Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Cryptic developer tries to explain STO's failure

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lockwoodx

In a heavy debate over why CCP EvE online has had much success over Cryptic studios Star Trek Online... the truth finally comes out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rekhan
    It's very hard to lay people off in Europe. I'm not sure an American company would have gone in the same personnel direction as CCP. (Not trying to be political - there's a LOT that goes into a company's decision making process, but national labor policies do factor in.) I doubt anyone at CCP would have considered doing anything but what they did anyway, but keeping their team relatively large during those tough first years helped them develop content and fix stuff at a very fast rate.

So because it's harder to lay off Europeans, they stayed together as a studio longer and made greater things???? LOL weaksauce

Stick a fork in it guys. This one is done. I'm never buying a Cryptic game ever again.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

CCP is competent. Cryptic is not. Case closed. Still waiting for them to announce a price cut. Or the servers shut down for STO. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Cryptic is lazy as shit. CO and STO literally use the same infrastructure(UI, instancing, creation, etc), except STO uses different colors for the UI. Their games have next to no content. Example: I literally ran through about 20+ levels and saw the WHOLE world (except Vibora Bay because it just came out at the time) in ONE WEEKEND. And no, I didn't play all day. Their quests are almost all the same and the powers are all jacked up. Please don't get me started on all the things wrong with Telekinesis lol. Ok ok, I need to stop. But yes, I don't like bashing developers, but Cryptic doesn't seem to learn it's lesson at all and they don't seem to care.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Legend

I can't believe you're still reading those forums. Heck, even I'm a lifetime subscriber and it has been a couple of months since I visited those forums. So much negativity and bullshit going on there. The game is what it is, love it or hate, we're past that now. Those who like it continue to subscribe and play it, and those who don't stopped playing it and moved on.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend said:

" Those who like it continue to subscribe and play it, and those who don't stopped playing it and moved on. "

STO has very few subscribers. It's 90% life timers. I really don't read these forums anymore... but once a week I check out the STO forums for a good laugh. When I saw this dev comment I just had to share it's sheer stupidity, a clear example of who's behind the game and who Cryptic has on their staff. The thing is, kicking a dog while it's down is  necessary every once in a while because if they do manage to get back up, people might praise them for doing a good job when they haven't. That has been a leading cause of how publishers like Atari and studios like Cryptic get away with so much bullshit. As consumers we cannot support such half-assed snake oil selling bullshitters. They do not deserve jobs if they cannot release credible material. It's up to the next generations to learn from their mistakes, not emulate them because after a year of shit they pulled it off and got a pat on the back for it.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By sixghost

I've never played the game, but judging from the STO mini-ER, that game looked so dated.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By septim
    @sixghost said:
    " I've never played the game, but judging from the STO mini-ER, that game looked so dated. "
    Yeah I watched a couple episodes of that and all I could think was Cryptic would have to pay me a monthly subscription to play that shit.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By metal_mills

You take a fanchice with a large fan base. You remove everything the fan base loves(exploration, roaming the ship, interacting with crew, large open systems) and replace it with slap dash combat, and a truly horrific world that looks nothing more than a board game. The game was a failure before it even launched. Star Trek could have been an AMAZING MMO. I was thinking something like EVE but more casual friendly. Shame. Oh well, there's always Star Trek: Excalibur which looks amazing and if made by people who are huge star trek fans and understand what people want.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By EdIsCool

I played the beta for a few days and then quit. The main reason for quitting was that the game wasnt what I wanted, I wanted to be in Star Trek.
    The problem is that graphics are 9/10ths of immersion. What I wanted was a Star Trek RPG with AAA production values, what I got was an MMO. MMOs are designed to appeal to older people who dont upgrade their system that often if ever. This is why WOW looks like ass(an ass with awesome art design, but still an ass)  and has  a pretty mature  player base. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Great just when I was starting to get into Star Trek in general...

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Great just when I was starting to get into Star Trek in general... "
    You can only call this Star Trek because it uses name and some likeness. 
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Great just when I was starting to get into Star Trek in general... "
    You can only call this Star Trek because it uses name and some likeness.  "
    Yeah I was just being silly. But anyways, I loved the 2009 movie to death and it has inspired me to go back and watch all the original Treks. Would be awesome to get every season in blu-ray box sets.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

your avatar got boosted laughing, or is he your groupie?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Rhaknar said:
    " your avatar got boosted laughing, or is he your groupie? "
    Synergy? Of he comes and goes. I saw him a month ago and he poped back or somthin. 
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane

This games problem besides it being a rush job was that it has fucking nothing to do with star trek. When has Star Trek been about Combat? There was little to none in ALL the shows that ever came out, in fact the few episodes that did focus on combat are consider the weakest by far.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Evilsbane said:
    " This games problem besides it being a rush job was that it has fucking nothing to do with star trek. When has Star Trek been about Combat? There was little to none in ALL the shows that ever came out, in fact the few episodes that did focus on combat are consider the weakest by far. "
    Leonard Nemoys voice is in it. That most likely keeps 90% of the people in it. 
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Evilsbane
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " This games problem besides it being a rush job was that it has fucking nothing to do with star trek. When has Star Trek been about Combat? There was little to none in ALL the shows that ever came out, in fact the few episodes that did focus on combat are consider the weakest by far. "
    Leonard Nemoys voice is in it. That most likely keeps 90% of the people in it.  "
    Coolest part of the game by far, but that was about it.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    Leonard Nemoys voice is in it. That most likely keeps 90% of the people in it.  "
    Coolest part of the game by far, but that was about it. "
    In the quick looks of the game. What part of the game did the guys get more excited about? Aside from the dance emote? *and that little dude running around* 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

I liked what I played of it, other stuff just came up.

Eve is a totally different game and about a thousand times more ambitious than STO was.  There probably are benefits to developing in Iceland at the moment (like most of their income being in foreign currency, when their own currency has gone totally to shit - the CCP guys are probably the richest people in Iceland nowadays), but I don't think "it's harder to lay people off" is genereally considered a benefit for business, assuming that's even true.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill said:

"STO has very few subscribers. It's 90% life timers. I really don't read these forums anymore... but once a week I check out the STO forums for a good laugh. When I saw this dev comment I just had to share it's sheer stupidity, a clear example of who's behind the game and who Cryptic has on their staff. The thing is, kicking a dog while it's down is  necessary every once in a while because if they do manage to get back up, people might praise them for doing a good job when they haven't. That has been a leading cause of how publishers like Atari and studios like Cryptic get away with so much bullshit. As consumers we cannot support such half-assed snake oil selling bullshitters. They do not deserve jobs if they cannot release credible material. It's up to the next generations to learn from their mistakes, not emulate them because after a year of shit they pulled it off and got a pat on the back for it. "

How exactly do you know how many subscribers STO has? And where did you get this 90% lifers percentage? You can't make this stuff up, if you have official numbers give us a link to them, if not and you're making this stuff up, then hell I can do that too. Did you know STO has more subscribers than WOW and that lifers are only 1% of the total number? Amazing, no? :P
    As for visiting the official forums once a week and reading all those stupid arguments, as I said, I'm a subscriber and I don't care about this shit anymore. I really don't understand why you would waste your time on a game you don't play and seem to hate so much.

As consumers we cannot support such half-assed snake oil selling bullshitters. 

Sure, if that's what you think, you already made your point loud and clear to them by canceling your subscription. That's it, you're done with this game. It's time move on to something you actually care about. Seeing that more than half of your posts are on this forum makes me think that you like to talk about the things you hate more than the things you like. Stop being so negative, man. :)
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend:  I like you so I won't go into detail. When you realize my opinions aren't ment to put down companies so much as they are to WARN people about the bad ones.... then maybe you'll understand. You can ask me why I'm negative till you're blue in the face....... but I explained it why a down dog needs to be kicked, and you've seen my posts that praise when somebody does do good. The simple fact is, they deserve no praise.... and when they continue to blunder I'll point out the bad moments that amuse me.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Yeah, til they start putting their games on the fuckin' Xbox, I don't plan on buying anymore MMOs.
    I'm figuring Star Wars is just gonna suck as well.  No more MMOs for me.

simonius001475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By simonius001475

Whatever is going on, I default and agree with Axxxel in all STO related discussions. With love, Admiral Jim.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Could I have a link to the STO mini-ER please?

simonius001475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By simonius001475

@Lemoncookie01 its not actually an ER its a 10part-ish Quick Look during the beta

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By PhatSeeJay

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.