Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R - CoP Mods?

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I have been looking around and have found a few. Anyone here know any good places? Know where to get no-degrading armour and weapons mods for it?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

there aren't really any significant mods for CoP yet. None of the "realistic gun" mods are particularly good, and I think the armor and weapon degradation is handled well in this game.

The only one I might recommend is this mod that replaces the english dialogue with the russian dialogue. I find the english voice acting pretty hilariously bad in CoP, so I prefer it when its in Russian.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr
    This is where i used to find mods back when i used to play the original stalker. Haven't got around to modding pripyat yet.
      http://stalker.filefront.com/ 

@ThatFrood said:

" there aren't really any significant mods for CoP yet. None of the "realistic gun" mods are particularly good, and I think the armor and weapon degradation is handled well in this game.

The only one I might recommend is this mod that replaces the english dialogue with the russian dialogue. I find the english voice acting pretty hilariously bad in CoP, so I prefer it when its in Russian. "

i know what you mean. Sometimes its just awful, feels like im hearing a bad cartoon or something.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatfrood
    @Rowr: yeah. Their decision to translate the Russian into stuff like "hey bro!" is... interesting.
    But yeah, I just made it all the original russian and its much better.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

The worst dialogue would have to be from 'Hawaiian'.

Also, anyone else having issues involving the V-sync not working at all? CoP has horrendous screen tearing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rowr
    @ThatFrood said:

" @Rowr: yeah. Their decision to translate the Russian into stuff like "hey bro!" is... interesting. But yeah, I just made it all the original russian and its much better. "

Maybe it's their expectation that that's what a north american audience wants to hear? Could just be a strange cultural misunderstanding? Maybe they didnt put much money into it and assumed whoever was handling the translations knew what they were doing?
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatfrood
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " The worst dialogue would have to be from 'Hawaiian'.  Also, anyone else having issues involving the V-sync not working at all? CoP has horrendous screen tearing. "
    I'm not seeing very terrible screen-tearing.
    The biggest offender, graphics-wise, is the draw-distance of the bushes and grass. I mean, goddamn... a mod needs to come out soon to fix that, cuz its ridiculous.

@Rowr: yeah, I don't even know. Considering that it came to Russia and Germany, like, a year ago... and during the year in-between it was being "translated"... well, it makes me really wonder what the hell the translators were doing.

For the record, I keep pointing out these bad things in the game, but I really love this game. Probably my favorite game in a long time.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emkeighcameron

I'm loving CoP so far, just got into Pripyat (with the whole squad alive, amazingly) and it's still a lot of fun. Not as much fun as SoC, I don't think, but a damn good sequel. And WAY better than Clear Sky. Why would you want to remove weapon degradation, anyway? That's half the fun of going out on a raid into the Zone.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thatfrood
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " I'm loving CoP so far, just got into Pripyat (with the whole squad alive, amazingly) and it's still a lot of fun. Not as much fun as SoC, I don't think, but a damn good sequel. And WAY better than Clear Sky. Why would you want to remove weapon degradation, anyway? That's half the fun of going out on a raid into the Zone. "
    I feel like the game executes the whole "self-contained, dynamic world" idea the original had much better. The artifacts make more sense and the shooting and gameplay in general is a lot better.
    But I agree, it doesn't have the same sort of "mystery" as the original STALKER. You feel... safer, in CoP.

It would be really great if (and this will never happen), they could somehow combine the gameplay of CoP and the storyline and feel of SoC
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr
    @ThatFrood said:
    "For the record, I keep pointing out these bad things in the game, but I really love this game. Probably my favorite game in a long time. "
    It's a testament to how good these games are that we put up with these things.
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I have been using the Russian voice over mod, the english VA made me want to yell obscenities  at my monitor. I want my non or slow degrading weapons and armour. It just annoys me that after a few battles it degrades so much.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

The 3x view distance mod is excellent and minimal impact to performance. Also you might wanna tweak your user.ltx file (in the appdata folder) to resemble mine for better (less muddy) DOF, more accurate sun shadows, and HDR-like adjustment to darkness:

r2_dof -1.400000,0.000000,300.000000
    r2_dof_enable on
    r2_dof_kernel 2.
    r2_sun_depth_far_bias -0.00001
    r2_sun_depth_far_scale 0.99999
    r2_sun_depth_near_bias -0.
    r2_sun_depth_near_scale 0.99995
    r2_sun_details on
    r2_sun_far 100.
    r2_sun_focus on
    r2_sun_lumscale 1.0
    r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.2
    r2_sun_lumscale_hemi 0.8
    r2_sun_near 30.
    r2_sun_near_border 1.
    r2_sun_quality st_opt_medium
    r2_sun_shafts st_opt_low
    r2_sun_tsm on
    r2_sun_tsm_bias 0.
    r2_sun_tsm_proj 0.64
    r2_tonemap on
    r2_tonemap_adaptation 3.5
    r2_tonemap_amount 1.
    r2_tonemap_lowlum 0.5
    r2_tonemap_middlegray 1.
    texture_lod 0 

Always back yours up before editing it.

I also recommend the Full Upgrades mod that doesn't lock-off other upgrades once you buy one for that slot. Or one that makes the final detector show artifacts more clearly.

To force v-sync, use D3DOverrider, which is included with Riva Tuner (a tool all PC gamers should already have). Call of Pripyat originally came out in the CIS in October 2009, so quite a bit less than a year ago.

As taken from a forum post by an ex-mod of the GSC forums, Siro:

Bandits are funny, they yell "blia, ya v oslinu poimal!" which is something like "sh*t, I caught one on my thigh!" and sometimes "patsani, viruchaiteh!" which is "guys/brothers/boys (all in criminal context) get me out of this {situation}."

Which is where we get "bro" from. English needs a better word to represent this than "bro," and "nigga" just won't fly for some reason.
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phantom_Crash

Well since I could not find any non-degrading weapons mods I did it myself. I have not worked out how to make the armour not degrade though. If anyone wants the weapon one just post here and ill upload it somewhere.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

It always surprises me that users can come up with all of these useful mods, but the developers couldn't have just implemented them in the first place. The draw distance thing? C'mon, there doesn't need to be a mod for that, that should've been fixed in the game in the first place, especially if there's only a small performance hit. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

HO-LY SHIT!

If you've got the STALKER Complete 2009 mod for SoC installed already, copy all the folders inside the "gamedata\textures" folder (except "ui" and "map" sub folders) to your CoP "gamedata" folder. Make sure to leave out the "textures.ltx" file.

Since none of CoP's necessary files are missing, and none are being called for that don't already exist (textures.ltx), every lame texture that CoP shares with SoC that would be replaced by the Complete 2009 mod will be replaced by the same high-quality textures. The result is a MUCH better looking game.

edit: before

after

Click to view full size. These were taken using Full Dynamic lighting (not enhanced) and only 75% textures (using 32 bit windows). I'm also using the Atmosfear weather mod.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By PureRok
    @MrKlorox: I actually like the "before" textures more. Especially for the gun. Also, my textures don't look nearly that flat in my game. How low are your settings?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox
    @PureRok:  I'm using 32 bit windows so I'm forced to use one step below max textures (75%). I was using render R2 for those pics(FDL, not enhanced), but I usually play in R3 (DX10). The reason I used that renderer was because I was trying to figure out why the game wasn't launching while fraps was running, and I happened to be in that mode when I figured out I had to start fraps after the splash and before the fullscreen app launches. I didn't wanna restart the game yet again, especially since it has to load around 700 megs of extra textures.

You can choose not to move over the weapons sub folder, if that's your preference.

I think the terrain looks washed out and dull in the vanilla one. There was an app to let you use full textures in 32 bit for the russian release, but it doesn't work on Steam's exe. I think the gun has a lower resolution texture in the after image because the texture file has a mipmap whereas the original doesn't, which makes that one full resolution at all times(???).
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Johnny5

its weird because some of the textures in the game are really good to look at and others are kinda bleh milkshake. Like trees and snorks have pretty high res textures where as ground and steel is kinda iffy. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thatfrood
    @MrKlorox:
    HOLY CRAP! 
    Thank you for posting this!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ThatFrood:  Sure. There are a few issues with it though. Most of the C2k9 foliage is bright summer green, and most of the CoP foliage is dead fall brown. I'm gonna go though and try to remove the bright green plant textures and see how that does.  (edit: I just spent 20 minutes scouring over the Textures folder and I can't find anything resembling what I'm looking for except pine tree textures. Where are those fuckers hiding?)

The other thing is that it uses the old icons with the new textures, but that's minor.

I was initially trying to change the base terrain texture that you see in the distance, but that thing is friggin strange and confusing.

edit: I gave up on that stuff as it looks good enough. Just make sure you remove the crosshair textures from the 'wpn' folder (everything with 'crosshair' in the filename), and the Flesh textures from the 'act' folder (everything with 'plot' in the filename). If there's any other texture incompatibility, I'll post it here.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @MrKlorox: lmao they look almost the same.

How do mods work with the Steam version form what i understand you can only have one Mod occupying the gamedata folder at a time.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @MrKlorox: lmao they look almost the same.  How do mods work with the Steam version form what i understand you can only have one Mod occupying the gamedata folder at a time. "

Like I said, it I couldn't change the base terrain texture, so near things will look the most different. (edit: I just figuered out how to alter the base/distant terrain texture. Trying to make it look better by doubling the resolution and adding some noise and sharpness and stuff. Man I can't wait until megatexturing becomes standard for open world games -- and fuck Carmack for saying you can't have a day-night cycle and have the scene look excellent at all times.)

Mods work in Steam just like in non Steam versions. You create a gamedata folder then fill it with whatever you want to replace in the original game (according to file structure). You can't install two mods that change the same file, unless you integrate the changes manually with a text editor or whatever.

You can unpack the .db* files with a tool then change those up and put them in the gamedata folder, and you have a modification. Or just download the work of others, which isn't nearly as fun. But you can have as many modified gamedata files as you want.
    Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Falk

So far I'm happy with just the russian voice-over and the atmosfear mod. Hopefully a mod with better weapon models and textures is in the works.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Binman88

Anyone know if there's a zero encumbrance mod/trainer for this yet? Sure it's not realistic and makes the game way easier, but I wouldn't be playing Shadow of Chernobyl if I had a limit on what I could carry.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By spaceturtle

I have been using for my first playthrough the AtmosFear mod and a terrain texture mod, see here. And also I combined the God Rays mod for Clear Sky with the AtmosFear mod. Cause those beutiful sun beams are just to pretty lookin to only show at sunrise and at dawn. The God Rays mod and AtmosFear mod wont work together thou. So if you want both, the procedure is pretty simple but takes some time to complete. Cause there is a lot of lines to rewrite in the gamedata LTX files. 

If anyone is interested, go to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\bitComposer Games\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat\gamedata\configs\environment\weathers
    (The folder your looking for might be located elswhere on your computer depending on where you installed the game).

There you will find these LTX. files from the AtmosFear mod:  
    default_clear
    default_cloudy
    default_foggy
    default_partly
    default_rain
    default_thunder
    default_ambient

Open these in notepad and change the line:
    sun_shafts_intensity             = 0.100000
    To:
    sun_shafts_intensity             = 0.300000

You will notice that the "sun_shaft_intensity" line appears 24 times in each of those files because of the 24 hours that is in a day, of course. Its a pain in the ass to change all of those, but its totaly worth it!

The Atmosfear mod does not have "=0.100000" as a default, but thats the value you'll see most of in the LTX files, so I just used that as an example. At some hours the sun shaft intensity might be set to "=0.500000" then I wouldnt recommend setting a lesser value (for example "=0.300000") if what you want to achive is more visible sun rays. So keep in mind, the value that is at the end of the sun_shaft_intensity line will determine how visible them sun rays will be.

This of course requires you already have AtmosFear mod installed. And you have to make sure the sun rays are turned on in the in-game options. I dont know if there is any other way to combine those to mods without opening the LTX files in notepad and enter the values yourself, but this is how I did it, and like I've already said, its absolutely worth it!  =)

OH, and for those of you who didnt know, the 3x view distance is already included in the atmosfear mod. ;)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
    @SPACETURTLE:  In the foggy one, I found it best to change all 0.3 sunrays to 0.1, 0.4 to 0.2, and 0.5 to 0.3. This is because when sunshafts are on, you can still see the shadows of objects that are supposed to be entirely occluded by fog. I spent hours messing with the sun shadow and far plane only to realize that sunshafts were what I needed to adjust.

I use the freeware version of the program "Beyond Compare" to merge mods like you mentioned. It's much easier to copy a whole line over with a single click than finding each line and changing a value manualy.

Sun Shafts are a huuuge hit to system performance on most cards, which is the reason people get low frame rates at sunrise (most sunshafts in this time period by default) that fade out by noon. Also you're gonna need to adjust your various luminance levels to compensate for the extra glow if you add shafts to all presets.

No, the 3x view distance isn't already included in the Atmosfear mod. It's just that in some of the weathers in Atmosfear, the far_plane is at or higher than it is in the 3x view mod, whereas in other weathers it's considerably lower than 3x.

@Binman88: I'm sure it's like all previous stalker games. You have to edit two lines in two files (one is actor.ltx and the other I'm not sure of. You can find this info all over the net. But for CoP it's totally not necessary since there are suit upgrades and artifacts that allow you to carry MUCH MUCH more than before. Have patience and you will come across one.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spaceturtle
    @MrKlorox:
    Yeah, I've noticed the problem with the shadowing since I cranked up the sun shaft values. But I could never find the time or the energy to start figuring it out. So thanks, I will try out the values you recommended. Guess that will sort it out for me too! =)
    Btw, the texture modding you've done looks nice! Hows it going with that distant texture you mentioned you had figured out how to alter? Getting any good results?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox
    @SPACETURTLE said:
    " Btw, the texture modding you've done looks nice! Hows it going with that distant texture you mentioned you had figured out how to alter? Getting any good results? "
    Thanks, but really all the work was already done by the Complete 2009 team. I did find the texture and found out how to separate the masks and edit one, but my actual artistic skills are too lacking. I spent about 5 hours in GIMP last night trying different noise filters and resizing images. But all the changes I've tried ended up making it look worse or identical. Maybe I need to find a good image enhancement plugin like they use on CSI or other similar live-action crime investigation cartoons.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spaceturtle
    @MrKlorox: 
    I'll be sure to ask Horatio next time Im in Miami to pass me that plugin on a flash drive so I can send it to you.
    Of course he would have to keep his sunglasses ON! Im not staying less than one mile away from that man when he brings out those eyes. Things just tend to get too serious when he takes them glasses off... 

When it comes to altering textures and adding new ones and what not, I have no clue. I would like to know how its done thou. I've had plans to take a closer look at how to alter textures, but again, time and energy is against me.

Ah, Beyond Compare, nice!  When I was changing those sun shaft values all I was thinking was; there really should be a program that could make this easier... Excellent! Now modding wont be so time consuming. And your absolutely right! When I come to think of it, the 3x view distance mod is NOT included in the atmosfear mod. Like you said, it differs depending on the weather . I didnt really think that one through. Cause at first I actually merged the 3x view distance with the atmosfear mod. But I quickly realised that I enjoyed the variation the atmosfear mod gave me. Have you increased the far_plane value on all the weather files together with the atmosfear mod? In other words, merge the 3x with atmosfear. Or did you do like me, stick with the far_plane values that came with AtmosFear? Like I said, I enjoy the variation. Gives the whole weather system a more dynamic feel.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
    @SPACETURTLE:  To start editing textures, first get yourself a copy of GIMP and the .dds file plugin. After installing them, you will be able to edit directx compressed (.dds) textures in GIMP.

Now you might want to unpack some of the resource.db* files in the resources folder to have some textures to mess with. Grab the Clear Sky db unpacker (works on CoP too) and extract it somewhere (say in a folder called 'unpacker located in your CoP steam folder for example). Open the command prompt via your Start>Run box by typing CMD and pressing enter. Now browse to the folder you put the unpacker/converter within the command prompt by first typing the drive letter it's located in and a colon (for me it would be ' D:') and pressing enter. Then to change the directory, type ' cd ' followed by the path to the unpacker folder containing converter.exe surrounded by quotes (mine would look like ' cd "Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\unpacker" ').

Now you should be inside the right directory. Type ' converter.exe -unpack -xdb "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\resources\resources.db0" ' and the contents of resources.db0 will be unpacked to a folder inside the unpacker folder called "resources". The contents can then be altered and placed inside your gamedata folder using the existing structure.

That should get you started. When saving, select RGBA8 before selecting BC3/DXT5 and make sure mipmaps isn't checked. Otherwise it'll end up all funky lookin or unreadable by the game. The terrain texture for Zaton is in the levels.db1 archive.

Quick recap: (use your own appropriate paths, and remember you can right-click and paste instead of typing everything out)
    Start>Run: CMD <enter>
    D: <enter>
    cd "Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\unpacker" <enter>
    converter.exe -unpack -xdb "Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\levels\levels.db1" <enter>
    (browse to "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\unpacker\levels" and dig for files)

On the weathers, I wanted to make Partly Cloudy use 75% of Clear's far_plane and fog distance, since cloudy is already 50% and I noticed that they were already both higher than the values of the 3x distance mod. The only far plane I spent a lot of time messing with was on foggy. I tried lowering it to fix the shaft shadow problem, but that didn't help. However I did end up keeping a super near fog distance on that setting once I lowered the sun shafts, for the Silent Hill effect. I also changed the dynamic_weather_graphs to 0.2 for each, except rain/thunder which are at 0.1 each.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By bacongames

So far I installed the Svarog Detector, starting with all tools, all upgrades being open, selling any condition to vendor, Atmosfear, and the silent scientist bunker door.  No problems at all and no crashes since I started a new game.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spaceturtle
    @MrKlorox: 
    Whoo... Its a lot if info to take in. I've so far only gotten to the point where I've installed GIMP and the .dds plugin and just played around with the program. Not too much yet thou. And since I havent spend that much time in GIMP yet, I havent really figured out how it works. But from what I've seen so far, it looks like its based around the same principles as Photoshop. Would you say that is correct? And would it be possible to use Photoshop instead of GIMP to do texture editing? That is of course if the dds.plugin is comptible with Photoshop.

Oh, and thanks AGAIN for the sweet info!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox
    @SPACETURTLE:  Yeah, GIMP is essentially a GNU licensed Photoshop. If you're already familiar with Photoshop and have a copy of that installed, Nvidia has a dds plugin for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.