Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

So, explain the STO Cryptic Store to me.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

Alright, if you didn't know for today (December 30, 2010) Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe edition is $7.50 on Steam. Since I have the day off, and I love Star Trek, I bought it. While it's downloading and I'm making my account I noticed the Cryptic Store. Now that I'm in it I'm rather puzzled. There is an obscene amount of uniforms, ships, and races available for purchase in this thing. Are these all things that are exclusive to the store or can you get some of this stuff by just playing the game? I've never really dealt with any games that use micro-transactions so I could use some guidance.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

You WILL get some small changes to uniform ingame, and you will get different ships as you level, but what's in the store is not available in the game.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CenturionCajun

Hmm, for a game that still has a full subscription fee that seems like a strange choice to lock away so much content as something you have to pay extra for. I have no idea how much Cryptic Points cost but this looks like it could get quite expensive.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

I think some of that stuff is stuff that came with collector's editions or digital deluxe editions.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

The cryptic store is there so you can continue to pay them regardless of your lifetime subscription. STO dropped like a rock to about 20k people and have stayed there all year. It's a struggling game on the verge but Cryptic and Croteam are about all atari has left so they are kept afloat despite champions online and STO being complete failures.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By cgoodno
    @Buzzkill said:
    " The cryptic store is there so you can continue to pay them regardless of your lifetime subscription. STO dropped like a rock to about 20k people and have stayed there all year. It's a struggling game on the verge but Cryptic and Croteam are about all atari has left so they are kept afloat despite champions online and STO being complete failures. "
    Champions Online is hardly a complete failure.  It is about as big of a failure as LotrO, which is far from in this day in age.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.