Star Fox 3D to Utilize Gyro Sensor for Moving Your Arwing

Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

Could use a few more health meters in the UI.
When Nintendo showed a 3D version of Star Fox 64 at E3 2010, no one was quite sure if Nintendo was showing how to easily add autostereoscopic visuals to older titles or a game we'd be buying. Well, that's no longer a mystery; Star Fox 64 3D ships July 14 in Japan, with a US release to be announced.

"In addition, on July 14, we are planning to release Star Fox 64 3D, revealed Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, as part of yesterday's financial detailing, "which is a newly-arranged version of Star Fox 64, the most well-known game of all the 3D shooting games in the time of Nintendo 64, and in which we offer a new feature that uses a gyro sensor to control Arwing, who flies around the 3D space."

It's unclear what Nintendo means by "newly-arranged." Are we talking The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D-style tweaks and upgrades, or simply swapping around the stage selection for those who have already played Star Fox 64 to death (read: me)? What'll have more of an impact on the gameplay, however, is the addition of using the gyro sensor to control your personal Arwing. The addition of new control mechanics is not necessarily a bad thing, but here's hoping there's an option to turn it off.

That way, we're all happy! Unless you didn't like Star Fox 64. But that'd make me sad; I loved that tank.    

At least, I remember loving it. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.
Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4127 posts) -

Could use a few more health meters in the UI.
When Nintendo showed a 3D version of Star Fox 64 at E3 2010, no one was quite sure if Nintendo was showing how to easily add autostereoscopic visuals to older titles or a game we'd be buying. Well, that's no longer a mystery; Star Fox 64 3D ships July 14 in Japan, with a US release to be announced.

"In addition, on July 14, we are planning to release Star Fox 64 3D, revealed Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, as part of yesterday's financial detailing, "which is a newly-arranged version of Star Fox 64, the most well-known game of all the 3D shooting games in the time of Nintendo 64, and in which we offer a new feature that uses a gyro sensor to control Arwing, who flies around the 3D space."

It's unclear what Nintendo means by "newly-arranged." Are we talking The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D-style tweaks and upgrades, or simply swapping around the stage selection for those who have already played Star Fox 64 to death (read: me)? What'll have more of an impact on the gameplay, however, is the addition of using the gyro sensor to control your personal Arwing. The addition of new control mechanics is not necessarily a bad thing, but here's hoping there's an option to turn it off.

That way, we're all happy! Unless you didn't like Star Fox 64. But that'd make me sad; I loved that tank.    

At least, I remember loving it. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.
Staff
#2 Edited by Espio25 (31 posts) -

Pew pew pew!

#3 Edited by solidlife (877 posts) -

Dam you espio

I retract my Dam you. As i got the Quest. As for starfox i would rather have SF adventures :P 
#4 Posted by Zelnox (387 posts) -

Wouldn't using the gyro clash with the viewing angle for the 3D effect?

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@Zelnox: Stop asking questions and smile at what Nintendo gives you... or else.
#6 Posted by AsKo25 (59 posts) -

how fun would the tank be with the gyro?

#7 Edited by Contro (2040 posts) -

These changes Miyamoto has alluded to have come about because he was concerned by the ease of the game when playing in 3D. Whatever the new mode turns out to be (the main campaign won't change), I will welcome it, I'm sure many people like myself have the attack patterns memorised.

edit:

Gyro-control is certainly optional. All Gyro-sensing games have a prompt asking you to switch down the 3D slider. 
#8 Posted by raiz265 (2238 posts) -
@AsKo25 said:
" how fun would the tank be with the gyro? "
i'd be sliding and rolling through my room like a monkey, the hovering could prove to be relatively hard to do
#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Lord, I love Star Fox 64. The new gyro mode sounds interesting, but I can't imagine actually playing it like that. I'm terrible with motion controlled games (Warioware: Twisted and Kirby's Tilt and Tumble being examples).

#10 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

It would have been so awesome if the game used the microphone too - "DO A BARREL ROLL!"    

#11 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -
@Zelnox said:
" Wouldn't using the gyro clash with the viewing angle for the 3D effect? "
This.
#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10911 posts) -

If you can't turn off the motion controlled flying, I'm totally not buying this game. 

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I love Starfox 64. I...actually kind of want to play it in 3D. This is a weird feeling. GET IT OUT OF ME!

#14 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

Sorry I may have misplaced my rose-tinted specs but why are we using the latest technology to play 14 year old games?

#15 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

Pro tip: Playing this game while hungover...will not give you vertigo. Cheers!

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

What, what, no no no this is NOT how I want to play anything! I just wanna sit there, and press the buttons, not move the 3DS around, thats just crazy nonsense.
#17 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Bitching about optional gameplay components, wow. Gamers are such losers.

#18 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

It's still fun to play but it doesn't have the impact that it once did.

#19 Posted by SpaceGandhi (71 posts) -

Would just like to say that Klepek has been doing an amazing job with these news stories. He's a fantastic addition to GiantBomb!

#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Well that sounds like a completely non-retarded idea on a 3D console with an extremely limited viewing angle...

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Star Fox still plays well, so that's cool. Hopefully they don't mess with it much at all.

#22 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

I'm guessing you can turn it off and use the 3D or turn off the 3D and use gyros.

Look whatever just give it to me right now.

#23 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Cool beans.

#24 Posted by anon463728 (33 posts) -

Wow, it's a bit unusual to see so many Nintendo related news article on Giant Bomb. Thumbs up, Patrick!

#25 Edited by ChrisInCali (146 posts) -

Gyro sensor sure ain't a no replacement for a second analog stick.  Also, LOL at how many games will come out for this thing that use it, and than ask you turn the 3D off because of how small the sweet spot is.  Thanks Nintendo for making this system.  $250, what a steal.

#26 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@ChrisInCali:  Have you even played Star Fox 64? There is no second analog stick on the N64 either.
#27 Posted by Waffles13 (609 posts) -

Nostalgia nothing! Star Fox still plays awesomely today, even after playing it hundreds of times as a little kid. It's on VC, go play it again, Klepek!

#28 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Why would I ever want to play Starfox 64 with a gyroscope? I mean seriously, how could that ever be fun? Is this going to also be how you're aiming? Because that would impossible.

#29 Posted by pikeplacer (388 posts) -

StarFoxA will be proud

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.