Just bought this game and have a few questions

#1 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

Hey people, I've just bought Star Ocean: The Last Hope before as fancied a game that would last me a while and was told this would suffice. However, I never really got into many JRPGs and always end up putting them away, I'm hoping it will be different this time. Anyways, after never even touching and rarely hearing about a Star Ocean game I have a few questions about it. 

Will I need to know any previous knowledge about other games before I start playing?

How long and difficult is the story? 
Is it actually a good game? 

Thanks for reading.

#2 Edited by SlashDance (1758 posts) -

You don't need to know about previous games. You will only miss some minor references. It's all new characters and story.

It takes about 30 to 50 hours to play through the game if my memory serves, maybe a bit more depending on your play style. That is if you only do the main story.

If you want to go all out and go up to level 255, it's gonna be a LOT longer than that. Like several hundreds of hours longer. It's a crazy long game.

I didn't like it enough to go past the main quest though. But it's a competent game so if you get into the story you can play this for a long time.

As for the difficulty, it does have different modes so if you think it's too hard you can always play on easy. I don't know if you can change on the fly though. Probably not.

#3 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -
@SlashDance said:

You don't need to know about previous games. You will only miss some minor references. It's all new characters and story.

It takes about 30 to 50 hours to play through the game if my memory serves, maybe a bit more depending on your play style. That is if you only do the main story.

If you want to go all out and go up to level 255, it's gonna be a LOT longer than that. Like several hundreds of hours longer. It's a crazy long game.

I didn't like it enough to go past the main quest though. But it's a competent game so if you get into the story you can play this for a long time.

Cheers man, I'm the kinda guy who just plays through the main story and that's it and that's why I never finish these kinda games as I'm not strong enough towards the last boss. Are there lots of side quests to do?
#4 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

There's a few. Lemme know how many cutscenes you manage to get through. Never has a game been so fucking annoying haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.