Will it crash?

#1 Edited by metalsnakezero (2269 posts) -

I'm thinking about getting this game but from my experience with the last STALKER (1st one) where it kept crashing on me makes afraid of this one.  I want to make sure with people here who had played this STALKER that both I can run it and will it crash.
Spec
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
CPU speed 2.40 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.2 GHz
RAM 2.0 GB  
GeForce 8800 GTS with 320.0 MB video ram

#2 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

It runs alot more smoothly than previous games in the series (isn't saying much though i guess). Hasn't crashed on me in the 4 hours i've played of it, and i've heard from other people that it's quite stable so far.

Will it Crash? Maybe, but not as frequently as the last 2 games it seems.

#3 Posted by Snail (8467 posts) -

I don't know whether it will crash or not, but you should get a new processor and graphics card.

#4 Posted by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -

It didn't crash once for me and my hardware isn't great.

#5 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I had a crash when i first loaded my fist save, which was after 30mins. Ever since that I have had no issues at all.

#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if it did crash considering it was recently released. Eastern Bloc games are notorious for being buggy but after patching the game up it should be worth it. That said, the orginal STALKER still crashes on my PC.

#7 Posted by snide (2394 posts) -
@metalsnakezero: Have yet to have it crash. CoP is very stable.
#8 Posted by TMThomsen (2068 posts) -
@snide: Can you give a quick review, Snide?
#9 Posted by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -
@TMThomsen said:
" @snide: Can you give a quick review, Snide? "
yessss, CoP all over the front page of giantbomb!
#10 Posted by TMThomsen (2068 posts) -
@ThatFrood:  Yeah, but I guess he's been playing more than 30 minutes. :P I'm thinking about buying it... the Steam offer is quite tempting.
#11 Edited by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -
@TMThomsen: get iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, a better blend of rpg and fps I know not of.
#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11185 posts) -

I've only had one random crash in the entire time I spent on my first (Russian version) play through. 

I just had one happen in the English version when starting a new game after having just played a couple hours in an existing one. But really, how many times you gonna start your game over without quitting out entirely?

#13 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" @TMThomsen: get iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, a better blend of rpg and fps I know not of. "
So not only have you answered the question of "will it crash?" but you've also answered "will it blend?"

Sterling work, chaps.
#14 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I've spend about 30 to 35 hours on this game. And it havent crashed on me ONCE! So no, I dont think it will crash to much on you either then.

#15 Posted by Johnny5 (1353 posts) -

Ive played it for god knows how long, yet to crash. Frame rate can be inconsistent but its not that bad. 

#16 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

about 2 hrs in no problems so far.

#17 Posted by metalsnakezero (2269 posts) -

Got the game today and boy it runs a lot better than the 1st one. Thank you all for your encouragement in making me buy this including Master of russian games, Dave.

#18 Posted by Sil3n7 (1140 posts) -

Hasn't crashed for me. Seems really stable.

#19 Posted by Death_Burnout (3767 posts) -

Seems to crash everytime i "load last save" after dying...

#20 Edited by MrKlorox (11185 posts) -
@Death_Burnout:  edit: oops, disregard last post. Have you tried pressing the quickload key before pressing spacebar after dying?
#21 Edited by Death_Burnout (3767 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

" @Death_Burnout:  edit: oops, disregard last post. Have you tried pressing the quickload key before pressing spacebar after dying? "

As long as i dont die i'll be fine. Kinda makes dying more damn dangerous.

I run the game in pretty low settings, my hefty machine can never seem to run stalker well, but with games like Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent, Crysis (never like bringing that game up in a system discussion...ugh) my machine runs silky smooth most of the time.

Its a shame cus only played 45 minutes of the first game, before i couldnt take the constant crashing anymore, never played clear sky, and now with this i was stoked to hear it actually might work for me, because i fucking love Stalker in concept, but it still has problems.

I like to think all of the stalker games have also suffered radiation and that they are full of anomalies (bugs) and that my computer can suffer a "blowout" haha

Edit: oops, Nah i haven't tried that yet, i shall do, i went back to the menu on all times

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.