Which STALKER game do you consider to be the best?

#1 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

Out of the 3, which one do you guys think is the best? Personally, I'd say Call of Pripyat. It's probably my least favorite in terms of story, but it features the most prominent gameplay improvements so far. There's not one thing they changed in CoP that I didn't like, and it's actually pretty hard to go back to the old games after finishing. I booted up Clear Sky to go through it again, and I didn't last for more than an hour. As I said before, the main downside about CoP is the story. I thought that the first game's story was excellent, and Clear Sky helped fill in some gaps. (Despite the very underwhelming and abrupt ending.) CoP's story is much too generic and uninteresting for me, but I feel the vast gameplay (and graphical) improvements are more important.  
 
So, of the minority of you who've played a STALKER game, which do you consider to be the best?

#2 Edited by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

i like firs tone
it was very new at time and few game have post apocalyptic setting
now its everywheree!!

#3 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@stephengotlost said:
" i like firs tone it was very new at time and few game have post apocalyptic setting now its everywheree!! "  
That isn't really a bad thing, though. 
#4 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete is damn good, it's effectively vanilla SoC just better. I'm currently playing through SoC with LURK installed, it's pretty fucking awesome.

#5 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete is damn good, it's effectively vanilla SoC just better. I'm currently playing through SoC with LURK installed, it's pretty fucking awesome. "
Believe it or not, I've never used any mods on the STALKER games besides an HD armor texture-ish thing for CoP. I always hear good things about Complete, though. I might have to go download that and play some more SoC.
#6 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Noodlearms said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete is damn good, it's effectively vanilla SoC just better. I'm currently playing through SoC with LURK installed, it's pretty fucking awesome. "
Believe it or not, I've never used any mods on the STALKER games besides an HD armor texture-ish thing for CoP. I always hear good things about Complete, though. I might have to go download that and play some more SoC. "
You really should, man. It just makes the game generally better without being a total conversion. 
#7 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @Noodlearms said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete is damn good, it's effectively vanilla SoC just better. I'm currently playing through SoC with LURK installed, it's pretty fucking awesome. "
Believe it or not, I've never used any mods on the STALKER games besides an HD armor texture-ish thing for CoP. I always hear good things about Complete, though. I might have to go download that and play some more SoC. "
You really should, man. It just makes the game generally better without being a total conversion.  "
I just feel like I'm going to have the same problem I had when I tried to replay CS. CoP was such a major improvement it's hard to go back. I will say, though, that SoC was definitely the scariest, which I guess is a reason to play some more.
#8 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@Noodlearms: Complete '09 is a pretty significant improvement overall. It fixes the bugs and other issues with the game, improves the graphics and such a whole ton and meanwhile doesn't change what makes the game awesome.  
 
Here's the first video I found demonstrating the graphical difference the mod makes:
 
  
#9 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

I agree with you about call of pripyat; the first half of the story was actually pretty good, but when you got to pripyat... Pripyat was a bit underwhelming.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

So I've got two torrents going right now. One is the entire series of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and the other is the original 1966 Space Ghost series... wait, that one's done. Sweetness.

#11 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" So I've got two torrents going right now. One is the entire series of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and the other is the original 1966 Space Ghost series... wait, that one's done. Sweetness. "
That STALKER game, eh?
#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@Hitchenson:  The original poster is obviously WAY into Space Ghost.
#13 Edited by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

" So I've got two torrents going right now. One is the entire series of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and the other is the original 1966 Space Ghost series... wait, that one's done. Sweetness. "

Every one of my topics gets derailed by someone posting about Space Ghost, lol. It doesn't bother me though, since he's pretty awesome.
#14 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Okay. I don't even know Space Ghost is. So, once again, okay.
#15 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" @Hitchenson:  The original poster is obviously WAY into Space Ghost. "
Haha, I love Space Ghost. Those games are incredible :)
#16 Posted by mathkor (96 posts) -

I don't have enough time to play all of the stalker games, which one should I play ?

#17 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -

@mathkor said:

I don't have enough time to play all of the stalker games, which one should I play ?

The original game, or Call of Pripyat. Make sure to install the Complete Mod for whichever one you get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.