Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 20, 2007

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a First-Person-Shooter with many Role Playing elements. It's set in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone after a second fictional explosion in the not too distant future. It is known for its atmosphere and relatively difficult gameplay.

What is your relationship with S.T.A.L.K.E.R?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'd like to start off by saying that this game will be one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had. The words "unique" and "brilliant" do not do this game justice.

After several years of attempting to access and enjoy this game, I managed to beat it in two weeks (21 hours total), which ended last night.
    And I really felt the need to discuss this game. It's a confusing title that I seriously do not know the purpose of. I mean, You start off as the amnesiac guy who's only purpose is to kill Strelok, you work for these STALKERS whose boss is the trader, you do some side quests that show you the beauty of the world of Stalker and the amazing, amazing award-worthy atmosphere and environment. Then shit gets real and you work with these STALKER people towards breaching the zone to the north by going into a series of FUCKED UP underground factories and labs, encountering the most shiver invoking mutated creatures ever seen and acquiring the different samples and documents to help the trader and the barkeep to breach the zone. 

And then, all of a sudden, 

When the credits rolled I really didn't know the purpose of this. Yes, I enjoyed the atmosphere, I spent nights in the dark with my headphones on just bathing in this game's universe, the shooting and looting and inventory management was so much fun, the storyline seemed promising, but then the part in the spoiler tag happened and I found myself just.. confused and unsure what the hell this game is about. 
    The only thing the ending made me think about was, whether dodging all the "I wanna join this faction!" dialogue options made me miss out on some great guild-ish action, and I was also left wondering why my ending was the way it was, and what exactly lead to it. Because apparently the game has like 10 endings, and mine was the "be rich" one, and I have no idea what led to it. 

And so, this game is finally over, a chapter of my gaming life has ended, simply because I always considered this game to be some sort of endless mindfucking maze that, well, never ends. I can't believe I will uninstall it now and never look back. 

It's time to fire up Call of Pripyat, but until I do, I'm really interested in your relationship with the game, how much you played it, whether you beat it or not, what do you think of it, etc..? 
    Edit: Since some of us will post about beating it while others will post about playing it, please put all your spoilers in a spoiler tag
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

I don't have a relationships with stalkers, they have a relationship with me.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Stalker's atmosphere is amazing. The all-encompassing eeriness, the oppressive drabness, and the tangible-yet-subtle loneliness -- it's all enough to make an environment all the more fun and painful to explore... For hours and hours. Good hunting, stalker.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Started playing it, got confused and overwhelmed, stopped playing it D:

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Loved it, never had the urge to finish it tho, but I will someday.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jetsetwillie

my relationship with STALKER is a dusty old DVD case sat on a shelf that i've not touched in over 2 years, after trying to get into it 2 or 3 times and just getting bored and annoyed.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Eurobum
    @AhmadMetallic: The game is about creating a place, not as much as creating a plot.  It's either truly open world or an interactive movie, when it comes to design choices.

Stalker was inpired by a 60's book which used aliens to create the zone and a 30 year old movie that used supernatural, spiritual nonsense to create the mystery around it. Both were released before the year 1986, when the nuclear blow out in chernobyl occurred.  So every ending or explanation is contrived in its own way. Whatever you learn in the game are just rumours or stories. The whole thing is a mystery not to be resolved IMHO.

Тhe alternative endings are easily done if you have some old saves, or just look them up online. Even though there is a "right" ending, I already forgot what it was ;D.

The best thing about the original is the A-live system, which uses travelling animals and stalkers as independent unscripted agents in the world, making it possible for a lot of funny stuff to happen. For instance the back and forth struggle between bandits and stalkers on "Garbage". It is possible to throw these guys some better assault rifles, then watch how they do. Unfortunately the open world simulation went unnoticed or it went over people's heads and never quite took of in terms of working as intended, later games have abandoned it AFAIK.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I bought it on sale despite knowing my I wouldn't be able to play it on my current PC.

But at least I can say I own it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

you never should have gone to the wish granter, that was the bad ending!

stalker is amazing, call of pripyat is my favorite though.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themangalist

once my bitch, if that's what you're asking.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

It is a fantastic game. Once I got into the atmosphere and learned how the game worked, it was easy to get so damned lost in it. And you never knew just how weird it was going to turn, extremely atmospheric game with.. as it was patched, well conceived graphics, gameplay and genre mechanics. Even Some of the trees blew my mind, they looked so realistic in a remnants of mature growth forest, others were planted along roadways grafted at their base, and now grown to huge girth. Just amazing to see that kind of detail. I've had Call of Pripyat on steam installed for a good year. I keep trying to get to it. Or I may go back to Chernobyl, but Pripyat is supposed to be the worthy successor.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think Shadow of Chernobyl is trash, I think Clear Sky is decent and I think Call of Pripyat is pretty awesome.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By matthias2437

I love the game, the atmosphere was one of the best I have played in a game (that counts for all 3). I have beat all of them and never really got sick of the gameplay style while playing them. The whole time I was invested in the STALKER universe. I can't wait for them to make another one. Especially if it is using the same engine as Metro 2033 (maybe slightly more optimized).

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never completed it but I can say that with the complete mod + only going out in the world when it was completely (and I do mean completely) dark. That was such an incredibly amazing experience, enemies couldn't see me just as I couldn't see them. The first to die would be the first one to turn on a flashlight, or the first to take a shot and make their presence known. I would then proceed to use  a bit of stealth to systematically wipe them all out with a sawed off shotgun. 

I have yet to complete Shadow of Chernobyl but I do have some fond memories of it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll let Neutralio answer for me:

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shadystx

@AhmadMetallic: I own the first two games on steam and have only played an hour or so of the first but it's one of those game I really want to play but keep putting off to play something else.

One day I will play the three stalker games and I am sure I will enjoy them very much.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theoldhouse

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

quest givers closed the door and it won't open :(

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

I guess I am super-weird. I liked Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat quite a bit. But, I think that Clear Sky was my personal favorite. I had a total blast with that game.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Aetheldod

Curiosly I was playing it yesterday ... its a game that I just play when I have nothing new to play , but I enjoy it quite a lot .... its just that Im taking my damn time with it :D

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love them, I own all of them, despite it being kinda janky and broken... and, man there are a lot of problems with the those games. But whatever I still love them.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cyraxible

I love both Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. I haven't played Clear Sky and have no intentions to, really. Everything I've heard of it makes it seem very nonessential. I think Call of Pripyat is better than Shadow of Chernobyl gameplay wise, however, Shadow of Chernobyl was my first time experiencing the zone and all of its mysteries.

I'm in love with any game that can create an atmosphere like Shadow of Chernobyl did.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Eurobum:  Great post, thanks for the info. 

@Animasta@Cloudenvy@matthias2437:  @cyraxible:  Since you guys love Pripyat, did you use any mods for it? The Complete 2009 mod for SoC made it playable for me, otherwise I wouldn't have beaten it. Pripyat is feeling very smooth and less-janky but I maxed it out and the graphics look very 2002.. Any well known graphical enhancement mods? Thanks.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

@AhmadMetallic: Call of Pripyat Complete mod? ; )

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matthias2437
    Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Floope

Bought it on a steam sale. Ends about there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

STALKER and I? We loooove each other. Thing is, she's on a long business trip and she'll return in a couple of years, hopefully with a new work promotion of STALKER2.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

It was a fun game, kinda janky, but unique. Still is vastly overrated. It's a 3/5 for me. It did some cool new things, didn't really execute on them well, but delivered a solid experience.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Jaktajj

The first game was amazing and literally felt like it'd been taken straight out of my 'dream game' desires, unfortunately - I thought it was let down a little bit by the Far Cry 'perfect shot' enemy syndrome, where they would hit you from years away with no problem. I got up to red forest and I don't remember why I stopped playing. I recently bought Call of Pripyat but it doesn't work on my system, so looking forward to buying a new system and getting into it!

I wish they would bring it to consoles!

TACOBOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TACOBOY

lost my save games twice due to computer problems(back when i had xp) thinking about reinstalling it and giving it another go because the 15~hours i played of it was amazing,its everything i wish fallout 3 was and everything deus ex tried to be(no offence to the deus ex fans out there but not being able to hit what i aim at made me go insane in deus ex)

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arch4non

The STALKER series is quite the anomaly. Where some people play their MMORPG sitting around in a main city hoping someone notices their armor, I'm out in the zone searching for artifacts. While some people are focused on achievement hunting, I'm out in the wilderness experiencing completely unique occurrences simply by walking from Point A to Point B. Sometimes I'll sit around a campfire and keep an eye out for bloodsuckers, other times I'll stumble upon Freedom and Duty having at it, every now and then I'll find a lone Stalker bleeding out with all his friends dead and I'll toss him a medpack and vodka.

Unlike a game like Fallout, the weapon ballistics in STALKER are quite nice and fulfilling to use. You're never grinding experience, rolling dice, or handing the controller to something like VATS. The Absolute Nature, Absolute Structures, and AtmosFear mods also give the graphics a facelift. Where other post-apocalyptic games are brown, flat, and devoid of life, STALKER is bursting with wilderness creatures and dense fauna.

There's a thriving community with lots of stories and fan art. With STALKER 2 coming out next year things are only going to get better.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've played a few hours of it and tentatively liked what I've played so far. Currently, my minor holdups involve the fact that the early guns seem kind of trashy from an accuracy standpoint, especially since I have trouble telling if I hit someone with the weapon or not.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mesklinite

I want to love them. But I can't stand them.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Spoonman671

I played about 8-10 hours worth of Shadow of Chernobyl before getting fed up with the shitty AI.  That's when I jumped into Call of Pripyat and loved it.  Some of the weapons feel a bit weak, but the combat is satisfying none the less.  I played about a half hour or so of Clear Sky, just to get an idea of whether the game felt more like Shadow or more like Pripyat, and my impression was the latter.  I look forward to jumping into Clear Sky as soon as I get a break from current releases, though I admit I'm not looking forward to the whole faction wars thing.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hitchenson

Cough.

SoC's probably my favourite PC game. I've played through it countless times, with so many mod variations and it just won't get old. Hell, I just came off it now. Using a AMK/graphics mods merge with Lurk weapons/animations at the sec. It's probably my most beautiful trip through the Zone to date. CS can be alrightish, but it's not really what I want from a Stalker title, CoP's damn good but it's lacking so much in the horror side of things compared to SoC and the few underground sections you do including the Pripyat tunnel are pretty shitty, especially when compared to the glorious horror that is the SoC labs and the first time you go to Agroprom underground and see a, you know, for the first time.

According to Steam I've played 183.7 hours of SoC and 93.8 hours of CoP. I owned SoC retail for a year before I bought it on Steam too, welp.

No Caption Provided
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @arch4non said:

The STALKER series is quite the anomaly. Where some people play their MMORPG sitting around in a main city hoping someone notices their armor, I'm out in the zone searching for artifacts. While some people are focused on achievement hunting, I'm out in the wilderness experiencing completely unique occurrences simply by walking from Point A to Point B. Sometimes I'll sit around a campfire and keep an eye out for bloodsuckers, other times I'll stumble upon Freedom and Duty having at it, every now and then I'll find a lone Stalker bleeding out with all his friends dead and I'll toss him a medpack and vodka.

Unlike a game like Fallout, the weapon ballistics in STALKER are quite nice and fulfilling to use. You're never grinding experience, rolling dice, or handing the controller to something like VATS. The Absolute Nature, Absolute Structures, and AtmosFear mods also give the graphics a facelift. Where other post-apocalyptic games are brown, flat, and devoid of life, STALKER is bursting with wilderness creatures and dense fauna.

There's a thriving community with lots of stories and fan art. With STALKER 2 coming out next year things are only going to get better.

This is such a sexy post.
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Liber

@AhmadMetallic said:

@arch4non said:

This is such a sexy post.

Did he say Stalker 2 coming out next year ? is he Marty Mcfly ?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I played STALKER when it first came out, right up the point that I realized quests were timed. I then tossed that shit.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By DeF

man I finally need to get around to playing those games ... I have them all sitting here ... (retail and the last two on steam as well)...

it all sounds so intriguing!

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By cstrang

I played Call of Pripyat almost a year ago. That game was absolutely spectacular.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I could say something cliche...

But I'll just say the Stalker games are bloody brilliant.

Sneaking past those vampirelike mutants in Call of Pripyat is insaaaane.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

I'm now playing Call of Pripyat everyday, and it does absolutely rock. I'm not quite at Pripyat, still setting things up. i luv the rpg elements of this, having a fight go poor with a Bloodsucker because I was using slugs in my long barrel shot gun, should have been using shot in my other semi auto-short barrell that I use. I find You have to run backwards (more or less) till their shimmer can be seen.

As for relating to my charactor, I am pretty much that stalker. It's a bit like stepping into any alien or fantasy world and establishing who you are, despite I have absolutely no knowledge of East Euro, Ukranian or Russian culture, language etc first hand beyond superficial.( this I hope benefits me when I start Witcher 2, which the devs have said uses old tales, lore and such)

And like ppl say, your work is not done, there are what, 3 or 4 endings? I forget. The Wish granter is still well short of the final ending. Which is a good thing.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat this game years ago and was very satisfied when it was over, but I felt like I barely understood the story, knew nothing about the factions, or what was going on around me. I just finished my missions.

Very melancholic and nostalgic game though, the Zone never leaves your senses once you've experienced the flawless atmosphere of this game.

I started a fresh playthrough today, the second one, and I took my sweet time reading everything trying to immerse myself in it even more. Also this time around I'm not looking to carry around loot to sell, I want to go fast and be free.

I'm sitting here listening to the main menu theme, it's staggeringly haunting, this game runs deep in the veins!

I just feel sad that no one ever mentions this game, it's so colossal in every sense, but it's been long forgotten.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the greatest game of all time

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of Chernobyl is great. I replayed it earlier this year and that game is unlike any other in terms of its atmosphere. That last part is such a spike in difficulty though. To be fair they warn you that you're not going to be able to go back, but thinking I was prepared enough I went in and stupidly used up all my save slots trying to go through it. Ended up spending hours save scumming just to survive. Luckily I found some better armor and managed to beat it. Everything else is a cake walk compared to the insanity that is the Chernobyl Power Plant.

Tried playing Clear Sky but I found the whole Faction Wars system to be a jumbled mess. Just looking at the map I had no idea what the fuck to even do. Haven't played Call of Pripyat but I've heard good things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.