Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Has it improved at all since launch?

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Buccura

If the game does go Free To Play, I may give it a go, but I was curious as to whether or not improvements have been made to STO at all, since when it launched it got less than a stellar reception, no pun intended.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By l4wd0g

It's always been OK. They've been adding to it. The best part of the game is still the space combat.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By dagas

I played it in October so a few months after launch. I'm not really an MMO person, but I'm a huge Star Trek fan. I liked a lot about it. If you know your Star Trek trivia there's quite a lot of things in there that will make you go "Oh I remember that Voyager episode" or "That's referring to that guy who was in that TNG episode" etc. I like the space combat but the ground combat was not good at all. Don't know what they have changed since then, if they fix the ground combat I think it's a great game, now it's just good, for an MMO.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

I hope it never goes Free To Play. Just for Jeff's sake. I'm not sure he could handle that news.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I hope it never goes Free To Play. Just for Jeff's sake. I'm not sure he could handle that news. "
    If it goes Free To Play, the lifetime sub would still be there and giving him full benefits like the one in Champions does.
    A free to play Star Trek Online would probably limit you to certain skills and ship types while a life time sub would get all that stuff without having to upgrade to a gold account (which is basically just a subscription account).
    Roddykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Roddykat

I've recently read where it got Best New MMO for 2010 (whether that says anything given how many came out, I don't know). It has definitely changed since launch. I just now logged from it having not been on in months (minus a quick trip in 2 weeks ago to re acclimate) It looks WAY different and it looks as though made a few changes since the last I've played. So far, it's improved cosmetically and it appears they made other gameplay additions, as well. That would probably count as improved.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd definitely be interested if it became free to play.  As a Star Trek fan, I enjoyed it..  but it wasn't good enough to put down a subscription for.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

I'll check it out if it goes F2P.  I was very disappointed in the subscription version of Champions Online, and so I am wary of all Cryptic MMOs until I try them out.  I like Star Trek though so I am interested in seeing the game at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.