Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Slashing prices and souls with one stroke

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lockwoodx

Over at TenTon Hammer there is an interesting article that caught my eye, then filled it with a tear.

After the initial launch time flood of box sales begins to dwindle, it's inevitable that a company will look for ways to boost sales. In the rush to show off the mad skills of their sales team though, a company can go too far in their offered incentives. Knocking $10 off the sales tag for a few days is fine, but tossing an extra 60 days of free playtime on top of that? That’s just insane.

Limited time double bonus! Buy Star Trek Online Collector's Edition before 9pm PST on Wed March 3rd and get FREE SHIPPING (* lower 48 states only) and extra 60 days free!

At a cursory glance, it sounds like a great idea. Offering new players an extra 60 days of free play (for a total of three months) to buy Star Trek Online before a predetermined hour on March 3rd? Who wouldn't jump at the chance to buy, especially if the person in question was already interested in the game? Absolutely brilliant! 

Brilliant that is, right up until the point you realize that you just told the hundreds of thousands of players that supported you through beta and the first month of the game being live to go screw themselves. I have no doubt that no one at Cryptic (even the marketing gurus) had that intention when this plan was formulated. Unfortunately, as evidenced by the wild fire running rampant on the official forums right now, that aforementioned community certainly feels like they did.

What do you think? Is the community over reacting?
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FlipperDesert

I paid an extra £30 for three months subsctiption three weeks ago.

No, they're not.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Legend

I would say it's only fair to give everyone who already bought the CE another 30-day free play period.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I suppose it's a bit annoying, but ultimately they have every right to cut the price & offer more play time. Game prices & content change, and everyone who bought it knew that this could (and probably would) happen. Maybe they didn't expect it quite this soon, but it was inevitably going to happen sooner or later.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend said:

" I would say it's only fair to give everyone who already bought the CE another 30-day free play period. "

They diminished the value of the lifetime subs a great deal with this promotion. I think you guys should get a free 1000 cryptic points or something.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

Isn't Cryptic notorious for this kind of shit?

Pissing off those who supported them, I mean.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lockwoodx

The regular game is also 10$ off the 39.99$ price right now, so you can get STO for 30 bucks with 90 days free. At least that is a more realistic price for the value of the game in its current state but it makes everyone who paid 49.99$ retail look like suckers.

http://atari.com/games/startrek_online/   

Limited time double bonus!  Buy Star Trek Online PC-DVD before 9pm PST on Wed March 3rd and get $10 off and extra 60 days free! Your code for additional 60 days will be included in your emailed transaction confirmation.    

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By bacongames

I'm conflicted because on one hand this is just a dick move to those who did purchase it.  At least give them some free time to play.

However a basic understanding of economics is often lacking and so people don't know to anticipate a business doing this kind of thing (which happens incredibly often, especially for PC games).  Personally I don't feel sorry for people who jumped on the game at launch, especially when the price model for this game was very unreasonable to begin with.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hatking

Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if I bought the game... then again I think that my not buying this game has a lot to do with having the foresight to know this sort of shit would happen.  Whatever... MMORPGs can go fuck off.  I'll bite once I see a single game use that $15 you pay monthly for anything other than fluffing their wallets.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sixghost
    @Legend said:
    " I would say it's only fair to give everyone who already bought the CE another 30-day free play period. "

No way they would do that. This game already sounds like it is tanking, the last thing they would do is cut off a revenue source like that for a month.

It's pretty fucked up what cryptic did, but the people who bought the game before this have no recourse but to complain as loudly as they can, and never give cryptic another dollar.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill said:

" @Legend said:

They diminished the value of the lifetime subs a great deal with this promotion. I think you guys should get a free 1000 cryptic points or something. "
    Well, since this offer is only available in the States for a week, only on the DVD edition, and only increases the free play time period by 30 days, it doesn't really diminish the value of lifetime subs. I wouldn't mind more free Cryptic points, however, even though I already have 740 free points that I have no use for at the moment. :)

@sixghost said:

This game already sounds like it is tanking

How did you conclude that.. because of this offer? MMOs offer deals like this all the time, that doesn't mean they're tanking. The game is still very popular. Probably more people prefer to buy the digital edition (which has more extras), and because of that, Atari is trying to increase the sales of the DVD edition through deals like this.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend: Axx... buddy, pal... love you but did you miss the part where I posted ....?

"  The regular game is also 10$ off the 39.99$ price right now, so you can get STO for 30 bucks with 90 days free. At least that is a more realistic price for the value of the game in its current state but it makes everyone who paid 49.99$ retail look like suckers."

That's a much bigger deal than you described. No worries you're cool so I'll let it slide. ;)
    jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By jeffk38uk

I was wondering what ppl were going on about 60 days extra. I can see how this can be annoying for those who adopted STO early on. 

On the other hand, States only so it has no bearing to the rest of the world if this was available.

superfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By superfoot

Does anybody know how Champions Online is doing overall? 
    Over here in the UK you can buy it for £6.99 at the moment, down from £29.99 when it came out. 
    For a regulr game I'd say thats a bad sign but with these online mmo's with their monthly payments it's a bit harder to judge.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lockwoodx

Fail company fails more. The guy who started the thread on the official forums was banned for speaking out again Cryptic and Atari. 

The moral of the story kids is if you don't drink the kool-aid then Cryptic will ban you. They are starting to make SOE look good.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill said:
    " @Legend: Axx... buddy, pal... love you but did you miss the part where I posted ....?

"  The regular game is also 10$ off the 39.99$ price right now, so you can get STO for 30 bucks with 90 days free. At least that is a more realistic price for the value of the game in its current state but it makes everyone who paid 49.99$ retail look like suckers."

That's a much bigger deal than you described. No worries you're cool so I'll let it slide. ;) "
    OK, consider this:
    1. The game is doing very well in Europe. It was the best selling game in the UK when it launched. But, it's probably not doing as well in the US.
    2. The limited offer subscriptions and preorder extras brought Cryptic more profit than they were expecting to get so early in the game's lifetime.
    3. The digital edition of the game is probably selling better than the DVD edition, which explains why the 60 free days deal comes only with the DVD editions.
    4. I know the price cut is earlier than expected, but because the game is doing so well righ now, Cryptic wants to get the people who are on the fence to buy the game in hope of them becoming long time subscribers.

So, is this fair to the people who supported the game even before it officially launched? As I said in my first post, no it's absolutely not fair. From a business point of view, however, this will increase the sales of the game in a region in which it's not doing very well compared to other regions. It will increase the sales of the DVD edition which is not doing as well as the digital edition. And it will bring Cryptic more potential long-time subscribers. It's not fair, but it's surely a very smart business move. 

BTW, I'm not trying to defend Cryptic or anything; I just wanted to state the fact that if some people are mad because a company is more concerned about making profit than making them happy, they're obviously naive. I'm actually expecting more deals like this to come in the next 3-6 months.

Oh, and Buzzkill I want to know your honest opinion about what I post, so please don't let anything "slide". :P
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By PhatSeeJay

*Shrugs* there's two things that lacks in this image.
    First of all I don't see if this was his last message in the forums before the ban, for all I know he could flail out like a madman later down in the thread.

Secondly, there's a link there that I can only assume leads to some moderator or some form of customer support for all I care and I see that as an instigation to spam that will be impossible to handle. Neither of which I see in any way to be in his, others or people with other problems' favor. Had he recomended everyone to post their outrage in this said thread to keep it alive and he would be banned after that, then I would raise my eyebrow.

Either way. I think it's a good move to motivate people to come and play.. But I do feel pretty kicked in the nuts to not get an extra 30 days myself after participating in the beta and all. I can only hope they'll take a long hard look at what they started with this move to keep us current playersh appy.

lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lukusluke

What should they do? Give everyone 60 days free.

What will they do? Nothing.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Alex_Murphy

If they were going to do that so soon after launch then they should have given all the people who already bought it something. In game money, a pet tribble, just something so it doesn't seem like the thank you present for buying the game day one was a kick to the nuts.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Geno

Screwing over early adopters (i.e. your most rabid fans) is not a way to improve your fanbase. News at 11. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow what a Nice way to make your early fanbase feel like you don't give a shit, glad I didn't get this game even though I really was going to pick it up, screw cryptic.
    Seriously WHO makes these decisions?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Geno said:
    " Screwing over early adopters (i.e. your most rabid fans) is not a way to improve your fanbase. News at 11.  "
    Exactly..... all they did was pave the way for F2P.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend said:

" @Buzzkill said:

" @Legend: Axx... buddy, pal... love you but did you miss the part where I posted ....?

That's a much bigger deal than you described. No worries you're cool so I'll let it slide. ;) "
    OK, consider this:
    1. The game is doing very well in Europe. It was the best selling game in the UK when it launched. But, it's probably not doing as well in the US.
    2. The limited offer subscriptions and preorder extras brought Cryptic more profit than they were expecting to get so early in the game's lifetime.
    3. The digital edition of the game is probably selling better than the DVD edition, which explains why the 60 free days deal comes only with the DVD editions.4. I know the price cut is earlier than expected, but because the game is doing so well righ now, Cryptic wants to get the people who are on the fence to buy the game in hope of them becoming long time subscribers.  So, is this fair to the people who supported the game even before it officially launched? As I said in my first post, no it's absolutely not fair. From a business point of view, however, this will increase the sales of the game in a region in which it's not doing very well compared to other regions. It will increase the sales of the DVD edition which is not doing as well as the digital edition. And it will bring Cryptic more potential long-time subscribers. It's not fair, but it's surely a very smart business move.   BTW, I'm not trying to defend Cryptic or anything; I just wanted to state the fact that if some people are mad because a company is more concerned about making profit than making them happy, they're obviously naive. I'm actually expecting more deals like this to come in the next 3-6 months. Oh, and Buzzkill I want to know your honest opinion about what I post, so please don't let anything "slide". :P "

1. Euros buy into crazy shit. Because it's popular there (in europe) means it's 95% more popular in the rest of the world. No offense but you guys are slow to react. 
    2. The limited offers don't mean shit if they diminish and demean their values less than 30 days after launch by releasing even better deals. 
    3. The digital edition of any game sells better than any game these days because of the magical wonders of the internet. That does not change the fact if people bought the digital version of STO for $49.99 at launch, they are getting completely screwed now by the new offer of $39.99 - $10.00 + 60 extra days free. If Cryptic wants to continue their business they should invest in  petroleum companies to make lubricant for their mmo customers. 

Please don't try to defend them..... no amount will help. You'll only end up looking like an ass just like Fragstoff turned out.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill said:

" @Legend said:

" @Buzzkill said:

OK, consider this:
    3. The digital edition of the game is probably selling better than the DVD edition, which explains why the 60 free days deal comes only with the DVD editions.4. I know the price cut is earlier than expected, but because the game is doing so well righ now, Cryptic wants to get the people who are on the fence to buy the game in hope of them becoming long time subscribers.  So, is this fair to the people who supported the game even before it officially launched? As I said in my first post, no it's absolutely not fair. From a business point of view, however, this will increase the sales of the game in a region in which it's not doing very well compared to other regions. It will increase the sales of the DVD edition which is not doing as well as the digital edition. And it will bring Cryptic more potential long-time subscribers. It's not fair, but it's surely a very smart business move.   BTW, I'm not trying to defend Cryptic or anything; I just wanted to state the fact that if some people are mad because a company is more concerned about making profit than making them happy, they're obviously naive. I'm actually expecting more deals like this to come in the next 3-6 months. Oh, and Buzzkill I want to know your honest opinion about what I post, so please don't let anything "slide". :P "
     1. Euros buy into crazy shit. Because it's popular there (in europe) means it's 95% more popular in the rest of the world. No offense but you guys are slow to react. 2. The limited offers don't mean shit if they diminish and demean their values less than 30 days after launch by releasing even better deals. 3. The digital edition of any game sells better than any game these days because of the magical wonders of the internet. That does not change the fact if people bought the digital version of STO for $49.99 at launch, they are getting completely screwed now by the new offer of $39.99 - $10.00 + 60 extra days free. If Cryptic wants to continue their business they should invest in  petroleum companies to make lubricant for their mmo customers.  Please don't try to defend them..... no amount will help. You'll only end up looking like an ass just like Fragstoff turned out. "
    LOL, That's more like it. I don't have a problem looking like a complete ass as long as I'm speaking my mind. 

As I said, I'm not defending Cryptic, I was just trying to explain what I think is the rationale behind this deal, and point out that if you really wasn't expecting something like this to happen sooner or later, then you're naive and don't know anything about business. It's not fair and it's not pretty; the suits will do anything that they think is in the best interest of their company. If it makes the consumers happy, then so be it; if not, they don't really give a shit about what they think most of the time. As long as they are making profit, it's acceptable to make some people angry.

As for your response to the points I mentioned:
    1. That doesn't seem to be the case here; the game looks like it's doing better in Europe than the US. The only way to absolutely prove this point, however, is by looking at the sales figures in both regions which are not available right now.
    2. This point wasn't about whether the limited offers' value has been diminished or not (I stated my opinion about that in my second post); I simply meant to say that Cryptic made more money than they were expecting so early, and because of that, they can afford to offer crazy deals like this which will bring them more potential subscribers.
    3. Indeed, but again my point is that, Atari wants to sell all the DVDs they have, and they think this is the best way to do it.  BTW the digital version has been priced $39.99 on Steam even before the game's official launch. So, if some people bought it for $49.99, it's their fault for not looking for the best deal available at the time.

I'm only posting this here, however. Here's what I posted on STO's forum:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2248578&postcount=1765 
    I just want it to be clear that I'm not supporting this business decision, and I'm definitely not going to say anything that may justify it on their official forum.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

LOL Blizzard FTW

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

What fucking took them so long? They're finally offering a decent amount of play time with the box. This should have been the practice from the first.

I might pick it up now since I actually get the amount of included play time to almost equal the price. This is one complaint I have against most MMOs.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By ImBigInJapan

I just bought the DVD version on sale from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. I really can't rationally feel upset or ripped off by the existence of this deal. People purchase something when they feel the value of the product is within the boundaries of judgment they set for themselves. It's entirely justifiable to be annoyed when you purchase something and are then disappointed because it did not meet your original expectations (and I am certainly not trying to belittle anybody who feels fleeced by this game at that level), but the existence of this deal does nothing to downgrade the original value judgments we each made when we purchased the game at whatever terms we agreed on with the seller.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By septim

Yeah this is something expected for MMOs, just not at this incredibly early stage.

Truth be told I am very tempted to try it out. $30 for 3 months seems like a pretty nice deal.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Well if someone has the chance to get in on that offer, sure I would recommend you to try it. I think it's a nice deal and the value itself might be a bit questionable given the fact that you can level to Admiral in two weeks and then there's nothing more to do (yet). But with three free months you can keep tabs on what's going on and try out the new things as they are implemented.

(I'm likely going to drop out of STO for now, mostly because I can't afford the monthly fee right now)

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Legend

Cryptic has finally made an official statement:

Hi everyone,
    First, we respect the time, energy and passion the community has put into their opinions regarding the promotion that ran this weekend on Atari.com, offering 60-days of free play.

Like many companies, we are actively trying to sell games we are very proud of in an extremely competitive marketplace and we are always testing new ways to get more people using our products. The weekend promotion at Atari.com was one of those experiments. In the case of a game like Star Trek, we believe a larger number of players is a benefit to the entire community.

We will continue to look at the best ways to add new users to our game in a competitive marketplace while keeping our current players happy. Your feedback – good, bad and ugly – is extremely helpful and appreciated.

We won’t always get it right, but we’re always trying to do the right thing by you.

We do apologize and we appreciate your patience as we continue to do our best to make Star Trek Online the best game possible.

Thank you.

Philip Dean
    Director of Customer Support

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2268061

So.. no free months for old subscribers. I guess this will only make people complain more. :P

Edit: Someone posted this video as a response on the official forums. I lol'd when Beckett said "It was just good business" and everyone started screaming "abandon ship": 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcLybhbChQ
    Let's hope this won't be the case here. :D

@PhatSeeJay said:

" *Shrugs* there's two things that lacks in this image. First of all I don't see if this was his last message in the forums before the ban, for all I know he could flail out like a madman later down in the thread.  Secondly, there's a link there that I can only assume leads to some moderator or some form of customer support for all I care and I see that as an instigation to spam that will be impossible to handle. Neither of which I see in any way to be in his, others or people with other problems' favor. Had he recomended everyone to post their outrage in this said thread to keep it alive and he would be banned after that, then I would raise my eyebrow.  "

You guessed right. They temporarily banned him because he posted a link to one of the developers profile, and asked everyone to send their complaints to him.  I pm'd Zodi-emish, the user who posted the topic, asking him why he was banned. He sent me a reply just now:

it's not for ever, but it is until after everyone has to resub, and believe it or not it is baoutt he topic. apparently you can't link the name of a dev to a link . ( no joke that is what htey got me for. ) so seadgir game me 16 points right off the bat, no warning nothing. the only reason I guess they didn't close the thread is because by then it was already getting large, and it was already getting out on the internet. ten ton hammer hosted it. 

Edit EX: 
    Wait a minute! Did I read this correctly?

...the promotion that ran this weekend on Atari.com 

It seems the offer has already expired. I no longer see it on Atari.com. I thought they announced it would expire 9pm PST, March 3rd. Hmm..
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend: Seadgir is the dick that gave me 20 points right off the bat. Just another reason not to ever bother with Cryptic. They abuse their power and shit on the customers. Are you honestly surprised they shut down the promotion so quickly? It's going to get them into more trouble now because they've falsely advertised it and committed fraud. I caught Sony doing the same back in 2006 with something they fudged on their web site, advertising 32 inch bravias as full 1080p. it cost them 2 grand and a brand new 40 inch tv for me to not start legal class action. ;)
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill: It gets worse:
      http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-15961-Charleston-MMORPG-Examiner~y2010m3d1-Ataricom-promotion-causes-galaxysized-uproar-among-Star-Trek-Online-community

Adding to the frustration, many forum users are reporting getting e-mails from Atari customer service stating that there never was an offer for 60 extra days of play time, leading to accusations of a cover-up on Atari's part. 

So, apparently, no one is getting the 60 day offer. Is all this just a mistake, a misunderstanding or, as the article mentions, a cover-up? I guess I was giving Atari too much credit explaining why the offer was a smart business decision. Whoever is responsible for this has no clue how to run a business. You don't come up with a crazy offer like this, make a lot of people angry, apologize for it, then say that there was never an offer in the first place, and make even more people angry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.