Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

Tried it before, didn't like it, should I try again with the mod?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

The complete mod that is. DualReaver bought this a long time ago, and let me use his direct2drive account(I think) to play it, and when I played it then, I did not like it, but I only played for maybe, 1 hour. Maybe even less. So yeah, should I try again with the complete mod? It's probably cheap now, eh? I haven't checked how much it costs. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CL60

I'll just get it I guess.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur
    @CL60: Try it again^^ Even though I'm only saying that because I love the game so much. I hope it clicks with you this time!
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Nentisys
    @CL60:
    I hope you give it another go. I really like stalker:soc and like stalker:cop even more!
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

what didn't you like about it? if it was the super bugginess of the game then you shouldn't play the game without it; if you didn't like the shooting it doesn't affect that in anyway, so...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Its weird, but once you get settled in and know what there's to do it gets fun.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By audiosnag

Definitely give it another shot. Once you get into it that game gets really damn good. Totally worth putting time into.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

Like most open world games, I like to "veg" out while listening to music. I played Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and STALKER that way. If that's your thing, it's a good enough game. A word of advice though - don't enter the final area without being fully stocked. Apparently, you can't go back, and I hadn't prepared, so basically I couldn't finish the game. Whatever, it was fun while it lasted. 

The shooting is pretty terrible though, or should I say so "accurate" in terms of spread and the like that it blows. The starting weapons especially suck - there's a rather unfair difficulty spike in the beginning, which I imagine put you off. Power through and you should be fine. 

You know what? Fuck what I said and just play the first Max Payne.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Laketown said:
    " what didn't you like about it? if it was the super bugginess of the game then you shouldn't play the game without it; if you didn't like the shooting it doesn't affect that in anyway, so... "
    I dunno, I just couldn't get into it, so when I closed it down I never opened it up again. Didn't know what I was doing I guess.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    kemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kemp

Give it another go and try to play for longer this time. I also tried it for a short time near the time it launched but wasn't in the mood at the time. But i picked up the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. pack around christmas and loved the campaign after spending a couple of hours getting used to the combat/movement and frenetic PDA-checking. Just immersing in to the world. 

The earlier weapons may suck but once you get used to it, it's like anything else. Especially when you get to the better weapons just a couple of zones away. Can't recommend this game enough to atleast give it a decent go.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CL60:  Stalker, Dead Space, Mass Effect 
     3 games i couldnt STAND in the past, they made me wanna strangle myself.. im 70 feet deep into them right now. 

here's what you do: when you know for a fact that a game is critically acclaimed or widely praised by gamers, yet you dislike it, think of WHY you dislike it, and try to focus on that and try to cope with it. good luck, Stalker is a star in the night.. its phe fucking nomenal.
    zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By zameer

It depends.. If you can isolate the reason it didn't click with you (dated graphics, certain mechanics) and it's remedied by a mod I'd say it's worth a second go, yeah.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes. The only thing you did wrong was trying to play the game without any mods. That's a huge, massive no-no for SoC. 

It's gone on sale for one dollar a number of times, and has been packaged with Call of Pripyat (which doesn't even need mods) for $5. Wait until it goes on sale again, and if at all possible get Pripyat instead. You probably shouldn't pay full price if you didn't like the vanilla version, because there's still a chance it wont be up your alley. And skip Clear Sky until you get addicted.

edit: The Complete mod has a great quicksave function (escape + s) and it makes a new save with the game time and map name each time. It's a lifesaver for those of us who forget to make multiple slots. And there's a realistic weapons addon for it that makes guns more lethal in case you didn't like the pea-shooter nature of them in the beginning.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By kishan6
    @kemp said:
    " Give it another go and try to play for longer this time. I also tried it for a short time near the time it launched but wasn't in the mood at the time. But i picked up the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. pack around christmas and loved the campaign after spending a couple of hours getting used to the combat/movement and frenetic PDA-checking. Just immersing in to the world.  The earlier weapons may suck but once you get used to it, it's like anything else. Especially when you get to the better weapons just a couple of zones away. Can't recommend this game enough to atleast give it a decent go. "
    exactly 
    @audiosnag said:
    " Definitely give it another shot. Once you get into it that game gets really damn good. Totally worth putting time into. "
    and this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.