Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Completed

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

I finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat close to two weeks ago now, but I've been busy between work and travel and only just got a chance to put down my thoughts about it.  I will start by saying that the main plotline is pretty weak.  There is a mystery about what took down a number of military helicopters, and the answer is a fairly big letdown.  That being said, pretty much everything else about the game is really well done.  Other than the main storyline, this game is a clear improvement over S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.  There are a lot fewer bugs, the weapon upgrade system and artifact sensors are both nice new touches, the game is generally clearer about quest objectives, and there is a fast travel element that makes the whole world feel a bit more manageable (but still large).  And the game world is still very immersive, with an item management system that really makes you think carefully about what you want to carry (bullets have weight), and a really good combat dynamic.  It's pretty satisfying to score a headshot here, which is a big difference from Fallout: New Vegas, where I would sometimes fucking unload on a dude's head in VATS and only take off half his health.  I'm not planning on writing a review for this one (I think there are several good ones already on the site), but it's definitely worth playing.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat close to two weeks ago now, but I've been busy between work and travel and only just got a chance to put down my thoughts about it.  I will start by saying that the main plotline is pretty weak.  There is a mystery about what took down a number of military helicopters, and the answer is a fairly big letdown.  That being said, pretty much everything else about the game is really well done.  Other than the main storyline, this game is a clear improvement over S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.  There are a lot fewer bugs, the weapon upgrade system and artifact sensors are both nice new touches, the game is generally clearer about quest objectives, and there is a fast travel element that makes the whole world feel a bit more manageable (but still large).  And the game world is still very immersive, with an item management system that really makes you think carefully about what you want to carry (bullets have weight), and a really good combat dynamic.  It's pretty satisfying to score a headshot here, which is a big difference from Fallout: New Vegas, where I would sometimes fucking unload on a dude's head in VATS and only take off half his health.  I'm not planning on writing a review for this one (I think there are several good ones already on the site), but it's definitely worth playing.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Take a breath. I need to play Call of Pripyat. Hell, I have it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree.

Underrated gem.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn

How creepy is it? Because it seems pretty damn creepy and I cannot handle that, but it seems like my type of game otherwise.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Mikemcn: There are parts that are pretty creepy, but mostly not too much.  It's not as creepy as Amnesia, Penumbra or even Shadow of Chernobyl.  Trying to put it into perspective, but I know those aren't necessarily the most common games.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Binman88

I agree with you about the plot. I was fairly disappointed with the revelation at the end.  

The STALKER series is weird for me. There's a lot of stuff in the games that I'm not a fan of, but no game has come close to giving me such an interesting and atmospheric environment to explore, that I can't help but rate it up there with my favourite games of all time. I don't even play the games as they're meant to be played - the first thing I do with each STALKER game is increase my carry-weight limit and just blaze through the entire game with cash or ammo never being a concern. I do this because I think the developers have got a lot of the mechanics/systems very wrong, and I don't really want to play the game in accordance with those systems. They improved a lot with Pripyat, but they're still a long way off what I'd ideally want from their game, and I'm not entirely sure they're going to get it right in time for STALKER 2, which worries me slightly, as it's going to be their console push with that release, and I'm not sure the console market is willing to put up with a lot of the stuff it does. Even if it tanks on consoles, I'd hope they would continue on the PC, but I don't think it's completely certain that they would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I found Shadow of Chernobyl better.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Binman88: I think we play this game very differently.  I actually like the strict weight restrictions, it makes me think long and hard about what I really need to carry (contrast it to the Gothic series, where I find myself picking up literally everything I can get my hands on without even looking at it, which leaves me lugging around like 200 weapons at a time).  I do think the game still has a bit of a rough edge to it, but all in all I was pretty happy with the experience.  Especially when I only paid ten dollars for it.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Binman88
    @mzuckerm said:
    " @Binman88: I think we play this game very differently.  I actually like the strict weight restrictions, it makes me think long and hard about what I really need to carry (contrast it to the Gothic series, where I find myself picking up literally everything I can get my hands on without even looking at it, which leaves me lugging around like 200 weapons at a time).  I do think the game still has a bit of a rough edge to it, but all in all I was pretty happy with the experience.  Especially when I only paid ten dollars for it. "
    No, I agree with you. It's not necessarily the weight restrictions that bother me, but rather the balance of the game in it's entirety. My perfect take on the game would have you similarly restricted as to what you can carry, but everything else would need a bump up in realism as well. There's nothing I want more than a truly immersive, 'realistic' game. As it stands, however, I feel like the weight restriction doesn't add to the immersion or my enjoyment of the game, but rather hinders it. I'm probably not conveying my opinion on this as best as I could, but I guess the basics of what I'm trying to say is - if you're going to make one part of your game realistic, then make everything else as realistic as possible. Just as one example: simply doing something like trying to sneak up on a camp in the pitch black darkness of night is not really a viable approach in the game, because once you are within a certain range, no matter how quiet or hidden you are, the enemies will spot you and won't lose sight of you, despite the darkness.  

So basically, my approach to the entire game is to kind of blaze through the story and action (bear in mind, I do still find a certain amount of enjoyment in those aspects of the game), and take in the game world the devs have created. Just walking around a silent Pripyat late in the evening justifies the money I spent on the game alone!
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FirePrince

You know what stopped me playing-The anomaly that brings HELL ON EARTH MOTHERFUCKER.Besides the enourmous radiation count,blood red sky and creepy iradiated spirits that were floating near me in the cave I was in,it killed me EVERY FUCKING TIME.I tried everything,it was like Satan initiated the end of the world.Can somebody explain that?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Binman88
    @FirePrince: You had to run and hide indoors - usually you could avoid death by getting as low/underground as possible, so sometimes you could survive in certain dangerous places by crouching in a hole in the ground. You would always get an update letting you know if you were safe or not - when you were safe it would say something like "stay in cover until the storm passes". 
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FirePrince
    @Binman88 said:
    " @FirePrince: You had to run and hide indoors - usually you could avoid death by getting as low/underground as possible, so sometimes you could survive in certain dangerous places by crouching in a hole in the ground. You would always get an update letting you know if you were safe or not - when you were safe it would say something like "stay in cover until the storm passes".  "

From my savegame(the only one) I could not reach any houses in time before 2012 happened, and my futile attempts of hiding in the nearest caves were treated with radiation poisoning and eventually death.I also had very little in terms of supplies,which made everything go even better.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coaxmetal

Aw man, I was hoping this was someone saying that Artistpavel's Call of Pripyat Complete mod was finished. I loved his STALKER Complete 2009 mod for SoC, made that game much better (without changing the core game). I never finished Clear Sky because it bugged out, and haven't finished CoP yet either, but I probably will when that mod comes out. Anyway, grat's, I played about 12 hours of it and had a lot of fun, seemed on par with the first one at least, and certainly better than the second. 

also 

@FirePrince said:

" @Binman88 said:

" @FirePrince: You had to run and hide indoors - usually you could avoid death by getting as low/underground as possible, so sometimes you could survive in certain dangerous places by crouching in a hole in the ground. You would always get an update letting you know if you were safe or not - when you were safe it would say something like "stay in cover until the storm passes".  "
     From my savegame(the only one) I could not reach any houses in time before 2012 happened, and my futile attempts of hiding in the nearest caves were treated with radiation poisoning and eventually death.I also had very little in terms of supplies,which made everything go even better. "
    this was a problem for me in Clear Sky, but I didn't have as much of an issue with it in CoP. (assuming 2012 means a blowout). Partially because I was obsessive about having multiple saves after bad experiences in Clear Sky, and partially because is seemed the game was somewhat better about it. 
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @Riboflavin said: 
    this was a problem for me in Clear Sky, but I didn't have as much of an issue with it in CoP. (assuming 2012 means a blowout). "
    well I guess yeah that 2012 he meant the blowout but its called emissions in CoP. And yes I agree with you having the STALKER Complete mod changes the experience alot which made me go back to playing Shadow of Chernobyl from the beginning and loved every second of it especially in exploring the creepy labs. >:D 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mzuckerm said:
    • "I will start by saying that the main plotline is pretty weak  
    • That being said, pretty much everything else about the game is really well done.    
    • Other than the main storyline, this game is a clear improvement over S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.    
    • There are a lot fewer bugs
    • the weapon upgrade system and artifact sensors are both nice new touches
    • the game is generally clearer about quest objectives, and there is a fast travel element that makes the whole world feel a bit more manageable (but still large).    
    • the game world is still very immersive with an item management system that really makes you think carefully about what you want to carry (bullets have weight), and a really good combat dynamic."
    That adds up to a review, if you ask me.  

Thanks for the heads up, anyway. I never got through Stalker, but I might try finishing it and pick up pripyat if I enjoy it enough.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mzuckerm
    @GetEveryone: Do it.  If you wait for the right Steam sale, it can be pretty cheap.  And while I haven't played through with mods, I understand that a few mods can improve the experience immensely.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By thatfrood

This is pretty much the exactly how I felt about CoP. Gameplay improved across the board, as well as sidequests. Plotline, however, was pretty retarded.
    Oh, and the voice acting is much more noticeable in CoP. In a bad way.

HOWDY HO
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikemcn
    @ThatFrood said:

" This is pretty much the exactly how I felt about CoP. Gameplay improved across the board, as well as sidequests. Plotline, however, was pretty retarded.
    Oh, and the voice acting is much more noticeable in CoP. In a bad way.

HOWDY HO "
    Awesome Video haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.