I dont know what got into me, but I´ve decided to write a few lines about my impressions regarding Star Trek Online. Here it goes:
I have no love for Star Trek, I find the original series un-watchable and TNG kind of lame and boring; some stuff in the universe is neat but it has never grabbed me and, because of that, I never really thought about trying STO until it became F2P. Now that we got that out of the way: Im really enjoying this game so far.
- It looks fine.
- Sound design is cool but the music is not great.
- The systems in place are neat and a welcome change from the standard MMO formula (Im looking at you SWTOR).
- Space combat is very interesting and ground combat is ok.
- The sidekick team, Im sorry "officers", is cool cause it lets you customize a great deal of the experience and if you are willing to put your imagination to work on top of that you can have a lot of fun.
- This game, more than any other that I´ve played so far, can get away with heavily instanced content because of it´s setting (fucking space). Here it kind of makes sense to be flying around in mostly empty environments and it actually adds to the experience.
- I can´t really talk about high level content cause I started a few days ago, but the game make a good first impression and I will probably keep on playing it for a while.
Bottom line: It´s worth a try even if you don´t find the setting appealing.
Let me know if there is a living GB guild that would be willing to acommodate me and my crew or if anybody wants to join me in my space adventures!
I dont really know any Star Trek references to insert a clever joke here, so I guess that´s the end of this.