Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call Of Pripyat (Зов Припяти) is the third game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise, and picks up shortly after the events of the original game. Call of Pripyat takes elements from both the original game and the prequel, Clear Sky, and is generally considered the most polished and most accessible game in the series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Permadeth Runthrough

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm currently doing a permadeath runthrough of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. permadeath runthrough that I thought some of you guys might find interesting. I'll be updating it at least every week

www.metzopaino.wordpress.com

Here are some examples: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

this is very cool, I like reading these! Keep it up!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Is that even possible? I'm not sure of the difficulty in Call of Pripyat but in the previous Stalkers a permadeath run would last like 5 minutes lol.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatfrood

yeah, he's playing on rookie. Even then, I have to imagine an anomaly or a bloodsucker could get a surprise death in.  

Oh! But by the way! That Noah guy? After he fires those two shotgun rounds, you can go walk up to him and talk to him. He's just a weirdo, that's how he opens his door. 

Some of the "bloodsucker sighting" photos are great.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Metzo_Paino

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, it's the best motivation to want to continue.

There have been some very close calls, I still don't know how to play very well as I'm avoiding all guides because I think it makes it more entertaining. It's a great game though, full of atmosphere. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Geno

I've been reading through Chapter 1 and it's really great! Reminds me of my experience with Shadow of Chernobyl, I also remember how scary the first bloodsucker in these games are hehe. And why do people insist going into dark, dangerous underground places, dragging you along with them >.> 

Btw, I've been going through your photo gallery by editing the URL, I found that picture 44 is mislabeled as "441": http://metzopaino.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/chapter-1-441.jpg. You can change it to be consistent I guess.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By gike987

I wouldn't want to go near buriers on a permadeth runthrough. I hate those annoying Yoda wannabes.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thatfrood

It is indeed a great game. If only it didn't have those atmosphere-breaking "howdy ho"s. 
    And, by the way, just to be sure you know, early in the game (and even useful later in the game), it is very useful to throw bolts around (bound to the 6 key) to expose anomalies. You just sort of throw them about and, when they hit an anomaly, you make note of it and... don't go there. 

With that knowledge, here is what you ought to do: go to various anomaly locations that are marked on your map. Pull out your detector. On the detector you should likely see a dot. This is an artifact. Throw bolts about to expose deadly anomalies and navigate your way towards the artifact. When you get close, it should appear in front of you. 
    You should be very careful, but after doing this several times at different anomaly sites, you should have plenty of money after selling the artifact's to beard. Be sure to check if he has any contracts out on any, as he will give you more money for them, then. 

Oh, also, after you collect an artifact from a certain location, that location won't have any artifacts until the next blowout. So keep searching new areas.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987

My tips is to always carry a shotgun to protect against mutants, especially hamsters.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thatfrood

FUCKING HAMSTERS. 
    ye' I agree with grike. You can mod a sawn-off to only weigh 1 kilo. Do that, then carry about 20 or so shells. 
    Cuz yeah, until you get a three-shot pistol, those things are buggers.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189

Did you ever read the Farcry 2 one?

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By spaceturtle

Hah! Nice, Im loving it!

Arcavial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arcavial

One bit of advice I'd give, though this may come out a far more jack-ass than I intend, is to pay more attention to the guys/quests. Based on the captions, you're missing quite a few details. Like, the guy that lead you into the bloodsucker lair isn't the missing stalker, he the guy that hired you to find 'em. You'd also know the identity of the dude that shot himself and that he just killed that same stalker who lead you into the bloodsuckers. Its nothing major, but it would probably help with the immersion and story a bit. Sorry if this came out condescending and/or with major jack-ass levels, but I thought some of the little details were great, and it'd be sad if you missed them.

Also, that starting sunrise suit is one of my favorites. Its not great on protection, but its the lightest armor in the game, gives you a carry boost, and when you put those together you get some major sprint duration when you aren't carrying much. 

Last note, I love this. That feeling of fear and how frantic it gets reminds me of my first days diving into stalker with SoC. Awesome stuff, hope you live on to the end!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Holy crap dude. You picked a GREAT and almost impossible game to play Permadeath style, especially having zero previous STALKER experience. I think that will be the hardest challenge to overcome.

Your detector detects artifacts (sell for cash or equip once you find good ones) which reside inside anomalies (the various elemental oddities). Artifacts are invisible unless you have your detector ready. There are various detectors in the game and an easy one to get is right near where you started off: to the north east where the huge cracks in the ground are (rescue the dude - have a medkit handy). Retreiving artifacts does not dispell the anomaly and they will eventually spawn new artifacts after time.

In the lake where Beard asked you to grab the artifact inside the ship, there is rippling water than moves around, near a metal pipe at the back. That is an artifact that will become grabbable once you use your detector. However it's surrounded by anomalies that will suck you in and implode you; these are represented by a patch of swirling leaves.

Reading chapter 2 now. I hope you continue to play after your first death. Good luck!

edit: The medic was the cannibal who shot himself. You missed out on some story elements by stumbling onto him in that shack. Also don't give Snag his box back. Instead give it to Cardan (the mechanic who can repair and mod/upgrade all your stuff if you get him drunk with 2 vodkas) to open for you to keep the contents.

@Arcavial

said:

" but its the lightest armor in the game "

I thought Wind of Freedom suit was the lightest.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Johnny5

Just finished the game on Master,  most of the game I didnt need to worry about dieing but I did have the one or two areas where I'd die like 3 times before getting it right >>

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Johnny5 said:
    " Just finished the game on Master,  most of the game I didnt need to worry about dieing but I did have the one or two areas where I'd die like 3 times before getting it right >> "
    But have you played a Stalker game before?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

Okay, maybe it's just me...but what the fuck is a "permadeath run"?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Binman88
    @jakob187:  Probably playing through it until he dies. Once he dies, the playthrough ends?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @Binman88 said:
    " @jakob187:  Probably playing through it until he dies. Once he dies, the playthrough ends? "
    No offense to anyone at all...but if that is SERIOUSLY what it is...that's dumb.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Johnny5
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Johnny5 said:
    " Just finished the game on Master,  most of the game I didnt need to worry about dieing but I did have the one or two areas where I'd die like 3 times before getting it right >> "
    But have you played a Stalker game before? "
    Yes, I did play the original, but I never finished it.  Although @jakob187 , no way, in this day and age  death is portrayed so casually. Its a lot more suspensful if it actually has some effect. Then again I dont think STALKER is the best game for a permadeath run because of how invisible anomlies can instantly kill you early on! lol 

Thats probably the worst part, invisible anomalies, and having a crappy detector early on :P
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Fallen189:  Do you have a link to this? I'm interested.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Johnny5 said:

" Then again I dont think STALKER is the best game for a permadeath run because of how invisible anomlies can instantly kill you early on! lol  Thats probably the worst part, invisible anomalies, and having a crappy detector early on :P "

That's why it is THE best game for premadeath if you ask me... as long as it's played on rookie by a Stalker rookie. The game is fucking brutal and leaves you to learn fast or die. But at the same the devs actually made the difficulty settings make a real difference in this release. He can run through a whirlygig and live to learn not to do that again. If it was on normal, he'd die and the playthrough goal would be over. If he already knew how to survive the zone then yeah normal or hard would be more viable settings.

I always thought the permadeath mode in Diablo II was dumb.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Fallen189
    @Mmmslash said:

" @Fallen189:  Do you have a link to this? I'm interested. "

http://drgamelove.blogspot.com/2009/12/permanent-death-complete-saga.html
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cap123

really enjoying it so far! more please! :)

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By bacongames

I really wish I could have been there to say stuff because MAN there are some (justifiably so) rookie mistakes going on.  Stuff that I could never imagine doing not only putting 50 hours into Shadow of Chernobyl, but 10-15 in Clear Sky and 50 again in Call of Pripyat.

Anomalies are permanent regarding their location and artifacts require an exposed detector to make appear.  That and more advanced detectors expose more advanced artifacts.  My biggest tip though, FIND TOOLS!  Tools for Basic Work can be found in the Sawmill and can be given to Cardan in Skadovsk.  Once you give him vodka (unique to his character though) he can upgrade any item you give him.  However tools for fine work and calibration are needed to upgrade items to Tier 2 and 3.  Oh and that stash at the burnt farmstead that you ran away from is up the ladder.  It's a choice Vintar BC sniper rifle.

Other than that I can't say more because I would be leading your hand.  Really weird seeing the game being played by a newcomer.  I will say you made the right choice by choosing novice because you would have died by now if you played any other difficulty (I die many times at the Mercenary mission).

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Fallen189: Thanks a bunch, broski.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Johnny5
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Johnny5 said:

" Then again I dont think STALKER is the best game for a permadeath run because of how invisible anomlies can instantly kill you early on! lol  Thats probably the worst part, invisible anomalies, and having a crappy detector early on :P "

That's why it is THE best game for premadeath if you ask me... as long as it's played on rookie by a Stalker rookie. The game is fucking brutal and leaves you to learn fast or die. But at the same the devs actually made the difficulty settings make a real difference in this release. He can run through a whirlygig and live to learn not to do that again. If it was on normal, he'd die and the playthrough goal would be over. If he already knew how to survive the zone then yeah normal or hard would be more viable settings.  I always thought the permadeath mode in Diablo II was dumb. "
    Well I think you're right, but the game isnt balanced so if you treated it like real life you kinda wouldnt do much at all lol.  

Like I thought to myself, is this a game i can play as if it was real life. Not really because I'd probably go "nu uh I aint going in there, I just saw that shadow move, get fucked"
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Geno
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " @jakob187:  Probably playing through it until he dies. Once he dies, the playthrough ends? "
    No offense to anyone at all...but if that is SERIOUSLY what it is...that's dumb. "
    Some people would call it immersive. For an already immersive game like Stalker, this provides an unparalleled game experience, as well as a cool photo journal for us to flip through. 
    Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Metzo_Paino
    Chapter 3 is up!

@Geno said:

" Btw, I've been going through your photo gallery by editing the URL, I found that picture 44 is mislabeled as "441":  http://metzopaino.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/chapter-1-441.jpg. You can change it to be consistent I guess. "

Thanks, I'll get right on that@Fallen189 said:

" Did you ever read the Farcry 2 one? "

Yeah, Anthony Burch's ramblings got me interested in it and then reading it I thought I would have a go myself.

@Binman88 said:

You're right.@jakob187 said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    No offense to anyone at all...but if that is SERIOUSLY what it is...that's dumb. "
    Actually, as has been said already, I find playing this way to be very rewarding, it adds a new twist on gameplay and ramps up the tension and atmosphere. Plus it means i don't have to save as often.

Thanks for all the advice, though i must admit i haven't been reading it. I feel one of the most interesting factors is that I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but it will be interesting to come back here once its over and realise all the dumb things I did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.