Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

Be sure you play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Oblivion Lost and Float 32.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Demilich

Never has a mod made a game so much better than Oblivion Lost.

Neopezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Neopezz

If you are to lazy to Google it I give you. Oblivion Lost
    That has more information on what the mod is and does to the game. The changes are significant and do make the game better.

Highlights of the mod

1. INTERACTIVE FACTION WARS
    2. RANDOM WEATHER
    3. NEW WEAPONS
    4. FREEPLAY (after you beat the game you can continue playing)
    5. BLOWOUTS Occur randomly
    6. SLEEPING
    7. VEHICLES

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scorched

looks cool
    I'll have to check that out

Dib9394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Dib9394

I just have a question. Does it collide with Weather Overhaul and graphical enhancement mods and mini-mods?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demilich

It might, but it encompasses all of that anyway, so you wouldn't need Weather Overhaul anymore.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EntwineX

It's great, but I wouldn't recommend it for the first playthrough, it makes the game alot harder.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Demilich

I would recommend it on the first play through. So you don't get bored and quit forever.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich

That's fair. I did just that. (Didn't like Vanilla)

Dib9394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dib9394

So which is better? AMK or Oblivion Lost?

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Guiltyspark

that mod is garbage

it makes the game nearly impossible to finish

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rowr

Yeh i didnt like it. Too many distractions.
    I like the Vanilla Stalker with the mods to fix gameplay.

I grabbed a whole selection of mods and mixed them

A realistic lighting mod, which makes it bullshit dark.
    Made the flashlights have longer beams.
    Made the AI less ridiculously aware (so you can actually sneak up on someone rather than them see you from miles away.
    A mod to make the day night cycle better and the shadows move appropriately.
    + others.

All these made the game awesomely scary and atmospheric.

Also check out the ABC mod if your happy with content changes. Its pretty dam impressive.

http://stalker.filefront.com/

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By xruntime
    Demilich said:
    "I would recommend it on the first play through. So you don't get bored and quit forever.
    "
    That's precisely why I stopped playing.
    Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Fade2Gray

Any mod that could increase the ridiculously minuscule inventory weight capacity and/or improve stamina would drastically improve this game.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demilich

OL improves your endurance, but I don't think your capacity. I might be wrong.

Dib9394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dib9394

I just installed Oblivion Lost 2.2 (for 1.0004) and made Weather Overhaul 2.2.2. compatible with it. It's awesome! Makes STALKER have a lot of unexpected action!

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demilich

OL has some drastic weather changes already, so that's kind of overkill, but as long as they are compatible it's ok. It definitely makes the game much better. Nothing quite says night time like pitch blackness.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By dagas

Does it make the game more like ES4: Oblivion or is it called Oblivion Lost for some other reason? I would love a mod that made it more like Oblivion with an open world where I can do the main quest if I like or I can just explore and do side quests. I was looking forward to Stalker ever since I read about it back in 2002, but even though I've tried playing it a couple of times I just can't stand it and quit. Far Cry 2 seems to be what I thought Stalker would be (and thus totally awesome), but in FC2 you are in Africa which is not as cool as Chernobyl.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demilich

Oblivion Lost was the original suffix for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. No relation to TESIV.

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

new stalker game get poor reviews, very dissapionting

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demilich

Your technique is slipping with your grammar. 0/10.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By xruntime

How does this make the game less boring, Demilich? From what the other user said, it just looks like a bunch of weather effects and other graphical enhancements, and very few actual gameplay changes?

The vehicles are the main thing that look interesting.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dagas
    Demilich said:
    "Oblivion Lost was the original suffix for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. No relation to TESIV."
    yeah I just remembered they changed the name a few years ago. So it seems to improve the game a bit, but I wish there was a way to implement the freeplay feuture from the start and not from after you've finished the game. I usually like to follow a point A to point B story, but this game would be so much better being like FC2/TES4 instead of HL2.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demilich
    xruntime said:
    "How does this make the game less boring, Demilich? From what the other user said, it just looks like a bunch of weather effects and other graphical enhancements, and very few actual gameplay changes?

The vehicles are the main thing that look interesting."
    It doesn't make the game less boring if that's what you think, so if it is go play something else. But if you are open to trying new things, OL adds the following (Copied from the readme);

FREEPLAY

- Although you can follow the storyline, it is not necessary, you can explore all levels without completing them, but you must have the decoder to be able to get to Monolith Control and NPP Stancia2.
    - Removed the scripted blowout from Stancia1 and the dead zone from Stancia2, so you can explorate the whole Power Plant.
    - The last portal teleports the actor to the court, so the game is open-ended, you can make your way back to the previous levels.
    - New level changers (NPP Stancia2 to Control Room, Control Room to Sarcophagus, Sarcophagus to NPP Stancia1, NPP Stancia1 to Pripyat, Cordon'to Dark Valley).

A-LIFE

- Now almost everything can happen, there's a chance to meet any NPC on any level.
    - Sometimes the army raids, sometimes they don't, this is totally random, too.
    - The mutants are making their way through the Zone in big hordes.
    - The mutants are entering places where they could not enter before, so there's an increased chance to meet them in npc populated areas.
    - Sometimes you may happen upon unique situations, it can be very hard or even funny.
    - You will not have the same situations 2 times on the same level.
    - The respawn can be very random, there's a chance to meet different types of mutants then before.
    - The bugs of the older versions and the vanilla bugs have been corrected, now you won't see any failed quests and Quest NPC's who die before you can complete their quests, also the vanilla respawn is working properly and balanced.

FACTION WARS

- There's a chance to meet any faction in any level, also it's totally random.
    - A message will give you notice about the random events.
    - The Military attacks the bandits in the carpark.
    - The Military attacks the loners and the bandits in the Hangar.
    - You can meet Mercenaries in Agroprom.
    - The Duty and the Military attacks Borov's base.
    - The Freedom attacks the Duty base.
    - The Military sometimes attacks Rostok Wild Territory.
    - The Duty attacks the Freedom base.
    - All factions try to reach the center of the Zone, and there's a chance to some of them become zombified by the Psy Emission.

REALISM

- All weapons are stronger and well-balanced.
    - Almost to all weapons are able to attach addons.
    - Added realistic sounds to the weapons, rounds, ammos, materials and environment.
    - NPC's can bleed, if they are hurt they fall down to the ground and if they don't receive any medkits within a minute, then they die.
    - Bandages and foods don't heal the actor.
    - The average bleeding doesn't stop by itself, only the minor.
    - Added realistic head-bobbing to the actor when he is heavily wounded.
    - Well-balanced armor degradation.
    - The crosshair is reduced to a dot.
    - New sniper weapon scopes.
    -There is a huge difference between day and night, you can sneak in the pitch black, but it's not very easy, I had to make a compromise between a good stealth and bugfree npc behaviour.
    - If the actor turns on the flashlight at night, then his enemies spot him immediately.
    - Reduced the sound volume of the Knife, now it's a dangerous and invisible weapon during night, presumably the NPC's won't notice the actor if he is smart enough.
    - The quality of the weapons which are looted from corpses is generally very bad.

NEW WEAPONS

- BM16 Long Rifle
    - M-134 Minigun
    - AK-47

REWORKED AI

- The npc's can avoid anomalies.
    - The npc's can throw grenades.
    - The npc's can use medkits, heal themselves and each other.
    - The npc's can upgrade and replace their armor and they will collect suits and weapons found laying about.
    - There are no dead npc's around campfires, but if someone dies near one, the campers will drag the corpse away.

RE-ENABLED CONTROLLER AI

- The controller can take control on the npc's and lead them against his enemies.
    - If an npc is inside the controller's aura, then he will immediately become zombified.
    - When the controller dies, then "controlled" npc's will return to normal.

WEATHER

- There are 24 hour cycle weathers in all levels.
    - The night is dark and scary.
    - Restored the Sun and the Moon.
    - Atmospheric sky textures.
    - In NPP Stancia2 the weather is always rainy and cloudy, it fits in to the atmosphere of the Nuclear Plant.

BLOWOUT

- The blowout is totally random, you never know when it will happen.
    - So there are many hideouts in each level, but carrying antirad is very important.
    - The npc's are running to hideouts, while being attacked - they fire back, at the end of blowout - they return to usual places. They protect the hideouts from enemies.
    - The strength of the blowout is always stronger and stronger if you are closer to the NPP. In the NPP blowouts are deadly, you must runn down to the Sarcophagus as soon as you can.
    - The mutants lie on the ground during the high radiation sequence of blowouts, they feel pain from that.
    - More mutants will appear after blowout and give madness to the environment.
    - Artifacts will birth from anomalies after blowout.
    - The blowout will continue if you save and load the game or move to an other level, you can't bypass it.

DYNAMIC ANOMALIES

- The anomalies change their positions after blowouts.
    - Stronger anomalies can appear and they will be very deadly.
    - Be careful of them if you are driving cars, now the routine which you learn in the vanilla game is useless.

DYNAMIC HUD

- Player's field of view lowers when you wear suits with masks, condensation effect (glass becomes covered with moisture)

ARTIFACT TRANSMUTATION

- It's a kind of alchemy, as you can see in other rpg games. You can modify artifacts by placing them in the proper anomaly, but be careful, you can ruin them too. There are "recipts" hidden in the zone, and you need to find them, or get them with completing quests. These papers contain the solution for creating unique items, so you should carefully read them. There are different levels for artifacts, each with new features. If you are lucky, you will be able to create a new artifact with unique properties.

SLEEPING

- Now Marked One gets tired after 30 hours of action: it begins to double your vision, etc. If you continue to play and will not sleep, Marked One will fall asleep approximately after 6 hours.
    - You can't sleep for a while if you had an energy drink.
    - You can't sleep during blowout.
    - To sleep, use the sleeping bag in your inventory..

MUTANTS

- Added all cutout mutants (Dwarf, Chimera, Cat, Zombie, Izlom)
    - They have many different types of skins.
    - Added the Psy Dog as a new mutant (with attack effector).
    - Two boss enemy characters (Burer and Koshei) - they are tougher and have stronger attacks then the usual mutants.

VEHICLES

- Added all drivable vehicles (Niva, Zaz, Kamaz, Tractor, UAZ, BTR, Moskvich).
    - The vehicles don't float.
    - Well-balanced driving properties.
    - Added realistic engine and gear sounds to the UAZ.

MISCELLANEOUS

- Replaced main menu music.
    - Main menu from the 2215 beta.
    - Added the "Turn on the engine" to the options/controls.
    - Added the AMK Options menu, you can disable the Suit HUD visors.
    - NPC's can buy anything from the actor but in very low prices.
    - All traders can repair.
    - New stalker and weapon textures.
    - Additional skins for stalkers and bandits.
    - Traders sell their supplies at very high prices, but they pay very low prices for everything, now they are well-balanced.
    - Finding a medkit is not so easy, also it's very expensive to purchase them.
    - Shootable crows.
    - You can place markers on the pda map with GPS.
    - Reworked the helicopter AI. Now they use rockets and will sometimes use evasive maneuvers. If the pilot loses the player from it's FOV (Field of Vision), then it will halt it's attack and fly away.
    - Antigas armors enabled.
    - The npc's can play the harmonica.
    - Alcolholism, don't drink too much vodka.
    - Replaced some dialog sounds to russian.
    - Added some songs to the camping stalkers.
    - Sidequests and autoquests have no time limit.
    - You can obtain the quests again after 1 day.
    - In standard task of the "Kill stalker" type, now, there are several ways to end task - victim can pay for its life.
    - A lot of vanilla bugfixes.

I'd say it makes a difference.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Rowr

too much difference imo :|

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dagas

After having played Oblivion Lost for some time I must say it's a great mod. I'm impressed with how they managed to fix the game so fast compared to other mods that are supposed to fix a game like KotOR 2 Restoration Project which still has not been released after about four years of work. It makes a game that I considered to be the most disappointing game of 2007 and makes it a great and very playable game. STALKER just went from a 2/5 to a 4/5 in my book.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By atejas

I want to try vanilla STALKER first. What mods fix the prescient AI and shitty graphics(already have Float32 and getting weather overhaul atm)
    Oh, and sorry about the necropost.

kiaowas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kiaowas

OK. I too have been playing OL mod for sometime. And I've made some modifications myself. I think it gets about 15 out of 20 things right. It does make the zone a more intense and varied place to be with much longer playability. So as a whole, I like it. BUT : I hate the new blue stalker suits (what?! yuk!!). The new placement of anomolies really pisses me off. I think Kanylos (or whatever) has really gone OVERKILL with the new monsters (Some off them were axed for a good reason- the wildcats/pumas look crap ...and the dwarfs...hahahaha!!!!!). The helicopters and army spawning after you do the mission in Yantar REALLY piss me off - I dont want to carry around an RPG through the bloody game! A little thought and subtlety would have been appreciated with alot of these things. But it's been cranked up to 11.
    Anyway - despite all these quibbles, I did enjoy it much more than vanilla.
    AMK mod? - nice concept - more true to the Tarkovsky / Strugatsky brothers vision...but shite. Doesn't have OL level changers, which become compulsory after getting used to OL.  And the weapons accuracy  and damage had me uninstalling it very fast in outright frustration.

Far Cry 2?? mmmm.....just finished.....And wow! - A PROPER OPEN WORLD ( NO LEVEL CHANGERS....like was promised originally for stalker....no more 6 bandits spawning directly behind you! )
    Just wish I could mod the damage system like STALKER because I'm getting sick off putting 2 clips of ammo into an enemy and they're still alive and getting up.....oh, Come on!! And your buddy mercenary clothes...some off them look more like glam rockstars than hardened mercs. But the games got that ' this was designed for the PS2 and Xbox market' touch to it.

Recommend to get some nice new rookie skins for newbies for whatever version you're playing. And don't touch Faction Wars mod till you been through game at least once...unless you want to meet all the main NPCs dead! Reality Enhancement Mod is good for vanilla. Filefronts got loads of mods and skins and sh*t.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.