my experience you have to wait for a texture mod that increases the resolution of game assets.  Otherwise you won't see too many mods that change the in-game graphics options.  Graphical overhauls usually take time so you won't see too many of those near launch.   That and sometimes you just won't see certain mods until the game has been out for a few months.

I usually buy games at the end of each year so I'll unfortunately won't dive back into Stalker until that time comes.  However the wallpaper I have right now of some greeny/brown area when it's raining says it will probably be awesome.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Depends on what you wanna tweak. Most of what you probably wanna tweak (shadows, gloss, texture LOD, depth of field blur, etc...) is in the user.ltx file created the first time you ran the game. Should be in a folder in either My Documents or Public Documents -- not sure which.

There's absolutely no reason to wait for mods other than the fact that there aren't many available on English sites yet. Most of the best mods for earlier Stalker games were of Russian origin, and they've had this game since October. This game isn't "so close to release," it's just "close to localization".

There are some good mods for this gamealready, such as the ones that allow the mechanics to offer both upgrades instead of locking the other off once you bought one. Have a look around the GSC Gameworld forums to see what's available so far. You'll probably also find some information on how to tweak your user.ltx to your preferences.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Tuffgong: 
    Oh, you havent played it yet? I have not seen that wallpaper, but I can tell you right now, Call of Pripyat is the best. Incredible game! Definitely the strongest one i the series.
    Anyways, thanks for the info, mate! ;) I'll be sure to look out for mods over time. I absolutely wanna play around with graphics and what not in this game.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spaceturtle
    @MrKlorox: 
    Oh, nice! Thanks mate. I found one mod on filefront which was really awesome, called "atmosfear". Looks really sweet. Anywho, I would love to learn how to tweak the game on my own by messing around in the .ltx file. I did take a look at it to see if there where anything I might grasp so I could do just that - tweak it myself. But didnt get much of what was going on there... So I will definitely check out the GSC forums as you recommended to see if I could acquire some knowledge about the ltx file. Also to check if there is some mods already there. 

I would guess many of the mods laying around the net is just the user.ltx file, only with some values changed, right? Except for the "atmosfear" mod and probobly others like it, cause it was some aditional files there which needed to be placed in the root folder.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

Most mods are usually just ltx file alterations, but not always the user.ltx. The gamedata.db* files can be unpacked and are full of ltx text files (along with the usual stuff like textures and levels and sounds, etc...) to really dig into if you're the type to do so. Many such alterations from earlier stalker games work with CoP, even if the files themselves are incompatible. So look around the mod discussion forums of those games as well as CoP for insight on how to bring over basic things.

Here are the major changes in my user.ltx that I got off some forum post. They fixed most of my sun shadow problems and helped the DOF blur and adjustment to darkness. Backup yours then make your values match these and see if that doesn't help. 

r2_dof -1.400000,0.000000,300.000000
    r2_dof_enable on
    r2_dof_kernel 2.
    r2_sun_depth_far_bias -0.00001
    r2_sun_depth_far_scale 0.99999
    r2_sun_depth_near_bias -0.
    r2_sun_depth_near_scale 0.99995
    r2_sun_details on
    r2_sun_far 100.
    r2_sun_focus on
    r2_sun_lumscale 1.3
    r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.8
    r2_sun_lumscale_hemi 0.9
    r2_sun_near 30.
    r2_sun_near_border 1.
    r2_sun_quality st_opt_medium
    r2_sun_shafts st_opt_low
    r2_sun_tsm on
    r2_sun_tsm_bias 0.
    r2_sun_tsm_proj 0.64
    r2_tf_mipbias 0.
    r2_tonemap on
    r2_tonemap_adaptation 3.5
    r2_tonemap_amount 1.
    r2_tonemap_lowlum 1.
    r2_tonemap_middlegray 2.
    texture_lod 0

Mods that adjust the view distance are also neat. Here's one that makes you see three times as far. Combined with the texture_lod line it should help the distant texture issues.

edit: oh I guess I could tell you how to install it in case you're not already aware. edit your fsgame.ltx file in the root folder and change the gamedata line from both false to both true ($game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata\). Then place the gamedata folder found in the zip into your CoP root folder. It'll interfere with the Atmosfear mod if you have that installed because both modify some of the same files (the weathers).
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spaceturtle
    @MrKlorox:
    Hey thanks man! I will try this out right now. Really thanks! =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.