Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Dear STO: Stop Selling me on you. I can't afford you.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Turambar

It took awhile for the game to warm up on me, but now, I'm really bummed my beta progress isn't going to carry over, probably the only reason left keeping me from picking this game up at launch.

The biggest problems with the beginning of the game were the dull quests, and the ship to ship combat whose mechanics was extremely limited by the lack of weapons on my ship.  But now that I have a tier 3 heavy cruiser, shooting phasers out of ever orifice, and honestly interesting quests that capitalizes on a good old Star Trek adventure like time travel and shape shifting subterfuge, I can confidently say Jeff did not waste that 300 dollars.  Ok, maybe he wasted about a third of it if the game completely crashes and burns after I finish up in the Romulan sector.

But man, with so many things coming out soon...curse my need to repay student loans!

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Stop making posts about how the game is interesting, I can't afford it either! I don't need any more MMOs in my life. Ever.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By mike
    @Turambar: Tell us more about the heavy cruiser! All that interests me about this game is getting new ships and upgrading them, but I'm still a Lt Grade 7.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar
    @MB: It has 6 weapon ports, three in the front, three in the back.  I have one phaser array in the front and 2 torpedo banks in the front, 3 phaser arrays in the back.  Every space encounter turns into a giant light show where 4 phaser banks are trained on a target no matter where she flies, and then turning my bow and launching a full spread of torpedoes followed by a satisfying explosion that has yet to not make me feel fuzzy inside. 

That said, there is one down side.  It takes a long time for you to get your next tier of ships.  If they made it so that you can get a new one every 5 grades, I'd love it a lot more.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By mike
    @Turambar: That sounds totally awesome. I just watched a video of a heavy cruiser on youtube, it looks so bad ass. 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar
    @MB: The absurd might of 6 phaser banks, dear god.  Edit: I really need to get EPS Power Transfer on my engineer.  Boarding party can go take a hike if for 600 a shot.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deusoma

I feel exactly the same way. I'm genuinely surprised at how much I'm liking the game so far. The big thing holding back my temptation, apart from the lack of funds, is the fact that I know I'll get very bored eventually if I don't have a group of friends playing it. That's what happened with Champions Online, no one I knew was playing it and I didn't meet anyone fun in-game.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAST
    @MB said:

" @Turambar: That sounds totally awesome. I just watched a video of a heavy cruiser on youtube, it looks so bad ass."

That's interesting... I just came from a thread that you locked a few posts below this one because it had a youtube video in it without "sufficient commentary" that would inspire an "adequate discussion." Yet here you are, posting some random youtube video... Funny how there actually ARE occasions when just posting a youtube video is sufficient enough in and of itself to inspire an adequate discussion. Maybe these rules are ... Wrong... And uncalled for? Maybe?

Although I supposed you will use the lame justification of "Well, the rules say "Don't create a topic with only a youtube video" not "Don't reply to a topic with only a youtube video"

(Please don't "off" me from the forums like Hitler would "off" anyone that spoke out against his "rules." This rule is a bit "Nazi"... So naturally I'm worried... /beg)
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NickL
    @MAST said:
    " @MB said:

" @Turambar: That sounds totally awesome. I just watched a video of a heavy cruiser on youtube, it looks so bad ass."

That's interesting... I just came from a thread that you locked a few posts below this one because it had a youtube video in it without "sufficient commentary" that would inspire an "adequate discussion." Yet here you are, posting some random youtube video... Funny how there actually ARE occasions when just posting a youtube video is sufficient enough in and of itself to inspire an adequate discussion. Maybe these rules are ... Wrong... And uncalled for? Maybe?

Although I supposed you will use the lame justification of "Well, the rules say "Don't create a topic with only a youtube video" not "Don't reply to a topic with only a youtube video"      (Please don't "off" me from the forums like Hitler would "off" anyone that spoke out against his "rules." This rule is a bit "Nazi"... So naturally I'm worried... /beg) "
    except that video improves an already happening conversation, because we all can now see a heavy cruiser first hand...
    did someones feeling get hurt when he locked their thread?
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAST
    @NickL said:

" ...did someones feeling get hurt when he locked their thread? "

You are welcome to look through all my previous posts. There aren't that many. I haven't ever had a thread locked that I can remember. Not even sure if I've ever even posted a youtube video. I just personally think that rule is a bit excessive.

Also, the rule specifically says to not post a youtube video unless "you provide adequate discussion value" to accompany the video. Notice that it says "you" not the "video." As in YOU have to provide adequate commentary. Like, a paragraph. You can't post a video, and let it speak for itself. That's the whole purpose of the rule. To prevent that type of thing.

Fact of the matter is, his one sentence comment followed by a youtube video is no different then the following guy's youtube video, followed by a one sentence comment:

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-online/61-21810/in-leu-of-the-star-trek-online-endurance-sprint-i-present/35-384911/#5 

You can try and argue it all I want, but it's sooooo baarely different that if you try and argue that it's different, you are just splitting hairs.

Just sayin...
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MAST

... Just to really drive the nail home. I draw your attention to this:

"Usually one or two well written and decent sized paragraphs to go along with the video should be enough for it to not be considered spam. If you feel you cannot write that reasonable and adequate amount of original commentary on the video to inspire discussion value in your topic, then chances are you shouldn't make the post."

Which was posted by Hamz, and can be found here.

Like I said, the argument could be used that it only counts if it's the first post in the topic, not the reply, but again. That's so baarely different, it's splitting hairs.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NickL
    @MAST said:
    " @NickL said:

" ...did someones feeling get hurt when he locked their thread? "

You are welcome to look through all my previous posts. There aren't that many. I haven't ever had a thread locked that I can remember. Not even sure if I've ever even posted a youtube video. I just personally think that rule is a bit excessive.

Also, the rule specifically says to not post a youtube video unless "you provide adequate discussion value" to accompany the video. Notice that it says "you" not the "video." As in YOU have to provide adequate commentary. Like, a paragraph. You can't post a video, and let it speak for itself. That's the whole purpose of the rule. To prevent that type of thing.

Fact of the matter is, his one sentence comment followed by a youtube video is no different then the following guy's youtube video, followed by a one sentence comment:

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-online/61-21810/in-leu-of-the-star-trek-online-endurance-sprint-i-present/35-384911/#5    You can try and argue it all I want, but it's sooooo baarely different that if you try and argue that it's different, you are just splitting hairs.   Just sayin... "
    actually the rule was created because the forums used to be flooded with threads that consisted of "LOK I FOUND FUNNY ON INTRWEBS" followed by a youtube video, not because a meaningful video is added to an ongoing discussion...
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAST
    @NickL said:
    " ...actually the rule was created because the forums used to be flooded with threads that consisted of "LOK I FOUND FUNNY ON INTRWEBS" followed by a youtube video, not because a meaningful video is added to an ongoing discussion... "
    Refer to my post just above your new one. I think maybe we posted at the same time.

The rule is very explicit, what MB did in this thread is no different then the other thread. And the fact that his one sentence post, followed by a youtube video is considered good enough as a reply, but an initial topic creation in the same manner is not. That's absurd, and as I've said a couple times now already. It's just splitting hairs. The youtube video MB posted would have been just as interesting, and "discussion inspiring" if he had created a brand new topic just for it and simply said "Hey guys! Check out how awesome Heavy Cruisers are!" Yet that's not ok, but if it's a reply, that is?

Absurd, absurd, absurd...
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Turambar: You may think the quests might have seemed dull at the beginning because that was 3 or 4 patches ago. Now the tutorial has a narrator to guide you. The opening intro kicks ass and spock narrates it. Who knows what other quests they've added. It's going to be even better when it hits live. I doubt you'll mind when you're having too much fun to notice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.