Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Star Citizen Anniversary Livestream

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By selbie

Direct link if the video doesn't work:

http://www.twitch.tv/roberts_space_ind_ch_1/b/488909647

(DFM footage starts around the 1:19:00 mark)

The game looks so damn amazing in motion even in such a pre-alpha state, and the detailed damage modeling is mind-blowing.

A new patch to the hangar module has also added some new features like the Cutlass ship and an updated model of the Avenger ship, plus a few other extras like new fish to add to the tank etc.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dogfight Module approaches....Chris don't give a F**** about facebook

No Caption Provided

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By newmoneytrash

is star citizen even real?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By selbie

Looks real enough to me :)

Loading Video...

They've been fighting tooth and nail to get this thing ready for the PAX demo.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That demo was so deliciously Alpha, watching Chris drunkenly swear at the crashes on stage was amusing. The promise of this game is well... everything I ever wanted in a game, hopefully the absurd amount of money I put into backing it pays off.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ColonelRick

They need to work on their live events. This was especially rough, but apparently the game is up and working on demo booths now. I'v seen some videos of it at the Logitech stand, and people seemed to be actually dogfighting.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Look, the game looks great but after buying Strike Vector (sale) this weekend on Steam there better be a whole lot more than just dogfighting with 40 million backing it up. I actually think they are biting off more than they can chew. It would have been better to build the basic foundation and then expand out into the universe. They could have released that current build with full oculus support as is dog fighting game on Steam for $20 and sold a million copies in less than a week. I hope they succeed, because if not, with the support and coverage it has received, it will make the Mass Effect ending hate look like a Nintendo review.

Also, after watching the demo i will never attend a VG event or show....ever.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@me3639 said:

Look, the game looks great but after buying Strike Vector (sale) this weekend on Steam there better be a whole lot more than just dogfighting with 40 million backing it up. I actually think they are biting off more than they can chew. It would have been better to build the basic foundation and then expand out into the universe. They could have released that current build with full oculus support as is dog fighting game on Steam for $20 and sold a million copies in less than a week. I hope they succeed, because if not, with the support and coverage it has received, it will make the Mass Effect ending hate look like a Nintendo review.

This is pretty much the exact strategy that Infinity: Quest for Earth is taking. They're going to do a Kickstarter for a combat only game before they work towards a galaxy spanning MMO. Plus they have a far more impressive engine.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Chris discussing the FPS elements at PAX East 14

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slightly less buggy official reveal...

Loading Video...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Ugggh. I just want a release date.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat helmet, though... *insert RichBoyDatAss.jpg*

I know most people who put money down are looking forward to the multiplayer 'verse experience. Honestly though I put my money down more for the Squadron 42 campaign, which seems like it might be Wing Commandery in the right kind of way.

@tourgen said:

Ugggh. I just want a release date.

Me too duder, me too.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm looking forward to both single and multiplayer. Does anyone know what they cost structure will be? What sorts of monthly, yearly fees are too be expected?

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
    TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By selbie
    Loading Video...

They've finally put up the livestream for Citizen Con this year. Plenty of great stuff coming up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The game isn't fucking out and it's having anniversaries and conventions? I'm sorry but that is disgusting.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Rowr
    @bartok said:

The game isn't fucking out and it's having anniversaries and conventions? I'm sorry but that is disgusting.

A LOT of people backed this game.

What better way to keep them up to date on the development of the game.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

Part of the crowd funding model is keeping the community active, large and engaged. There is nothing wrong with holding these events to update people on whats happening and give a little something back to the fans as it only helps to keep buzz high.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Oh, man I have a gaming PC now....this is on the list of things I might really jump into.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to be a dick but if I come off as one I apologize in advance. Anyway here goes - People have literally contributed up to tens of thousands of dollars on the belief that is going to be the greatest gaming experience of all times. That is a lot of hype to live up to and no matter how good Star Citizen is or isn't people are going to be disappointed. I've read many a different thread of people having already set up guilds, planned out their course of action once they start playing, and talking about how they emptied out their savings (or in one sad case emptied their 401k) to support this game. I get being excited about the announcement or wanting to help out an Indie developer but the way Star Citizen is still pumping people for money feels exploitative and wrong. At some point people have to stop and wonder where all this money is going and if any game(regardless of quality) is worth hundreds upon thousands of your hard earned dollars.

Maybe it's me but I think crowd funding should only be used for smaller projects like under $500k. Once you get past that you are getting into territory where people should have financial stakes in the product like an actual investor.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@bartok: I'm incredibly curious to see what the hell this thing ends up being, purely because of the absurd amount of funding it's gotten.

It feels like such a bizarre outlier in the whole crowd-funding boom.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most bizarre thing is the fervour around ship ownership as Patrick's worth reading article he linked to showed. CIG have constantly stated that Lifetime Insurance is a very small difference to non-LTI but I suppose any difference in value generates demand. I really do envy the high-income members who casually drop thousands on ships like it was spare change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selbie said:

The most bizarre thing is the fervour around ship ownership as Patrick's worth reading article he linked to showed. CIG have constantly stated that Lifetime Insurance is a very small difference to non-LTI but I suppose any difference in value generates demand. I really do envy the high-income members who casually drop thousands on ships like it was spare change.

Going to ask some silly questions - Everything I've read about the game is people swearing that it isn't "pay 2 win", so why the expensive ships? Will there be resentment for people who didn't fund a red cent and just wait for the game to be released before buying it? Finally is there an actual concrete release date for this game?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By selbie

@bartok said:

@selbie said:

Going to ask some silly questions - Everything I've read about the game is people swearing that it isn't "pay 2 win", so why the expensive ships? Will there be resentment for people who didn't fund a red cent and just wait for the game to be released before buying it? Finally is there an actual concrete release date for this game?

No release date, aside from 2016. It's too early in development.

From what I've read people saying on the forums, the ships are to:

a) Help fund development and increase the funding tally

b) Get the ships they want early due to busy life commitments

c) Resell as easy credits in the early persistent universe.

Yes there will be people annoyed because they think they are special snowflakes riding limited edition space unicorns, but that's their own fault.

As for the Pay 2 Win perception, we can only hope they don't go down that rabbit hole. The game is skill based so there is a good chance it won't be as bad as some think. Judging by the way people drop thousands on anything over there, all they have to do is release cosmetic items and people will buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.