The JRPG Wall

Posted by InhumanWhisper (8 posts) -

I have played a few JRPG’s over the years, ranging from .Hack to Final Fantasy, Star Ocean Till The End of Time to Demon’s souls and no matter how easy the rest of the game has been I always hit the wall, the part of the game that becomes so difficult out of nowhere that you just give up. I bought Star Ocean the last hope the other day for around £5 a bargain I thought and have been enjoying it. Looking at forums after I beat a dungeon and I find that I am over leveled which is most likely the reason that I am finding the parts so easy. However (spoilers coming) I have reached a part of the story which I am assuming is where shit gets serious and we are on the true quest, the PHANTOMS... During the cutscene which introduces them (kind of) the game shows you around 20 enemies and I thought to myself, I’m over leveled hear I’ll be fine! How wrong I was... after the 7th “ambush” I got to a part where the enemies became incredibly strong out of nowhere and kicked my ass stunning me and preventing me form healing or reviving allies if they went down. 

After a few more tries and trying new tactics, then failing miserably, I decided to leave it for tonight, due to frustration, I will most likely come back tomorrow and find that I can slaughter the enemies really easily and if not I will grind a bit more so that I really am over leveled. 

But now that I have come off I have thought about the JRPG’s that I have played in the past and where I got stuck and if I carried on, most of the time I didn’t, disappointing myself but not without trying repeatedly to get past the point.

.HACK Infection - Last Boss - Having to go back through the dungeon every time I wanted to retry the boss was not my idea of fun and I sold the game.

Demon’s Souls - World 5.2 - Not so much stuck but giving it a break as I got frustrated not being able to dodge this big ogre thing’s club because my character won’t roll in the swamp

Final Fantasy PSP - Couldn’t figure out where to go, don’t like using guides may go back to it some day.

Monster Hunter Tri - My friends stopped playing it and I found no people of my skill level to help me (Just before Altareon)

Infinite Undiscovery - Getting to the part where Edward goes crazy, kept getting killed, wasn’t enjoying the game much anyway, sold the game.

Lost Odyssey - The Arthrosaurus attacks where you have to fight 4 and swap between them, killed the first one easily the second one always killed me. After that I couldn’t find anywhere to grind, got bored, sold the game.

These are the few that I can remember, I really enjoyed them up until those points (except for Infinite Undiscovery, I really disliked that). I probably could have gotten further than that on them however I felt like I was wasting my time with some of them, also 1 or 2 were due to a lack of skill.

Let me know what you think about “the JRPG Wall” and if you have experienced it yourself.

#1 Posted by InhumanWhisper (8 posts) -

I have played a few JRPG’s over the years, ranging from .Hack to Final Fantasy, Star Ocean Till The End of Time to Demon’s souls and no matter how easy the rest of the game has been I always hit the wall, the part of the game that becomes so difficult out of nowhere that you just give up. I bought Star Ocean the last hope the other day for around £5 a bargain I thought and have been enjoying it. Looking at forums after I beat a dungeon and I find that I am over leveled which is most likely the reason that I am finding the parts so easy. However (spoilers coming) I have reached a part of the story which I am assuming is where shit gets serious and we are on the true quest, the PHANTOMS... During the cutscene which introduces them (kind of) the game shows you around 20 enemies and I thought to myself, I’m over leveled hear I’ll be fine! How wrong I was... after the 7th “ambush” I got to a part where the enemies became incredibly strong out of nowhere and kicked my ass stunning me and preventing me form healing or reviving allies if they went down. 

After a few more tries and trying new tactics, then failing miserably, I decided to leave it for tonight, due to frustration, I will most likely come back tomorrow and find that I can slaughter the enemies really easily and if not I will grind a bit more so that I really am over leveled. 

But now that I have come off I have thought about the JRPG’s that I have played in the past and where I got stuck and if I carried on, most of the time I didn’t, disappointing myself but not without trying repeatedly to get past the point.

.HACK Infection - Last Boss - Having to go back through the dungeon every time I wanted to retry the boss was not my idea of fun and I sold the game.

Demon’s Souls - World 5.2 - Not so much stuck but giving it a break as I got frustrated not being able to dodge this big ogre thing’s club because my character won’t roll in the swamp

Final Fantasy PSP - Couldn’t figure out where to go, don’t like using guides may go back to it some day.

Monster Hunter Tri - My friends stopped playing it and I found no people of my skill level to help me (Just before Altareon)

Infinite Undiscovery - Getting to the part where Edward goes crazy, kept getting killed, wasn’t enjoying the game much anyway, sold the game.

Lost Odyssey - The Arthrosaurus attacks where you have to fight 4 and swap between them, killed the first one easily the second one always killed me. After that I couldn’t find anywhere to grind, got bored, sold the game.

These are the few that I can remember, I really enjoyed them up until those points (except for Infinite Undiscovery, I really disliked that). I probably could have gotten further than that on them however I felt like I was wasting my time with some of them, also 1 or 2 were due to a lack of skill.

Let me know what you think about “the JRPG Wall” and if you have experienced it yourself.

#2 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Damn.  You got that for $5?  That said, I have started and not finished more JRPGs than all other genres combined.

#3 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

Most of the time when this happens to me it's because I never really knew the proper strategies to use in the game, and this was just the part where the game stopped being easy enough to just attack attack attack and survive. Usually after reading up on stuff from gamefaqs or forums I realize the error of my ways and get through the part without much trouble.

#4 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

I don't think I died a single time in .Hack but I think that was because I was always over leveled since I did every side quest. 

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Pretty much for all of what I read. It just seems your guys are just under leveled. 

#6 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Yeah JRPGs are the games I have beat the most of. But they totally do have the wall. I reach the wall every team I advance in chapter in Valkyria Chronicles now (awesome gay, way too hard for me). And that boss in .Hack//INfection was a bitch. I overleveled then bought 99 of all those potions that raised attack and defence and everythin and just used them whenever they wore off. I used aobut 60 of each.

#7 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -
@davidwitten22: Do you remember what party you used in .Hack? It seems like everyone but me had trouble with that boss.
#8 Posted by InhumanWhisper (8 posts) -
@DarkShaper: It was around 3, maybe 4 years ago so I have no idea what party I used, sorry. Though I remember on .hack if you were even a level below the boss he would cream you no matter how skilled you were.
#9 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:
" @davidwitten22: Do you remember what party you used in .Hack? It seems like everyone but me had trouble with that boss. "
Kite, Half Naked Tan Chick, and the big axe dude with the kid face and the voice of a kid. I think. It was forever ago.
#10 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -
@davidwitten22:  Black Rose, And Piros btw. I always used a mage like Elk or Mistral that might have done it.
#11 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:
" @davidwitten22:  Black Rose, And Piros btw. I always used a mage like Elk or Mistral that might have done it. "
The mages in that game are really weak and underpowered imo.
#12 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -
@davidwitten22: If you level Mistral up enough she is the best support in the game imo.
#13 Posted by Jeust (10477 posts) -

I also suffer from the "wall" effect. 

I finished Persona 3 Fes, Nier, Ilusion of Time and .Hack Infection, still i mostly run into walls and just leave the game there to rot.  :(

• Final Fantasy X - I reached one of the last battles, against Seymour, and gave up. I was way underleveled, and i wasn't going to level up in random encounters, as i HATE  that old and washed out mechanic.
  • Final Fantasy XII - I love the game, but it's just too immersive. I reached Fran's city, did the quests there, and gave up upon leaving the city.
  • Lost Odyssey - I'm in the last dvd, still i have next the bullshit boss fights with awkward conditions to win.
  • Persona 4 - I'm at the second boss in the lab dungeon, and i need to level up to beat him, and i don't feel like it. 
  • Infinite Undiscovery - got bored.
#14 Posted by Daroki (709 posts) -

For the Demon's Souls swamp, use the Thief's Ring so you can approach the troll without him noticing you right away and after picking off his henchmen with a bow, get up on the island with him.  Roll right so you don't roll into his big swing and you should be fine.  Use the same tactic on the ones you'll find later, just make sure to either lure them to solid ground, or get on solid ground fast.

#15 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I'm playing Lost Odyssey right now.  I had major troubles with the third or fourth boss in the game, but since then it's been a total cakewalk.  I did level my dudes up in the secret cave before fighting the Arthrosaursuses, though, so I was able to wipe them out really easily.

#16 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

Persona 3. It took me four attempts on the final boss, each attempt taking around 90 minutes.

#17 Edited by animateria (3252 posts) -

Etrian Odyssey II. Sometimes it's the boss mechanics (One of the Bosses puts up a protective barrier but takes damage normally then counter attacks all the hits he took into 1 single group attack, killing my whole party during his turn), but a lot of times it's because I was under leveled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.