Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

Does it get better?

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By justinnotjason

I'm not extremely far into the game, but I thought I'd be having more fun. I'm about, probably 4 hours in. Doing various side missions and a few of the main missions but everything seems so boring. I understand the concept of having to get better guns and armor(clothes whatever), So I've been looking for artifacts and picking up random shit and selling it, doing random missions, etc, so I could buy the only 'Better' armor I've seen (the armor sold by the guy at the beginning of the game- forget his name).

I'd say I've been spoiled by linear games and their constant action, but I just came off Fallout 3, which isn't necessarily as in depth as STALKER but it seemed to have alot more to do. The Zone just kind've feels empty and you run across someone every now and then, and most of the time quick save > quick reload a few times to beat them.

It just seems so boring, which sucks because I'm really trying to like this game, since it's one of the games I was looking forward to playing when i got a comp that could play it.

So does it get better?

ZettaSlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZettaSlow

Depends.  I personally didn't enjoy the first five hours or so because the weapons were so in-accurate and the missions not all that fun.  Once you get into the Agropram underground things start to pick up though.

If you've gone through that level (pretty much the first underground area) and you didn't really like it, you probably won't like the rest of the game.  But try to play through that and a little bit afterward before putting it away for good.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By raven_squad

From my personal experience, yes. I hated the game in the begining, but since I had just bought its for 50 bucks, I decided to wade through it for a while. After about... 6 hours or so, it got significantly better. The weapons get better, the atmosphere of later levels is truly immersive, and the enemies get smarter and creepier. Stick with it for a while longer. 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM
    @JustinNotJason:
    Yeah, I'm re-downloading it right now to play more, since I've had a lot of previous experiences disliking a game before it gets good. And this is a little more down the lines of something like Far Cry 2 where I didn't like it for a long time until a few month ago. Not that I'm all about the graphics, but these are highly dated looking graphics and it's just dissapointing since for now, it really just takes away from the immersion.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mrhankey

I feel the STALKER series is a love it or hate it franchise. There are parts of each game that are just awful, but it's the great epic moments of the game that should really be the highlight. I can't even begin to describe how badly I want everyone to love this series, but like everyone else is saying...STALKER is slow in the beginning, it just takes time to build into the epic that it is. If by the end of the game you've enjoyed it pick up both Clear Sky and Call of Pyrpiat. Both good on there own merits, Clear Sky being the weakest of the three, but personally, just awesome all around.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Yes. Once it really opens up, and you get some better gear, and all the weird horror-type stuff starts happening, that game is awesome.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Stick with it a little more. Cause eventually you will need that better gear in the future. If you become impatient you can alternatively finish the quest where you go to the Agroprom Research Institute and find the underground tunnels to get a good armor for free and its the 1st  underground level as well. It becomes much creepier at the latter parts and intense at the final parts of the game. 

Also if you haven't downloaded the STALKER Complete 2009 mod. Do so as its enhances the visuals and actually changes the experience of the game.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

I'm going to guess you haven't left the Cordon...
    you should leave the Cordon.

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

It's one of the those games that gradually grows on you, once you get past it's steep, steep learning curve. It more engrossing as you go, by then, it really pulls you in it's twisted world. It's a very good first-person shooter, definitely one of the most immerssive and unique games in the genre for years. 

@mrhankey said:

" I feel the STALKER series is a love it or hate it franchise. There are parts of each game that are just awful, but it's the great epic moments of the game that should really be the highlight. I can't even begin to describe how badly I want everyone to love this series, but like everyone else is saying...STALKER is slow in the beginning, it just takes time to build into the epic that it is. If by the end of the game you've enjoyed it pick up both Clear Sky and Call of Pyrpiat. Both good on there own merits, Clear Sky being the weakest of the three, but personally, just awesome all around. "
    Actually, S.T.A..L.K.E.R. is a lot more loved than hated. Trust me, it's fanbase is extremely large and if you dare say anything negative towards it, you're about to be flamed at every corner. Those who despise the series are a minority. I'm a casual fan at best. I think they're very good games, but very flawed as well. Not the masterpieces that many people claim, but they're quite solid games none the less. Except for Clear Sky, I didn't like that one very much. It's easily the weakest of the three, and by far, the buggiest. 
    GreyColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By audiosnag

All I can do is reiterate what people have already said. That game is worth sticking around for. It took me a few hours to get into it too but when I did, I did hard.
    It's on my list of greatest gaming experiences.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.