Star Citizen is now on Kickstarter

#1 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -
#2 Posted by masterpaperlink (1850 posts) -

iiiiinteresting

#3 Posted by selbie (1929 posts) -

....aaand, it's already over $100K in the first day or so.

Makes you wonder where it would be at if they had gone straight to Kickstarter.

#4 Posted by Subjugation (4724 posts) -

Wait, hold on. They already had a crowd funding thing going on with their own website, right? And now they're on Kickstarter as well? Is it just for the added exposure Kickstarter has? I'm just confused as to why they are essentially doing the same thing in two places.

#5 Posted by Nights (615 posts) -

@selbie said:

Well, he's already raised about a million via his website (which I believe is using a service similar to Kickstarter), right? I'd imagine that's why the Kickstarter goal is "only" $500,000.

#6 Edited by Dragon_Fire (368 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

Wait, hold on. They already had a crowd funding thing going on with their own website, right? And now they're on Kickstarter as well? Is it just for the added exposure Kickstarter has? I'm just confused as to why they are essentially doing the same thing in two places.

I'm pretty sure it was because their website kept dying because of the traffic, and also it was requested from a lot of the fans.

Here is his video explaining why they moved to Kickstarter.

#7 Posted by Giantstalker (1680 posts) -

@Subjugation: There were a lot of technical issues on the main website, meaning many people couldn't even pledge if they wanted to.

Kickstarter is just a backup. Most big projects use Kickstarter as the main drive and have an alternate method to pay (ie... PayPal), just seems Star Citizen is doing this the other way around.

Anyway, as soon as I found out the Valve space game (SOB?) was probably just a false rumor, I decided I would support this game. I just haven't decided what level I'll back it at; more info on the ships would be nice.

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4724 posts) -

@Dragon_Fire: Perfect. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it.

#9 Posted by Dragon_Fire (368 posts) -

@Subjugation: Your Welcome, and glad to help.

#10 Posted by selbie (1929 posts) -

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@selbie said:

Well, he's already raised about a million via his website (which I believe is using a service similar to Kickstarter), right? I'd imagine that's why the Kickstarter goal is "only" $500,000.

That's what I'm saying. A lot of what held people back from pledging was the fact that the site was a) crashing frequently, and b) wasn't using kickstarter (ie. a familiar service). During GDC the website was slammed with over a million hits. If he had gone straight to kickstarter, they would have already blown past the $1M mark a few days ago. Then he could have opened the alternate pledge system to allow PayPal payments etc. thereby attracting even more funding.

I guess he's reached the same scenario except in reverse, so soon he'll be rolling in cash in no time anyway.

#11 Edited by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

I will admit I was going to pledge through his website but I was a lite weary on it.. but now I'm a confident pledging through Kickstarter

@selbie said:

@HumanoidTyphoon said:

@selbie said:

That's what I'm saying. A lot of what held people back from pledging was the fact that the site was a) crashing frequently, and b) wasn't using kickstarter (ie. a familiar service). During GDC the website was slammed with over a million hits. If he had gone straight to kickstarter, they would have already blown past the $1M mark a few days ago. Then he could have opened the alternate pledge system to allow PayPal payments etc. thereby attracting even more funding.

I guess he's reached the same scenario except in reverse, so soon he'll be rolling in cash in no time anyway.

Chris Roberts in cat form
#12 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

Good to hear!

#13 Posted by selbie (1929 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

I will admit I was going to pledge through his website but I was a lite weary on it.. but now I'm a confident pledging through Kickstarter

Accurate...but not quite...those bills are only ones and twenties!! :P

Like a Boss
#14 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

@selbie said:

@Genkkaku said:

Accurate...but not quite...those bills are only ones and twenties!! :P

Like a Boss
Touché!
#15 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -
@selbie: Any idea if they add the money raised directly to what they got via their own site?
#16 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

This game is pretty much the thing I have been waiting for since I found out about the infinity game, but since that has a small team and is still in development, star citizen seems like it will be the flagship space sim.

#17 Posted by selbie (1929 posts) -

@emem: I'm not entirely certain if the total on their main site includes the KS pledges, but both crowdfunding sources will be taken if both sites reach their goals. If the KS side doesn't reach the goal then that will not be funded.

#18 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

Throwing down 5 on kickstarter as well as 125 on the main page.

#19 Posted by selbie (1929 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.