Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

Uhm....Did I miss something? (Spoilers inside)

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By justinnotjason

Again, this contains spoilers of the ending so:

Yeah so I just beat S:SoC and I gotta say...........What. The. Fuck?!

Seriously I feel like somewhere along the lines I missed a huge chunk of the game. I'll say this, after a while I stopped doing most of the side missions since they seemed pretty much useless, so I'm wondering if that's where I missed something.

So I beat the game and got the money ending at the Wish Granter....And to be perfectly honest I was really pissed because I thought "wow what a shitty ending to what was a pretty good game". So I looked up online and found out there's a "good ending". Looked up how to get it, and you needed to go to some guy about a guide and go back to the Lab?

When the hell was I supposed to find out about that? I don't remember any mention of that in my PDA or anything. So I found out there was a shortcut to get to the good ending without the decoder (gauss gun in the door...haha just wow at that). So I get the good ending and I get all this information spit at me from that scientist hologram, which was awesome....But it's like I learned something at the beginning of the game ran around killing people throughout the game and then got the whole story at the end.

I know Strelok was with Fang and Ghost through reading the stuff in my PDA but I don't know what the hell he's talking about, it's all new to me. So I'm utterly confused to crap and back, like where did all this come from?

I looked on Wiki at the story and it sounds awesome but I didn't get ANY of that in the game. I basically went through the game and got 10% of what I figure I was supposed too. Is the story that deeply engrained in the background where I can just go through without getting any of it?

The game was pretty awesome. But between the incessant bugs, and the fact that I didn't get any story it took a 5 Star game down to a 3 star game, maybe borderline 2 star.

So where did I miss everything?

*Mind you I watched the video of someone going back to the lab and meeting with Ghost and still feel that that's such a small part of what I missed.

*Oh and the cheat I used to get through the door without the decoder/key - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1_nizEqg8

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

I got the quest in my PDA- I think it disappears when you go to Pripyat.
    Basically, Strelok was trying to find a way to disable the C-Consciousness, but his face was scarred later on while he was hunting(after crossing the Brain Scorcher).
    So he came back to The Guide, and on his way to the C-Consciousness again, he was rendered unconscious and his memories were lost because of an emission.
    So then the Monolith gives him simple instructions(kill the Strelok), loads him in a death truck, and sends him on his way.
    I'm not sure about the face scarring bit though

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By justinnotjason

Yeah but see how could I have missed SO MUCH of the story?
    Like it seems weird that you could play a game and miss, what I feel to be, 90% of the story. And I wasn't just rushing either I was taking my time.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PureRok

Well, if you play the prequel... there's an even bigger mind fuck.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By justinnotjason

I have Clear Sky and plan on starting it soon, but is the story as hard to find as SoC?

....and on that note did anyone else have as much trouble as I did?

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @JustinNotJason said:
    The game was pretty awesome. But between the incessant bugs, and the fact that I didn't get any story it took a 5 Star game down to a 3 star game, maybe borderline 2 star.
    Wait you'd take a game from 5 stars down to 3 or 2 because the route you took through the game ment that you didn't see the good ending?  I know the money ending is kinda shitty but none of the endings are particularly good.

I'm not sure what you mean about going back to the lab but this thread shows how to get each ending.  I've got ending 4 and 6 using these methods.
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By justinnotjason
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "
    @JustinNotJason said:
    Wait you'd take a game from 5 stars down to 3 or 2 because the route you took through the game ment that you didn't see the good ending?  I know the money ending is kinda shitty but none of the endings are particularly good.

I'm not sure what you mean about going back to the lab but this thread shows how to get each ending.  I've got ending 4 and 6 using these methods.
    "
    No I'd take a game down 2 stars based on the ending only if that was the only ending, given the fact that there were multiple endings I was much less pissed. The good ending was awesome. What made me want to take this game down to stars is the fact that I thought I was finding everything I could in the game and I didn't get much story at all until the ending. It kind've pissed me off.

Like I'm trying to figure out, how much did I miss. Like is there alot of story that I overlooked?

PS. I got the good ending using the glitch of stick the Gauss Gun in the door. The good ending was really awesome, but it was alot of story at the end, and very sparse bits in the game.
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @JustinNotJason: Ah ok I guess that makes more sense.

I haven't played STALKER in a long while and I only got the full story once but from what I remember what you got was one of the multiple false endings.  One of the NPCs or audio logs right at the end of the game just before you fully commit to entering the Sarcophagus you find out the whole of your past and a lot of the backstory, I believe you have to find the bodies of all of your friends.  

The backstory is something like the 4 of you traveled to the centre of the zone to find the wish granter and were forced to retreat for some reason, you (Strelok) were knocked out during the retreat and lost your memory.  The zone choose a random person to find and kill Strelok and it just happened to pick you.  But with the true endings where you find all this information you find the source of the zone, some kind of living, self aware machine that can control people's minds through the Brain Scorcher and you're given the choice to destroy it or become a part of it.

Again it's been a long while since I played to the end of STALKER so I could be lying to you sorry.  I thought that it was pretty awesome how there was a false ending to the game for those who either missed something or didn't bother looking for it.  Almost seems more realistic in that way although I understand your fustrations.  Man when I upgrade my video card I'm going to make it my mission to play through both the STALKER games before Call of Pipyrt comes out, maybe try out a couple of mods this time too.
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By justinnotjason
    @IncredibleBulk92:
    No I understand why it's cool that there's a false ending, I just felt like there was no hint as to what to do. Like if there was "trail of crumbs" to missions that helped fill in the story and someone ignored them and got the false ending that's fine. But it was like one mission I missed and I didn't even know that it existed.

But whatever. Still a fun game for the most part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.