Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

first time player, looking for advice

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By falling_fast

So I got this game a while ago through steam, but I've never touched it because I heard it was really buggy...

Anyways, today brought it back to my mind, for obvious reasons, and I thought I should give it a shot.

I just want to know, I've heard that Complete 2009 includes a ton of bug fixes, but that it also runs the system requirements way up with its improved graphics.

Now, I'm running a kind of old, crappy laptop (hp tx2500,

• AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80 (2.1GHz, 2MB L2 cache)
    • 3GB DDR2 RAM
    • 250GB hard drive
    • Mobility Radeon HD 3200 IGP

),

so I definitely don't think I could run Complete with all the graphical improvements.

Is it possible to only get the bug fixes and ignore the other stuff?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Hosstile17

You should be able to run the game on your laptop. Install the pack and just turn the game down as needed. The 2009 patch fix a lot of the graphical problems and adds lots of new effects.I ran through all three of the games last year. I know you will be able to go through Shadow of Chernobyl with those specs. The other games ratcheted up the requirements a bit and I don't think they would run as smooth.

Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Taka

My advice....play it on easy

That game is pretty hard even on normal

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By falling_fast

almost done downloading the vanilla game. fingers crossed that this goes well.

btw, I highly recommend the Andrei Tarkovsky film that these games are kindaosrta based on. it's probably my favourite film of all time, actually.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falling_fast

...you weren't kidding huh, this game is pretty fucking hard

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @damnable_fiend: So? Tell us what happened, are you running the Complete 2009 with a solid framerate?
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falling_fast

at low settings, I'm running it mm, reasonably alright. I've already noticed some minor bugs that it's fixed, which is nice.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @damnable_fiend said:

at low settings, I'm running it mm, reasonably alright. I've already noticed some minor bugs that it's fixed, which is nice.

Awesome, enjoy it! Don't hesitate to ask for gameplay tips, that game is not your every day shooter, there's a lot of loot/quest details to keep an eye on.
    Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deathstriker666

Here's some tips:

• Running is your most powerful weapon (only certain types of mutants can outrun you and even then the AI is scripted to return to their original patterns and won't chase you down, usually)
    • Bum rush through the early game shit; You won't anything useful in the Cordon, Garbage, Dark Valley, nor in the Agroprom Research Institute
    • You pump a whole clip into a guy or shoot him once in the head; your choice
    • You can hold up to 50 Kg and to a maximum of an extra 10 Kg though you're ability to sprint is drastically reduced once you go over
    • There are only two ways in SoC to increase your max carrying capacity the Tourist Suit and the Exoskeleton
    • Money is almost useless; Most traders don't sell anything really useful and you'll find all you need by looting dead bodies, finding stashes, and doing quests
    • Being the first game in the series there is no way to upgrade/repair weapons or armor
    • Keep weapons you plan on using, hoarding weapons is an easy way to clutter your inventory and make you over-encumbered
    • You can unload weapons to get ammo from weapons you don't plan on carrying around

Out of all the STALKER games, I most enjoyed Call of Pripyat. They fixed a whole bunch of issues I had with Chernobyl and Clear Sky. Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to new players. There is literally no tutorial and was obviously meant for people who were already familiar with the game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

Skip straight to Call of Pripyat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.