Crash on Everything

#1 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I don't know whether you guys can help me with this but since these are the only forums I visit, I thought I'd ask here before going any other place. I just downloaded STALKER:SoC last night because I thought "Hey, I haven't played that game in several years and I never got more than a few hours into it, so I should probably give it another shot." So, I downloaded the game from my Steam account and it seems to be fine at first glance. It loads up without a problem but as soon as I try to do anything within the game, it freezes. Change the resolution, it freezes. Attempt to change graphics settings, it freezes. Try to start a new game (this is a pretty big one), it freezes. I literally can't do anything other than look at the main menu without it freezing. I've downloaded this game at least once before and I've never had this problem, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice?

All I've tried to do so far is verify the game cache through Steam, which didn't fix anything.

#2 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Get Stalker Complete 2009. That should fix the freezing because the game was notoriously unstable when it was released and that mod is actually a complication of performance enhancements, bug fixes and updated graphics which makes the experience a lot better all round.

If that doesn't fix the freezing then it's probably your graphics card drivers which need updating.

#3 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Might check the steam forums/tech services. As I bought Stalker SoC not on steam I didn't have any problems running it.

#4 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Make sure all your graphics drivers are up to date. Short of that, there's a thousand reasons why STALKER might be crashing. Notoriously buggy game on a notoriously buggy engine. Could be a memory management issue. There are some fixes for that.

If you really want to get specific about it, use BugTrap.

#5 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I can confirm that Stalker Complete is awesome. It didn't really optomize the game unfortunately...but maybe my new processor will handle it better. Aw man, look what you've made me do :(

#6 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Stalker Complete is ridiculously overrated. It's always praised as something that fixes everything with the STALKER games. It didn't fix the one big issue I had with Chernobyl which was the buggy/broken quests that Sidorovich, Barkeep, and some Freedom/Duty guys give you. As for the Stalker Complete mod for the other 2 games, they're just ports.

Are you sure you've updated to v1.0005? If not, here's the download link.

#7 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

My video card drivers are up to date, the game is version 1.0005, and I'm not downloading the Complete mod because the game is so buggy that the vanilla version of it already barely works on this computer. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. I guess I'll see what that does.

Oh, and it was saying something about an XR_3DA.exe error, but I don't know what that is.

#8 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

My video card drivers are up to date, the game is version 1.0005, and I'm not downloading the Complete mod because the game is so buggy that the vanilla version of it already barely works on this computer. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. I guess I'll see what that does. Oh, and it was saying something about an XR_3DA.exe error, but I don't know what that is.

But the complete mod will fix those bugs?

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

CoP freezes on me when I start a new game, but then I leave it and it unfreezes and loads in. Maybe you're being impatient? I dunno, I never had a single problem with SoC.

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

My video card drivers are up to date, the game is version 1.0005, and I'm not downloading the Complete mod because the game is so buggy that the vanilla version of it already barely works on this computer. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. I guess I'll see what that does. Oh, and it was saying something about an XR_3DA.exe error, but I don't know what that is.

The complete mod fixes bugs, specifically those to do with the X ray engine. The mod was partially made by one of the team who made the game itself.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

@Jrinswand said:

The complete mod fixes bugs, specifically those to do with the X ray engine. The mod was partially made by one of the team who made the game itself.

Yup, the mod doesn't ruin anything, it fixed and polishes and sexifies the game into near perfection. Also muuuch better graphics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.