Good News, Bad News, Confusing News About Star Fox 64 3D

• 67 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -
Star Fox 64, aka the best Star Fox.

While the lack of new content has me cautious about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (ahem, not to mention the distinct lack of Majora's Mask), I could, however, go for a little more Star Fox in my life. Andriasang was following Japanese retailer Shibuya's Twitter feed during a Nintendo retail conference in Japan, wherein some new wrinkles about Star Fox 64 3D came out. Take a deep breath.

For one, the game will feature a 3DS mode, N64 mode and Battle mode. It's unclear whether the visuals revert to the original Nintendo 64 stylings during N64 mode, but that'd be a neat option. The differentiator may, however, refer to controls, as in 3DS mode, you're controlling the Arwing with 3DS' gyroscope. Players who were rightfully worried about forced motion controls can calm down.

As you might imagine, Battle mode refers to multiplayer, with Star Fox 64 3D supporting four players simultaneously. You'll even be able to send a temporary copy of the game to a nearby 3DS to increase the player count via download play. Buuuuuuut here comes the real bummer: there's no online support.

What? Argh. Dammit, Nintendo. I know, I know, I shouldn't have such high expectations, but still. Still.

Argh.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -
Star Fox 64, aka the best Star Fox.

While the lack of new content has me cautious about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (ahem, not to mention the distinct lack of Majora's Mask), I could, however, go for a little more Star Fox in my life. Andriasang was following Japanese retailer Shibuya's Twitter feed during a Nintendo retail conference in Japan, wherein some new wrinkles about Star Fox 64 3D came out. Take a deep breath.

For one, the game will feature a 3DS mode, N64 mode and Battle mode. It's unclear whether the visuals revert to the original Nintendo 64 stylings during N64 mode, but that'd be a neat option. The differentiator may, however, refer to controls, as in 3DS mode, you're controlling the Arwing with 3DS' gyroscope. Players who were rightfully worried about forced motion controls can calm down.

As you might imagine, Battle mode refers to multiplayer, with Star Fox 64 3D supporting four players simultaneously. You'll even be able to send a temporary copy of the game to a nearby 3DS to increase the player count via download play. Buuuuuuut here comes the real bummer: there's no online support.

What? Argh. Dammit, Nintendo. I know, I know, I shouldn't have such high expectations, but still. Still.

Argh.

Staff
#2 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

Nintendo does it again baby

#3 Edited by MediaJunky (15 posts) -

Wow, always loved the n64 version.

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

OK!

#5 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

"ahem, not to mention the distinct lack of Majora's Mask"  

Oh jeez, Patrick is one of THOSE?
#6 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Meh, I never really liked the multiplayer that much.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

On the one hand, what the fuck, Nintendo? On the other hand, who the hell plays Star Fox 64 for the multiplayer? That would be like playing Left 4 Dead 2 alone, controller in hand.

#8 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (954 posts) -

It's Nintendo, any online capability has always been a fluke or afterthought at it's best.

#9 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Majora's mask was great.

#10 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I think I'm gonna file this under "Indifferent News".

#11 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

"No online omgz"..
So what?

#12 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

To be honest I wasn't even expecting online play for this, since I'll be perfectly happy gettin' my medals.

#13 Posted by MforMaverick (119 posts) -

I'm not surprised one bit that Nintendo didn't add online. I'm happy there will be multiplayer though.

#14 Posted by ZmillA (2261 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" "ahem, not to mention the distinct lack of Majora's Mask"  

"
patrick keeps getting better and better in my book
#15 Posted by Hailinel (23941 posts) -

People wanted online play in a Star Fox 64 remake?

More shocking, people actually played the multiplayer in Star Fox 64?

#16 Edited by WJist (313 posts) -

Hell yeah Star Fox 64! You were totally one of the first games I ever 100%. Looking forward to doing it again. Multiplayer was....something. Dudes on pyramids with laser launchers was a little weird.

In college, I played this drunk and it gave me instant vertigo. Let's hope the 3DS version doesn't do that to me again.

#17 Posted by Sammo21 (3213 posts) -

Sad part is the DS Starfox had online play.  Why couldn't they just put new multiplayer in the game?  Also, motion controls = No Thanks, Nintendo.  hopefully its optional.

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

As much as I love Star Fox 64, it's not like the Battle Mode was ever that great in the N64 version, so does it really matter that we can't take it online?

Though I always did get a kick out of running around on foot shooting at Arwings.
#19 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

I can now hear "Do a barrel roll" wherever i go now.

#20 Posted by Evilsbane (4541 posts) -

WHAT Nintendo dropping the ball on online? Never

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" On the one hand, what the fuck, Nintendo? On the other hand, who the hell plays Star Fox 64 for the multiplayer? That would be like playing Left 4 Dead 2 alone, controller in hand. "
Exactly this. It seems silly not to have online support, but I wouldn't be using it anyways so I don't really care.
#22 Edited by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Hopefully they are saving the online battle mode for a SF64 style iteration on project cafe. Now that is delusional even by Nintendo Fanboy standards.

#23 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

The best star fox implies that the games made after 64 also count as star fox games. I'd say Star Fox and 64 are both the same amount of amazing.

#24 Edited by MeatSim (10774 posts) -

Never really got into Star Fox 64 multiplayer.

#26 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Ugh, spoilers!  That pic shows the boss at the end of the secret route on Corneria.

#27 Posted by Sinnix (29 posts) -

I don't know, even when Nintendo does include multiplayer they seldom get it right. If they're incapable of going all the way, then why bother?

I play Starfox DS multiplayer with my kids on long road trips, it's one of our favourites. I can totally see us upgrading to the newer version if the... wait what do they even call it? Adhoc? LAN? Local?  Anyway, if the multiplayer is improved I'll buy it!
#28 Posted by Skytylz (4030 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" People wanted online play in a Star Fox 64 remake?More shocking, people actually played the multiplayer in Star Fox 64? "
I loved this game and I don't even remember it having muliplayer lol.
#29 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@RYNO9881 said:
" Majora's mask was great. "
Yeah, probably the most atmospheric Zelda game.
#30 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Nintendo will never move into the modern era.

#31 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

Hi my names Nintendo we have your old rehashed games awaiting your arrival!

#32 Edited by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

" While the lack of new content has me cautious about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D..."

That's not entirely accurate. All of the dungeons were redesigned. I'm sure they won't be drastically different, but at least they won't be boring exercises in pattern recall.

Yeah, I know, semantics... :P
#33 Posted by Somestickguy_ (8 posts) -
@ZmillA said:
" @Milkman said:

"
patrick keeps getting better and better in my book "
Yep, Majora's Mask is fantastic. Completely blindsided me when I went into it having read of other people's negative opinions. I dare say I like it more than OOT. Maybe tied with Wind Waker.
#34 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Unless they're significantly revamping the multiplayer for SF64, I'm not down about the lack of online. Star Fox was mainly a single player game for me. Well, it really doesn't matter to me since my N64 and SF64 are a few feet away from me, but still.

#35 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -
@MagusMaleficus said:
" " While the lack of new content has me cautious about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D..."

That's not entirely accurate. All of the dungeons were redesigned. I'm sure they won't be drastically different, but at least they won't be boring exercises in pattern recall.

Yeah, I know, semantics... :P
"
That was Master Quest though which has been released before.

BUT Zelda 3DS is coming with a new mode where you can fight a bunch of the bosses over and over again. So that's new.
#36 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

Star Fox 64 multiplayer was always pointless, so no loss really IMO.  I loved the game back when it came out, but then I didn't have my own money, so playing the same game 150 times for high scores made sense.  Now I see myself paying $40, playing it twice over the course of two hours, and never touching it again.  No thanks.

#37 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Starfox 64 sucked balls like most everything on the ninendo's failure known as the nintendo 64.
The SNES game was far  superior.

When is the fucking 3Ds going to get real games and not Horrible N64 games like this and Zelda, ao there can be a point to buying one? Worst fucking launch line up  nintendo has ever done and it still has crap.

The virtual boy had better games at launch it had fucking mario tennis.
#38 Posted by Behonkiss (68 posts) -
@Cubical said:
" Starfox 64 sucked balls like most everything on the ninendo's failure known as the nintendo 64.
The SNES game was far  superior.

When is the fucking 3Ds going to get real games and not Horrible N64 games like this and Zelda, ao there can be a point to buying one? Worst fucking launch line up  nintendo has ever done and it still has crap.

The virtual boy had better games at launch it had fucking mario tennis.
"
Do you hate fun or something?
#39 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -
@Cubical:
That is just crazy talk.
#40 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

the multiplayer in this game was mostly circling each other hoping one person would mess up anyways. I dont' see it being there for more than novelty. Online wasn't necessary, nobody would use it anyways. That said it would have been good as an option.

#41 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

Is anyone else sick of nintendo rehasing their games and coming out with almost nothing original? I love star fox but a whole new game would be much better then a remake. 

#42 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

It's about time Nintendo go online, this is just ridiculous :x

#43 Posted by Hailinel (23941 posts) -
@SSully said:
" Is anyone else sick of nintendo rehasing their games and coming out with almost nothing original? I love star fox but a whole new game would be much better then a remake.  "
There have been newer Star Fox games, but honestly, none of them have been as good as Star Fox 64.  That's not nostalgia speaking, either, as much as I'd like it to be.
#44 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -
@ZmillA said:
" @Milkman said:

"
#45 Posted by Funger (34 posts) -

I do love me some Patrick.

#46 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@rudeboy217 said:
" @ZmillA said:
" @Milkman said:

"
"
#47 Posted by TigerDX (338 posts) -

The store is called Tsutaya, and Shibuya is a district of Tokyo, so it's the Shibuya Tsutaya Twitter feed. I used to rent DVDs at my local Tsutaya, before Twitter or streaming services existed.

We used to watch movies. From a disc!
#48 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

Multiplayer is always better in person at least. Maybe it's a technical issue?

#49 Posted by thebazel (62 posts) -

Having an online component isn't exactly high expectations these days..it's standard. Getting new IPs from Nintendo instead of remaking their entire 64 library - that's a high expectation.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (23941 posts) -
@gorkamorkaorka said:
" Multiplayer is always better in person at least. Maybe it's a technical issue? "
I don't think it's a technical issue as much as it is a "this isn't really necessary, so we're not going to put in the effort" issue.  As much as people demand online play these days, the multiplayer component of Star Fox 64 isn't the primary reason why the game is remembered.  More than anything, it felt like an afterthought when I played it.  It just wasn't much fun.  My friends and I played around in it a bit, but we quickly went back to controller swapping the single-player portion and playing multiplayer GoldenEye.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.